PDA

View Full Version : The sequel to my long going Solo hassel with Kimber...the final chapter

IMTHDUKE
September 20, 2011, 08:52 PM
Many of you know by my many post concerning my Kimber Solo my back and forth with Kimber, but for those who do not and would have an interest in their CS and their response to my many issues with the gun....below is my letter to them on the 3rd trip in for repair:

This is the third time I have sent this gun in because it will not function. Kimber Solo S1102156
First time….FTF and mag release that could not be released with a full mag without extreme two hand pressure. After keeping the gun for about 6 weeks. Returned with mag released fixed, but failure to feed….both using 124gr and 147gr Remington golden saber and Federal Hyd-shok.
Sent it back…for second time. Return with barrel replaced with no explanation as to why. The stuck mag release was back to where it was before. Had not repaired that. It also rubs the finish off the bottom of the dust cover on inside of gun but was told this was up to specs. Really? I have no other guns that do that. After two trips back to Kimber. At the range would not feed any of the above rounds.
Bottom line…I bought a new high dollar gun that would not work and repaired twice and still will not function. Kimber has had the gun more than I have.
Kimber says that, your goal is total customer satisfaction. I am totally dissatisfied and disgusted with, to me a useless product. I am requesting that you either refund my money paid for the gun or send me a new gun that will function reliability. This is a reasonable request not even considering my frustration and time and money spend on trying to get what I paid for to function. I bought the gun on Gunbroker when they first came out and paid the Manufactures suggest retail at $729. I do not have the original receipt.
Please let me know what you intend to do to remedy this issue. Thanks.

End letter.

Kimber called today and told me they would be sending me a new Solo. Because it would be a different serial # they could not mail it directly to me, but would need to mail to one of their dealers in my area or to an FFL holder. I had my FFL guy email them his FFL to ship to him.

Now, the dilemma for me is this: and I would like your opinions.

Should I sell it or plan on keeping it? I can sell and not loose money, but I do like the gun if it will be 100%. But, if it's not, I don't want to go through the shipping back and forth again(on their dime, btw). What would you do?

checkmyswag
September 20, 2011, 09:03 PM
I understand any company can produce a lemon...

I prefer superbly reliable models, not just individual examples.

The Solo is beautiful and would be such a wonderful carry gun by all accounts, but the wide variety in terms of reliability is just not acceptable to me.

Call the Rugers ugly, but they work.

So I would sell/trade...but wouldn't fault you for holding onto it if it is a very reliable example.

Gunner442
September 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
I gotta say bail on Kimber. Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice...

OcSpeed
September 20, 2011, 09:10 PM
I would get rid of that thing asap. What if you have issues again? If you do keep it and since you have been able to get them to take it back hope that things break (if they're going to) in that whole 1 year warranty period.

I had a tleII I bought new, they wouldn't even let me send that piece of junk back, failures of every kind, their solutions the three times I've called- run it wet, run it wetter, and make sure you're running it wet and we don't believe there's anything wrong with it. FTE's FTF's FTRB's, yeah it's perfect! This was after a 950 round "break in". And yes this was during the first month of their worthless 1 year warranty.

They care about customer service like I care about air speed velocity of an african swallow.

If you get a Kimber that works, they are some sexy looking guns, otherwise should've spent the $$ on extra ammo for guns that do work.

C0untZer0
September 20, 2011, 09:15 PM
My gut feeling is that you should sell it "NIB / NEVER FIRED !!!"

The main thing that makes me think that you should sell it is that I think there are better micromatics out there anyway.

"Micromatic" is the term that knowledgeable gun pros and seasoned firearms experts use to describe sub-compact pistols like the Solo.

I think it's possible to get a bad CM9 or PM9 but most of the people that I have heard from like them. I think the PM9 is a better pistol than the Solo period, IMO the CM9 is a better pistol too, not to mention that it's cheaper... so IMO it's a better value.

AustinTX
September 20, 2011, 09:16 PM
Should I sell it or plan on keeping it? I can sell and not loose money, but I do like the gun if it will be 100%. But, if it's not, I don't want to go through the shipping back and forth again(on their dime, btw). What would you do?

