PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Dan Wesson Owners

golfnutrlv
September 18, 2011, 11:17 AM
Well,

Now that I have Dan Wesson owners here talking to me...

I am very interested in purchasing a Dan Wesson CCO Bobtail. Commander slide, officer frame. This would be my primary carry gun 24/7 365.

My LGS has quoted me $1350, which I think is a great price for this gun.

Are the Dan Wesson's worth the money, and are they as good as the ones I have had a chance to handle?

THe only alternative i'm interested in is a Sig Sauer 1911 RCS (same slide/frame style).

Before you ask, yes I am convinced that a switch to a 1911 for everyday carry is what I want. It's really the only gun I want to carry, having carried several different guns of widely varying styles, I keep wanting to carry a 1911.

Input greatly appreciated.

Don Glock
September 18, 2011, 11:31 AM
of those two, i'd get the DW.

Jason_G
September 18, 2011, 11:35 AM
I carry mine, and won't sell it even though I could probably get more than I paid for it, if that tells you anything. :cool:

Jason

Mrgunsngear
September 18, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'm a fan of Sig 1911s but it'd be hard pressed to pass up that price on a DW. I don't own any but I've shot a few and all that I have touched are superb firearms. Dan Wesson all the way.

michael t
September 18, 2011, 01:57 PM
Of those 2 I would get the DW. I bought my DW when they were a good price Today I think they are over priced I will always keep my bobtail but I will move to a Ed Brown next time.

I don't think you can bob the officer frame its to short and the bob tail uses the officer MSH any way.

Jason_G
September 18, 2011, 02:10 PM
I don't think you can bob the officer frame its to short and the bob tail uses the officer MSH any way.

It's bobbed as much as you can bob it, which is not much. If you look close, at a good picture you can see the DW CCO MSH is a little more rounded on the corner. That's what he's referring to.

Jason

Mello2u
September 18, 2011, 02:12 PM
golfnutrlv

My LGS has quoted me $1350, which I think is a great price for this gun.

Are the Dan Wesson's worth the money, and are they as good as the ones I have had a chance to handle?

I have a DW Commander Bobtail 10mm auto with tritium sights.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/farwalker/DWlft.jpg
It is my every day concealed carry. I believe it is one of the best values in a handgun that I have. I paid just under $1k for it last year. It is well put together, accurate and reliable.

I can't answer the second part of your question.

THORN74
September 18, 2011, 05:58 PM
golfnutrlv.... dan wesson 1911 are definately worth $1000-$1500 pricepoint. My heritage which i snagged for just under a grand is a really sweet gun. I can see a valor in my future.

if this is going to be a carry weapon, be aware the sig 1911s have an other than standard profile slide, which usually means it wont work in a std 1911 holster. so ur talking addition cost/time to get a special holster.

Tom Servo
September 18, 2011, 06:26 PM
There's a significant price difference between the Sig and Dan Wesson models. I have examples from both makers, and I find both to be exemplary.

Now, is a ~$400 difference justified? That's up to you.

I can tell you that every Dan Wesson I've encountered has been impeccable. Be aware that, with the light, short frame, either gun may be picky about ammunition and unforgiving of a loose grip.

(Can't let Mello be the only one with a snertly CBOB on display. Sarge's grips?)

http://lonelymachines.org/guns/danwesson/dan_wesson_esmeralda_800.jpg

Jason_G
September 18, 2011, 07:01 PM
Can't let Mello be the only one with a snertly CBOB on display.
Oh, are we doing that? :D

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/itsthewhitmans/jason/Carrycopy.jpg

Jason

Sarge43
September 18, 2011, 08:06 PM
I have 5 DW's in y collection, including the CCO and I can say that they are definitely worth the $$$. Since 2009, the entire DW line has seen great improvements across the board, from part quality to finish quality (the new Duty Treat which is a metal treament, not a coating). DW has always had great part fit, but even in this area, they have improved.
Are there cheaper pistols out there - yes certainly, just as there are more expensive pistols, but I feel the DW CCO is one of the best carry platforms available today. Ultimately, of course, the decision on cost is up to you, but you'd be hard pressed to find the same level of quality, reliability and value anywhere else.
I have two other CCO's in the boxes - a Wilson BWC, and a custom Fusion CCO. DW still wins.
Good luck in your decision!
Sarge
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/sarge43_pics/002-102.jpg

Timbow
September 18, 2011, 10:26 PM
I recently picked up a DW Valor (stainless version) and it is currently the best shooting semi-auto I've ever fired. It took a little breaking in/polishing before it was completely reliable but after that it's run like a fine tuned machine. The slide to frame fit is probably the best I've ever seen on any manufacturer.

golfnutrlv
September 18, 2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks all for the input.

I think I will be meeting Dan Wesson soon!!

Sarge, That is a sweet looking gun!!

Sarge43
September 19, 2011, 09:42 AM
Thank you. I have since swapped out the trigger for the STI long carbon (I have that on all of my carry pistols), and added an Ed Brown ambi safety. I have had ZERO trouble with my DW CCO, and it is in my top three or four out of all the 1911's that I own.
Good luck!
Sarge
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/sarge43_pics/PICT0005-31.jpg

Nakanokalronin
September 19, 2011, 01:31 PM
Not the same gun your looking at but I have a DW Valor that is honestly right below a full on custom piece if you ask me. Part material, fitment and attention to detail is as good as anything else I've seen at much higher prices.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg827/scaled.php?server=827&filename=dwvalor.jpg&res=medium

WVsig
September 19, 2011, 01:42 PM
Dan Wesson is a solid 1911. I love my old school CBOB even with its cast frame. I personally loved them more when they were sub $900 guns. For my money these days I tend to lean towards Les Baers when I get to the range of a new Valor.

