PDA

View Full Version : Most useless feature/product for pistols

American Eagle
September 17, 2011, 06:26 AM
As if lasers were not enough, now you can have a laser on your sights and a bayonet/razor blade where the regular laser would have gone. Why? What kind of individual thinks up these things? Can there possibly be a more useless product for pistols in the market place?

I guess when you are not poking someone with it, you can always shave yourself with your gun? :confused: It may even serve as a makeshift stake knife from the looks of that serrated edge.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/9e0f9caf.jpg

Opinated
September 17, 2011, 06:35 AM
What about a self-winding sundial that glows in the dark?

psyfly
September 17, 2011, 06:42 AM
Surely, you jest.

That thing must be photo-shopped.

It has a gut-hook, for goodness sake, how often are you attacked by a Moose?

And, there's no point to it (more ways than one).

However, if it's for real, then you've set the bar pretty high (if that's the right word) for useless.

sailskidrive
September 17, 2011, 06:42 AM
How about, One of those ball compasses in mineral oil that were popular on Survival knives back in the 80s! They could mount it on the bottom of the mag floor plate. :rolleyes:

American Eagle
September 17, 2011, 06:54 AM
I wish it was photo-shopped, but I am afraid that this is quite real...and can be yours for $50.

http://laserlyte.com/Pistol_Bayonet/PB-4/PB-4.html

sailskidrive
September 17, 2011, 06:56 AM
I just ordered one. Gonna mount it on an old Gen one G17 and use it as a cheese knife at this years office party. :D

RamItOne
September 17, 2011, 06:59 AM
Yup saw one at a lgs yesterday, at least it was on a glock, they're ugly already.....
Let the flaming begin lol. :)

sailskidrive
September 17, 2011, 07:03 AM
From the website:

>> A LaserLyte original, the Pistol Bayonet is ready for any situation—or just looking cool on your favorite gun.

I hope they make an adapter for the DEAGLE.

Micahweeks
September 17, 2011, 07:10 AM
That's pretty ludicrous, for sure. But, to take your question in a much more serious direction, I find threaded barrels pretty useless for the civilian markets. Don't get me wrong! I support anyone's right to have one and the suppressor to go with it. I just can't think of a reason a civilian would need it.

Also, tungsten guide rods. I've tried one before and found it pointless. Same with pistol charging handles.

dahermit
September 17, 2011, 07:12 AM
...It has a gut-hook, for goodness sake, how often are you attacked by a Moose?Or, could it be to cut jammed seat belts? Hummmm? Just be careful that your finger is not on the trigger when you are cutting a seat belt to rescue someone; it could go very bad, very quickly.

Sarge
September 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
Key locks.

Chris_B
September 17, 2011, 07:27 AM
Sarge, you may be right. I have a pistol with a key lock. I don't know if the lock works; I've never used it. Utterly useless

CLC
September 17, 2011, 08:39 AM
Its not a pistol but the Galil has a bottle opener and a wire cutter. I would think the bottle opener is kinda useless :p.

Gats Italian
September 17, 2011, 08:51 AM
The knife is less useless than the G22 it rides on because the blade has a better grip.

American Eagle
September 17, 2011, 09:04 AM
Not only is the bayonet useless, but this video of theirs seems to promote irresponsible gun use. Look at the women opening stuff with the bayonet while their finger is on the trigger of the gun.:eek::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUAXkwADR7o&feature=related

Lurch37
September 17, 2011, 09:25 AM
Key locks.

I'm with Sarge on this one. Thankfully, the type of pistols I've boughten that had them were designed into either the mainspring housing or the hammer and were easily replaced.

C0untZer0
September 17, 2011, 09:39 AM
The tactical bottle opener is not useless.

After you've put down a few hundred zombies, you are going to get thirsty, without the tactical bottle opener, you're gonna have to put down your weapon, fish around in your back back for an opener, or worse yet, climb down off the roof and go inside to rummage through you kitchen drawers...

With the tactical bottle opener, you can open bottles with the same speed that you can change magazines.

Pop open a cool bottle of Moosehead, or Leinenkugles while you're mowing those zombies down, and there won't be a break in the action because you have a tactical bottle opener.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70205&d=1305160188
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70206&d=1305160188

scottl
September 17, 2011, 10:01 AM
Glad to see they at least picked a good pop to open with that opener.Ky's 2nd finest beverage behind bourbon.

