PDA

View Full Version : How's the Ruger SR9c?

SRT2
September 16, 2011, 01:26 AM
How's the Ruger SR9c? Watched a youtube by hickok45 and it
looked good. Anybody have one?

predecessor
September 16, 2011, 01:40 AM
For the price tag, it's a nice little gun. But for me, there are many other pistols in it's class that I prefer.

Adamantium
September 16, 2011, 01:41 AM
I got one for CCW and like it alot. I'm not recommending it over the other Glock, S&W or Springfield sub-compact double stack 9mm's though because I've got no experience with them. But it seems doubtful I'll ever go out of my way to hold one because I am very happy with the SR9c.

I will say I do like the grip extender for the 17 round magazine. It goes on the Magazine so there is nothing to install/uninstall and it makes it compatible with SR9 magazines (basically there is no dedicated 17 round magazine for the SR9c, it just uses its bigger brother).

Also comparing it to my wife Taurus Slim 9mm, the size difference is very small, but the grip fits the hand much better.

I have also been very impressed with the sights, not only are they well sized, but they are both fully adjustable and have nothing on the rear sight to catch on clothing beyond what fixed sights have.

Hope it helps.

BigBrute
September 16, 2011, 01:57 AM
They are supposed to be very good overall. I know they feel good in the hand and have a nice trigger. There have been reports of peening issues, at least from some users, but I believe those problems have been dealt with in more recent models. Otherwise it's a good gun, should be very reliable, and has a pretty fair price tag from what I've seen

AZAK
September 16, 2011, 02:23 AM
Look here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462449

LordTio3
September 16, 2011, 11:36 AM
A buddy of mine just bought one at the Indy 1500 (his first pistol ever). We went to the range together and he let me shoot it. I bullzeyed a quarter-sized target at 7 yards my first three rounds. It's an accurate little gun. We've since decided that, based on the accuracy and availability of larger capacity magazines for the compact version, there is really no reason to ever own an SR9 in full-size, unless you really really really want one.

There are only 2 things I don't like about the SR9c. When I insert a full-sized magazine with the grip block, I sometimes pinch the holy-cow out of my hand... which is a training issue. It wouldn't happen if I did 100 mag changes and taught myself to avoid it.

And the second thing is just a cosmetic gripe. The Angry Mohawk (aka the dorsal loaded-chamber indicator).
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-SR9C/DSC09940.JPG
When the weapon is ready to fire, it just looks angry and scruffs up it's neck hair like a feral dog. Looks a little goofy to me, but to each his own.

~LT

SRT2
September 16, 2011, 01:20 PM
I held one at the gun shop this morning. It feels very good in hand
with the standard mag ( I have small hands)...didn't try it with the
extended mag. Has a solid feel. trigger felt good dry firing....and the
price was good ($439) NIB.

I am considering this or a CZ P01 but I can't find a P01 anywhere to
take a look at. The CZ gets very good reviews. The P01 runs about
$125 more than the Ruger.

ESI Agent
September 16, 2011, 05:42 PM
Im carring my SR9c as I type.It has proven it self to be a durable/reliable as well as very accurate firearm. :cool:

jimbob86
September 16, 2011, 05:59 PM
Brother has one. Nicest trigger on any $400 handgun I've ever fired.

Lateck
September 17, 2011, 10:34 AM
Another Happy SR9c owner here, too! :D

The SR9c is my best shooting gun... and she carries quite well.

I recommend it to anyone with medium to small hands..

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x465/Lateck2/th_SR9c1.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x465/Lateck2/?action=view&current=SR9c1.jpg)

Lateck,

Rogervzv
September 17, 2011, 11:41 AM
The SR9c is widely said to have the best trigger of any Stryker 9mm. It is next on my list. I like everything about the SR9c.

treg
September 17, 2011, 12:08 PM
I think I read somewhere on the internet about someone who didn't like theirs.

SRT2
September 17, 2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah, i read that too.

Venom1956
September 17, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'll have to try the trigger on an SR9c next time i see one. Personally I love my SR9 bought it right when it came out. But the trigger on mine is terrible. :( makes me sad.

BOBA FETT
September 17, 2011, 04:42 PM
i have one the black version...whenever i am at the range people always come over to ask what it is and if they can see it...

