Glockgrabber
September 15, 2011, 10:30 AM
Which do you think is the better weapon? I say Smith 29

docnyt
September 15, 2011, 10:34 AM
Better for what?

Walt Sherrill
September 15, 2011, 10:38 AM
And the Desert Eagle comes in several calibers. Which are you comparing to the S&W Model 29?

EdInk
September 15, 2011, 11:29 AM
Since the OP is comparing it to a S&W 29 (now called 629), the best guess would be .44 magnum.

I would select the S&W 629 revolver over the IMI Desert Eagle. It I'd a more practical, reliable and versatile weapon. The only downside is that it does look as flashy on movie screen. That said, I would pick a Ruger Redhawk or SRH over either of them.

carguychris
September 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
Flexibility: S&W. You can fire .44Mag or .44Spl loaded with any shape bullet at any reasonable power level with fast or slow powder- no cycling problems.

Options: S&W. Available with a variety of finishes (esp. incl. the stainless M629), barrel lengths, barrel profiles, and sights.

Long-term collector value: S&W. Established reputation and collectible value.

Aftermarket support: S&W. Based on a platform that has been available in one form or another since 1904.

Appeal to much of the general public and most experienced shooters: S&W.

Appeal to gamers and contemporary action-movie producers: Deagle. ;)

I know which I like better. :D

Clifford L. Hughes
September 15, 2011, 01:49 PM
Glockgrabber

To compare a Desert Eagle to a Smith & Wesson Model 629 is like comparing apples and oranges. Both taste good depending on who is eating the fruit. A Smith weighs about half of what a Desert Eagle weighs. The Smith is managable for stand up and for one handed shooting for the old school shooters. The Desert Eagle is best fired from a bench. The Smith will digest cast lead bullets; the Desert Eagle's gas system cloggs from shooting cast bullets. The Smith has a classy and pleasing look; the Desert Eagle is homely. The Desetr Eagle's grips are large for most shooters. The Smith's grips are comfortable for most shooters.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

44 AMP
September 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
How many people are going to answer in this thread that actually own and shoot both guns asked about?

I do.

The OP asked which one is a better weapon. That gives me the impression the OP is totally in the dark on BOTH guns. Neither one is a good weapon, from the standpoint of a combat weapon, compared to dozens of other handguns in several different calibers. Forget the Hollywood BS and forget your video game. The only thing those have in common with reality are the names and the image of the handguns.

Both are fine handguns, for sport & target uses, and each has advantages over the other.

The Desert Eagle holds 8 in the mag. It is a huge, heavy handgun (4.25lbs empty!). In stock configuration it does not have adjustable sights. Its trigger is fair. Its grip size is extremely large, and if your hand is smaller than a size 9 glove, you won't get a really good grip. It must be fed jacketed bullets, and like nearly all autos, they must be in a certain power range, or the gun will not cycle properly.

They are very accurate, IF the shooter can handle them well. Felt Recoil is very low for caliber, mostly because the gun weighs so much.

The S&W M29 a classic, the original .44 Magnum. Adjustable sights standard, very good trigger (plus the DA function, if thats important to you). Accurate, more so than most shooters. Not comfortable to shoot with full magnum loads. Painful with original factory stocks. very pleasant with reduced loads. Holds 6.

As to a weapon, if I had to use one for combat, I would choose the Desert Eagle, accepting the huge size and weight (but not happily) for the higher capacity, rapid reload, and faster recovery time between shots over the M29 revolver. If I were choosing one to defend myself with (NOT actively seeking combat with an enemy) I would pick the S&W.

But by choice, I would not choose either one for a combat weapon. I'll leave that to movie actors and video gamers.

Broom Rider
September 15, 2011, 04:34 PM
They're both great weapons but I tend to go with the revolvers. I did have a DE in 44 but didn't keep it.
The revolver is more versatile and can handle a wider range of loads/ammo.
The DE shouldn't be used with lead bullets due to the gas system.
The 29 & 629 are some of my favorite handguns.

Rembrandt
September 15, 2011, 04:48 PM
How many people are going to answer in this thread that actually own and shoot both guns asked about?

Well said 44 AMP......I own both, and enjoy each for different reasons. Both are extremely accurate, a pleasure to shoot, and each are very well engineered and made. Either one is a winner....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/IMG_0167.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/DesertEagle6in.jpg

Jo6pak
September 15, 2011, 04:51 PM

This is the internet, we don't need any actual experience , all we need is Google:D

sigcurious
September 15, 2011, 04:59 PM
Rem, that is a sweet grip on your S&W.

xanth
September 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
I own and shoot both. My DE is too unreliable and finiky on ammo types. The 29 does not care. Both are flasy in their own way.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the smith.

