PDA

View Full Version : .380 CCW

Grapevinebill
September 20, 2011, 01:25 PM
Any suggestions? I have looked at a few and held them in my hands but haven't shot any yet. My CHL is only a few weeks off and I am looking for something for IWB carry. The Ruger and Taurus seemed that they would jump out of my hand and was looking for some first hand feed back..

Furminator
September 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
Bersa Thunder .380
Sig P232
Walther PPK
Beretta 84F Cheetah
Browning BDA

All of these guns are larger, more accurate, more reliable, and softer shooting than any of the pocket pistols

graysmoke
September 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
All pending your budget.

Bersa Thunder .380
Bersa Thunder CC (Conceal Carry) .380 ...My opinion a great smaller pistol (8 shots). A lot for the money.
Beretta .380 ...More costly and heavier, and it's a Beretta.

Carry_24/7
September 20, 2011, 01:57 PM
LCP all the way......

aarondhgraham
September 20, 2011, 02:17 PM
I can attest to the quality/reliability of the Bersa Thunder 380.

It's a PPK sized gun,,,
It has an external hammer,,,
It is Double action - Single action,,,
It has a safety/decocker mechanism,,,
It holds 7 rounds in the magazine and 1 chambered.

And, if you want a companion gun,,,
There is the identical sized and featured Thunder .22

Here are mine,,,
http://www.aarondgraham.com/lwat/handguns/29-lynn_vanessa.JPG
Click here please (http://www.bersa.com/skin/frontend/blank/theme063/images/media/BersaCatalog.pdf),,,
Look at pages 3, 4, & 5.

Aarond

Sulaco
September 20, 2011, 02:40 PM
The Bersa is a great gun, but I am not partial to the recoil. It seems overly stout for this size gun. I carry an LCP and like it a lot for a .380. I pocket carry and it's great. There's lots of choices, research and narrow it down to one or two then come back and ask us about them. That's what I did.

Mrgunsngear
September 20, 2011, 02:50 PM
Of my 380s, my favorite is the S&W Bodyguard 380. Good trigger (all pocket 380s have long trigger pulls, so don't expect much...), workable sights, and a laser included. A lot of people knock the laser, and although it's not great, it works and you don't have to use it if you don't want to because the sights are decent.

BigBrute
September 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
I would say Bersa or PPL. The Walther p380 feels nice, but takedown requires a key. I've used a Browning BDA/ Beretta Cheetah (pretty much the same gun as far as I can tell) and don't like it at all. I'm a big guy and the short, fat grips on that just don't work for me.

Grapevinebill
September 20, 2011, 02:52 PM
Actually I think it was the LCP that felt like it would jump out of my hands. How is the recoil on that? I always shoot a gun before I buy so that is a definite. I already own 2 Beretta's and as much as I love my 92FS I am sure I would love their .380 but I thought I wanted to branch out and not add another Beretta to the collection. I could be persuaded though..

PSP
September 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
All guns mentioned so far are fine and acceptable. There are a few not mentioned yet. The excellent quality Sphinx AT380 is a very compact firearm with an excellent trigger and carried 11+1 rounds. The CZ83 is OK, has a good trigger but is the heaviest I've owned. For a tiny carry, look at the Kahr 380. Here are most of my .380 bunch. A Bersa is not shown. If I were to carry the Bersa, I'd skip the Thunder and go for the Plus because it holds 15+1 rounds. The Sig P232 is a particular favorite because of it's quality. The Beretta 84/85 is the best, most reliable, highest all around quality.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Group%20shots/My380s.jpg

Grapevinebill
September 20, 2011, 03:04 PM
Nice collection PSP

CWKahrFan
September 20, 2011, 03:07 PM
"...Actually I think it was the LCP that felt like it would jump out of my hands. How is the recoil on that?..."

It IS snappy! I found out quickly that I really need to grip it super-tight... Tighter than than I grip any of my other handguns. But... We can't have everthing... I gladly trade-off shooting comfort in the service of carry comfort.

