PDA

View Full Version : Which Glock to get First?

Proud Poppa
September 19, 2011, 06:15 PM
I have recently decided upon purchasing a Glock for CCW. Initially I thought I wanted the midsized G19/23. After holding one today in comparison with the fullsized G17/G22, I can't help but like the feel of the larger gun first. I've also considered the subcompact G26/G27's.

I would like to one day own one of each size :D but unfortunately I cannot shell out that kind of money just yet. So my question is, which Glock would you purchase first? Its main intent is for CCW, however I am not suppose to have a gun even in my car, while at my job. I also will be using it for some casual range time.

A) Would you start with the larger frames and work your way down? This would allow me to become familar with the trigger and how the gun handles before moving to a smaller, harder to shoot gun?

B) Would you start with the small frame and work your way up? This would allow me to easier conceal the smaller gun and as I get comfortable with CCW I can gradually work my way up in size.

9mm
September 19, 2011, 06:18 PM
Glock 26 for first, you can put 17/19 magazines in it + the 33 rounders :D

Though the 19 easy to CCW as well. Your choice!

Timbow
September 19, 2011, 06:22 PM
Alot of it depends on how much experience you have with handguns in general. If this is your first centerfire handgun or you have limited experience with handgun shooting then I'd definitely get the full size to learn the basic fundamentals on as it will be the most forgiving. If you're already an intermediate to accomplished pistol shooter then you may consider going to a compact or sub compact to aide in concealment. Same goes with caliber. If you're more towards the novice end, I'd stick with 9mm to start. If you're more experienced and can manage the recoil then you may be better served by going with a .40, .45, .357 Sig, etc.

comn-cents
September 19, 2011, 06:27 PM
Go for the mid size 19, it works great for CCW & as a range gun.

AK103K
September 19, 2011, 06:28 PM
I have 17's, 19's, and 26's. I prefer the 17's the most, followed by the 26's.

Just never figured out what the 19's real purpose is. Its basically as big as the 17, yet a good bit bigger than the 26.

Mrgunsngear
September 19, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have them all and the 17 is my favorite as well. That said, I generally carry the 26 though. IF I had to pick just one, and I don't :D, I'd go with the 19; it's just a great all around gun.

rose728751
September 19, 2011, 06:34 PM
I had the same question in the begining. I frist went with the G23 Gen4 had some issues with it, worked the issues out, liked it. Than got the G27 Gen3 LOVED IT!!! no issues at all. Great for CCW. Train / Practice with what you plan on CCW with. I say go with the G27 Gen3!!!!:)

DBLAction454
September 19, 2011, 07:04 PM
For me I chose a fullsized USP .45 to carry and it can be a task sometimes but now im confortable with it...

What I'm more comfortable with is my shot placement. I can shoot my fullsize very accurately while just point shooting (not looking down the sights). To me having the confidence in my shots is more valuable than having a smaller weapon. Plus fullsizes hold more rounds ;)

Now... that being said when I get a little more money I will gladly buy something more compact and begin to work with it. When I feel that confidence with the compact that I feel with the fullsize then I will gladly switch to carrying a more easy to conceal weapon.

Because youre going to have it as home defense and as a range gun as well I would go with a full-size G17/G22 then look into compacts as time goes on...

What gun you carry doesn't matter if you can't hit anything with it...

Goodluck!

Shadi Khalil
September 19, 2011, 07:33 PM
It's a toss up between the 19 & 26.

Noreaster
September 19, 2011, 07:38 PM
Loaded question. I like to shoot the full size at the range and I prefer to carry the subcompact off duty. I believe the 19/23 is the best of both worlds. Good luck with your purchase.

Proud Poppa
September 19, 2011, 07:58 PM
The only thing that I am uncertain about in the G19/23 is the grip. I have very wide plams and the hump on the backstrap of the G19/23 sits a little awkward in my hand.

I have had the luxury of being able to try a few shots from a few kind members at the local range. I have been able to shoot a G22 Gen4 and a G23 Gen3. I must say of the two, I prefer the G22. However, its hard to differentiate if the recoil is more manageable and not as hard due to it being a larger framed gun and I can get a better grip on it or if it was because it was the Gen 4 with the dual recoil springs. Any takers here?

Mercenary
September 19, 2011, 08:11 PM
Its a tough decision to make. If you are planning on CCW it then I would lean more towards the G26. It will have less recoil than the 40 in that small package and 9mm will allow you to practice more. With a more concealable gun, you'll be more inclined to carry it rather than leaving it at home because its too bulky. You can always purchase the mags for the larger guns to use it at the range.

Good luck! I too have been bitten by the Glock bug :cool:

shootniron
September 19, 2011, 08:18 PM
I think that I would try the new 1911 and then move on to the more common models.:D

BradS
September 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
I like the G26 and G19 and am obviously partial to the 9mm. I have heard a lot of people comment that they shoot the baby Glock better than the larger framed Glocks.
That being said, I would go with the G26 first and add a mag extension. Just my 2 cents.

Doublea A
September 19, 2011, 09:28 PM
I have shot the 19 and 26 on numerous occasions but I own two 19's a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 and Love them. I'm actually thinking about buying another Gen 4 19:eek::eek: I have put about 3600 rounds through the Gen 3 and only 315 rounds through the Gen 4 and so far they have been flawless. But it is your choice. Anyways once you purchase one the others start haunting you. :D:D:D

mrvco
September 19, 2011, 09:30 PM
If I had to pick one Glock in 9mm, my vote would be for the 19.

ElrodCod
September 20, 2011, 08:03 AM
If you're planning to carry it you won't be disappointed with a G26. It's a remarkably easy shooting gun.

TailGator
September 20, 2011, 11:36 AM
Another vote for the G26 from a guy who carries one every day. It is surprisingly easy to shoot it well. I like the 19 fine, but it doesn't conceal quite as well for me. The hump of the 17 feels awkward to me. Since concealed carry is to be your primary use, I would advise going for the model specifically designed for concealed carry.

NJgunowner
September 20, 2011, 11:39 AM
If you just HAVE to buy an ugly glock, at least get the most kickass glock you can ... Glock 20. We need more people buying 10mm :D

Gats Italian
September 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
The only thing that I am uncertain about in the G19/23 is the grip. I have very wide plams and the hump on the backstrap of the G19/23 sits a little awkward in my hand

I have to ask, why are you so persistent about trying to justify buying an awkward feeling gun?

You've expressed an interest in CCW. The Glock that works best for you is the full size, which doesn't conceal as well as the "awkward" G19/23.

It occurs to me, and it should to you too, that you'll probably be better off looking at different makes of compact pistols which fit you rather than forcing the Glock compacts upon yourself.

Sulaco
September 20, 2011, 02:48 PM
you'll probably be better off looking at different makes of compact pistols which fit you rather than forcing the Glock compacts upon yourself.

I agree with this. The market is saturated with quality handguns, one of which will fit you better than this.

CrazyHorse89
September 20, 2011, 03:24 PM
g19

Top_Notch
September 20, 2011, 04:23 PM
The 19 has the best overall balance of the three.

The 26 is nearly as large when adding G19 mags but doesn't balance as nicely. Sure you can do the +2 but then you are limiting capacity and enlarging it's size. The G17 always seemed to me too large a platform for the 9mm. I vote G19, great overall gun and as stated can go to the range or easily ccw.

Proud Poppa
September 20, 2011, 04:46 PM
@ Gats Italian
&
@ Sulaco

What do you recommend? XDM? M&P?

Gats Italian
September 20, 2011, 04:55 PM
I only recommend trying on more types in general. Walther, H&K, S&W, SA, Beretta, CZ, SIG, and Ruger all make competent compact sized pistols.

TheNocturnus
September 20, 2011, 06:19 PM
Get the Glock 18c if you can, those are cool.

Realistically get one in your favorite caliber. Me personally, I chose the Gen 3 Glock 22 but I had a G23 before it.

Proud Poppa
September 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
Anyone know how the Walther P99 stacks up against the Glocks?

batmann
September 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
I use/have a Glock 22 and first lookled for a 23, but after holding side by side, I decided on the full size. Like you, it fit my hand better.

graysmoke
September 20, 2011, 09:08 PM
Man-Up and get the Glock 23...40S&W...And master the feel of it.

Don Glock
September 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
gen3 19 or gen4 23.

HKFan9
September 20, 2011, 09:26 PM
The 19 would be the best to get, you can use it at the range... and CCW it easily. I had a G17... and to me the extra size isn't really worth the extra 2 rounds... specially when you can just put the 17rnd mag in the 19.

The g26 is just too small fat and uncomfortable to me, one of the worst Ergo's for a handgun I have ever seen IMHO.

AK103K
September 21, 2011, 07:32 AM
The 26's are one of those guns that tends to grow on you. When I got my first, I was skeptical, but after getting to know it, it soon changed my mind. Now Im rarely without one.

