PDA

View Full Version : New Sig owner. Need some answers.

40caljustice
September 20, 2011, 09:15 PM
Yesterday I responded to an ad in our local trading post for a glock 38. I initially went to buy the glock. Long story short, we got to talking and I passed on the g38 and bought a Sig 2009 and a Sig 2022 with 50rds of federal 40s&w fmj. 500 bucks.

Both guns are used but well taken care of. The barrel on the sp2009 is worn on the outside. It has a decocker and a slide safety which I like. The 2022 is in great shape. The barrel has very little wear on the outside surface and it came with a plastic blackhawk that locks once the gun goes in. It has a unlock button that can only be unlocked using your trigger finger as you draw the weapon. Pretty neat. Both guns came with 2 mags. 2-10rd mags for the sp2009 and 1-12 and 1-10 for the sp2022.

Now you know what I have, can you tell me what I got. My Sig knowledge is very basic. I bought these guns on the fly just because of the Sig name. I talked him out of a hundred bucks and I think I got a deal but I need someone who knows Sigs to reassure me.

Are they dependable? Do they stand up to the Sig name? Did I make a mistake?

Remember, I have no experience with Sig Arms. Thanks

AustinTX
September 20, 2011, 09:20 PM
The Sig Pros are very good guns. Much, much better than Sig's other poly pistol, the P250, in my opinion. You didn't make a mistake.

Don Glock
September 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
^^this.

40caljustice
September 21, 2011, 02:11 AM
After a little research I found out my Sig is a sp2009-9-BMS. Apparently these are fairly unique and rare. The company manufactured them for some south American police force or military group but they couldn't pay Sig. They inturn took the slides, just a few thousand of them, and put them on existing sp2009's and sold them to the civilian market. What is out there is it. No more were or will ever be made again.

So I partially answered my own question but any other input will still be appreciated. Does anyone know how to trace the serial number and could someone give me the possible value of the firearm?

RC20
September 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
You hit one out of the park. Both are keepers.

Sig forum probably can get you stared on the 2009 and its value and will leave at that, but its a keeper just for the oddity, and its a very solid gun in its own right per the following.

Sig SP2022 is not a costly gun (you can buy a non sight sight one at Nelson Tactical for $379). Last quote I had from Buds for a night sight with 15 round magazine was $460 (9mm, 40 may be a bit more)

However, its an extremely well done gun that matches up equally with guns twice the price (including the so called all metal Sigs). I have shot it side by side with an HK P30. Sig has a better trger, the P30 had better grip).

The 2022 is extremely reliable (or should be, if not something is wrong), its very accurate and it handles very well (I would say great but the P30 is better in that regard and sets a very high bar.

danfive555
September 22, 2011, 09:02 PM
You did very well. Would love to see pics of the 2009 :)

BigBrute
September 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
+1 to all previous. Great job, and good shooting!

40caljustice
September 23, 2011, 12:30 AM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/d036238d-ff9b-c72f.jpg

The sp2009.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/d036238d-004a-c2bb.jpg

The sp2022

Honestly, I like the sp2009 a lot better. They feel exactly the same in my hand but I prefer the slide safety. I can carry cocked and locked with no double action trigger pull.

The sp2022 shoots a lot smoother. I put about 100 rounds thru each of them today. I had a few stovepipes and ftf's per mag with the sp2009. Another fella at the range shot it and it didn't even hiccup. I'm figuring I was limp wristing. I hope I get it together because I wanna carry this gun. I love my 40cals but this 9mm makes the cut. My follow up shots were so tight and on point.

Thanks guys for all the great info. I'll check the Sig forum too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk