PDA

View Full Version : Made A Trade Today "How did I do"

Doug11606
September 17, 2011, 12:07 PM
Traded a Stainless Smith & Wesson model 686 6" barrell revolver for two semi-auto handguns.

A Taurus PT145 Pro & A Taurus PT111 CA

How did I do, any comments?

Kreyzhorse
September 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
How have your new guns performed? Taurus can be pretty hit or miss at times.

Personally, I wouldn't have made that trade but if you are happy with it, that is really all that matters.

shootniron
September 17, 2011, 12:24 PM
Personally, I wouldn't have made that trade

JWT
September 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
I would have passed on the swap. One S&W is worth more than two Taurus IMO. If you're satisfied, that's all that really matters.

hermannr
September 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
I would have kept the Smith

checkmyswag
September 17, 2011, 12:36 PM
If you're happy with it...

then you did well.

BlackJackID
September 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
yes, I would have done that trade as well, but I am not a fan of revolvers, have traded every one of them I have came into posession of. I own a Taurus PT100, and love it...but hated the 24/7 I had before. The Milleniums seem to be good guns, but from what I have found (my brother owns 2) is that they hate certain primers. If you plan on, in any way, depending on these pistols, make sure you test your ammo (as you always should) .

Toney
September 17, 2011, 12:47 PM
Yep if you like them that's all that matters.

GONIF
September 17, 2011, 12:55 PM
S&W pre key lock revolvers will do nothing but go up in value, Taurus ,probably not :rolleyes:

Uncle Malice
September 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
I've got some bad news for you.................

This.

Amin Parker
September 17, 2011, 01:29 PM
That was not a good trade. He is probably on another forum having a good laugh.

Don Glock
September 17, 2011, 01:41 PM
no way i'd trade a s&w for a taurus.

x3m
September 17, 2011, 01:49 PM
I don't fancy revolvers , so personally I would have traded him for the pt111 and would have been happy , since I own one and am quite content with it , so you got an extra gun with it , what a bargain :D
out of curiousity is the pt111 the first generation DAO or the newer type ?

jmr40
September 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
The actual value of the Smith you traded and the 2 guns you got is about equal in todays dollars. The problem is that 10 years from now the Smith will be worth considerably more than today. The 2 guns you now have will be worth considerably less than they are today. If they are still working at all.

WIL TERRY
September 17, 2011, 02:13 PM
OH MY.................I hope the guy kissed you nicely......

varoadking
September 17, 2011, 02:27 PM
I would have passed on the swap. One S&W is worth more than two Taurus IMO.

This is a gross understatement.

IMHO, of course...

10mm4ever
September 17, 2011, 02:28 PM
Well, live and learn.......

Doug S
September 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
Agree with most of the others...bad deal. Still, as long as you're happy, that is what matters

kristop64089
September 17, 2011, 03:19 PM
As a FORMER Taurus owner, I can speak with ALL HONESTY.

I have had 6 different Taurus firearms. ALL but one had issues (651ss) And I dealt in the selling of 158 Taurus model 62's(IIRC) and at least 3/4 of them had timing issues.

For most gun owners, "2 is one, 1 is none" with Taurus 2 is equal to half and the Smith is worth 2.

Live and learn. If these guns never fail you, then more power to you. If they do fail, you may have a long road to hoe. Hopefully, you acquired 2 good Taurus. I hate to be a downer, but that is the unfortunate reality of Turus firearms.

9mm
September 17, 2011, 03:22 PM
2 guns for one is a good deal if the vaule of the two is worth more than the first.

I wouldn't have only, I have no info on those guns and they look ugly IMO. Live and learn.;)

Good thing is Taurus has life time warranty.

kst8fan
September 17, 2011, 03:44 PM
I would have kept the smith. The 686 is a great firearm and taurus is junk. I know from experience and won't ever buy another one. However I hope your 2 new firearms peform flawlessly for you. Just my two cents worth.

Timbow
September 17, 2011, 04:20 PM
I would have to reiterate the general consensus here, I'd have kept the Smith for sure. The 686 is a very fine revolver. The Taurus autos, well, their reputation precedes them. Hopefully they work for you.

lee n. field
September 17, 2011, 04:32 PM
Traded a Stainless Smith & Wesson model 686 6" barrell revolver for two semi-auto handguns.

A Taurus PT145 Pro & A Taurus PT111 CA

How did I do, any comments?

Two Taurus Milleniums. Millenia. Whatever.

I wouldn't have done it unless I had an especial need for a compact auto.

kozak6
September 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't have made the trade.

If the pistols function properly, it's close to being an even trade in the short run.