Once you learn to curl that pinky under the mag, the ergos get much better and its comfortable and easy to shoot with. It does feel strange at first, but that strangeness quickly goes away. Initially hearing a number of complaints about the pinky, and all the raves about the Pierce extensions, I gave a couple a try. That ended up being a mistake. Initially, it seemed you got a better grip, but the gun also grew in size, and the extensions pinched my hand both while shooting and reloading, making them more of a distraction than a help. I also could never get the two extra rounds in the gun I was supposed to get.

I suppose hand size can have an impact on some in choosing either the 17 or 19. My hands arent really big, but I can tell right away which is which in my hand, without looking.

I always found the 19's grip to feel slightly cramped. They much improved them from the earlier generations though, by doing away with the cut out for getting the mag out, like the 17's have. Those guns really felt bad in your hand, and made them feel even more cramped.

As far as the size difference overall between the 17 and 19, some people must be overly sensitive if they can feel a difference when carrying them, as the difference in size is barely a 1/2" in either direction. Ive carried both, with and without a holster, and could never tell the difference.

While you can use a 17 mag in the 19's (I use 17 mags for all my reloads, regardless of model), whats the point of carrying one in the 19? You just lost any of the slight advantage in size, and might as well just carry a 17.

loose_holster_dan
September 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
I have personally found the g19 to be plenty big. It is also fairly simple to conceal.

MikeGunz
September 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
I have the 22 and the 26, The 26 is perfect for a ccw the 22 prints to much and when I sit down the grip is to long and will hit against the seat of my car and be uncomfortable.

booker_t
September 21, 2011, 12:23 PM
If it's for carry, you need to prioritize what is important to you. Is it weight, concealability, accuracy, something else? Rank these parameters first to help your thought process and guide your decision making.

Remember that if you're in a self-defense action, you're likely shooting inside of seven yards, more likely inside four yards, and very possibly at contact distance without a sight picture.

At those short distances, accuracy (I feel) takes a quick backseat to ability to draw and fire quickly according to your natural index and point of aim.

And the gun does you no good if you don't carry it.. so you should (I feel) avoid giving yourself any reasons to not carry it (too big, sweaty, heavy, uncomfortable in the car on long trips, etc).

My recommendation is to go small, no bigger than a G23. Then invest in a quality holster, some professional training and ammo.

C0untZer0
September 21, 2011, 12:25 PM
I don't see where a 19 fits in - it's not that much smaller than a 17 but it's still too big for CCW. I think the 26 is a pretty fat pistol and I don't mean Pretty Hot And Tempting - I mean fat as in Pretty Hefty And Thick for concealed carry.

But the 19 is somewhere between a 26 and a 17 serving a purpose that I'm not sure of... maybe when some people sit down in their car the 17 pokes the uplostery and their ribs so they get a 19... I don't know.

My own opinion is that if I was goin to get a Glock for a nightstand gun I'd get the 17L if I could, if not I'd get the G34.

And for OC - if I was already resigned to a Glock I think the G34 is OK, it's about the size of a Beretta 92.

And for CCW I wouldn't use a Glock at all, I'd look at a Kahr CM9 or Rohrbaugh R9.

HKFan9
September 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
I had a 17... it is just too big for the only advantage of having +2 more rounds for my hands.

The 19/23 feel much better in my hand... and the 2 extra rounds lost compared to the 17 are not really a big deal to me.

I have shot the 26.. and know to curl my pinky under it. To me it still feels terrible. The Kahr PM-9 felt a little better... but I still sold mine.

I have concealed the 17 I had... but to me the 19 is the ideal one.

I got away from carrying micro and pocket guns.. I carry a gun I know I can perform with the best. Right now its been either my HKP7, 4'' 1911, or my Sig P239 before I sold it. The G19 TO ME doesn't seem too big to carry.

If you gonna want the G17 I would just look to the SA XDM, pretty much the same size... but holds 20 rounds, has a much better trigger IMHO.

Personally however if I was looking for a full size 9mm it would be a Hi-power, or a CZ75, or another 1911.

AK103K
September 21, 2011, 01:00 PM
it's not that much smaller than a 17 but it's still too big for CCW.
It must all be a matter of perception, and "want". :)

Ive carried full size handguns my whole life, and never noticed it was hard to do. Im not big, and I dont dress out of the norm either.

These days, I carry a 17 daily, and a double reload as well. More often than not, I usually have a 26 along too. When I hear people complain that even the medium to smaller guns are hard to conceal, I have to wonder whats up with that? If I can pull it off, I know anyone can, if they were to "want" to. "Cant" is really just a weak excuse.

You dont have to make excuses and short yourself into using back up guns as your "only" gun, and really, why would you want to? First and foremost, you should carry what you shoot the best, and that should be what you carry. Its not hard to figure out how to do it, but you do have to "want" to do it.

