PDA

View Full Version : GSG 1911 FTF is it an ammo issue?

Kimio
September 16, 2011, 02:35 PM
I recently picked up a GSG 1911 and got it out to the range for the first time today.

It keeps FTF on the second, third or fourth round. Sometimes all three times sometimes only on the second and third. This also only happens on a full 10 round magazine. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I suspect it may be an ammo problem.

I'm currently using Winchester Xpert HV. It doesn't look like the ammo has a copper jacket over the round so I'm thinking it's just a normal lead nosed round. I think I read somewhere that the GSG needs hotter 22 rounds such as the HV rounds, but also need them to be jacketed as well.

Has anyone had experiences like this?

sigcurious
September 16, 2011, 02:42 PM
Not sure but that sounds more like the magazine, maybe try only loading 6 rounds of the ammo you have since it always jams on the first few rounds. But if it is the ammo, I would try cci minimags, although admittedly I've become a fanboy of theirs recently and there are plenty of other brands that would work also I imagine.

Kimio
September 16, 2011, 04:11 PM
Ok after about 200 rounds or however many 2 dozen magazines later, it seems to be very consistent with the second round failing to feed. It didn't seem to matter how many rounds were in the magazine, 4, 8 or all 10 it would FTF at random. Sometimes it would function flawlessly with 10 rounds most of the time if I loaded 8 rounds it would be fine, other times it would FTF 3 or 4 rounds in a row.

The ammunition is indeed lead as I can take a knife to it and easily scrape away at it. I noticed that when chambering the rounds, it seems to be a little gritty, as if there is some resistance to the round when it chambers and hits the feed ramp.

Between all this I had at least 3 stove pipes as well.

I'll try some different ammunition and see if this solves the issue, but this is just mildly annoying. Perhaps my GSG doesn't like Winchest Xpert HV ammunition, I'll have to see later.

Vortexyz
September 16, 2011, 04:13 PM
So far the only ammo I have run through mine is CCI mini-mag. I have had no problems with it. You may want to give it a try.
Hope it works out.

DukeNukem
September 16, 2011, 08:13 PM
After you load your magazine, make sure that top round is sitting correctly. With my magazines if the nose of that first round isn't sitting up as much as it should, I get a failure to feed on the second round.

salvadore
September 16, 2011, 09:11 PM
Here's what I did to keep mine running Kimio. Took it apart, cleaned it as well as I could, q-tipped it to death and lubed it with a very thin lube. Ballistol the first time and that stuff that comes in the yellow can the next.

I'm thinking the next time it starts acting up I'll strip it and spray with brake cleaner, relube and start again. I really like mine.

OcSpeed
September 16, 2011, 09:20 PM
stovepipes also? I would call customer service and see what they have to say.

Closure
September 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
I had a lot of FTF issues and stovepipes with a fully loaded magazine on my GSG with the ammo (Winchester 333 bulk), so I tried a few different types before I was going to give them a call.

So far, it does not like the following; having FTF on full mags or stovepipes at random:

- Winchester anything (FTF and stovepipes)
The ammo would fail to feed, hitting the bottom of the barrel as it fed and jamming the slide open; flattening the bullet and leaving lead shavings everywhere.

- Federal Lightning (FTF only)
- Remington Golden Bullet (FTF only)

To be fair on the FTFs, in regards to DukeNukem's post, I didn't exactly keep mind to make sure the first round in the magazine was sitting up as much as it should have been.

The ammo that it really likes, and I've actually yet to have a stovepipe or an FTF with:

- American Eagle high velocity (the ammo I have is lead and not plated)
- CCI Stingers

I stick with American Eagle high velocity at $17 for 500 rounds, knowing that it feeds and fires perfectly in my GSG

Hope that helps!

Kimio
September 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone, I just picked up 400 rounds of CCI Mini Mag, going to see how it fairs tomorrow morning, if all goes well, I'll probably start ordering it in bulk quantity from now on. Wish me luck, I really would rather not have to make a call to ATI and have to send the pistol back, so hopefully it's just an ammunition problem.

Kimio
September 20, 2011, 06:12 PM
Reporting on the new ammo, I ran some CCI Mini Mags and a little bit of the remington stuff (Can't remember off the top of my head what kind, but it was the standard velocity stuff that you can get at Big 5 or something) and my GSG ate through them just fine. It would certainly seem that mine did not like the winchester stuff.

So, I'll probably be tossing down 60 some bucks sometime soon to get a thousand rounds or so. Thanks everyone for all the help thus far, I'm glad it turned out to be an ammo issue rather than something that was wrong with the gun.