The_Shadow
September 16, 2011, 08:48 PM
My vote would go to the S&W Mod.29, because thats what I have and have killed a deer with it at 180 yards iron sights and handloaded ammo! Heart Shot! :eek:

:D

Hammerhead
September 17, 2011, 10:56 AM
I've owned and shot both in .357. The DE has the cool factor and was very accurate, esp. with a Trijicon Reflex sight on top. Sub 2" groups at 50 yards were the norm with quality ammo.

But, and it's a big but, they get dirty quick and the action get sluggish and within 50-75 rounds I would get failures to lock up. they don't work with any ammo that's less than full pressure (no specials, no reduced recoil ammo), you can't use lead at all, they don't even want you to use jacketed bullets with exposed lead bases. Once you lead the gas system you have to send it back to the factory for repair.

I traded mine in on a Freedom Arms revolver about ten years ago, no regrets.

MLeake
September 17, 2011, 11:06 AM
EdInk, the 29 is not now the 629. The 29 is blue; the 629 is stainless. I have one of each.

Though some years S&W doesn't make blue guns for all the 29 formats...

Anyway, I haven't shot and don't own a Desert Eagle. I wouldn't mind shooting one, but they seem too much of a niche gun for me. As in, I can't see ever wanting to carry a pistol that weighs over 4lbs empty, and is virtually impossible to conceal. At that point, might as well carry a rifle. I also can't see paying that much for ammo, in a gun I wouldn't carry.

But it's nice that people who want to, can do so.

OTOH, a 29 4" Mountain Gun is one of my hiking handguns, and a 629 6" is one of my hunting handguns (the other being a 10mm longslide 1911).

GONIF
September 17, 2011, 01:15 PM
I dad a DE in 44 mag and sold it many years ago,I still have 3 S&W 29/629 pistols . I like the weight,ballance,relieability and handeling of the S%W 29/629 pistols over the DE . ;)

OsOk-308
September 17, 2011, 06:44 PM
If both are in .44 magnum, I'd get the S&W 29/629. I had a 629-1 and it's a solid revolver. I do not have large hands, so the Desert Eagle does not fit too well in my hands, however the 29 fits wonderfully in my hands, and you have more versatility as far as barrel lengths. 2/4/6/8 inch barrel lengths depending on what your purposes are.

Edward429451
September 17, 2011, 07:02 PM
Does it count if my brother had a DE for 10 years and I reloaded for it and shot it often, often beside my 29 and RH? OK. Actually, 44AMP covered it very well. The only thing I can add is that overall, I think the 29 is the better gun. Mostly because it is more versatile than the DE with respect to ammo. I cast and shoot lots of Lead boolits and the DE being gas operated, does not handle lead loads as well as the Smith.

44 Mag must be able to shoot lead from the gun. Much of the versatility of the round is rooted in lead. The DE has ammo limitations in materials and weight. Get a Smith or a Ruger and never look back.

Paul K
September 17, 2011, 07:41 PM
The 29 has the DE beat in the looks department hands down. It is way more accurate, has the pedegree most handguns wish they had, and it's quality is iron-brick next to the DE's sloppy joe.

Disclamer: I have shot all three MK XIX Desert Eagle calibers extensivley. I own a 29-9.

JHansenAK47
September 17, 2011, 11:03 PM
I use my 629-1 and 629-4 as hunting sidearms, so they have a use for me. The Desert Eagle is more of a target gun which doesn't match up well for me due to it weight and bulk.

Rugerismisticness
September 18, 2011, 11:40 AM
1911's in .22lr beat both of em:p...... as far as ammo costs.

Jeff OTMG
September 18, 2011, 10:28 PM
Since you use the term 'weapon' I am going to have to go with the S&W. Also, mine is nickel, not blue. :p

MagnumWill
September 18, 2011, 11:10 PM
Neither, since they're both giant, gaudy-ass safe/range queens. (IMHO, of course) :p :D

Let the flaming begin... :)

bigautomatic
September 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
It is way more accurate,
Sorry Paul, I gotta disagree with ya on that. Most DEs are VERY accurate. But, I'd say that it would depend on the individual shooter, because of the very different grips and percieved recoil from each gun. For me, the DE is at least as accurate as the 29.:)