PDA

View Full Version : Took my daughter shooting

Coyote WT
September 19, 2011, 06:05 PM
I haven't posted in while but I wanted to crow a little. I took my 18 year old daughter to the pistol range for the first time. She just moved back in with me after 6 years of living with my first wife. We started with a Sig Saur 1911 22, moved to my Ruger P95 9mm and finished with .38 S&W M&P model 10 (I think) revolver. I need to work on the trigger discipline a bit (Tabi, take your finger off the trigger until you're on target. Tabi, where is your finger not supposed to be? Tabi...)

Anyway, we both enjoyed the experience and are looking forward to doing more of it soon and often.

Mrgunsngear
September 19, 2011, 06:43 PM
I worked in basic training for years and taught hundreds of females how to shoot and the one difference between them and males is how they respond to 'corrections'... You're doing it the right way. Constantly reminding her that what she is doing is wrong (finger on trigger) is the way to go.

When you yell at females they just shut down. Males however thrive on it. They work harder to prove you wrong. i.e. "Male---you suck at life!!!" Said male thinks "I'll prove him wrong!" A female would just think, "This sucks, I'm not going to even try anymore..."

It's worked on hundreds of privates and my current girlfriend. She went from never holding a handgun to consistent 5'' groups with a G19 at 7 meters in about 150 rounds. I'm sure if you keep it up your daughter will be competing in 3 gun in no time! :D

DBLAction454
September 19, 2011, 06:54 PM
good to see you're getting her into the sport!

Getting my girlfriend to the range is a task by itself for me but at least she has no problems with me carrying (she actually likes it :D ) and no problems with me owning firearms...

I like to think thats half the battle right there...

Oh and the guy above me is 100% right when it comes to positive reinforcement when it comes to teaching girls...

Goodluck brother!

tekarra
September 19, 2011, 08:17 PM
Well done Coyote. You are establishing a bond and I hope she continues her interest.

jayhan
September 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
good for you tried to take my wife she has no interest at all

Dr_2_B
September 20, 2011, 06:47 PM
Forgive the therapist in me, but praising her when she does it right will augment that really well.

Congrats on finding a new shooting buddy and introducing a new bond with your youngun.