MC 1911
September 17, 2011, 06:31 PM
Some questions are best not asked. As long as YOU are happy it doesn't matter what we think. I'm sure we have all done something that others wouldn't, and have been perfectly happy!!! I have.:D

KC Rob
September 17, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hopefully the other guy took you to dinner and a movie first before he "bleeped" you! :D

Kidding aside, I think you made a decent short term deal, but the Smith was only going to get more valuable, the Taurus' not so much. Still, a two for one deal feels good. You doubled your gun collection!

kinggabby
September 17, 2011, 06:39 PM
Some questions are best not asked. As long as YOU are happy it doesn't matter what we think. I'm sure we have all done something that others wouldn't, and have been perfectly happy!!! I have. This is so true.

Uncle Malice
September 17, 2011, 06:53 PM
Yep. I once traded a Sig P220 Stainless Elite for an M&P with Crimson Trace.... Thought it was a good trade... for about 24 hours... then wanted to punch myself in the face!

Edward429451
September 17, 2011, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't have traded that.

kokopelli
September 17, 2011, 07:36 PM
oooh. Do you have that sick to your stomach feeling yet?

you will.

Adamantium
September 17, 2011, 07:37 PM
A gun is only worth money if you sell it. Just thought I'd add a bit of common sense to the discussion here.

If you had no use for the S&W, but do have uses for the Taurus then you did just fine. The dollars add up. Truly the lesson learned here is that internet forums value brand name above, well, value.

Uncle Malice
September 17, 2011, 08:07 PM
Truly the lesson learned here is that internet forums value brand name above, well, value.

False.

Doug11606
September 17, 2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the comments. True the Smith is a good quality firearm, my thoughts are that it is a perfect gun to pistol hunt or maybe home protection. Since I don't pistol hunt or need a side arm for hunting carry pistols would be more suited for my girlfriend & I.

I do have a question though, I hear reference to generation 1,2,3 etcetera. How does one identify generation of the firearm.

Adamantium
September 17, 2011, 08:31 PM
...my thoughts are that it is a perfect gun to pistol hunt or maybe home protection. Since I don't pistol hunt or need a side arm for hunting...

Need > Want. You made an excellent choice. Taurus Millenium are as good as any budget poly gun.

False.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. "

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of US

Uncle Malice
September 17, 2011, 08:59 PM
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. "

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of US

Also false. Lincoln never said that, it is a misrepresented quote, but good job on your attempt at passive-aggressive ad hominem attacks. :rolleyes:

kristop64089
September 17, 2011, 09:49 PM
U.M., where is the like button when you need it?

Main thing is the guy is happy.
It's been said many times over, but I'll say it again.
If I only bought the guns that met a forums approval, I'd only own a 1911, maybe a BHP, an 870, and a .30-06.

Life is full of choices, I have had no less than 500 different guns. I like guns. Every now and again I'll get a lemon. I really like Taurus, and the innovation they show. I just wish they put 1/4 of the effort into quality control. Have I traded badly? You bet! Have I learned from it? Absolutely.
If these guns are what you want, and prove reliable, ROCK ON.

Colorado Redneck
September 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
on Taurus in this forum, you will find that there is a fairly large number of members that hate Taurus. If you scan through some of the threads you will find lots and lots Taurus bashing. I am not sure there is credible evidence to back up the prejudice against firearms from the company.

I have owned two Taurus revolvers, and never had a bit of trouble with either of them. The local gun shop has told me several times that they have very few Taurus guns go back to them.

So my advice to you is take all of the dergatory comments with a grain of salt. If you are happy, thats all that counts.:D

HKFan9
September 17, 2011, 10:42 PM

+1

I can tell you from personal experience that we get more Taurus guns back to us with issues than any other make we sell. More semi-auto's than revolvers... but we do get revolvers back, even Judges.

If YOUR happy with the trade.... than more power to you..... but the other guy came out on top in my opinion.

Also false. Lincoln never said that, it is a misrepresented quote, but good job on your attempt at passive-aggressive ad hominem attacks.

+1000 hahahaha

stoney64
September 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
I've been a defender of Taurus on this forum buuuuuttttt, I never trade; Colt, S&W or Ruger revolvers unless it's for a Colt or S&W (metal) semi, that's just me 'cause I want to leave those to the Grandkids and plastic guns aren't really heirlooms.

If you are happy then it was worth it.

Both Taurus' will be good pistols for you.

Check out Taurusarmednet for a breakdown on the gen 1,2,3 thing, nice guys there, won't rip you for having Taurus.