If I were interested in owning the Solo, I think I would still sell the replacement in new condition and wait until such time as the gun drew a much higher proportion of positive reviews from owners, if that ever happens, before I would consider purchasing it again. The Solo has been ridiculously problematic, and you run a pretty good risk of going through this again if you decide to keep it.

Don Glock
September 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
Should I sell it or plan on keeping it?

sell unfired NIB. consider it a lesson learned about kimber products.

HKFan9
September 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
This is why I don't buy new guns when they first come out, hope your troubles work out my friend.

As soon as you transfer it into your name... I doubt u will find anyone willing to pay full retail value... if you want your money back.. tell Kimber that's what you want.

My personal dealings with Kimber (for customers) have been very good, weird to see you had such a hard time.

Charlie_98
September 20, 2011, 09:28 PM
I would give the new gun a whirl... you have nothing to loose. Buying a firearm is like buying a car... it could be the best thing ever, or it could be a lemon, you just never know until you take it for a test drive.

If you like the pistol and would be pleased with it if it ran 100%, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

My daily carry is a Kimber 1911, bought in 2004... it's a fantastic pistol and I have never had a problem with it; I trust my life to it. I'm very sad to hear some of the stories with Kimber firearms and, often, their CS.

CWKahrFan
September 20, 2011, 09:50 PM
"... "Micromatic" is the term that knowledgeable gun pros and seasoned firearms experts use to describe sub-compact pistols like the Solo..."

You're quick, C0unt... like quicksilver... forefront of the industry... lol...

Tom Servo
September 20, 2011, 09:52 PM
This is why I don't buy new guns when they first come out, hope your troubles work out my friend.
True enough. I'm not dropping money to be a beta-tester for a tool of such vital importance. Especially when that product comes from a company with some documented quality-control issues.

I had a similar situation with Kahr when they were first getting a toehold. The slide cracked on my specimen during break-in, and the customer service experience made me think twice. After seven months, they did replace the gun, and I sold the new one upon receipt.

Kahr seems to have gotten it together since then, but I'm still leery.

Red Dog
September 20, 2011, 10:14 PM
I say shoot it and if it doesn't work send it back for a full refund!!
Gotta give them a chance to prove the reputation is correct.

C0untZer0
September 20, 2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for range testing the Kimber Solo and reporting on it...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69995&d=1304613851

mete
September 21, 2011, 04:20 AM
Thanks to the bean counters , this is how companies run today - let the customer do the final development work [finding the bugs !]

Therefore - NEVER buy a new product - wait 6 months to a year .Let someone else be the beta tester !!!

Shane Tuttle
September 21, 2011, 05:51 AM
If you're an honest person. Not saying you are or aren't since I don't know you:

If you fire that gun and it turns out to be problematic, you've done yourself in. You'll either be dealing with Kimber's CS AGAIN, or trying to sell a used gun that has problems. You won't be getting squat for it then.

If you sell it absolutely NIB, then the onus is on the buyer. I hate to say it, but there are plenty of people that just flat out ignore problems Kimber has with their products and company in general and will stop at nothing to buy their "oooo, shiny" guns. You'll get most of your money back by selling it off to that demographic.

I just can't fathom there not being a suitable firearm that would fill the arguable gap this Solo does. Dump it and move on. I'm sure you're like most of us. There's more important things to do in the short hours of the week than wasting time on troubles like this...

zincwarrior
September 21, 2011, 06:23 AM
I would give the new gun a whirl... you have nothing to loose. Buying a firearm is like buying a car... it could be the best thing ever, or it could be a lemon, you just never know until you take it for a test drive.

If you like the pistol and would be pleased with it if it ran 100%, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

My daily carry is a Kimber 1911, bought in 2004... it's a fantastic pistol and I have never had a problem with it; I trust my life to it. I'm very sad to hear some of the stories with Kimber firearms and, often, their CS.

