PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger Cougar vs PX4

pgdion
September 15, 2011, 08:41 AM
Seeing more Cougar posts (cool). Was wondering if anyone owns or has experience with both the Cougar and the PX4 and can comment on how they compare as far as the way they feel and the recoil. The Cougar with the alloy frame has a little more weight while the PX4 supposedly has a refined rotating barrel system. Kind of wondering how well any improvements in the barrel might make up for less mass in the gun when it comes to handling and recoil. Especially interested in comments on the .40 and .45 cal versions. I have a Cougar 8000 that is fantastic. I want to add another (thinking the .45) but was wondering how others think the PX4 compares to it. Personally I like the slimmer alloy frame and guess I can live without the couple of extra rounds.

MLeake
September 15, 2011, 09:10 AM
Your Cougar 8000 should have a rotating barrel. Does it not?

Edit: I last shot a Cougar several years ago, so I can't directly compare it to a PX4.

I can say my PX4 .40 has less perceived recoil than did the SIG P229 I used to have, and less than the FNX-40 I used to have.

2nd Edit: Thing about perceived recoil, though, is it can be affected by bore axis, grip fit, shooting technique - IE, it's pretty subjective. If it were only a matter of gun mass vs cartridge, things would be much simpler.

pgdion
September 15, 2011, 09:19 AM
Yep, both the Cougar and the PX4 have a rotating barrel. Beretta claims the rotating barrel system is 'improved' over the original Cougar. Just wondering what 'improved' is and if it has any practical advantage to it.

MLeake
September 15, 2011, 09:22 AM
I haven't taken apart a Cougar, so I'm not sure.

The PX4 has the rotating block set up to also act as a housing for the recoil spring. Not sure if the Cougar is set up in that manner?

Boats
September 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
The only Cougar worth having is the 8000. And then only an Italian made one at that.

The 8045 is a terribly size inefficient weapon for its capacity.

As for the improved rotary barrel system between the Cougar and the PX4, it is mainly in the following two categories.

The Cougar has a field stripping reassembly that is more complicated than is the PX4's. Many Cougar owners reassembled their pistols upside down, allowing gravity to assist in keeping the recoil spring assembly and the locking block mounted into the slide until the slide was replaced on the frame. The PX4 captures the barrel and locking block under the spring tension of the recoil spring subassembly until such a time as the pistol is reassembled. The PX4 is a solid updating of the field strip if nothing else.

The Cougar barrel rotates 30 degrees, the PX4 rotates only 15. Theoretically, The PX4's system's not having to travel as far is an advantage.

group17
September 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
"The Cougar has a field stripping reassembly that is more complicated than is the PX4's. Many Cougar owners reassembled their pistols upside down, allowing gravity to assist in keeping the recoil spring assembly and the locking block mounted into the slide until the slide was replaced on the frame."

Up side down? I must be the only one that doesn't.
I have never had a problem with the take down. It's the same as the Beretta version 8000, easy!

pgdion
September 15, 2011, 06:45 PM
^ There's 2 of us I guess, I haven't tried putting mine back together upside down either. But I might next time. ;-)

Boats, thanks for the response! That's the kind of info I was wondering about. :)
pgd

labhound
September 16, 2011, 12:13 AM
I own Stoeger Cougar 8000, 8045 and a PX4 Inox 9mm. All are excellent guns. I don't see any difference in the recoil of the 8000 and the PX4. The grip on the 8000 fits me better than any other pistol I own. The only reason I have the PX4 is Beretta came out with the Inox version. I personally think the 8000 is a better buy for the money than the basic black PX4. The 8045 is a soft shooting .45 that I have a Viridian C5L laser/light mounted on and use it for home defense and range duty. I don't carry it as I prefer a high capacity 9mm for carry. As far as field stripping the Cougar or PX4, not a dimes worth of difference between them and I've never had the need to reassemble either one of them upside down! :rolleyes:

Boats
September 16, 2011, 12:30 AM
Lest you think I was just making it up, here is a thread from back in the day: (Actually just two short years ago).:D

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=417973

What I didn't know, since I dumped my Cougar in 1999, is that the design for reassembling this pistol was revised, resulting in the "modern" Cougar field strip that now also appears in the PX4.

Sorry for any confusion. Sometimes, knowing the ancient history of a pistol works against me.;)