FrankOgham
September 17, 2011, 10:04 AM
That's pretty ludicrous, for sure. But, to take your question in a much more serious direction, I find threaded barrels pretty useless for the civilian markets. Don't get me wrong! I support anyone's right to have one and the suppressor to go with it. I just can't think of a reason a civilian would need it.

what about ear protection for a reason :D

FrankOgham
September 17, 2011, 10:11 AM
Not only is the bayonet useless, but this video of theirs seems to promote irresponsible gun use. Look at the women opening stuff with the bayonet while their finger is on the trigger of the gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUAXk...eature=related

LMFAO.... i imagine the look of people if i use that gun/knife combo to open a letter in front of them hahaha

it would go something like this > :confused: :eek:

voyager4520
September 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
Warnings printed on guns, key-lock mechanisms on guns.

FDT
September 17, 2011, 10:22 AM
They serve a great purpose.....they are there as a constant reminder not to just jam your Glock down the front of your pants as a means of concealed carry.

Ridge_Runner_5
September 17, 2011, 10:48 AM
I like the beveled edge. Would make a good flathead screwdriver as well!

Don Glock
September 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/9e0f9caf.jpg

i'd like to use that to guard the mall.

MLeake
September 17, 2011, 11:42 AM
micahweeks, in some European countries, suppressors are required for shooting at ranges. Plugs and cups protect the shooter's ears, but only the shooter's ears. Suppressors protect the ears of neighbors and passers-by.

I could also see a suppressor being useful if I wanted to set up a basement range for personal use. (I live in the country, and have no restrictions.)

dlb435
September 17, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'll put in my two cent: night sights
If it's to dark to see your own gun, why would you think you could see the target?
I had some night sights years ago and found them useless.
I do have a laser sight on one of my guns but only because it's almost imposible to sight the darn thing. (it's an AK74 pistol) I'd rather have a folding stock for it but the paper work and tax stamps are just too much of a pain to get.

So far, my nod to the most usless item has to be the bottle opener.
Yeh, let's all drink and shoot!

BlackJackID
September 17, 2011, 12:54 PM
There is only one thing I can think of that is more useless than Pistol Bayonets and tactical bottle openers.....And its sometimes included in the owners manual...

Directions in French......

MLeake
September 17, 2011, 02:30 PM
Night sights reason for being isn't full dark, it's low light.

They are much easier to pick up than are regular sights in dim/low light conditions, even though you can still see and identify your target.

Full dark, you need illumination or night vision.

Walt Sherrill
September 17, 2011, 02:41 PM
CZ-USA offered a bayonet sort of like the Glock device for their guns with rails. They sold a bunch of them to guys who just had to have one. It WAS a real conversation piece! Somebody in marketing had a brainstorm, and probably got a raise.... l

(I can't think of how buyer would think he or she could use a pistol-mounted bayonet, as holding it in your hand would be much more practical and give you much better control of the blade.)

Ridge_Runner_5
September 17, 2011, 04:23 PM
CZ-USA offered a bayonet sort of like the Glock device for their guns with rails. They sold a bunch of them to guys who just had to have one. It WAS a real conversation piece! Somebody in marketing had a brainstorm, and probably got a raise.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7370/czbayonet.jpg

Crosshair
September 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
Loaded chamber indicators. Nobody in their right mind is gonna rely on them to determine if there is one in the chamber or not.

kristop64089
September 17, 2011, 05:20 PM
And I thought you were going to say:
- Loaded chamber indicators
- Legal warnings
- External safeties
- Taurus ;)

I guess a guy can be wrong every once and a while

postmaster
September 17, 2011, 06:04 PM
Looks like a great way to have accidental discharge!! Those morons in the video had their finger inside the trigger guard. What a stupid way to mess up a Glock!! Put it on a Lorcin.

K_Mac
September 17, 2011, 06:07 PM
Do they sell a holster to carry your pistol of choice with this ...er...thing attached or do you slip it on when your spidey sense starts to tingle?

graysmoke
September 17, 2011, 06:09 PM
Pistol Bayonet is probably the top of the list. And the only thing on that list.

Micahweeks
September 17, 2011, 06:56 PM
micahweeks, in some European countries, suppressors are required for shooting at ranges. Plugs and cups protect the shooter's ears, but only the shooter's ears. Suppressors protect the ears of neighbors and passers-by.