My daily carry is an early model Kimber Ultra Carry as well, also with no problems. Since its manufacture Kimber seems to have attempted to rapidly expand, and has not been able to maintain manufacturing standards. This is magnified with the usual issues seen in a new manufacture model. I follow Dad's advice and never buy a car, gun, or major machinery in the first year of its model manufacture.

I would eat the loss and sell it NIB. AS noted there are other micros out there. Ruger LC9, Walther (S&W), Kahr, Kel Tec, are just some that immediately come to mind. Alternatively I'd wait another 6 months or so and purchase the new Sig Sauer which should have worked through its bugs by then.

Charlie_98
September 21, 2011, 08:06 AM
I would eat the loss and sell it NIB. AS noted there are other micros out there. Ruger LC9, Walther (S&W), Kahr, Kel Tec, are just some that immediately come to mind. Alternatively I'd wait another 6 months or so and purchase the new Sig Sauer which should have worked through its bugs by then.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I've seen some bad comments on the brands listed above... in fact, my PPK/s is back at S&W as we speak, and I've seen some very savage things said about Kahr recently... right here on this forum, in fact.

As a Kimber owner I guess it's my just deserts... I used to talk about 'Glock Moonies'... those who just love the Glock and think it really is perfection (and that is with me acknowledging that it is a fine pistol, just not All That and a bag of chips, if you see what I mean.) Kimber, being it's own worst enemy, has spawned a legion of Kimber Kooks... those that think every Kimber is junk, you are just buying a name, they've sold their soul to the Manufacturing Devil or whatever (and that is with me acknowledging they may have some manufacturing and QC problems, although I have no direct experience with this.)

I love my Kimber. It runs like a top. I trust my life to it. ...but it is just a tool, and if I was in the market for another 1911 (etc...) I would look at Kimber and every other manufacturer to see what would work best for me. I wouldn't discount Colt... even though I had an early Series 80 that was an absolute piece of junk (although it held it's value when I off-loaded it!) S&W, AMT, Ruger, Browning... these are all pistols I have owned, all NIB, that had problems right out of the box, in some cases glaring faults. Every manufacturer is going to kick out a lemon or 3, it's just a fact of life. Work with it, work with the manufacturer if you encounter problems.

Bottom line is... If you like the Solo and you think it works for you, give it a try. And, because it sounds like it will be a CCW piece, if you don't think you could ultimately trust it (my AMT for example...) then you need to move on.

AustinTX
September 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
Ruger LC9, Walther (S&W), Kahr, Kel Tec, are just some that immediately come to mind. Alternatively I'd wait another 6 months or so and purchase the new Sig Sauer which should have worked through its bugs by then.

Even when Sig eventually works through the P290's bugs, it's still going to remain another unimpressive effort on Exeter's part (like the P250). People at Sigforum generally hate it.

IMTHDUKE, dump that Solo unfired and go with a PPS.

zincwarrior
September 21, 2011, 08:21 AM
I'm not commenting on the SIG, just that its in the same class. I'm a buy Amurica (Hurr!) kind of guy. Mostly just noting options.

Gun Tests went through the Kimber Solo and was not impressed due to two factors: 1) it had severe malfunctions (after break-in) in ammo other than +P in higher grains; 2) the tip of the magazine stuck out in such a way that it cut the tester's finger.

And yes many firearms have an initial difficulty and have to go back...once. Most of my pistols have had to go back at one time or anther with things breaking through lots of use, but would I still recommend them. However, I repeatedly had problems with a NEO which went back twice was not properly fixed. As a result, even though I love my 92, I'll never purchase another Beretta.

The OP had repeated problems with a Solo. At that point I'd psychologically not be able to trust a firearm that was procured for true self defense reasons.

Fargazer
September 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
I think I would also sell it NIB also; after this many replacements, I don't think I would invest any more of your time. I think Shane's approach is the right one, and his statement about "some people will buy anything by Kimber" is why I was willing to purchase the Solo in spite of a new design - I'm fairly confident that I can get my money out of it if I decide to sell.