K_Mac
September 17, 2011, 05:15 PM
I think it is a great pistol. I shoot it well (for me:))and it eats everything from cheap hardball to hot hollow points. It is exactly what I was looking for. FWIW I don't mind the loaded chamber indicator, and the external thumb safety adds to my peace of mind when I carry it. These features are deal breakers for some though. The 17 rnd mag with the slip-on grip extension is a nice extra. I have the evil black version. I like it!:cool:

stickhauler
September 18, 2011, 12:38 AM
The original SR 9 had a horrible trigger. When Ruger decided to make the SR 9-C, they remedied that issue, and any SR 9 made since then also has the same trigger system as the SR 9-C.

It's a great small 9mm pistol, and since the day I bought mine, it has been my usual carry gun, replacing either an XD-9 or a Glock 22.

excelerater
September 18, 2011, 06:19 AM
I own both the c and the fs SR9 and I find them to be
excellent shooters and as accurate as anything I own

Redbeardsong
September 18, 2011, 07:01 AM
I've been carrying mine for over a year and have over 2000 trouble-free rounds through it. It's got an outstanding trigger and is accurate, fun to shoot, and conceals wonderfully. I haven't found a good reason to replace it.

mitchntx
September 18, 2011, 11:06 AM
Maybe I haven't found the "sweet-spot" yet, but I am not happy with the "tail" that sticks it. It digs into seats and chairs.

I keep rotating from the 2 to 4 position. I've canted it, rotating from vertical to 20* or so.

I've thought about removing it. I really like this weapon. It's light, accurate and reliable.

I need a little help getting it adjusted.

Redbeardsong
September 18, 2011, 11:47 AM
Are you talking about the back of the slide/grip area? You might try a higher or lower ride holster. Sometimes a 1/4inch adjustment makes the difference in holster position.

jimbob86
September 18, 2011, 12:06 PM
I think I read somewhere on the internet about someone who didn't like theirs.

Send them my way, and I will take it off their hands for $300!

mitchntx
September 18, 2011, 02:45 PM
Are you talking about the back of the slide/grip area? You might try a higher or lower ride holster. Sometimes a 1/4inch adjustment makes the difference in holster position.

Its the tail on the front side of the grip. Its fine while standing, just while sitting.

I'm using a hybrid IWB ...

http://www.kholster.com/images/1911CR-R.jpg

If you can visualize the hanger on the left curving around my hip/kidney area, exposing that tail on the grip.

I've tried running the edge of the kydex at my waistband to about a 1/4" up.

treefarmernc
September 18, 2011, 03:06 PM
Had mine several months now for CCW and I love it. It is a natural pointer for me and very accurate. I would recommend. http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj142/treefarmernc/Sr9cholster028.jpg

Venom1956
September 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
The original SR 9 had a horrible trigger. When Ruger decided to make the SR 9-C, they remedied that issue, and any SR 9 made since then also has the same trigger system as the SR 9-C.

thats awesome... :rolleyes: I was planning on dropping in a ghost trigger bar into it but now i'm gonna have to check out the SR9c trigger. My SR9 might have to get mailed to Ruger... wonder if they can mill me an SR9 slide with that badass 25th million serration on a blackened stainless one but have the phoenix mirrored stainless? I wish the black stainless was out when i bought mine.

checkmyswag
September 18, 2011, 04:27 PM
TreefarmerNC

How does that carry?

Looks like a really nice holster and could see that being very nice for CC.

Also...how are the follow up shots, time to get back on target with the Ruger SR9C?

LilHog
September 18, 2011, 07:36 PM
I shot one for the first time today and I must say I am very impressed with it. I like everything about it, the trigger, the recoil, the accuracy. I liked it so much I went out and bought one myself.

AZAK
September 19, 2011, 03:11 AM
but have the phoenix mirrored

It is an eagle.

AZAK
September 19, 2011, 03:22 AM
I wish the black stainless was out when i bought mine.

Not out according to Ruger's website: Alloy Steel Nitridox Pro Black.

K_Mac
September 19, 2011, 10:00 AM
Also...how are the follow up shots, time to get back on target with the Ruger SR9C?

I think the spring is a little heavier than some, making the recoil a bit softer IMO. Whether that is reason, or it fits me better, or I've just spent more time doing it, I shoot rapid fire with it with better accuracy than anything I've ever shot.

I wish the black stainless was out when i bought mine.

There was much discussion about the black version being stainless when it first came out. As AZAK said it is not.

jimbob86
September 19, 2011, 10:30 AM
how are the follow up shots, time to get back on target with the Ruger SR9C

Very fast- while it IS a polymer framed gun, it IS a Ruger: Metal slide and barrel are not dainty..... 23.4 oz empty, compared to 19.5 for a Glock 26.