I could also see a suppressor being useful if I wanted to set up a basement range for personal use. (I live in the country, and have no restrictions.)

In that case, I stand corrected. :)

Ridge_Runner_5
September 17, 2011, 08:56 PM
How about having "Please read the manual before use" Engraved/stamped into the slide?

Kaiser T
September 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
A sensible thread!

bill_munny
September 17, 2011, 10:20 PM
I know this is a handgun thread but this has to be on here. Just in case you get the crap scared out of you in combat

9mm
September 17, 2011, 10:30 PM
I think the bottle opener is great, if you are out shooting in the woods or desert or something... You brought some root beer(glass bottles) or other glass bottle drink you can open it.

The knife on the Glock and the TP roll on the AK gets my vote for the worthless items.

C0untZer0
September 17, 2011, 10:41 PM
Loaded chamber indicators aren't useless...

I think the consensus is never use them to confirm a pistol is unloaded, but they can be a good alternative to pushing back the slide to confirm a round is in the chamber if you have a doubt...

C0untZer0
September 17, 2011, 10:43 PM
+1 on warnings engraved on pistols... totally useless and they destroy the asthetics of the firearm.

I think it makes more sense to engrave the warnings on the bullets ;)

SHNOMIDO
September 18, 2011, 12:07 AM
im gonna vote loaded chamber indicators, for one reason only

They dont do a damned thing.

Short of a pistol like the ruger sr9, where it ACTUALLY WORKS, they are a legal obligation to some guy in California with his underwear in a twist.

Dont get me wrong, its a good idea, and i like the idea. but every single gun ive ever laid hands on, or fired, it didnt have any perceivable difference if there was a round loaded or not. its like a little joke, or something no one talks about because they dont want that Californian legislator to get busy again. 99/100 they just plain dont work well enough.

DBLAction454
September 18, 2011, 12:22 AM
probably started as two guys sitting around with beer saying "what could we invent that would be cheap as hell to make and that alot of people would buy?"

Bingo!!!

im sure its a mall cop favorite!

shootniron
September 18, 2011, 01:03 AM
The most useless feature on a handgun for me would be the rail. I have no use for it...

BlueTrain
September 18, 2011, 06:58 AM
I understand the reason for including a bottle opener on a rifle is so soldiers won't try opening a bottle with the lips of a magazine. I don't know where he heard it but the one and only time my son went to a gun show with me, which was before he enlisted in the army, the one thing he wanted to see was the bottle opener on a rifle. Come to think of it, when was the last time you used a bottle opener? Corkscrew, yes, but not a bottle opener.

There was a time when pistol-bayonets had their supporters but like pistols with detachable shoulder stocks, they never really took off and having owned a Mauser C-96 with a shoulder stock, I can understand why.

I've been trying hard to think of something useless on a pistol but although there are things I don't use, like a hooked trigger guard (spoils the lines, you know) but otherwise, I've never had anything that got in the way or ruined the function. Mind you, there are lots of pistols that seem to be missing something that others thought essential but standards change. At one time and in some places, apparently, it was not thought essential to have a hammer drop/decocking feature on a double action pistol. But then, I imagine some of you may think double action is useless. On the other hand, at least one manufacturer states that for a close-in defensive pistol, sights are useless.

Pilot
September 18, 2011, 07:19 AM
Forward slide serrations
Warning labels
Mag disconnects
Loaded Chamber Indicators on .22's
Internal locking mechanisms
Rails
Ambi controls (If you're a lefty, buy something that can be switched over, but don't put needless crap on my gun)
Night Sites

khegglie
September 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
when the radioactive zombie come you will wish you had brought that bayonet:D

PSP
September 18, 2011, 09:27 AM
Most useless feature/product for pistols

Has to be key locks. Did any gun owner anywhere at anytime request this as a feature or was it foisted upon the gun industry by lawyers and liberals? Do any gun owners actually use the lock?

kristop64089
September 18, 2011, 09:27 AM
Loaded Chamber indicators need to be nothing more than what Smith or Glock uses.
Smith uses a small "cutout" in the barrel so you can visually inspect.
With Glock, the extractor SLIGHTLY protrudes, to give a tactile feel.

