PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS At The Range

Captain Nice
September 20, 2011, 03:27 PM
I Just got back from the range where I fired my Walther PPS 9 mm for the first time. Only put 100 rounds of Magtech 115 gr. JSP’s through it without a single issue. Accuracy is excellent, it hits dead center at point of aim at 10 yards. So far so good on reliability but I’ll wait till I have a couple hundred more rounds through it before I make a judgment on that point. I have a medium size hand and the grip and seven and eight round mags. feel good. I don’t think I’ll ever use a six round mag. with my pinky hanging in the breeze alla Hickok45. I’m using the small grip insert as it feels better than the large. I don’t care much for the trigger guard mounted mag. release, it just feels clumsy, I kept going for the button behind the trigger guard. It slips into the pocket of my cargo pants and disappears. I believe it will make a great CCW piece once it is broken in. The one main reason I choose the Walther over the comparable and popular Ruger, KelTech and Kahr models was the Glock striker type firing mechanism, I can shoot more accurately with that type of trigger. I’m happy with the choice so far.

CN

Carry_24/7
September 20, 2011, 04:56 PM
Congrats on the success with the PPS. My wife bought me mine as a gift a while back. Its my primary IWB gun. It's an essential part of my CC plan.

kristop64089
September 20, 2011, 06:43 PM
Glad you liked it!

One thing I have found is, it's very rare for the owner of a PPS to be dissatisfied with it (especially the 9mm). I had OWNED a .40 PPS, and just wasn't happy with it. I was not proficient with it at all. Reluctantly I sold it, with the hopes of finding a PPS9. It took 8 mos, but one showed up locally and I was AMAZED at how accurate and easy to shoot it was.

Yesterday I had a chance to compare it side by side, with a Ruger LC9, and the Ruger is smaller in length, and about the same in all other ways. Problem with the Ruger is the horrible trigger, and the redundant safeties.

While I like hammer fired guns, I prefer the option of SA. The PPS offers everything. Portability, Concealbility, ACCURATE, excellent sights, controlability and did I mention ACCURATE.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Walther PPS is the gun to beat. When talking about all the smaller 9mms I have yet to see a quality mfg, that even comes close.

AustinTX
September 20, 2011, 09:43 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Walther PPS is the gun to beat, with all the smaller 9mms. I have yet to see a quality mfg, that even comes close.

I'm with you.

kinoons
September 20, 2011, 11:18 PM
I'm a proud .40 cal PPS owner and I love it. I actualy love the magazine release, but it does take a little getting used to. My PPS was the first purchase I made for a ccw handgun, and I haven't looked for another again.

zombieslayer
September 21, 2011, 06:19 AM
Yeah they are the cream if the crop. I have one in either caliber and they both shoot and csrry extremely well. Glad you like yours.

Hairbag
September 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
If you liked your accuracy with the 115gr try running some 147gr through it next time. I mistakenly purchased 147gr GS for my PPS and took it range yesterday and all can say is wow! I was much more accurate with the 147gr than 124 or 115gr. Now, as for self-defense ammo thats another thread.

Coltman 77
September 21, 2011, 04:24 PM
I've been very pleased with my 9mm PPS for the last three years. Very accurate and uber reliable.

Walther did their homework and came up with a winner.

FWIW, the PPS seems to be one of the most respected handguns on the interwebz. ;)

Fishbed77
September 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
I don’t care much for the trigger guard mounted mag. release, it just feels clumsy, I kept going for the button behind the trigger guard.

When you get used to it, you'll realize the Walther trigger-guard mag release lever really is superior to the old thumb button in most ways! There's almost no way to accidentally release the mag when carrying, it's ambidextrous, and it allows any size hand to easily reach the lever, either with thumb or index finger. Walther as a company has never been afraid to buck tradition in order to deliver a better product (yeah - I know HK uses a similar release, but the long lever on Walthers just work SO much better).

I love how on my P99, I can just flick my index finger to drop a mag, rather than having to shift the grip in my hand the way I have to with most guns (I have longish fingers). It's also much more akin to the way you release mags on something like an AR.

zombieslayer
September 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
I share Fishbeds feelings on the mag release. I think its great. And for everyday carry theres realky no way to ever accidentally drop a magazine.
Btw... Maybe its because I shoot them frequently, but mibe are both incredibly accurate little guns. I prefer the .40 version. But both are excellent.

AustinTX
September 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
I agree with both of you on the mag release. Love it.

kristop64089
September 23, 2011, 06:41 AM
The mag release was the BIGGEST factor in my selling of the 1st PPS.

After owning most everygun possible, one thing was quickly becoming CLEAR. The PPS was just too good of a CCW gun. I practiced with my P22, until my finger would hit the mag release, and then went and found another PPS.

Walther has me spoiled with this gun. So much so I'm thinking of adding a PPQ to the arsenal.

zombieslayer
September 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah the Walthers have me spoiled as well. I LOVE my P99as in .40.

Coltman 77
September 23, 2011, 03:52 PM
AustinTX:

I agree with both of you on the mag release. Love it.

I found it very easy to get used to. Just takes some practice.

hickok45
September 24, 2011, 08:19 AM
You all are about to talk me out of selling the one I bought to review. :-) I really like the gun, too. I go back and forth about whether to keep it or trade it for something else that people are asking about to see.