HKFan9
September 21, 2011, 01:14 PM
First and foremost, you should carry what you shoot the best, and that should be what you carry. Its not hard to figure out how to do it, but you do have to "want" to do it.

Couldn't agree more.

However a 17.. two reloads and a g26 seems like a lot of hardware to be lugging around. :eek:

Nothing against you doing it, but I wouldn't want to be carrying around that much. The most I carry is my SA Champion Operator.. I keep a Chip Mc 8 rounder in it.. and I keep one Chip Mc Power 10 mag as a spare.

I started CCW with a steel frame model 60 .38+p my father gave me... so I am comfortable with limited capacity I guess.. but I see why one would carry extra mags, and a back up... but for me I choose not to.

AK103K
September 21, 2011, 02:24 PM
However a 17.. two reloads and a g26 seems like a lot of hardware to be lugging around.
Its really not, especially compared to a 1911 and its accessories.

As I said, a lot of it may be perception too and lack of desire too.

Prior to the Glock, I carried a Colt Commander and a double reload most of my life. Compared to the 17 and its double reload, give or take a few ounces here or there, the bulk and weight are really about equal. The firepower isnt though. The Airweight or P230 I usually carried with the Commander are pretty much comparable to the 26 size wise, although it is a little bigger, but not much, and to a better end with a higher capacity. The 26 being just a downsized Glock that uses the same mags as the 17, does make it a little more versatile and user friendly. Compatibility and keeping things simple is a good thing. :)

We all have different circumstances and needs, and Im not saying you need to carry something you dont want to, just that contrary to popular internet beliefs/misconceptions, you can easily carry the bigger guns without issue, if youre of a mind to.

amd6547
September 21, 2011, 02:57 PM
I have a G17, a G26, and a G30...the 17 is mostly a range/HD weapon, the G30 is a cool weather carry, main HD weapon, and the G26...all around CCW gun.
One thing I have found...The G26 is an absolute blast at the range. I really enjoy shooting it. And, for carry, the ability to fit different mags to the situation is great...flat based 10 round mag for smallest size, G15 or G17 mag for a reload...I just got a Glock 12rd mag for it which gets a lot of carry.
Having 29rds in two magazines is a good thing for a carry gun.

peacefulgary
September 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
My favorite Glock...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM7192.jpg

Motor City Gunner
September 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
I own a gen4 Glock 22 and my buddy owns a gen2 Glock 23. The overall size of both guns would cause you to feel recoil differently; however I belive the dual recoil spring in the gen4 makes a big difference. The snappy recoil of the .40 round isn't as snappy to me in the gen4. It feels more like the "push" you would get from a .45. Hope this helps.:D

TF88
September 22, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'm 5'8" 165lbs and have no problem concealing my Glock 27 in a homemade kydex IWB holster. IN South Florida, I tend to only hear shorts and T-shirts or loose golf shirts. I have the Pierce +1 pinky extension, which I need for secure grip. I would like to get the Glock 23 too...may still be small enough to carry. If you're average size (6' 185)+ then get the 19 or 23 size.

joegator
September 22, 2011, 10:05 PM
I've got the 19 and highly recommend it. The size is just about perfect. It is small enough to carry comfortably and big enough to double as a range/service pistol. Of course if i were to buy 2 Glocks, I'd go for a 22 and a 26.

NVBigEd
September 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
The G19.

Glock is "best known" for their 9mm pistols. They make everything well, but they make excellent 9mms. The G19 is, in my opinion, just about the perfect pistol... 15 rounds of modern 9mm (similar to .357 magnum ballistics) is certainly adequate firepower. The G19 is large enough to comfortably grip, yet small enough to properly conceal. It's light, strong, accurate, reliable and controllable...

The G19...

moose_nukelz
September 23, 2011, 12:32 AM
I would not hesitate to pick up a 3rd generation 19. The grip angle on the 26/27 just didn't work for me when compared to the 19/23. I have a 23 but am going broke shooting .40

Shadow9
September 23, 2011, 02:05 AM
Anyone know how the Walther P99 stacks up against the Glocks?

Like a VW stacks against a Honda. With horrendous customer service. I called for a recoil guide rod for a P99 AS 6 weeks ago. 14 calls (half hour each time), 3 e-mails, and NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER later, I've since sold the P99 and still haven't seen the spring/rod, nor been able to cancel it and get my money back.

