PDA

View Full Version : How often do you/should you replace mag springs for carry gun

9mm
September 17, 2011, 10:31 PM
So how often should you replace your springs in a Glock for EDC? I havn't shot them that much, just constant 24/7 365 loaded with 13 rounds(I took 2 out so it doesn't compress all the way)

I got less than 600 rounds down the gun and using 4 magazines.

American Eagle
September 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
I have left magazines loaded for months at a time with no difference whatsoever, and put thousands of rounds through them without issue. My guess is that a good modern magazine will last many years loaded without the springs being damaged, and can go through 10's of thousands of rounds without ill effect either.

If it makes you feel better, change your magazines out every 5 years or so. Quit worrying so much, modern gun magazines are not made out of margarine....they are made out of stern stuff.

Kreyzhorse
September 18, 2011, 08:00 AM
You really shouldn't have to change out your springs at all.

There have been lots of posts on the same subject and a quick search will reveal a lot of information.

Walt Sherrill
September 18, 2011, 08:02 AM
Do a search of "magazine springs," "stretching springs," etc., here on the firing line. Here's one link that's not too old, with a number of technical references:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442487&highlight=stretching+springs

You'll find that it really is dependent on the type of gun and the type of magazine.

Wolff Springs recommends downloading a round or two for sub-compact, compact, and hi-cap mags when doing long-term storage, but says it's probably not necessary for most 1911 or full-size (10-round) guns.

Keeping a mag fully loaded, if it's a sub-compact or hi-cap can lead to accelerated wear (but won't necessarily do so). That's because a compressed mag spring is trying to lift the weight of those rounds the entire time it's fully compressed, and when "fully compressed" it's in a "zone" [Wolff calls it the spring's "elastic design limit"] that is really straining the spring.

Leaving those types of mags fully compressed will eventually wear the springs down, but it may take so long that it's not a practical concern. (Unloading the mags won't make things better, as magazine springs don't heal -- but lowering the stress on the mags does delay the inevitable. Rotating mags, likewise, just spreads the wear.)

If you're carrying, keep the mags fully loaded. If you're storing long term, download a round or two. Why not?

If you shoot the guns regularly, you'll know if things aren't right -- and that's the best way to check.

7jinxed7
September 18, 2011, 08:06 AM
Glock has some very stout mag springs. My Glock sat loaded for about 6 years. I finally got some spare mags and gave them some relaxing time off. Hasn't caused any issues at all. Still stout and 100% reliable. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get some extra mags when you can and rotate them out if your worried about it.

graysmoke
September 18, 2011, 08:43 AM
Glock internal magazine springs are known for their very smooth movement flow. Thus another part of the companies simple superiority.

drail
September 18, 2011, 09:29 AM
"simple superiority" Oh please...............

Sparks1957
September 18, 2011, 09:57 AM
I never keep magazines loaded forever, I cycle them through at the range periodically to make sure they're all functional, then re-load my carry mags.

Magazines are an expendable part of your weapon; they don't last forever, and people should simply expect to replace them eventually. Whenever I buy a new pistol, I buy a few mags as well, so I always have spares.