PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Sig-Pro?

Pond, James Pond
September 19, 2011, 09:34 AM
With my actual permit to buy getting closer by the day I have been trying to compile a list of possible guns that would suit the palm and the wallet in equal measure. My first visit to the range for shortlisting purposes took place this morning!

Basically, I have put Glocks back on the list as they are so ubiquitous and therefore any glytches, spares, upgrades would be so easy to get hold of that I should not discount them! I still do not find them overly comfortable, but nor are they uncomfortable.

So, the only guns I was able to shoot today were about 20 rounds through a Glock 17, another 20 through a second hand Sig-Pro 2340 9mm (aka the Sig-Pro 2009: only shot 500 rounds or so). Second-hand it is the same as the new Gen 4 Glock over here and this only has one clip!!

At about 12 yards I got pretty OK groups, I'd like to think, shooting 10 shots in under a minute. The group was tighter and faster with the Sig: SIGnificantly so :p...

I also put 3 rounds through a little Ruger LCR that they let me use when I asked what shooting .38 +P felt like. Nice bunch of guys at that range!

I think I have a pretty clear idea of what Glocks are like, by virtue of how many threads discuss them on here.

As for that particular Sig, the Sig-Pro 2009? Any skeletons in the closet for that number?

dabigguns357
September 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
I had a sig pro 2340 (similar to the sig-2009)and loved it,i'm actually thinking of buying another one later.Now if you just want to go looking then i set you up with a site that sells everything.Find something you need and run with it

www.summitgunbroker.com

RPGamingGirl
September 20, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have the Sig Sauer SP 2022 (a variant of the 2340) and am VERY happy with it.

My only complaints are that it only came with one magazine, as you mentioned, and extras are pretty expensive ($36 is what i'm seeing online). It's also little picky about ammo. Not expensive-picky: i'm shooting the standard 115 grain 9mm Federals from Wal-Mart without an issue, but so far that's ALL i can get it to cycle through properly*. It's not liking anything lighter or reloaded (nothing dangerous; i just have to manually clear the brass from the chamber between shots).

The good points far outweigh the bad though. I'm an average-sized lady (5'6" and 150ish lbs) with very little previous firearms experience, and this thing chambers and fires smooth for me. It's also really easy to take apart and clean, and has never jammed on me with factory loaded ammo.

*to be fair, it is a new gun; i probably haven't cleared the 500 round mark yet.

myshoulderissore
September 20, 2011, 10:25 AM
Man, I have read all your posts as I find them, and it's starting to rub off... I'm excited for you to get your pistol! I have a Glock 17, and I love it, although I am a huge fan of Sigs, so I have no good advice either way. Whichever you get, shoot it a lot, and keep us informed!

loose_holster_dan
September 20, 2011, 11:14 AM
good gun, but you get what you pay for (less since you are paying the sig tax). don't hope to get what you would out of a p226 or anything. this is the chevy cavalier of sigs.

BlackJackID
September 20, 2011, 11:24 AM
I have the SIG 2022 in .40 S&W, and in my opinion, its the best in its class, I like it more than my XDM,( simply for ergonomics, and I prefer an external hammer). It is incredibly reliable and very accurate, with a trigger that is as smooth or smoother than its more expensive brethren.

Mine came with a spare magazine however, and I have bought another since purchasing it. I think Quality is on Par with the more expensive SIGS, its just that it has a polymer frame which lowers the price point.

Playing devils advocate here, I dont think its really any BETTER than a glock functionally , you cant go wrong with either, so it boils down to, which one do you shoot better, feel more comfortable with, and find aesthetically pleasing.

Misssissippi Dave
September 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
It depends on the caliber you finally get. Here is one of the places I look at when I'm ready to get new magazines.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sigsauer.html

Marquezj16
September 20, 2011, 01:08 PM
SP2022 - My SIG is 100% reliable and very accurate. Not picky with ammo and it feels great in my hands. I have the triple serialed pistol (frame, barrel, and slide). I learned that it means it was made and assembled in Germany. An extra mag came with my purchase. Very happy with my SP2022. I trust it so much it's my nighstand pistol.

Pond, James Pond
September 20, 2011, 01:12 PM
Well, great feedback so far. Thanks!!

@ RPGamingGirl:
Sorry to hear about your FTE's. Perhaps it is just getting worn in... Either way, $36 for a clip sounds like a bargain: New clip over here? "That'll be €50, please sir!!"

@ myshoulderissore
Ha-Ha :p.
I'm glad you are enjoying my ramblings and fumblings as I meander my way into actual gun ownership. I must say, as I posted that initial message I was imagining a whole stack of member rolling their eyes at my fickleness!!
I am fickle, but only because I keep learning new things that mean re-evaluating my choices.

That, and the fact I want to buy everything and I can't...