Not Ruger, nope Ruger puts a flipping ramp on top of the receiver. It has to be the ugliest feature I have ever seen. Ruger is doing there best to make sure they can't be sued, by the lowest common denominator.

gyvel
September 18, 2011, 09:32 AM
This knife-on-the-pistols thing has been posted before. Actually, there is historical precedent for it. The U.S. Navy Elgin Cutlass Pistol was issued ca. 1838 for shipboard use.

I can think of some instances were a knife attached to a pistol might come in handy, but certainly not for the average Joe Blow in this country.

K_Mac
September 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
Not Ruger, nope Ruger puts a flipping ramp on top of the receiver. It has to be the ugliest feature I have ever seen. Ruger is doing there best to make sure they can't be sued, by the lowest common denominator.

One man's thrash is another man's treasure. The loaded chamber indicator on my SR9c does not bother me at all. In fact it works with 100% reliability. I don't care that it was a reaction to idiots who will sue at the drop of a hat, or a cup, or for no excuse at all. I think it is an attempt by an American company to meet the needs of the market place. Based on the success of the new Ruger pistols many feel the same way. I suppose we all could represent the "lowest common denominator." It also could be that many of us just don't share your opinion. In any case while it may be ugly and offensive to some, it does exactly what it was designed to do, giving it value or "worth" in my not so humble opinion.

Carry_24/7
September 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised to see someone believe that night sights are useless. I've done "low light" shooting/plinking and found them absolutely invaluable.

I would say the only feature on guns I don't want or need would be a laser.

MagnumWill
September 18, 2011, 10:28 PM
I felt the same way about a laser initially, but once my wife looked at a Sig P238TL, that little red dot has grown on me. It's really not useful for shooting groups, but it's use as a persuasion device is undeniable- also when you are lacking a flashlight in the dark, it gives you a great idea of the barrel direction without seeing the gun itself.

...and it's a great cat toy. When the gun is DISASSEMBLED! Don't look at me like that! :p :rolleyes:

raftman
September 18, 2011, 10:52 PM
Ambi controls (If you're a lefty, buy something that can be switched over, but don't put needless crap on my gun)

Don't like ambi controls? Don't buy a gun that has them; there's plenty of options.

Skans
September 19, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'll toss these out to consider:

1. Pistol Lanyard
2. Glock Butt-Plug.
3. Scoped Pistols (unless used for pistol hunting....which I never could understand either)
4. Engraving
5. Gold, titanium, and nickle plating
6. 1911 GRIP SAFETY
7. Forward grips on any semi-auto rifle (oops, sorry, op said "pistol":o).
8. Autosear for Glock (I know it's a regulated item.....but it's still renders the gun essentially useless.)

Skadoosh
September 19, 2011, 08:20 AM
I have a prticular disdain for forward slide serrations.

gyvel
September 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
1. Pistol Lanyard
2. Glock Butt-Plug.
3. Scoped Pistols (unless used for pistol hunting....which I never could understand either)
4. Engraving
5. Gold, titanium, and nickle plating
6. 1911 GRIP SAFETY
7. Forward grips on any semi-auto rifle (oops, sorry, op said "pistol").
8. Autosear for Glock (I know it's a regulated item.....but it's still renders the gun essentially useless.)

1. Disagree: Useful in some situations.
2. Agreed:
3. Agreed
4. Agreed: Vanity item for people with more money than taste
5. Agreed: Ditto for gold and titanium. Nickel has some use in corrosion prevention.
6. Disagree.
7. Agreed.
8. Agreed: Expensive toy for machine gun shoots. Fun to watch, though.

K_Mac
September 19, 2011, 01:20 PM
That is funny. The "disguised" weapons are hilarious. The lack of a sense of humor by the OP is priceless. Whether it is real or not makes no difference. It could be.:eek: Great post!:D

dabigguns357
September 19, 2011, 03:04 PM
lasers,flashlights,knives,rails,clip draw holsters all could go away.

i don't see a need in any of these trinkets or fads.I like smooth lines and for petes sake keep it pure.

I saw a guy come in to work the other night with a Glock decked out with a laser/flashlight attached and a God awful plastic holster to match.All i kept thinking is really do you need all that and a bag of chips too.:confused:

BlueTrain
September 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
Really, there isn't anything that is useless, merely things you don't like. Some people say there is no use for high capacity magazines.

