PDA

View Full Version : CZ 2075 Rami for home defense??

SRT2
September 15, 2011, 01:09 AM
would the CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm be suitable for home
defense.??

LockedBreech
September 15, 2011, 01:25 AM
Suitable? Probably. Ideal? No.

For the record, I'm a big fan of CZ. The PCR Compact is on my short list, and the 75B is on my long-term must-collect list. I think CZ makes fine guns, almost all of the time. Any derivative of the 75-series is a surefire winner. Heck, the P-01/P-06 platform did truly outstanding on the NATO tests.

The RAMI and, to a lesser extent, the P-07, seem to be departures from this quality trend. From what I've read on the various gun forums I peruse, these two models have a disproportionately high error and/or defect rate, especially for a CZ product.

In addition, the RAMI is a conceal pistol. That's great if you want a multi-use gun that you can both concealed-carry and keep on the nightstand. However, there are better guns for that purpose. The Ruger SR9c/SR40c and Smith and Wesson M&P9c/M&P40c, as well as, of course, the Glock Models 26 and 27 (9x19 and .40 caliber "Baby" glocks) can be carried concealed with 11-12 round magazines, and stored at home with full-size magazines. The SR9c is particularly adept in this area. It comes with a 17-round fullsize magazine extension with the grip built in. It was made to be both. :)

If the gun is meant exclusively for nightstand use and you do not intend to carry, I recommend a full-size service pistol chambered in 9mm, .40, or .45, depending on what you can handle. Great choices here would be the Glock Model 17/Model 22($500-550), Beretta Model 92FS/Model 96FS ($525-600), CZ-75B($475-515), Stoeger Cougar ($350-400) Springfield Armory XD ($375-425) or the more highly refined XDM ($540-580). There are other great choices here. As perhaps the most competitive firearms market, this is a crowded one with a lot of competition and a lot of choice. Other pistols worth noting are the Beretta PX4 Storm, FN FNP-series, FN FNX-series, Browning Hi-Power, as well as a number of others I am undoubtedly neglecting to mention. I have purposely omitted the Sig-Sauer P-series and Heckler & Koch USP-series, as these guns range into the $700-$1000 range new and are outside the price range of most shooters looking for a nightstand gun. Such guns as the P226 and P229, or the USP 9/40, are, of course, of champion breeding and will serve you for multiple lifetimes, should you decide to pony up the cash. Cheaper guns, though, can and will give you a dedicated lifetime of service.

The two most important factors:

1.) You want a gun that rests on a proven platform. Most weapons I just mentioned have been through wars and/or decades of service. At the very least, they have seen millions of rounds from end-users and have been reported to be reliable, tough, and powerful.

2.) You want a gun that fits you well, and that you are capable of shooting well. If at all possible, get a little trigger time with as many of the models and calibers I mentioned as possible. It doesn't mean a thing that I love the Beretta 92 platform, or that Poster X loves the Glock 17 platform. That's your first question, the one of quality (both, by the way, are amazing platforms, despite all the bickering over their relative merits). The most important question, by far, is how you (and your significant other) handle the gun. You need to find out if you prefer striker or hammer fired weapons, what caliber you prefer, what grips fit your hand best, and if you prefer a manual safety, among other issues.

My prices on the guns I mentioned are not exact, only rough estimates from my online browsing. Every single one of my stated opinions is my own, and the milage of other posters, or yourself, may vary. :)

Good shooting, friend.

jborushko
September 15, 2011, 01:52 AM
2075 (and i do own one and love it) extended magazine holds 14 rounds (9mm)... and it will accept a full 19rd mag from my SP01 Phantom...

the questions are:

1) do you aready have one?
2) do you shoot it well?
3) do you have/can you get night sights for it (yes)

my answer would be yes. but personally my home defence gun is usually my 325 thunder ranch w/light, or CZ SP01 Phantom w/light, or 1911 w/light and laser...

btw my 2075 has been flawless!

LockedBreech
September 15, 2011, 02:28 AM
my answer would be yes. but personally my home defence gun is usually my 325 thunder ranch, or CZ SP01 Phantom w/light, or 1911 w/light and laser...

:cool: The SP01 is an outstanding combat pistol.

