PDA

View Full Version : sent bodyguard380 to S&W

checkmyswag
September 18, 2011, 11:21 AM
Found the laser activation completely unacceptable.

Other than that I really like the weapon.

They sent me new buttons and I replaced them and they seemed about as lousy as the first.

I sent the gun into S&W...what should I expect them to do? If they send it back in the same condition (laser not really usable...I will ask for a refund or credit towards another S&W product or just use the gun, never planning to use the laser.) Something about it just doesn't sit right. I'd have bought the gun without the laser, but it's on there, it should work right.

How long should I expect them to take to send it back?

Don Glock
September 18, 2011, 11:35 AM
s&w is pretty quick. i've sent m&p's to them several times. maybe 2 weeks at the most.

yeah that bodyguard laser is basically a $10 eBay laser lol. even when you get it back, i wouldn't expect much. impressive little gun, it's the one i would buy if in the market for a pocket .380. accurate and reliable.

RamItOne
September 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
Lol BG laser isn't too functional. Good luck on the refund. Did you not handle the pistol first? Caveat Emptor

Plus who needs a laser at 7 yards. Pull it and squeeze it.

excelerater
September 18, 2011, 03:01 PM
I have the gun and CCW it daily,the lazer IMO is more for fun than function

checkmyswag
September 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
I did check it out before I got it. It either worked better at the store or I wasn't actuating it in a realistic self-defense use manner.

Either way, I like the gun overall. If it comes back in about the same way...may try this Q-tip trick I read about (ugh), wait until someone makes aftermarket buttons for it or just forget about the laser use.

Will call them this week. See what's up.

BillCA
September 18, 2011, 03:50 PM
IIRC the laser is made by Insight -- you should probably contact them about the efficacy of the buttons.

FWIW - Crimson Trace has patented the grip-activated laser switch which is why you don't see anyone else using it. Apparently negotiations to license that patent by Insight and others have fallen apart.

Don Glock
September 18, 2011, 03:53 PM
Plus who needs a laser at 7 yards. Pull it and squeeze it.

exactly.

that cheap laser on the BG is basically a marketing ploy more than a functional tool.

i'm not a fan of lasers on any pistol, as you'll not have time to look for the little red dot when your ass is on the line. not that you would need to at typical self defense distances of less than 10 feet.

checkmyswag
September 18, 2011, 03:54 PM
I at first contacted S&W, they sent me the new buttons...

I then contacted Insight, then S&W told me to send it in to them (S&W).

Perhaps if I'm not satisfied upon return I will see if/what Insight may do for me.

I didn't buy it for/because of the laser. If the LCP had an external safety...would have probably bought that. I do like the gun a lot...just want it, all of it... to work well.

Don Glock
September 18, 2011, 03:56 PM
like i said, s&w has great service, and they will take care of it-but don't expect sterling performance out of a cheap laser.

jolly roger
September 19, 2011, 09:47 PM
They ought to just sell the gun without that crappy laser IMHO. And lower the price accordingly.

TennJed
September 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
They ought to just sell the gun without that crappy laser IMHO. And lower the price accordingly.

Completely agree...the laser is what kept me FROM buying the bodyguard. If they had a model without it and adjusted the price accordingly I would most likey have one in my pocket right now