I can well imagine that the Sig performs as well as the Glock, but the Glock did feel a bit rougher. Not rough, just rougher. The grip on that Sig is more confortable, no doubt, and the sights on the Sig were more intuitive for me. I was (using the scientific method that is my guesswork) about 30% more accurate and faster through a clip of 10 rounds with the Sig over the Glock. I respect the Glock, but it does not "stir my soul.

Still not going to discount it, though. There are too many practical aspects to the Glock.

I had also thought about the P250 Compact as, despite being another €100 over the Sig Pro, it does come with the extra mag. This would mean getting a new, modular pistol with up to date materials and design for effectively €50 more, if I count the mag I'd have to buy for the Pro...

myshoulderissore
September 20, 2011, 01:36 PM
That, and the fact I want to buy everything and I can't...

So, so, true...

Misssissippi Dave
September 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
The accuracy of the P250 is really good. People switching from double action revolver to semi-automatics will like the double action only trigger. Most people that only shoot single action will probably hate the trigger of the P250. It is rather easy to switch calibers and sizes with this pistol. I find the sub compact just too small for me to grip it easily. The compact and full size work much better for me. Now I need to get the other grip sizes to find the best combination. My favorite so far is the .45 compact. The only caliber I don't have is the .357 Sig. I understand that one shoot really great at 100 meters.

arrtvandelay
September 20, 2011, 07:29 PM
i've been the proud owner of an exeter made 9mm sp2022 for about 2 months, just over 300 rounds through it. i haven't had any issues w/ fed champion, pmc, wincherster nato, and ranger t +p rounds; it's eaten them all. the pistol is definitely more accurate than i am. the only thing i don't like is the rapid wear on the barrel after just 300 rds, but the thing was made to be shot so who cares how it looks.

the mags are pretty expensive, but i stocked up on some sp2009 mags from the link below:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=928610&catid=8681

the only difference b/t these and the mags that came w/ the gun is that they're blued in color as opposed to grey. they function perfectly and are about $10 cheaper delivered than the factory 2022 mags.

BigBrute
September 20, 2011, 08:39 PM
I LOVE my SP2022! Mine is the 40S&W version, is far more accurate then I am, and is a good size to conceal. So far I have only used the cheapo Russian made rounds, but had no misfires, no problems at all. You can use the SP2340 mags with it in 40S&W, or SP2009 mags for the 9mmwork version.

One thing to consider, though, is that the Sig Pros have been discontinued, at least for now. From what I've seen, it looks like Sig Sauer has discontinued and resumed production a couple of times in the past. So parts may be a little scarce. The up side is that the price has dropped considerably, from around $600 to about $400.

Honestly, between the two you mentioned you really can't lose. Both should serve you extremely well. Best of luck with whichever you go with!

Misssissippi Dave
September 21, 2011, 07:36 PM
The barrel tends to loose its coating with use. It happens with all pistols of this type of design. You can slow it down by applying a good gun grease to the outside of the barrel where the smiley marks are at. So long as the outside of the barrel feels smooth in that area you shouldn't have any problem. It takes a lot of rounds to even come close to wearing a dip in the metal. So far I haven't heard of someone that knows the number of rounds it takes to wear one of those barrels out. I imagine it would cost a small fortune to buy all the ammo needed to find out.

RC20
September 22, 2011, 10:47 AM
I have gotten back into shooting recently, and needed a gun that was both a good range gun and capable of home defense with a laser mounted (older eyes, wear glasses and cannot even see night sight without them).

Upshot after a long of anguish on guns that were in the $650 plus range, I came across the Sig SP2022 (9mm) as its known over here.

Awful lot of good comments and very few bad ones, none in town so I bought online as a blind purchase (hate to do that as I like to handle and feel guns and tools, but no choice and it had a solid reputation as well as being able to handle ans shoot a Sig P220).

Keeping in mind I do not like striker fired. I understand they are safe, but they simply do not feel right and I have a lot of background with a DA revolver, so the Sig suited me (also 1911 style which had the safety).

I could not be more delighted with the gun. Over here it can be had sub $400 with night sights (more typically night sights are $460 or so).

So fare its been flawless function with at least 3 different factory round in different mfgs, a wide range of hand loads. The single most important aspect in a semi auto, if it does not function virtually 100% its worthless.

Its accurate. At least as good as an HK P30 I have shot it side by side with.

Trigger is good for a poly gun, and not bad by any standards other than 1911 (The DA is heavy, but I am both used to that and as that's the safety I am fine with it - as I usually did that with the DA revolver, I cock it which works for me though not necessarily for everyone).

It handles well (though not as good a grip as the far more expensive P30 which has a beautifully grip, though its trigger is not as good).

Not sure what they cost over there, but over here it is equal in quality of guns twice the cost.