PDA

View Full Version : Dirty barrel on arrival

postmaster
September 17, 2011, 06:14 PM
I recently bought a advertised NIB Sig 226. When it arrived I first disassembled it to check it out. I noticed the bore was dirty. Is that normal for Sig? This is the first Sig I bought. It is perfect in appearance and after cleaning the bore is bright and shinny. Just wanted to know if anyone else found this to be true of a new gun. Seems like even if tested they should have run a mop down the barrel.

overkill0084
September 17, 2011, 06:34 PM
I've seen it a couple times. You know that fired case in the little envelope they include with a lot of guns these days? There you go. Annoying but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
You were going to pull it apart and clean it anyway, right?

trex1310
September 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
Better than a screw missing.

Don Glock
September 17, 2011, 08:47 PM
no worries. many manufacturers don't clean them after test firing. my brand new SA 1911's were pretty filthy inside in the barrel.

JHansenAK47
September 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
Seems like even if tested they should have run a mop down the barrel.
time = money

shortwave
September 17, 2011, 11:06 PM
A buddy of mine often runs a mop down the bores of 'dirty' news guns when he receives them into his shop before putting them out on display. This is not inherent only to Sigs.

GM2
September 18, 2011, 04:43 AM
I was taught in The US Navy that any new Gear is dirty Gear and needs to be cleaned. Found that to be true.

Sparks1957
September 18, 2011, 05:04 AM
You're going to take it down and clean/lube it before you shoot it anyway, right?

It's no big deal; manufacturers test fire a few rounds, so you have some assurance that it functions.

kst8fan
September 18, 2011, 07:14 AM
I had the same problem only it was with a revolver. Bought a Ruger SP101 357 magnum NIB. Barrel was dirty upon arrival and Im still seeing metal shavings coming out of the frame once in a while when Im cleaning it. You would think that would be the last thing on the checklist before it leaves the factory is to give the gun a good cleaning, and atleast blow out all the shavings. However the little gun shoots great.

Kreyzhorse
September 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
As pointed out, it's no big deal. They are test fired before leaving and you should clean and lube it before your first range session anyway.

handlebar
September 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
My Smith/Wesson M&P 9mm compact had the dirtiest bore I have ever seen on a new gun. One brush through it and it was as shiny as shiny could be. Don't worry about it.

khegglie
September 18, 2011, 09:04 AM
I once reamed a LGS over a dirty barrel in a new Browning BDM; later learned this it is not uncommon to find this.

Boatme98
September 18, 2011, 09:26 AM
You do clean new clothes before wearing, don't you? Every product is dirty upon manufacture.