The LCP is SO tiny and light, it's certainly not a good range-gun. But it's highly desireable for its carry comfort. Bottom line for me... I'm not a LEO... The likelihood that I'll EVER actually fire my gun in an SD event is very slim. So, shooting-comfort is not a high priority for an EDC gun with me. I'll do fine shooting it in a dire situation if I ever need to... and if it's a bit uncomfortable to shoot in those fleeting seconds... SO WHAT?... I won't even notice.

(Note: I really like the 10-rd. ProMag for the LCP... The added weight and extra grip length it provides is great for the range. I also carry it that way IWB ... always... but I know that isn't for everyone.)

TLeo
September 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
I would agree on the Beretta 84 or 85 and the Sig P232 as great choices.

CMDrew6115
September 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
Another vote for the Bersa. I've got one, my brother has one and both my parents have one. Incredibly reliable and inexpensive.

Mrgunsngear
September 20, 2011, 03:37 PM
I agree the LCPs recoil is "snappy" to use a previously mentioned term. The BG 380 is certainly better.

sirgilligan
September 20, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have owned the Walther PPK/S and the Sig P238 HD. I still have the Walther. Shoots great, doesn't print in pocket.

Weight is not an issue for me. Thickness is the constraint that concerned me the most. The PPK/S is very narrow, and shoots very well.

I also like the fact that the PPK is DA/SA, has a safety and a decocker.

Any suggested would be a good start.

aarondhgraham
September 20, 2011, 03:51 PM
The Bersa is a great gun, but I am not partial to the recoil. It seems overly stout for this size gun. I carry an LCP and like it a lot for a .380. I pocket carry and it's great.

My experience was/is just the opposite,,,
The Recoil on the Bersa was not bad at all,,,
The recoil on the Ruger LCP was very "snappy".

The Beretta 84/85 is the best, most reliable, highest alaround quality.

I agree, they are the Cadillacs of 380 pistols.
It looks huge but in reality it's only 1/8" longer than my Bersa.

Pricey though! :eek:

Aarond

wnycollector
September 20, 2011, 06:09 PM
Another vote for the Beretta 84. If you want to carry a .380 IWB it really is a great way to go. You get 14 rounds of .380 in a package that is only slightly larger and heavier than my steel framed S&W M36 .38.

My Beretta 84B carries like a compact handgun, but it shoots like a full sized service pistol. It is accurate, reliable and possibly one of the prettiest pistols ever produced:D New 84 Cheetah's is very expensive, but if you search, you can find very nice used specimen's for reasonable prices. I picked up my ex-LEO 84 for $295. It spent the last 29 years protecting and serving the citizens of Israel with the Mishteret Y’Israel, the Israeli civilian police, in the Jerusalem District.

Aguila Blanca
September 20, 2011, 06:14 PM
Colt Pony

Colt Mustang

Both were offered in lightweight versions; I prefer all steel.

jimbob86
September 20, 2011, 06:15 PM
"Jump outa my hands" ?

If recoil of a gun is a problem for you, get a heavier gun, a lighter caliber, and or strengthen your hands.

dsk
September 21, 2011, 01:08 AM
So, shooting-comfort is not a high priority for an EDC gun with me. I'll do fine shooting it in a dire situation if I ever need to... and if it's a bit uncomfortable to shoot in those fleeting seconds... SO WHAT?... I won't even notice.

If it's uncomfortable to shoot, then how is your rapid-fire accuracy going to be during "those fleeting seconds"? Regardless of what EDC you have, you must be able to put five rounds into a grapefruit-sized circle at 7 yards in 3 seconds if you expect to be able to out-shoot the bad guy. I have a feeling that a lot of folks carrying these mini-blasters can't do it. That's why I carry a .32ACP when I must have a mouse gun, because at least with that I can easily shoot fast and well.

C0untZer0
September 21, 2011, 01:15 AM
I liked the Colt Mustang a lot.

I could shoot it all day...

AustinTX
September 21, 2011, 01:48 AM
Awesome .380 collection, PSP! I'm envious.