JHansenAK47
September 17, 2011, 11:19 PM
Yep. I once traded a Sig P220 Stainless Elite for an M&P with Crimson Trace.... Thought it was a good trade... for about 24 hours... then wanted to punch myself in the face!
I traded a excellent condition parkerized from the factory makarov made by Arsenal of bulgaria and a CZ82 for a LNIB Ruger SR9. I still feel stupid for trading two awesome guns that I liked for one one I don't like at all because I already have awesome 9mm pistols that I not only love but wouldn't waste my valuable ammo in the SR9 when I could shoot one of them instead.

TheNocturnus
September 17, 2011, 11:50 PM
As long as both Taurus Semi's function perfectly then you got a decent deal for you and your girlfriend. Now you have 2 guns to protect each other instead of one. I do see a problem though... who gets the .45 and who gets the 9mm?

I have had a bad experience with a PT111, it was garbage but they can't all be bad. I just had a lemon.

michael t
September 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Never in a million years would I have traded a S&W for 2 Taurus. At least not with out about $600 boot .

Sorry I rate Taurus bottom feeder Yes I have own 3 and that was 3 to many. I was a slow learner..

American Eagle
September 18, 2011, 12:09 AM
I wonder what's next? "I traded a Colt 1903 and a Colt Python for two Taurus?" :D:eek:

Let that be a lesson to you. I would have not done that trade in a million years.

DBLAction454
September 18, 2011, 12:17 AM
Sounds like you traded a cadillac for two toilets in my opinion....

I know id feel like S*** after that...

As long as both Taurus Semi's function perfectly then you got a decent deal for you and your girlfriend. Now you have 2 guns to protect each other instead of one. I do see a problem though... who gets the .45 and who gets the 9mm?

I have had a bad experience with a PT111, it was garbage but they can't all be bad. I just had a lemon.

don't ever ever EVER trust your life or the life of the ones you love (girlfriend) to a weapon who manufacturer has a reputation for making garbage...

A gun that doesnt work is a really expensive hammer....hope you learned your lesson :(

shortwave
September 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
Oooops!

TheNocturnus
September 18, 2011, 12:49 AM
Sounds like you traded a cadillac for two toilets in my opinion....

I know id feel like S*** after that...

don't ever ever EVER trust your life or the life of the ones you love (girlfriend) to a weapon who manufacturer has a reputation for making garbage...

A gun that doesnt work is a really expensive hammer....hope you learned your lesson

Relax man.

I have had a horrible experience with a Taurus but am willing to trust my model 85 revolver. As long as this guy got 2 functioning guns what's the problem? S&W make good guns but they are not god-like, they are just guns. To be honest, the airweights feel like cheap toys to me. The 686 is also a large gun and the PT models are very concealable. To each their own I guess.

HKFan9
September 18, 2011, 01:03 AM
It is true even the best makers will produce a lemon.... but Taurus produces lemons on a much larger scale.

I work behind a gun counter... I work side by side with gun smiths everyday...I am in charge of packing and sending guns out for warranty work. I can tell you Taurus is our highest returned brand, followed by Bersa, followed by Kel-Tec, followed by Beretta. Smith and Wesson 22A's come back a lot also.

I am not saying this is everyone's experience, but I have held these broken guns in my very own hands, I would never ever trust my life to Taurus. Your ONE example of Taurus might work flawlessly... but I have handled far TOO MANY that have not.

You can call us all bashers, gun snobs, and nay sayers... but there ARE reasons behind all the negative details in reference to Taurus.

TheNocturnus
September 18, 2011, 01:11 AM
It is true even the best makers will produce a lemon.... but Taurus produces lemons on a much larger scale.

I work behind a gun counter... I work side by side with gun smiths everyday...I am in charge of packing and sending guns out for warranty work. I can tell you Taurus is our highest returned brand, followed by Bersa, followed by Kel-Tec, followed by Beretta. Smith and Wesson 22A's come back a lot also.

I am not saying this is everyone's experience, but I have held these broken guns in my very own hands, I would never ever trust my life to Taurus. Your ONE example of Taurus might work flawlessly... but I have handled far TOO MANY that have not.

You can call us all bashers, gun snobs, and nay sayers... but there ARE reasons behind all the negative details in reference to Taurus.

Oh I understand why Taurus gets a bad rap, they have earned it with their terrible customer service and poor quality control. If my model 85 wasn't made in their heyday I would not own it. Not wanting to derail this thread anymore I will just say that as long as the OP feels good about his trade and his guns function properly good on him. I really hope for his and his girlfriends sake they test each gun thoroughly before trusting them.

AustinTX
September 18, 2011, 01:24 AM
I hate to add to the disappointing chorus, but I wouldn't have considered that trade for a tenth of a second.

