PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19: Ejecting into My Head

TunnelRat
September 17, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hey all,
Won't be the first, won't be the last post about my Glock 19. Love how it shoots, even more so I love the size. However, I have noticed that it likes to eject cases into my forehead or right over it. I wear eye protection and it really doesn't unnerve me. However, I tend to shoot with friends and it does unnerve some of them.

Is this normal? Is it ammo related? I am shooting Federal Champion 115 gr. Not every round has this problem, but it is frequent enough.

-TR

Don Glock
September 17, 2011, 08:48 PM
it's either your extractor or ejector, or both. simple and cheap to change.

9mm
September 17, 2011, 08:59 PM
Yup, problem. I have had only like 2 out of 500 rounds do that to me.

TunnelRat
September 17, 2011, 09:05 PM
@Don
Can I do it myself or should I send it to Glock?

-TR

Don Glock
September 17, 2011, 09:09 PM
dealing with glock is a costly and time consuming headache. it's easy to do yourself.

9mm
September 17, 2011, 09:18 PM
Theres videos on youtube how to do it :)

JohnKSa
September 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
If this is a new Gen 4, you might check to see if it has the new style spring for the 9mm guns. Originally the new Gen4 9mms came with the same springs used in the .40S&W guns but they turned out to be overkill for the 9mms. So they came out with a different spring for them.

Stovepipes and empties coming straight back are common symptoms of either a recoil spring that's overly robust or of a grip that isn't firm enough. It could also be a problem with the extractor or ejector, but I'd start with the easy stuff first. Glock will send you the proper recoil spring at no charge if you've got one of the original ones that's too strong.

FAK
September 17, 2011, 09:47 PM
Glock 19: Ejecting into My Head

If your firearm ejecting things into your head, I can only assume you're holding it backwards. :D :eek:

Actually I've had that happen to me on occasion with just about any handgun. Usually stems from limp-wristing.

C0untZer0
September 17, 2011, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately this is a common problem with the newer Glocks. You can go to Glocktalk and search on it.

I lost count of how many iterations there are on the RSA now - but you can check on Glocktalk to find the latestm and Glock will give you the latest if it's a Gen 4 and you don't have the latest RSA.

In most of the posts that I've read though it has been an extractor problem. Some people have sent their guns back to Glock only to have it reoccur when the pistol came back.

Some people eventually got tired of that and purchased LoneWolf extractors which does fix the problem.

TunnelRat
September 17, 2011, 09:53 PM
This is a gen 3. Where would I order parts from?

Don Glock
September 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
usually the cheapest option is a local gunshop. that's where i got my extractors for $13.

online, glockparts.com, midwayusa, or brownells is good. they run about $20 on there.

C0untZer0
September 17, 2011, 10:08 PM
Your recoil spring is probably OK, I have heard rumors that even Gen 3s that are new have MIM extractors that are flicking the brass striaght back.

I have a new 17L and have only gotten hit in the head once with a case.

You can order extractor straight from LWD's website.

TunnelRat
September 17, 2011, 11:22 PM
I am really inexperienced when it comes to gunsmithing. I'm not an idiot, just never done it. If there are instructions I might be able to muddle through, just letting you know.

How do I know the replacement isn't MIM?

AZAK
September 17, 2011, 11:34 PM
Seriously now, why would you want to circumvent Glock's newest safety feature, the PLCI? (Previously Loaded Chamber Indicator) Lets one know each and every time that they pull the trigger when the pistol is loaded. Bang... thwack...bang... thwack... Unloaded pistol: trigger release... no thwack!

If others report success with the Lone Wolf, does it matter how it is made? Pragmatism for your "perfection"!

dsk
September 17, 2011, 11:35 PM
Like I said in another thread earlier, a lot of the problems being blamed on the new Gen4s have been manifesting themselves in the latest-production Gen3s as well. The extractor is a case in point. Glock recently joined the MIM club, and now both the extractor and frame locking block are MIM. There may be other parts that are as well, but I'm not sure. You can easily tell a MIM part because you'll see a mark where the sprue that was created when injection-molding the part was cut off.

Of course prior to being MIM the parts were investment castings, so it's up to one's own bias for/against MIM as to whether it was a step forward or step backwards.

AZAK
September 17, 2011, 11:44 PM
If there are instructions I might be able to muddle through, just letting you know.
One quick look at YT (and there are probably more out there) produced this as the first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JJ69X7Ttdo&feature=related

Hope that you can make it work without the "thwack".