My Solo is at Kimber for the first time; I'm hoping the issue is just the recoil spring - I've not seen any peening or other more severe issues than the occasional stovepipe (with the right ammo - other ammo stovepipes much more frequently). I've got around 450 rounds through it, so break in should NOT be an issue - particularly when the recoil spring's replacement cycle is every 1000 rounds.

As long as they send it back with replacement parts, I'll keep testing the gun and work with Kimber. If they send a new pistol back, I'll likely sell it along with holster and mags, write off any loss as education, and look closer at alternatives. With the help of a door prize I now have a PPS, and I will watch the Beretta Nano closely.

18DAI
September 21, 2011, 11:30 AM
Dump it. You will save money and aggravation.

I did the "Kimber dance" three times. Ship the rusting single shot POS to Yonkers on MY dime. Get it back in the same malfunctioning condition. Speak to Dennis the jerk and repeat. NEVER again. Screw Kimber. Regards 18DAI

dreamweaver
September 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
hi duke, hows the weather at treasure isle? hoping to do talledega again in the spring.
anyway, about the solo.
i would give it another chance. probably because i'm wanting one, but also because of the write up in american rifleman this month.
be well
tom

DPris
September 21, 2011, 11:53 AM
Do whichever you want with it, but as an FYI point of interest unless your STATE dictates otherwise, Kimber most certainly can ship a replacement with a different serial number directly to you without FFL involvement.

Dunno why they told you otherwise.
Denis

DBLAction454
September 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
This is why I don't buy Kimber. EVER

I'd sell it bud. Let Kimber be someone elses headache

Best of luck!

AustinTX
September 21, 2011, 12:01 PM
but also because of the write up in american rifleman this month.

Also known as the magazine that awards garbage Taurus pistols the "Handgun of the Year" title.

I don't think I'd be assigning much weight to anything they say.

AustinTX
September 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
Kimber most certainly can ship a replacement with a different serial number directly to you without FFL involvement.

I've been told by Kahr and different FFLs that it can't legally be done (Kahr replaced my P380's frame twice, each time giving it a different serial number).

WVsig
September 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
I've been told by Kahr and different FFLs that it can't legally be done (Kahr replaced my P380's frame twice, each time giving it a different serial number).

They are wrong. I have had replacement guns shipped directly to me. Steyr refused to do it but Colt did. Those who will not do it are choosing not to they are wrong on the law unless there is a state law requiring it. I am willing to bet it is a matter of policy not law.

To the OP sell the gun NIB DO NOT FIRE IT. There is a MIMber fan out there who will buy it even with all the reports of Solo failures. Honestly I cannot remember seeing anyone reporting "hey I go my new Solo and its perfect right out the box.... " It is a horrible effort IMHO rushed to market without proper testing.

zincwarrior
September 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
but also because of the write up in american rifleman this month.

Also known as the magazine that awards garbage Taurus pistols the "Handgun of the Year" title.

I don't think I'd be assigning much weight to anything they say. They do have pretty pictures though. ;)

Carry_24/7
September 21, 2011, 01:30 PM
Since I already had a PPS when the Solo came out, I could not find a reason to buy one. In weight, and size, they are a few ounces apart only, and around the same price.

chack
September 21, 2011, 01:54 PM
Kimber's problems aren't due to MIM, they're due to poor quality control, lousy customer service, and a design that's too close to the edge.

You wouldn't have those problems with a $400 RIA, and they use MIM parts too.

DBLAction454
September 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
I love my Kimber. It runs like a top.

Don't tops fall over and require you to keep reseting and spinning them :confused:

sounds like the OP's kimber ran like a top too

not to be an A**hole but, that was an awful analogy.... but it did make me laugh after a long day in class :D

WVsig
September 21, 2011, 02:43 PM
Kimber's problems aren't due to MIM, they're due to poor quality control, lousy customer service, and a design that's too close to the edge.

You wouldn't have those problems with a $400 RIA, and they use MIM parts too.

I have problems with 13+ MIM parts on $1000 gun. Sorry but MIM is there to reduce costs. I have less issue with MIM in budget guns because the savings from the MIM parts at least is passesd on to consumer.