Had I not just customized a Colt CCO I would get a Guardian in 9mm.

Nakanokalronin
September 19, 2011, 02:33 PM
The price increase was due to better part materials. There will actually be some MIM or cast parts in the old Valors but the new one's have nothing but tool steel or barstock except for the grip safety which is actually an Ed Brown that is not a hard use part. I'm pretty sure the other models got a healthy upgrade as well although not as extensive as the Valor.

DBLAction454
September 19, 2011, 02:39 PM
+1 for Dan Wesson my friend :rolleyes:

WVsig
September 19, 2011, 02:56 PM
The price increase was due to better part materials. There will actually be some MIM or cast parts in the old Valors but the new one's have nothing but tool steel or barstock except for the grip safety which is actually an Ed Brown that is not a hard use part. I'm pretty sure the other models got a healthy upgrade as well although not as extensive as the Valor.

I know all of that but IMHO the older DWs filled a niche that at thye sub $1000 price point and were better than almost anything on tha market at that price. The orginal CBOB was a $900 gun that was 90% of the way to a Ed Brown. 99% of shooter will not know the difference and 99% won't shoot it enough to cause failure. I have almost 10,000 round through my CBOB and have replaced nothing but springs.

Now at their $1500 to $1800 price point depending on the model Valor you are looking at I would opt for a Les Baer. YMMV

Jason_G
September 19, 2011, 05:32 PM
I know all of that but IMHO the older DWs filled a niche that at thye sub $1000 price point and were better than almost anything on tha market at that price.

I agree 100%. I think they are still worth the prices they ask, but they are no longer the steal they once were. I got my '08 CBOB for $860-ish IIRC, after FFL transfer fees and all. To have a 1911 with almost all Ed Brown parts and that much attention to fit and finish was unheard of at the time. When they moved up the price bracket, they left a definite void there in the 1911 market that is yet to be filled. I would still buy one with confidence, but it wouldn't be the no-brainer it once was for me.

Jason

KyJim
September 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
I have three carry 1911s. One is a Brown Bobtail Commander and two are CCO sized. One is an all-steel Baer Stinger and the other is a Sig C3 (alloy frame). The Sig is a good solid gun but I think enough of the Dan Wessons that I am going to upgrade, buy the CCO and use it for carry (and keep the Sig as a backup).

I have three other Dan Wessons -- a CBOB, a Guardian in 9mm, and a Valor. They are very good guns and worth the money. I do agree they are not quite the bargain they were pre-2010 but I'm willing to spend my money on the CCO.

golfnutrlv
September 19, 2011, 08:52 PM
The Sig is a good solid gun but I think enough of the Dan Wessons that I am going to upgrade, buy the CCO and use it for carry (and keep the Sig as a backup).

That speaks volumes to me right there...

zombieslayer
September 21, 2011, 06:27 AM
Im very impressed with my Vbob.

Rogervzv
September 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
I bought my Dan Wesson PM7-45 this past July. It is now my very favorite firearm. It was reliable from the first round, and 500 rounds later it has never failed to feed or failed to fire. I have shot it with Colt, GI, Dan Wesson, Chip McCormick, and Wilson magazines and all have functioned flawlessly with it.

Dan Wesson uses modern digitally-controlled machine tools that enables the guns to be manufactured to close tolerances. So no real "break in" as with guns the manufacturing process of which involves more hand-fitting. The result is that a Dan Wesson functions flawlessly from the get-go. Like all guns, I imagine it will get better with age.

Cannot say enough good things about my experience with Dan Wesson firearms.

Topthis
October 27, 2011, 10:32 AM
I bought a CBOB last year and have been so absolutely satisfied with it and love it so much that I have been selling/trading off all of my other pistols for Dan Wessons. I just purchased a Guardian in .45 and am on my way later today to buy a used PM7 in 10mm. The only other 1911 that I may consider is a Wilson Compact...but with everything that these Dan Wessons are, it is hard for me to pay that extra $1k or more for something that IMO isn't giving me anything more than what I've already got.

GUNSNGOLD
October 27, 2011, 10:44 AM
i had to jump in here with my pm7, i couldnt believe it when i went to the auction sites to see what they were going for, they've gone up $600 since i picked mine up for $800

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/hd0642/black%20guns/HPIM0200.jpg

WVsig
October 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
i had to jump in here with my pm7, i couldnt believe it when i went to the auction sites to see what they were going for, they've gone up $600 since i picked mine up for $800

Current guns from DW all have forged frames which is one of the reasons the price has jumped up so much.

mavracer
October 27, 2011, 11:18 AM
I agree 100%. I think they are still worth the prices they ask, but they are no longer the steal they once were. I got my '08 CBOB for $860-ish IIRC, after FFL transfer fees and all. To have a 1911 with almost all Ed Brown parts and that much attention to fit and finish was unheard of at the time. When they moved up the price bracket, they left a definite void there in the 1911 market that is yet to be filled. I would still buy one with confidence, but it wouldn't be the no-brainer it once was for me.
I agree with everything except IMHO STI has some guns that nicely fill the void in the under 1K 1911 dept.
If I wanted a CCO I'd be hard pressed to pass up the STI Guardian, But stepping up to a DW would definatly not be a mistake either.
Just to show I'm loyal to neither brand I bought these two the same day:D
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/mavracer/SANY0121.jpg

Genepix
October 28, 2011, 09:00 AM
I love my DW CBOB- perhaps not the bargain it was a few years ago, but it is a true classic and will last forever...Worth the price, in my opinion...