Also, have fun with parts costs, Walthers are in HK range for parts costs, and horribly unavailable. It too has a polymer grip, which your slide runs on (plastic against metal), and the plastic sear assembly in the back (takes care of your trigger functions) takes the beating from the metal slide when the recoil spring gets weak.

The P99 is more accurate in testing, Walther DOES do a GREAT range gun, and the trigger on that pistol IS AMAZING. Reset is approx 0.1" resetting from SA mode, DA is of-course a long throw. But, for a CCW weapon, don't bother, IMO. They're also VERY tall, have high-bore axis, and tend to be flippy..and I could conceal a G19 FAR easier than the P99.

If you want a GREAT CCW 9mm, look into the Kahrs. It's been my latest interest, or the Sig P239. Kahr's on average sport a sub-1" width(which, IMO, is what causes most "printing" issues with other guns.) Their barrels are all Lothar Walther (VERY high-end Custom-barrel maker from Germany), Polygonal rifled (accurate and high-barrel life), and I have yet to see someone complain about their triggers (albiet they have a longer throw than many are used to). Plus they're striker-fired, Stainless steel (or reinforced polymer) construction, and made here in the USA.

For Glocks - Start with the G19, IMO. The 17 is a full-size, and if you're intending on concealing, do NOT get something that has risks of printing - fast way of attracting A LOT of trouble. The subcompact glocks are also neat, but they are going to be more prone to recoil, something a new shooter shouldn't be getting into.

Last, if you're VERY new to CCW, skip the semiauto route and get a nice small .357/.38Special revolver. They're often recommended because they fire EVERY time, revolvers don't have Fail to Extract/Fail to Feed (so good luck "jamming" it), and anyone hit with a .357 or .38 WILL feel it. Plus, they hide easily. Lastly? can be had for Cheap.

Oh, if you're literally "in melee" with someone, a revolver can be pressed into the assailant's body and fired - doing that with a Glock has a VERY high risk of knocking the gun out of battery, or worse, blowing the slide off the top back at you.

Good Luck!

amprecon
September 23, 2011, 07:17 AM
Since you asked which should be your first Glock, from my experience I would say the Glock 19.

My reason for recommending the Glock 19 as your first is that for me, I could've bought that one first and not needed to buy anything else.

I found it to be the best compromise of all the attributes one wants in a defensive handgun.

1. It is large enough to be accurate with.
2. It is small enough to CCW.
3. It is in a caliber that is effective.
4. It has a large magazine capacity.
5. It is simple to operate.
6. It is utterly reliable.
7. It fit me well.
8. It pointed naturally for me.

I started my Glock life with a Glock 21, I shoot this model the best of all handguns I have ever tried.

I went with a Glock 17 later, I sucked with it. I even sent it back to the factory to find out what was wrong with it, they returned it with a nicely printed target.

Then I went with a Glock 36, didn't fit well, magazine pinch and slappy kick.

Then came the Glock 19. I bought two of them at the same time, serial numbers were the same except the last digit skipped one between the two.

Then I got talked into trying out a Glock 23 and it wasn't bad. The recoil was a little more and I was fairly accurate with it, so I surmised that more power, same size = a good thing.

But after extended range sessions, I found myself getting fatigued quicker, then my accuracy diminished rapidly due to the stout snappy/slappy recoil. During this time I was wanting to consolidate my caliber footprint, so I sold off the Glock 23 and kept the Glock 21, which is the only auto I own at this time.

Were I to buy another semi-auto pistol tomorrow, I would go pick up a Glock 19 without thinking about it.

group17
September 23, 2011, 08:51 AM
"Anyone know how the Walther P99 stacks up against the Glocks?"
Both are great weapons. Parts are more expensive for the Walther but I have not had to buy any for either of my Walthers .You also might want to look at the single stack PPS. A lot thinner than both the P99 or Glock.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8085/dsc03235o.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/88/dsc03229iv.jpg

Lawmaker
September 23, 2011, 10:54 PM
Get the G19. Have had mine for about 10 years. Bought a G26 last year and still carry the G19.

TRDFurgesson
September 24, 2011, 01:47 AM
I'm gonna vote 23 or 19 in Gen4. The babies aren't harder to shoot, they all shoot great!! I did alot of range shooting with rentals to decide which one I liked the best. So my first Glock became the the 23 Gen4. Added Trijicon HD night sights, pierce PG19 mag extensions and the extended slide lock. My second Glock will be 29 gen4 when they become available. She's my CCW EDC and IDPA piece. As for the gen4 naysayers this one is 2 months old with 800 rounds through it and not a single malf. PMC and blazer FMJ 165 and 180gr.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/iRacing_Robert_Cottell_Jr/30558852.jpg