PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ 9mm Reivew

Sturmgewehre
September 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
I recently picked up a Walther PPQ to try out. I'm tempted by new products and can be somewhat impulsive when I buy things like handguns. I rarely change my carry gun mind you, I just like to play with the latest and greatest.

I picked up a Walther PPQ as I felt it was an interesting pistol. I liked the feel of the pistol and I thought it was a handsome firearm.

Here's a full review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzvALwhUbjQ

Questions and comments are welcome.

Uncle Malice
September 16, 2011, 07:17 PM
Good video.

I've been wanting to check one out. Looks like I need to get my hands on one and it'll probably come home with me.

Naterstein
September 16, 2011, 07:20 PM
Great review, thanks for posting.

Dashunde
September 16, 2011, 07:39 PM
Nice.
Now I have another contender for what I figured was shoe-in purchase of a G23.

Sturmgewehre
September 16, 2011, 08:24 PM
Choices are a good thing. :)

ScotchMan
September 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
Really wanting them to release a PPQ compact

ShaulWolf
September 16, 2011, 10:46 PM
That is an excellent review. I've been looking at the M&P series for a possible replacement to my S&W 586 and for something that I could actually carry as a CCW. Now I've got one more gun to look at.

Duke City Six
September 17, 2011, 09:13 PM
Nice shooting and good review. I've enjoyed a couple of your others, too.

kristop64089
September 17, 2011, 09:30 PM
MY DSL speed is on the blink right now so I haven't watched the video in it's entirety.
With that said, that is an UGLY gun. Normally looks don't concern me (I'm a Glock fan boy) but that think is just to "busy". Only thing uglier would be an XD.

I'll try and watch the video to see if it's a "function over form" type gun.

Sturmgewehre
September 17, 2011, 11:28 PM
kristop64089,

It's funny how people see things differently. I carry a G19 as my daily carry, but for many years when the Glocks first came out I thought they were the ugliest, cheapest looking hunks of junk made. Now I find them to be great looking handguns. Simple, purposeful, clean.

I think the Walther is a nice looking pistol.

Pilot
September 18, 2011, 07:15 AM
I don't have any polymer framed 9MM's, but this one may change that. It is between the PPQ, and the CZ P-07.

Nice review. Thanks.

Uncle Malice
September 18, 2011, 07:50 AM
I think the Walther is a nice looking pistol.

I had the same impressions. It reminds me a lot of the HK P30, which I thought everyone found attractive - Spider-Man grips and all! :D

Walt Sherrill
September 18, 2011, 07:52 AM
Guns & Ammo did a review this month. Sounds like an interesting gun, and the gun mag evaluation demonstrated better-than-typical accuracy. The article talked about how the gun was made, and how they fitted the barrels. Interesting article.

I've already got several very nice 9mms, and probably won't get another -- but this one is tempting.

Sturmgewehre
September 18, 2011, 07:54 AM
I haven't read that article, Walt. But they're confirmation of the PPQ's accuracy is encouraging. I couldn't believe how well the pistol shoots, especially for a gun I have relatively so little experience with.

Sgt Pepper
September 18, 2011, 09:53 AM
Very nice review. Thanks.

kristop64089
September 18, 2011, 10:15 AM
OK, watched the video in it's entirety, good review!

I'll have to agree with the Mag release. I sold my first PPS, because of it. It took some practice with my P22. but I have trained my muscle memory to hit it. Enough so, that I picked up another PPS.

I'd be curious to see what models of this will be available. I like the Mid size, but I'd really prefer a "longslide" if I were to buy one. Especially as accurate as that gun appears to be.

AS far as looks, I suppose it'll grow on me. Glocks did.

cmdc
September 18, 2011, 10:47 AM
I recently purchased a PPQ, and it is a fantastic pistol. For me it is amazingly accurate and has perfect ergonomics. I just ordered one in .40S&W as well, just to see how it compares to the 9mm, but haven't picked it up yet. I also have a P99 in 9mm. Both pistols make all of my other ones(Glocks, HKs, XDs, etc.) feel clunky by comparison.

hivoltagefx4
September 18, 2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks so much, now I have to go spend more money that I don't have! :D:D I already own a P99 and a PPS in .40. I love Walther guns. Some of the nicer guns IMHO.

eviltravis
September 18, 2011, 12:16 PM
Great video review. I was looking at the ppq at my local gun store. Nice looking rig. I was wondering if the P99 magazines will function in the PPQ?

balance
September 18, 2011, 02:46 PM
The newer P99 mags will work in both, but not the older ones. The front of the PPQ mags are cut shorter on the front face of the mag than the older P99 mags, and using older P99 mags in a PPQ will cause the feed ramp to hit the front of the magazine. I don't know when Walther made the switch with the mags with the shorter cut, but I bought four P99 mags back around 2007, and they are not designed to work in the PPQ.

Check out the pictures in post#23 in this thread: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/16356-ppq-magazine-question-3.html

That being said, some people reported that they shot rounds through their PPQ using older P99 mags before they knew there was any difference, and that they did not experience any failures, so they will probably work in an emergency, but prolonged use will probably either damage the magazine or the feed ramp of the barrel. The manual on the PPQ states that you should not use P99 mags in a PPQ.

But, the mags for a MR Fast Action pistol, which is a licensed copy of the P99 AS, will work in a PPQ, as they have the same cut profile of a PPQ mag, and they are both cheaper, and available at the moment.

9mm: http://magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=MAGFA915

.40cal: http://magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=MAGFA4011

Edit: I should also point out that the barrels of both the PPQ and the P99 are interchangeable. So, if you put a P99 barrel in a PPQ, any mags will work, as the feed ramp of the P99 barrels will not impact the front face of the older P99 mags.

balance
September 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
Sturmgewehre, very nice review.

I've owned my PPQ for a few months now, and I am liking it a lot. If you check on the Walther forum, you will see many reports of people shooting better with their PPQ on their first time out, that pistols they were using for a while. I can't think of another pistol that combines a better trigger with a better grip, and I believe that this is the reason these pistols are easy to shoot for so many people.

Two things I would like to point out though. You said that the trigger reach was too short for you with the medium backstrap that came with the pistol, did you try the large backstrap? Also, in the review, you stated that the PPQ is very different than the P99. I have to disagree with this. If you take apart a PPQ next to a P99 AS, you will see that the insides are very similar. The way I see it, the PPQ is just a P99 with a different grip and trigger.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462681

Fishbed77
September 18, 2011, 08:07 PM
Also, in the review, you stated that the PPQ is very different than the P99. I have to disagree with this. If you take apart a PPQ next to a P99 AS, you will see that the insides are very similar. The way I see it, the PPQ is just a P99 with a different grip and trigger.

Yep - the PPQ is just a P99 with a different trigger option and minor aesthetic changes. Two very similar guns, the P99 RAD and P99Q (not to be confused with the P99QA) have been sold in Europe for a number of years.