However, if you feel you've upgraded your position, and if the guns themselves function without any problems, our negative opinions are especially meaningless. I wish you good luck.

taurus4life
September 18, 2011, 04:27 AM
was it a smart finacial move . probably not, but if its what suited you at the time then who is it for us to judge you. have a many taurus products and not have had any problems with them. do they make some lemons. yes. does colt make lemons. yes. and how many 1000$ colts are sold compared to $300-$400 taurus's. i would say taurus makes 5 times as many guns then colt or any other high end manufacturer, so yes they have more lemons out there.

GM2
September 18, 2011, 05:49 AM
I never trade guns, but I like S&W revolvers so much that It sounds like a bad trade to me. :rolleyes:

PAT FINN
September 18, 2011, 06:41 AM
since you and the other person made the deal, both of you must be happy with the trade.

Me, I would be happy making that trade,
I love the S&W 686 and would love to unload the Taurus ...

varoadking
September 18, 2011, 06:54 AM
If my model 85 wasn't made in their heyday I would not own it.

They had a heyday? What day was that...February 29th?

handlebar
September 18, 2011, 08:27 AM
I must agree, you should have kept the Smith, however if you are happy then that is all that matters.

blchandl2
September 18, 2011, 08:50 AM
If both of you are happy, it is a win-win. That is all that matters.

Enjoy your new guns.

khegglie
September 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
he got beat so bad I'M hurt:eek:

Skadoosh
September 18, 2011, 09:04 AM
...can you retract the trade?

TheNocturnus
September 18, 2011, 01:42 PM
They had a heyday? What day was that...February 29th?

LOL, the revolvers they made in the 80's and early 90's are actually built very well. Try to find one, you will be surprised. Once they added that stupid locking mechanism it screwed everything up.

Unfortunately their semi auto's have always been a 50/50 shot of getting a good one.

Doug S
September 18, 2011, 03:44 PM
Truly the lesson learned here is that internet forums value brand name above, well, value.

Did he mention something about "commonsense", because this sentence doesn't reflect it??

Simply not true. May experience is 7 Taurus guns, 4 of which required multiple trips back to the factory, and usually still were not fixed. I have yet to return a S&W or Ruger revolver.

The idea of some Taurus owners that people are people "bashing" Taurus when they recommend against buying one after having repeated problems with Taurus is simply absurd. Now, if you have one and like it...great, enjoy it. I happy for you, but don't be so small minded as to accuse others of falsehood because their experience is different. I'm a Glock fan. There are many people who don't like Glock. I dont mind the people who don't like Glock, and I don't refer to them as "bashers". They are entitled to their opinions.

Again, if the OP is happy with the trade and the Taurus guns meet his needs better, then he can walk away from the trade happy.

Anyway, here is my questional trade...I once traded a Winchester M1 Carbine, and a Chinese Paratrooper SKS with 20rd mag for a WWII era Springfield M1 Garand. I could have easily sold the Winchester carbine for the price of the Garand, but I wanted the Garand there and then, so I threw in the SKS, and left with the Garand. Definitely not the wisest trade I ever made, but I was happy with it, and besides I had another, Rockola carbine, that quickly made friends with the Springfield.

Adamantium
September 18, 2011, 04:49 PM
Common sense would be to not buy 7 $300 guns. My single Taurus works fine BTW.

The saddest thing about this thread is people are getting to the point of being rude, to a fairly new poster, because he traded one mass produced gun he didn't need for two mass produced guns he did. All of which are only going up in price relative to inflation. Since when did S&W revolvers become the new Kimber of "high end" guns?

How many people here are getting a sense of satisfaction for making someone feel stupid about a trade that is already done and over with? I can understand the people who come on here and say "that trade isn't one I'd make", but what about "He is probably on another forum having a good laugh" and "Hopefully the other guy took you to dinner and a movie first before he "bleeped" you!".

7jinxed7
September 18, 2011, 04:56 PM
I would have made the trade personally. I had a Pt111 at one time and hated it. So for me it would be a decent trade.

Edit: I correct myself. I miss read the op. No I would have kept the S&W.

Doug S
September 18, 2011, 06:42 PM
Common sense would be to not buy 7 $300 guns. My single Taurus works fine BTW.

Context is everything, and having read several of your responses now, it's plain to see that you are quick to speak without regard to context or commonsense. You evidently missed the point of my last post, and your premise that people who have had issues with Taurus don't recognize value is silly. Nevertheless, Im glad you like your Taurus.

The saddest thing about this thread is people are getting to the point of being rude...How many people here are getting a sense of satisfaction for making someone feel stupid

Most have been civil, and you are one of the few who came off as rude IMO. Yes, there were a couple of others, but you were one of the first.

Mal H
September 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
This has gone on long enough.

Closed.