PDA

View Full Version : Para GI Expert and Springfield Mil-Spec

SoilworK777
September 17, 2011, 05:52 PM
Do both have forged slides and frames? What internal design differences are there if any? The Para would be about 65 dollars less, but the Springfield comes with an extra set of grips and some type of holster.

Sarge
September 17, 2011, 06:13 PM
I've had Mil Specs and worked on a few for friends. I believe I'd give the Para a shot, if the choice was mine.

jaytothekizzay
September 17, 2011, 06:31 PM
They are gonna be similar internally. They are both 1911s. Personally I believe the Springer is a better gun

Don Glock
September 17, 2011, 06:46 PM
i owned a GI expert. buy a mil spec.

i own a couple other SA 1911's, they're great quality and their CS is indeed awesome.

i tried dealing with para's "gold medallion" cust service about some issues with my GI expert-that's the point that i decided to sell it :eek:

UZO
September 17, 2011, 06:50 PM
Owned a SA Mil-Spec... Great gun, great value for the $$... and SA Customer Service is 1+++ and that's VERY IMPORTANT!!

Aguila Blanca
September 17, 2011, 07:27 PM
The Para GI Expert currently uses an investment cast slide and frame. That will change soon, as they will be moving to offshore production with extruded slides (but AFAIK still investment cast frames). The SA Mil-Spec has a forged slide and frame.

Of course, at present the GI Expert is manufactured in North Carolina and the Mil-Spec is manufactured in Brazil. That matters more to some folks than it does to others. Perhaps more important is the fact that an investment cast frame is (popular belief notwithstanding) inherently inferior to forged. Caspian Arms supplies frames and slides to many of the top custom pistolsmiths in the country. Caspian's slides and frames are investment castings. The Browing Hi-Power originally had a forged frame. When they introduced the .40 S&W version, they went to an investment cast frame because they thought that was BETTER able to stand up to the more powerful .40 S&W round.

I have shot the GI Expert and I like it.

Rugerismisticness
September 17, 2011, 08:59 PM
Aguila summed it up perfectly. There are more stress points in a forging, and that is why the casting can take more pounding (ofcoarse, something like crio treatment may make a forging stress free). Castings are great, ask Ruger.

scottl
September 17, 2011, 09:43 PM
Mil-Spec is manufactured in Brazil
They are forged at Imbel in Brazil.If serial # starts with N it was final assembled there too except for sights and beavertail.NM serial will be completely final assembled in Illinois.

shortwave
September 17, 2011, 10:42 PM
My vote would have to go to the GI.

EdInk
September 17, 2011, 11:05 PM
Go on the 1911 forums. Buy a Springfield.

amd6547
September 17, 2011, 11:20 PM
I owned a GI Expert for about a year...It was very accurate. It did jam a couple times in the first 100rds, but I blame that on the two junky mags they provide.
The CS nightmares I read about concerned me. That, and the fact that when I registered it with them online, I never recieved a confirmation...or anything.
Strangely enough, a year after registering it with them, and a two months after I sold it, I started getting email come ons from them to buy stuff...things that had nothing to do with a 1911.

michael t
September 17, 2011, 11:52 PM
I would go with the Springer. They just have better reputation. I had one Para few years back the warranty service wasn't best Quick turn around but pistol was no better than when sent in. :rolleyes:

Aguila Blanca
September 18, 2011, 12:02 AM
They are forged at Imbel in Brazil.If serial # starts with N it was final assembled there too except for sights and beavertail.NM serial will be completely final assembled in Illinois.
But very few Mil-Spec have the 'NM' serial numbers. Assembly in the U.S. is mostly reserved for the higher priced models. Most Mil-Specs (and I think all GIs) are fully manufactured and assembled in Brazil.

bac1023
September 18, 2011, 12:09 AM
Para uses a cast frame and slide.

scottl
September 18, 2011, 12:26 AM
But very few Mil-Spec have the 'N' serial numbers. Assembly in the U.S. is mostly reserved for the higher priced models. Most Mil-Specs (and I think all GIs) are fully manufactured and assembled in Brazil.
Mil-Specs and Loadeds are mix bag between the N & NM.Once you get to Operator line and up your into Illinois guns.

Hunter Customs
September 18, 2011, 08:36 AM
As others have already stated, Para's are cast, Springfields are forged.
I would go with the Springfield if it was my money being spent.
If ever needed, Springfield has the best customer service and warranty in the business.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com