All of these guns are larger, more accurate, more reliable, and softer shooting than any of the pocket pistols

You're right about everything but "softer-shooting." Most people are going to find a full-size blowback .380 to have harsher, snappier felt recoil than even a much smaller locked-breech .380. I've put 200 rounds through my Kahr P380 in a single range outing (same with a rental LCP). I would not at all be interested in doing the same out of a Walther PPK, a Sig P232, or even my Beretta 84.

Any suggestions? I have looked at a few and held them in my hands but haven't shot any yet.

Grapevinebill, I will echo the comments of several other folks and say that the Beretta 84/85 pistols are the finest .380s made. Here's my 84BB:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/austintxlonghorn/Beretta%2084BB/DSCN9186-1.jpg

CWKahrFan
September 21, 2011, 01:49 AM
"... you must be able to put five rounds into a grapefruit-sized circle at 7 yards in 3 seconds if you expect to be able to out-shoot the bad guy... "

I hear what you're saying... and, yes, I can perform the above... I guess my main point was that in an adrenaline-rush dire situation, one's awareness doesn't focus at all on discomfort or even pain... Those become non-important factors.

And I hear what you're saying about a lot of folks not being able to put the five rounds but... for the majority of them... size/weight of gun probably won't cause the critical difference anyhow (as long as the size and weight are not extreme in either direction).

With all these esoteric gun details, everything's a trade-off...

Sounds like you and I, at least, have put a lot of thought and research and experimentation into the carry questions and are finding answers that work for us. So that's a good thing... Something to do. We could probably spend half a lifetime conjecturing about what those fleeting three seconds might be like.

CWKahrFan
September 21, 2011, 01:51 AM
Yo Austin, that 84BB is a beaut!!!

MikeNice81
September 21, 2011, 01:52 AM
If IWB is an option the Walther PK 380 is worth a look. I had a chance to fire one mag through one. I liked it much more than any of the TCP/LCP/P-3AT sized guns. It has a little more weight, a bigger grip area, and a locked breech design. All of those aspects add up to a much easier to use gun.

I would also recomend any of the Bersa Thunder .380 family or the CZ-82/83 family.

AustinTX
September 21, 2011, 01:56 AM
I appreciate that, CW! :)

Pianoguy
September 21, 2011, 07:43 AM
I have a Walther PK380 which I plan on using as a CCW. It is bigger than the pocket variety 380s but it is still relativley thin, light and wears easy in a IWB. I like the larger grip and 8+1 capacity. It also shoots very well with little recoil. The bit about the take down key to me is overdone. Just put it on your key chain. My biggest gripe would be the lack of extra magazines but I solved than by buying a second PK380 - 2 mags plus a second take down key! Kind of excessive maybe - but for me it's a great gun.

If all you want is a CCW maybe you could also try a small revolver. My S&W 642 fits the bill very well.

blume357
September 21, 2011, 08:14 AM
for what you asked about I would go with Ruger... but then I would actually go with one of the newer Ruger 9mms...

my personal preference in .380 for carry is a Sig 230 or 232 but this is not a 'pocket' gun.... just more of a compact 9mm that is actually chambered in .380.

EAJ702
September 21, 2011, 09:24 AM
Bersa 380CC

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/bersa_01.jpg

CZ 83

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/cz83n_07.jpg

Sig P238

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/sig238_02.jpg

dajowi
September 21, 2011, 11:02 AM
I've had and shot both blow back and locked breech .380 semi-autos. Locked breech is the way to go. I recently shot a Sig P238, "SCMP" (Simulated Colt Mustang Pistol):D and found it to be a pleasure to shoot. No problem shooting a couple of hundred out of it in a range session. It may not have the Colt's lines, but of the three photos shown the P238 stands out.

Wrothgar
September 22, 2011, 12:41 AM
Has no one noticed that back in June colt announced it is re-releasing the Mustang? (http://www.coltsmfg.com/About/NewsEvents/tabid/71/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/23/Colt-Announces-the-380-Mustang.aspx) I looked around and didn't see any posts about it.