SHNOMIDO
September 17, 2011, 11:52 PM
is the pistol new? i had that problem with my FNP but it cleared up entirely after about 100 rounds, now ejects comfortably to the right (obviously) over the shoulder and out of my line of sight.

Had cases on my ballcap brim at the beginning.

just saying, might be a wearing in thing, and not worth the hassle of sending it in if it will clear up on its own.

If its a new pistol, give it one more range session before you send it off.

C0untZer0
September 18, 2011, 12:09 AM
It's very easy, there are at least 3 good YT videos that I know of.

You take a punch tool, or narrow flathead screwdriver and hold down the firing pin spacer sleeve. While holding the spacer down, take off the slide cover plate. Take out the extractor depressor plunger. Hold the slide so the extractor is facing down, push down on the firing pin safety and the extractor will fall right out.

I actually have found that the one place on the pistol that accumulates the most crud is right behind the extractor, so I take mine out after every trip to the range and clean out the slot where the extractor sits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fwz0eWAFg

C0untZer0
September 18, 2011, 12:19 AM
From what I've read, when the Glock starts throwing brass straight back, it just increases in frequency and the problem gets increasingly worse.

SHNOMIDO
September 18, 2011, 12:21 AM
Yea, the FNP and glock arnt exactly brothers or cousins...

Just my two cents from personal experience.

Its a real pain too, distracts you from your next shot, and if you get one down your shirt its tons of fun...

for the person next to you.

C0untZer0
September 18, 2011, 01:06 AM
It got me curious about my 17L extractor.

The newer extractors have a slight downward curve in them, as you look at them installed in their slot.

Supposedly those are the problematic extractors.

My 17L extractor definately has the slight downward curve, but I can't see a molding mark / sprue on the peice. I've only been hit in the head with a case 1 time. I don't think there is a handgun that I've ever fired that I didn't get at least 1 case bounce off my head.

Here is a picture of the dip:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/kaneman23/IMG_3735.jpg

The owner of this extractor has circled what he beleives is the molding mark from the MIM process.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00563.jpg

I can't find a molding mark on my extractor.

Another thing that might be a telltale sign that you have a bad extractor is that it doesn't come out of or go into it's slot easily. If you've never cleaned back there it probably won't fall out of it's slot. After you get it out, clean it and the sludge in the slot, then it should slip right in and should literally fall out of the slide if you are holding the slide with the extractor facing down and you depress the firing pin safety. Some people have reported that the extractors that thre brass in their face also didn't come out easily or go back in easily.

TunnelRat
September 18, 2011, 09:41 AM
I've got ~400 rounds through the gun so far. I can't say it has gotten better, not sure if it's gotten worse.

My question is, if people seem to think the problem is that the extractor is MIM, how do they know that the replacements on these sites aren't MIM? Is one company better than another? Does it matter if it has the loaded chamber indicator?

Madirishman
September 18, 2011, 09:54 AM
Lone Wolf carries a LCI replacement which apparently does a better job than the Glock factory part. There are many many threads on almost every gun board I look at regarding this. I have experienced similar ejection problems with my 19 but it is fairly new to me and I'm still working up a decent handload for it.

Once I nail down a load I'm happy with and I'm still experiencing problems I will then look at replacement. I have the same new-style extractor on two other .40 Glocks and have not experienced a problem, this seems mostly to affect the 9mm.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=155971

voyager4520
September 18, 2011, 10:00 AM
Weak ammo will eject erratically, particularly Federal Champion. Try some 9mm NATO FMJ and see if ejection gets any better.
How do I know the replacement isn't MIM?
All of the newest Glock extractors are made by whatever this new process is, whether it's MIM or "less precise" casting. The only way to find one of the older Glock extractors that was cast more precisely is to know the difference between the two and look around at gunshops that have old stock of Glock parts.

The LoneWolf Distributors 9mm LCI extractor is investment cast from tool steel, the same process by which the old Glock extractors were made. LoneWolf also sells Glock factory extractors, so you have to pick the one manufactured by LoneWolf, this one: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=155971&CAT=136 (though it's backordered)

Glock has a new ejector for the Gen4 9mm's, presumably the same ejector will be put into Gen3 as well. It has a rearward tilt to it so that it raises the case mouth earlier during ejection.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369607 (post #15 shows good pictures)
This new ejector just hit the light of day so there's no knowing if it will replace the standard 9mm ejector across Generations, or when it will be available from online parts retailers.

The larger caliber extractors have a 5 degree tilt to the hook to accomplish the same thing, raise the case mouth earlier during ejection. You can actually use a .40 extractor in a 9mm Glock and it will work perfectly, perhaps better than a 9mm extractor.

