PDA

View Full Version : KEL-TEC PMR-30 Power ?

Catfishman
September 17, 2011, 11:22 PM
What is the best ammo for this the Kel-Tec PMR-30 and how much energy does it produce through this gun?

I'm trying to decide if this pistol could be a real self defense weapon or just a fun plinker. The massive muzzle flashes concern me.

SHNOMIDO
September 17, 2011, 11:49 PM
Hornady is making a Critical Defense in .22 mag. dont know if its worth anything, but its out there.

Sevens
September 18, 2011, 06:28 PM
Speer is also marketing a Gold Dot round for .22 Mag.

Being that it holds 30 rounds, it would be hard to argue that it couldn't be put in to a defensive role. As a carry gun -- no. As a home defense tool, especially for someone who is very weak and/or can't deal with any amount of recoil, I think it could be a formidable tool... as long as it gets WELL tested for feed and function.

The best ammo for the PMR-30 would be whatever you can ensure that it will reliably feed and function with... and THEN go from there.

ZeSpectre
September 18, 2011, 06:53 PM
My first thought...It's probably better than a sharp stick!

My second thought... I've seen .22 Magnum do a fair job of tearing things up and if you've got 30 rounds on tap.... need I say more?

Sevens
September 19, 2011, 12:43 AM
It would be not only 30 rounds...
It would be 30 rounds with very little recoil and muzzle flip meaning a lot of rounds in a small area very quickly.

I couldn't ever rationally argue that a 40 or 45 grain .224" pill moving at .22 Magnum speeds is going to be a 230 grain Gold Dot or a 125 grain .357 Mag bullet... but jeeeeeez, 30 of them hitting in short order?

It seems like it would be a terrific choice for someone that for physical reasons, can't manipulate a proper defensive handgun. And although a 30 round fully loaded magazine is going to have some real tangible weight, the pistol weighs almost nothing. It's pure comedy when you pick one up -- it's like picking up a model of a handgun made of balsa wood. You'll laugh... if you've never picked one up, you'll swear it's going to say "NERF" on the side of it.

Bill DeShivs
September 19, 2011, 01:10 AM
The gun is still extremely light, even when loaded.
Most shooters are more sensitive to muzzle blast than recoil. The PMR 30 has plenty of muzzle blast.