MIMber simply profits from this cost reduction because too many consumers don't know any better.

There is good MIM and bad MIM. MIM is not a problem in and of itself it is the philosophy behind MIMbers use. It is there to because of their barely good enough to run mentality while still charging premium prices.

And yes you are correct that mentality also greatly effects there QC.

RsqVet
September 21, 2011, 03:13 PM
Sell it.

Remember the kimber external extractor on 1911's? Yeah. How many events before a company changes their stripes or the market votes them off the island.

Kimber is the only modern maker I have seen multiple gun dealers refuse to buy / trade on used. Money flushed down the toilet I guess.

Btw my understanding is a maker such as kimber can ship a replacement gun of the same serial number direct... Only a maker can replace a frame in thus way. If it's a new serial has to go through a ffl. Hope kimber covers the transfer fee otherwise it's one last f/u to the customer.

Heck I would want my money back on the ammo wasted as well

Skadoosh
September 21, 2011, 04:04 PM
Personally, I would see if Kimber sent you a "good" one.

Fishbed77
September 21, 2011, 06:33 PM
Chunk it an get a quality piece like a Walther PPS.

Charlie_98
September 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
Don't tops fall over and require you to keep reseting and spinning them

sounds like the OP's kimber ran like a top too

not to be an A**hole but, that was an awful analogy.... but it did make me laugh after a long day in class

Don't be an idiot...

OK, rephrase... my Kimber has not had any problems or faults.

It sounds like the OP's Kimber has some problems and he is working with Kimber to fix them.

Too late... you are. It's an analogy... what analogy would you use to describe my Kimber that has not had any problems or faults?

"Runs like a top" until the magazine runs dry and I 'reset it' with another loaded magazine. Give me a break...

DPris
September 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
I've also had a replacement gun delivered to my doorstep, and I've talked to others who have.
Those who say it's not legal are wrong.
Denis

AustinTX
September 22, 2011, 12:28 AM
I'm not saying anything one way or the other. I'm just saying what I've been told about my P380 after both frame replacements.

It probably involves a little extra paperwork or something, and Kahr likely just decided in my case that they didn't want to bother. Wouldn't surprise me.

phatspeed7x
September 22, 2011, 12:41 AM
After reading the article, and these threads online I will never own one. And I don't think I'll ever own a Kimber product in general. My friend who really got me into shooting handguns hates Kimber with a passion. She has seen more problems, issues, breakages, etc... Her ex was a gun smith and navy special forces.

Like I said in my other response to the Kimber Solo...

I would rather carry my Hi Point. At least I know it will run reliable...

DBLAction454
September 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
Don't be an idiot...

OK, rephrase... my Kimber has not had any problems or faults.

It sounds like the OP's Kimber has some problems and he is working with Kimber to fix them.

Too late... you are. It's an analogy... what analogy would you use to describe my Kimber that has not had any problems or faults?

"Runs like a top" until the magazine runs dry and I 'reset it' with another loaded magazine. Give me a break...

My analogy -> "It runs like a clock"

and don't get your panties in a bunch for a small joke

Brian Pfleuger
September 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
I've also had a replacement gun delivered to my doorstep, and I've talked to others who have.
Those who say it's not legal are wrong.
Denis

It's only legal if it has the same serial number.

Shadi Khalil
September 22, 2011, 09:06 AM
It's only legal if it has the same serial number.

Thats the way I understand it as well. When I sent a Sig back for a new slide release, it was sent straight back to my door. However, recently when I sent my S&W back to be reframed (new serial #) I had to transfer it through an FFL and fill out all the forms.

To the OP, sell the new Solo and get something with a decent track record. Like most of their guns, it's pretty in pictures and on paper but the actual product is the exact polar opposite.

johnbt
September 22, 2011, 09:12 AM
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=27:3.0.1.2.3&idno=27#27:3.0.1.2.3.9.1.6

"§ 478.147 Return of firearm.
A person not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State or local law may ship a firearm to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer for any lawful purpose, and, notwithstanding any other provision of this part, the licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer may return in interstate or foreign commerce to that person the firearm or a replacement firearm of the same kind and type. See §478.124(a) for requirements of a Form 4473 prior to return."