The web of your shooting hand is way up there (close to the bore axis), too, like on a 1911, which helps.

peacefulgary
September 19, 2011, 01:24 PM
It's currently my favorite concealed carry pistol, replacing my Glock 26 for now...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM7193.jpg

excelerater
September 19, 2011, 07:35 PM
looking today at both my SRs side by side I wish they had added serrations tothe front of the slide on the fullsize

Venom1956
September 20, 2011, 11:23 PM
here was much discussion about the black version being stainless when it first came out. As AZAK said it is not.

Oh well it really isn't the stainless part i want. I'm not huge into two tone guns.

AZAK sorry bout the eagle. I thought it was a Phoenix?

I'm gonna have to look into the SR9c for carry. :D i'll be sad if it shoots better the my regular one.

priler
September 21, 2011, 12:49 AM
question: has anyone here taken calipers to the slide itself on the sr9c?

the ruger info gives 1.27" but that's at the safeties right? what's the true width sans safeties?

...and the weight at 23.40 oz. is with the empty mag,right? or no?

thanks.

AZAK
September 21, 2011, 02:06 AM
Oh well it really isn't the stainless part i want. I'm not huge into two tone guns.
Not my favorite look either, just far more "worry free" carry package; finish wise. And my LCP is the Talo hard chrome edition; again finish durability. (I do have a "factory custom" Enhanced Colt Officer's in a beautiful deep blueing, love the look and carry it often.)

AZAK sorry bout the eagle. I thought it was a Phoenix?
Many folks have this misconception (it does look like a phoenix, flames and all), myself included, until researching the history of Ruger; there is even significance between the red eagle and the black eagle.

I'm gonna have to look into the SR9c for carry. i'll be sad if it shoots better the my regular one.
From what I have read, the SR9c has different trigger part numbers than the SR9, so different trigger feel; don't know if Ruger has changed this in the recent past or not.
question: has anyone here taken calipers to the slide itself on the sr9c?
the ruger info gives 1.27" but that's at the safeties right? what's the true width sans safeties?
From memory: the grip at the widest point is 1.0X inches. Sorry I have company over and can't really justify waking them to open the gun safe in the room that they are sleeping in to get mine out for a measure and a weigh in! (The Colt Delta Elite that I have with me does weigh considerably more!)

Justice06RR
September 21, 2011, 03:57 AM
The SR9c is widely said to have the best trigger of any Stryker 9mm. It is next on my list. I like everything about the SR9c.

I wouldn't say it has the best trigger out of any striker fired 9mm... I'd say the trigger feels "Glock-ish" and looks the part too.

But the SR9c is a sweet shooter. I was seriously considering it at the gunshop. It was either the SR9c or the PX4 Storm compact, but the PX4 felt it had a better trigger (having a DA/SA hammer fired design)

priler
September 21, 2011, 06:30 AM
if you think the px4 f/g has a good trigger,you should try the p99 AS or if you like "glock-ish" triggers,the PPQ,those are awesome,..but anyway..

i'd still love to know the thickness on the slide of the sr9c. i'm gonna look for rentals and bring something to measure with,..and a holster. this sr9c looks like it might serve a niche for me,i dunno.(i prefer TDA,and if walther installed its AS trigger on every pistol out there,i'd be a happy man:D) i know the grip is pretty thin for a double stack compact,i like that,again,for what i need it for. the sr9c looks pretty sharp too and i wouldn't mind buying and dealing with ruger.

Roland Thunder
September 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
I had an SR9 and I could shoot it more accurately than any other gun I own and that includes my Sig 226 that cost about double what an SR9/SR9c cost. Very nice trigger and you can't beat the SR9/9c for the price.

K_Mac
September 21, 2011, 09:13 AM
Priler the 1.27" width is at the safeties. The weight listed does not included ammo.

AZAK
September 21, 2011, 12:38 PM
i'd still love to know the thickness on the slide of the sr9c.
0.98" behind the serrations if my coffee has done its job properly.

Weighs in at 21 ounces with mag removed and one in the pipe.

priler
September 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
thanks AZAK,appreciate that. it's not real thick is it. my p7m8,which is known as one of the thinnest out there,is 1.14" thick but that's at the grip,the slide is even thinner,..but it's also single stack. it's also 28 oz. with the mag removed,about 33.6 oz. fully loaded iirc.