Glockfan36
September 19, 2011, 05:01 PM
Here's mine: CCW Badges! These are for cop wanna-bes, but can't be!
I do, however put lasers on all my carry weapons: Makes it a whole lot easier to see my target that way! And yeah I know, I'm off-topic, but that's my
rant for the day!

vyse.04
September 19, 2011, 05:51 PM
That Glock in a cup is priceless.

sils79
September 19, 2011, 06:03 PM
They have a whole line of pistol-knives here (http://laserlyte.com/Pistol_Bayonet/Landing_Page/index.html), I especially the NAA model.

Geezerbiker
September 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
Magazine safeties. What if you need to shoot that round in the chamber while changing mags? Also it screws up the trigger pull.

Tony

Ridge_Runner_5
September 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
lasers,flashlights,knives,rails,clip draw holsters all could go away.

i don't see a need in any of these trinkets or fads.I like smooth lines and for petes sake keep it pure.

My night stand gun:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/Shooting/Dsc_0001.jpg

I'd prefer to know exactly what I might be shooting at. When I carry it, the light comes off.

Willie Lowman
September 19, 2011, 08:24 PM
Just as stupid only smaller!

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/images/2010-6/201062142043-naa-bayonet_m.jpg

Joe the Redneck
September 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
I'll second the Glock grip hole plug.

How to spend 9 bucks on a penny's worth of plastic that does nothing.

Brian Pfleuger
September 19, 2011, 08:44 PM
I'll second the Glock grip hole plug.

How to spend 9 bucks on a penny's worth of plastic that does nothing.

Hm, I think the plug is useful but I don't understand why it wouldn't be factory installed. It was my first aftermarket part, along with grip extensions... but they're only $6.95. ;)

If I had to pick a useless accessory, it would be the Glock "Armorer's Tool".... I mean, you can take the whole gun apart COMPLETELY in like 5 minutes with Bic pen.

"Armorer's Tool"? Seriously.

Joe the Redneck
September 19, 2011, 08:48 PM
What exactly does it do? And do you need to do what ever it is that it does do? :)

It plugs a hole that does not cause any trouble if it isn't plugged.

Seven High
September 19, 2011, 08:49 PM
IMHO The magazine disconnect feature is useless.

4V50 Gary
September 19, 2011, 08:52 PM
The book length safety warnings on guns. I can see where the lawyers recommended it, but darn I hate them. Second place goes to CCW badges. Why bother? It just screams wannabe.

As for night sights, I like them. Having to clear a dark place makes them very useful. It beats painting White-Out on the front sight blade like we used to in the '80s.

Brian Pfleuger
September 19, 2011, 08:54 PM
What exactly does it do? And do you need to do what ever it is that it does do? :)

It plugs a hole that does not cause any trouble if it isn't plugged.

It's not necessary, but I wouldn't call it useless. Personally, I think it looks like it belongs there and the gun looks like parts are missing without it. Plus, it does get quite dirty in there without the plug, if you carry the gun concealed.
That dirt certainly doesn't hurt anything but it wrecks havoc with my OCD. ;)

Edward429451
September 19, 2011, 09:27 PM
There's a market for that crap to the gamers who are for the most part still spending mom & dads money.

Any rail on any handgun is useless.

It may be true that one does not hear the shots big game hunting but it just isn't so when small game hunting, so suppressors are made for civilian hunters imo.

Skans
September 20, 2011, 08:10 AM
If a grip safety has any use whatsoever on a 1911, then why doesn't someone make an aftermarket grip safety for Browning Hi-Powers?

GRIP SAFETY = GUN LOCK. Just something the government once stupidly required, complicating the action on an already well designed gun. Funny how 1911 folks cling to their grip safeties, but will be the first to criticize chamber indicators and internal gun locks.:D

Mike Irwin
September 20, 2011, 08:20 AM
"Any rail on any handgun is useless."

But where would I hang my doppler radar?

imthegrumpyone
September 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
Think I'm going to puke, :(

batmann
September 20, 2011, 09:16 PM
Sorry, but Ridge Runner has the same thoughts as I do. I keep a Streamlight TLR-3 on my Glock22 except when I carry it. Most shootings are in low light situations and it never hurts to see your target. Hand held flashlights are somewhat clumsy and I like the fact I have a free hand. I personally think the 'bling' (Gold, Pink etc} look is a total waste.