Okay, here's 478.124...

"§ 478.124 Firearms transaction record.
(a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received."

shortwave
September 22, 2011, 09:41 AM
Apples to oranges.

Big difference in sending a gun in for repairs and having the same gun, with same serial number versus a new/replacement gun with different serial number sent to your doorstep.

When I sent my Para to Tenn. for warranty repairs, it was sent back to me. Repairs did not entail changing or altering Serial number by Para.

If they would have had to replace the gun or alter the serial numbers stamped on frame or slide, the gun would have had to be sent back to a licensed dealer.

AustinTX
September 22, 2011, 11:43 AM
If they would have had to replace the gun or alter the serial numbers stamped on frame or slide, the gun would have had to be sent back to a licensed dealer.

That's what I've been told. For my first two P380 warranty services, Kahr sent it back directly to me, since the repair work didn't involve changing the serial number. On the third and fourth trips, the frame and serial number were changed each time, so I was considered to be receiving a new gun each time.

DPris
September 22, 2011, 11:53 AM
Guys,
It does not require the same serial number on the replacement.
Mine was totally different, came back to my house from the company I returned it to for repair, the same company it originally came from, and when I questioned it later I was told ATF permits it.

The Feds consider the paperwork done by the company/maker/importer to be sufficient record. No local FFL involvement is required at the federal level, and it is not illegal.

Local statutes may prohibit, and individual companies may have their own internal policies, but again- it is not illegal at the federal level.

Denis

Clifford L. Hughes
September 22, 2011, 12:31 PM
IMTHDUKE:

Any gun manufacture experiences shipping a lemon once in a while. When I was selling guns I opened a new gun box, just in form the distributer, and assembled a Browning trap gun. When I shouldered it I found that the rib bowed to the right. Browning replace the BT99 within a week. Regarding your question should I sell the Kimber Solo? You have a replaced pistol and Kimber is a reliable manufacture; why not keep the Solo for several months and shoot it as ofter a possible. If the new gun malfuctions send it back one more time and then sell it when it's returned. Kimber doesn't want defective guns floating around.

Semper Fi.
Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

gyvel
September 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
Apples to oranges.

Big difference in sending a gun in for repairs and having the same gun, with same serial number versus a new/replacement gun with different serial number sent to your doorstep.

When I sent my Para to Tenn. for warranty repairs, it was sent back to me. Repairs did not entail changing or altering Serial number by Para.

Bull. Nowhere in the regulation does it state that the same serial number has to be on the firearm. It clearly states that: "... may return in interstate or foreign commerce to that person the firearm or a replacement firearm of the same kind and type...." and nothing about a serial number.

I have returned firearms to manufacturers for exchange and have had them return a different replacement firearm of the same kind directly to my door.

Kimber (and anyone else who refuses to ship directly back to a consumer) are just being patsies for the BATF and covering their butts.

pilpens
September 22, 2011, 02:16 PM
Maybe it is a lemon. In anycase, I would sell the NIB Solo and get a Kahr K9 or something else.
As to Kimber CS, my experience was good but it was several years ago (5 years). Sent a pistol back because the rear sight was tilted. Got my pistol back 2 weeks after they received it with new read sight.

sigxder
September 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
I and some friens have some hard experience in this matter. Years ago I bought a Stainless Kimber Ultra Carry. It would not work and keep working. After several trips back to Kimber and allot of arguing with them they replaced the gun. The second was no better. My gun shop told them unless they made it right they would stop selling Kimbers. Finally sent me a 4" all steel gun. Denis the head of the custom shop promised me the third gun would work. It did for 3 mags. I traded it for an HK .45 USPc and never looked back.
The dealer asked me why I even shot it since he could of gave me more credit for it with it unfired and new. Don't fall into the trap. Get the replacement gun abd have it sent to a dealer who will give you full value towards another gun. Good luck.

whippoorwill
September 22, 2011, 05:50 PM
Charlie 98 (1st Post)

+1

Thanks for a relatively unbiased post.