Here are some detail strip resources: http://glock.pro/glock-cleaning-lubrication/3396-glock-detail-strip-resources.html

On the following page are some Glock Armorer's Manuals, just scroll down to the "G" section. I learned from the Update Manual and 2009 Manual. The 2009 Manual has a few pages missing, but that info can be found in the Update Manual as well.
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

JN01
September 18, 2011, 02:03 PM
I once experimented with limp wristing my G19 (3rd Gen) to see if I could induce a jam. Doing so resulted in being whacked in the face with ejected brass fairly regularly.

Don Glock
September 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
where did these posts about non-LCI extractors come from? :confused:

you haven't been able to buy one of those in years, unless you happen to know someone that has an extra stashed away.

federali
September 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
The safety glasses are not enough. Make sure you're wearing a hat with brim. It's a most unpleasant experience to have a very hot, freshly ejected shell casing lodge between your glasses and your face. It's worse than getting one down your shirt collar.

Also, limpwristing can cause the gun to rotate a bit on firing, directing the casing to your face if you're right handed.

TunnelRat
September 18, 2011, 04:12 PM
I am pretty confident I am not limpwristing. Will hit a range again at some point this week to be sure. It happens to others as well. I can watch the rounds go right over or into my head. I will make a conscious effort to not limp wrist when I go again.

Ridge_Runner_5
September 18, 2011, 05:58 PM
The safety glasses are not enough. Make sure you're wearing a hat with brim. It's a most unpleasant experience to have a very hot, freshly ejected shell casing lodge between your glasses and your face. It's worse than getting one down your shirt collar.

Exactly that happened to me this morning. Got a nice set of burn marks on my eyebrow and my cheek where the casing stopped right in front of my eye.

MagnumWill
September 18, 2011, 11:13 PM
This is funny, my friend and I just went shooting the other day with our new guns, his being a G19 and it did the same thing! I'll look into that other extractor. Good info :)

mellow_c
September 19, 2011, 12:16 AM
This thread is awesome... my new gen 3 19 does it to me on occasion too... and after seeing the pic on this thread and then looking at my 19, it has the same dip or curve in the extractor. I looked at an older gen 3, and it is straight, no dip, and that one does not fling them at my face ever!.... I'm gona order one of those lone wolf extractors, I'm willing to bet that will fix the problem. Seams like a higher quality part than the new factory glock extractors anyway, plus it shouldent fling them back into my face. Thanks everyone for the posts!:)

HKFan9
September 19, 2011, 12:55 AM
So I take it Glocks definition of Perfection is a loose one?;);)

Like others have stated it is most likely your extractor, I would find a local shop who deals with Glock parts... generally if you buy it from them they will install it for a small fee if any at all.

I don't care how simple the task is... if you are inexperienced, and uncomfortable with it, let a professional do it. I have seem some nightmares walk in the doors just from guys trying to do a simple field strip and clean.:eek:

Don Glock
September 19, 2011, 01:03 AM
a semi-retarded monkey could replace any part on a glock.

HKFan9
September 19, 2011, 01:40 AM
You would think/hope but unfortunately I have seen otherwise.

C0untZer0
September 19, 2011, 02:16 AM
Most monkeys in the jungle are smarter than most of the retards in Washington.

C0untZer0
September 19, 2011, 02:17 AM
Watch it HK or the Glock fanboys will pull out the H&K add with the bullets loaded backwards in the magazine...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73904&stc=1&d=1316417237

Don Glock
September 19, 2011, 05:59 AM
[CODE]Most monkeys in the jungle are smarter than most of the retards in Washington.

Touche.

HKFan9
September 19, 2011, 10:00 AM
Watch it HK or the Glock fanboys will pull out the H&K add with the bullets loaded backwards in the magazine...

Count.... that just shows H&K's superiority over the competition.... it can shoot bullets forwards AND BACKWARDS:eek: It is smart enough to correct for operator error.:rolleyes:

I do love that picture however.

voyager4520
September 20, 2011, 11:35 PM
The Boberg XR9 actually does load the magazine like that. Perhaps the creator got the idea when he saw that ad. :confused:

A lot of people who are using the actual 9mm LWD extractor are reporting even worse ejection than stock. If I owned a 9mm Glock that had erratic ejection I'd try the .40 extractor or just call Glock and try to get the new ejector. I know of one person who just sent his Gen3 G19 back to Glock and the Glock tech told him they'd be putting the new ejector in his gun, so apparently the ejector isn't just for Gen4.