Even though I'm a fan of the little gun, the only advantage it offers me over a G26 is the slimness. That's pretty cool how it's so much slimmer, but it weighs almost exactly the same as a G26/G27, so it really does come down to that specific feature for me.

With the great IWB holsters out there now that render even a 1911 almost unnoticeable, I don't think the thinness feature is enough for it to displace my lovable old Glocks, though. It's definitely a sweet gun.

Also, in 9mm, I don't see anything it does for me that the PM9 or G26 won't cover. Depending on the season of the year, the PM9 and the G27 cover my CCW needs pretty well.

You can probably tell that I've been trying to talk myself into keeping it, but I can't keep everything. I try to go back to the question Jeff Cooper was famous for asking when somebody would show him a new gun: "What's it for?"

Well, it might just be a fun gun we like and want to shoot, but when it comes down to function and what a gun will replace or do a better job at, I try to ask myself those questions. Is it a pocket gun? Is it better than my current pocket gun? Is it a belt gun? Does it offer anything my current favorite belt gun does not offer once I move up to a holster gun? Are it's advantages worth switching? Anyway, it's Saturday morning, and I obviously have too much time to ramble.

I'm definitely not knocking the Walther PPS. Guess I thought I'd comment since I agree that it's a really quality gun that comes really, really close to finding a permanent place in my "arsenal." For me, with all the shooting I do and guns I go through, that says something. There are lots of guns I try out and like pretty well, but I know from the get-go that they are not going to seriously compete with my favorites. This one definitely enters the arena.

Hickok45

Mowog
September 25, 2011, 08:30 AM
I bought mine for carry as a compact slimmed down version of the Glock that I shoot most often. I choose the PPS over the G26 because it was just a bit thinner.
I like the six round magazine, feels a bit more concealable ( no sharp mag extension poking out ) but I may need a holster that holds it a little tighter to me than the Bladetech. A second seven or eight round magazine can be carried easily enough.
The difference between the PPS and Glock magazine release takes some getting used to. It works well, but using my index finger instead of thumb felt like a big change.
My 9mm PPS has been great to shoot at the range. Trigger feels a bit grittier than an out of the box Glock. Feeds well. Feels great in hand. I don't think I've read anything bad about them. Definitely a solid purchase.

ScotchMan
September 25, 2011, 08:45 AM
You found the Walther trigger grittier than the Glock? That's unusual.

AustinTX
September 25, 2011, 09:14 PM
You found the Walther trigger grittier than the Glock? That's unusual.

They can start out that way, but once they've been fired/dry fired a few hundred times, the PPS trigger puts the Glock trigger to shame.

Mowog
September 27, 2011, 05:32 AM
I've not put many rounds through my PPS. I'm definitely still in the break-in period, so the trigger may well get better after a few hundred runs. I'm not discouraged by it, just an observation with respect to a comparable pistol.

cavediver27
September 27, 2011, 09:45 AM
I own many pistols but my PPS 9mm is by far my favorite! Thin, light, accurate, reliable, well made...........'nuff said :D

Glockfan36
September 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
I like the PPS 9, may try to find one! What's the minimum break-in you guys recommend? I only shot half 50 rounds worth of WWB after I bought my Glock. Given that I already have a carry gun that I love, I can afford to spend a little time breaking it in. Also, is it picky with ammo? As long as a PPS will accept Winchester, I prefer to keep using it for range/practice ammo.

Fishbed77
September 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
I like the PPS 9, may try to find one! What's the minimum break-in you guys recommend?

I can't speak for the PPS, but my P99, also a high-quality Walther (in Ulm, Germany) -manufactured gun like the PPS, (unlike the lower-quality Umarex-manufactured guns like the PK380 and P22, which are marketed as Walthers) required no-break period for reliability. It has been 100% from the get-go. I assume the PPS should be of the same quality.

One thing I can tell you it that the triggers on both the P99 and PPS start out a little tight and gritty (due to very high manufacturing tolerances at the Ulm factory) but smooth out very nicely over time. The P99AS has the best trigger in a striker-fired gun, period. The PPS is more Glock-like, but still smoother and superior to a Glock.

temmi
September 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
I shot one 3 weeks ago, in 40.

I am a true believer now.

I plan to get one soon

Coltman 77
September 27, 2011, 04:14 PM
I like the PPS 9, may try to find one! What's the minimum break-in you guys recommend? I only shot half 50 rounds worth of WWB after I bought my Glock. Given that I already have a carry gun that I love, I can afford to spend a little time breaking it in. Also, is it picky with ammo? As long as a PPS will accept Winchester, I prefer to keep using it for range/practice ammo.

Mine needed no break in period at all. Of course I cleaned and lubed it before its first range trip.

Before I decide a pistol is ready for carry I like to put at least 500 rds. of assorted quality range ammo through it with no malfunctions, followed by 150 rds. of jhp carry ammo with zero malfunctions.

Of course, everyone has their own criteria. YMMV.

gearchecker
September 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
I bought my wife a PPS 9 for Valentines Day a year ago. She still won't let me shoot it, because it's "HER PISTOL" She is dead on accurate with it. I keep thinking about sneeking out in my range bag some day, but I keep remembering it's her pistol. Some day she'll let me shoot it. When, I don't know, but I'm sure I'll like it as much as she does. She now owns 3 pistols, but the PPS is still her favorite so far.
She really likes the trigger guard mag release. She uses her weak hand thumb to release it like a "tactical reload" drop sequence.