Folks who have never owned a particular brand, but say they'll never buy one based on a friend's experience crack me up. If my friends did that, they'd never buy Ruger, Colt or S&W... simply because I had problems with a few of those I owned. I would never be so silly as to tell my friends not to buy those brands, as I know that they make many good firearms... as does Kimber.

As to the OP's question... if you really were captivated by the Solo, give it another try. It may well function just as you had hoped. Can any of us guarantee that it will? No. Can any of us guarantee that it won't? No We're simply sharing with you our opinions. Worse case scenario... it doesn't function, so you send it back to Kimber. I can't imagine that there's a member here who hasn't lost money at times on their hobby. It happens. Oh, and by the way, if you're an average shooter, those MIM parts should long outlive you. JMO

dgludwig
September 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
My advice is to sell it before firing it and to order a used (police trade-in, I presume) Smith & Wesson Model 6906 in "good to very good" condition from CDNN for $329.99 and use the money you saved for a few boxes of ammunition and a good holster to go with it.

Marlin009
October 7, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'm really sorry to read this is how your experience went. I had intentions
of getting one but was waiting to see how your situation played out after your original report.

Very disappointing to hear.

Since it's not listed in your signature, I assume you did not keep it.

I think that would have been my decision as well. That's what I did with my P238.

IMTHDUKE
October 7, 2011, 10:51 AM
Marlin009...I was disappointed as well, I wanted so much to get that gun to function, but would not. I sold the new one they sent me and made a few bucks. I paid $725 when they first hit the market.

I did get my P238 to function very well. I am on the list to get a Boberg, we will see how that goes....the reports are good so far.

C0untZer0
October 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
OMG ! We should just certify you as TFL's official field tester.

Laserlips
November 12, 2011, 11:51 AM
IMTHDUKE:

I just stumbled on this thread, and even tho it's "old" since it reminded me of a similar situation I had a few years ago I'll give you my 2c worth.

I bought a new, first run, Walther PPS. I have long been a fan of Walthers and in the past have owned a PP,P1,P99c/P99.. All were fantastic pistols, and when the new PPS came out I just had to have one.

My new PPS had feed, ejection problems from day one.. It was never reliable, and I sent it back to Smith & Wesson CS/Warranty repair. (they were the importers/warranty folks).

A few weeks later the PPS came back with absolutely none of the problems fixed. I actually talked to the repair person and he said "I could not duplicate the problems you listed, so I sent it back"..

The repair sheet that came back with the pistol indicated "repaired"... :rolleyes:

I sent the PPS BACK to S&W and after a few days I called and spoke with a senior CS person. I told him to either FIX the PPS right, or refund my money, or send me a NEW PPS. I did NOT want to get this POS-PPS back still not repaired.

I also told the gentleman that I was going to tell the whole internet world how poor S&W CS was..

Surprisingly, he offered to send me a new PPS. I was happy to accept and when I got it I never shot it. I advertised it for sale, sold it,and never looked back.

I have a pretty good little stash of guns, and when I buy a new gun that works perfectly right out of the box (like my Ruger LCP's/LC9/Seecamps) I am a happy camper, and I don't mind sharing that with the world, but when I get a new gun that is NOT 100% right out of the box, I never trust it, and I sell it, trade it, or give it away.

Selling the NIB PPS was the right move for me, and I think selling the new Solo was a good decision for you. :)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. I'm also on the pre-order list for a Boberg XR9S. ;)

IMTHDUKE
November 12, 2011, 12:07 PM
Exactly what I did....just change the name to Solo.

C0untZer0
November 12, 2011, 10:43 PM
^ Did you get a Boberg yet?

IMTHDUKE
November 12, 2011, 11:11 PM
I have decided to let someone else be the testers for newly released firearms.;)

Master Blaster 2
November 13, 2011, 07:08 PM
A Boberg sold for $2000.00 at Gun Brokers

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=255359344