Walt Sherrill
September 15, 2011, 07:49 AM
The RAMI has many of the traits and strengths of the standard CZ, but squeezed into a smaller package -- primarily for concealed carry. In that respect, I've found it too wide/large for that intended purpose, without other advantages to offset that problem.d

If you are primarily concerned about home defense and a little time at the range, the RAMI does NOTHING better than the standard CZ, and some things not quite as well. It's a good gun, but for the use you intend, the standard CZ-75B (or one of the compacts) is arguably better.

group17
September 15, 2011, 11:16 AM
Yes, especially if you get a deal on it.

pgdion
September 15, 2011, 11:35 AM
Suitable? Yes. But for home defense you can afford the luxury of a larger gun that will perform better (be easier to handle, shoot, ect). The 9mm is a fine round but a full size pistol is my choice for home defense. The RAMI is a cool little gun but it wouldn't be my 1st choice for home defense ... the CZ 75B would knock it's socks off.

aarondhgraham
September 15, 2011, 11:43 AM
Is it suitable for home defense?

Of course it is suitable for home defense.

There are other pistols out there that are bigger and have more capacity than the RAMI,,,
That doesn't mean the RAMI is unsuitable.

The gun you own, like, and can shoot well is suitable for home defense,,,
If the RAMI fits those categories for you,,,
It is a suitable gun.

We all get way too hung up on the word "best",,,
It muddies up our thinking.

Aarond

daliff89
September 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
like i say in all of these threads, if it's only for home defense, buy a shotgun....

there's a Remington 870 with a 20" barrel and pistol grip shoulder stock for $200

if you're insistent on getting a handgun though, a full-sized pistol would probably be a better option

although, when my shotgun is out of home defense mode and in 'shoot a squirrel or other animal' mode, i keep a Glock 30 by my bed and that's a compact .45

in the end, it's like everyone else says, if you can shoot it well then it will serve it's purpose

jlwatts3
September 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
I use a Springfield XD9sc as my primary HD pistol. I have bigger pistols, but I shoot the XD the best. I also have a Win 1300 12ga and a Mini-14 ready to go, for the record.

loose_holster_dan
September 15, 2011, 01:48 PM
sure. it's a nice accurate gun. there are definitely guns better suited to home defense, but if you are looking for a "do it all" gun, the rami isn't a bad choice. its size lends itself well to carry, and it has the accuracy the cz line is known for.

cebur19
September 15, 2011, 02:47 PM
I have the Rami 2075 and the CZ 75B. The Rami comes with either 10 Rd mags or 14 Rd mags. It is very accurate and would be fine as a home defense weapon. Although, I feel the same as some of the others, At home where size isn't an issue I use my Glock 21SF, 13 Rds of .45 ACP, for home defense.

armoredman
September 15, 2011, 03:47 PM
My wife relays on a 2075 RAMI for her home defense, and is quite happy with it. With the extended 14 round mag it rides comfortably with her all day, no issues. She can hit minute-of-felon with it, and is supremely confident in the little gun.
The RAMi is based off the CZ 40B, which is the derivative of the CZ/Colt venture the Colt Z-40. The RAMI in 40SW had some teething issues, but I am not hearing much bad about the RAMI nowadays, popular little pistol, and not as chunky as it may look.

Having said all that, mine is also an SP-01 Phantom...which I also carry concealed. :)

SRT2
September 15, 2011, 11:28 PM
Have you tried the CZ 75D PCR or the P01 compacts?

Walt Sherrill
September 16, 2011, 08:15 AM
If you're buying a gun primarily for home defense, there is NO ADVANTAGE in seeking a compact or sub-compact gun for that role when a full-size gun is available.

Virtually all compacts or sub-compacts have characteristics that are a function of their smaller size. With a sub-compact like the RAMI, it's a shorter barrel that slightly degrades performance and gives the shooter a shorter sight radius. It also has a necessarily lower capacity with flush-fit mags -- but you can use larger mags in a home-defense role.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't use a compact for home defense, but it means there are trade-offs when doing so, and you should be aware of what you're giving up and what you're gaining.

If you're going to carry the compact weapon and that's to be it's main function, then ALSO using it for home defense is a reasonable plan -- with no need for another gun for that function.

But, if you're thinking about getting the gun primarily for home defense, a compact or sub-compact will do the job, but other guns -- full-size -- will do it at least as well, will be more comfortable to shoot and, arguably, will perform better in most shooter's hands.

If you like the CZ design, look for a used full-size CZ 75B, or a used CZ-40B, which is similar, but slightly larger. The 40B is -- to my thinking -- a much better weapon for home defense than the RAMI; and while the 40B is technically a "compact" gun, it pushes the higher limits of that category. The 40B is a truly well-designed and virtually trouble-free weapon.

SRT2
September 16, 2011, 10:30 AM
For clarification, I want a handgun for home defense, also to
be a "car gun", range gun and though I would not conceal carry frequently
it would be nice to be able to do so easily on occassions when I
did want to conceal carry.

I thought the rami would be good for car and conceal carry but wondered
about effectiveness for home defense.

It may be that a compact such as the CZ P01 might better fill all of the roles.

Mrgunsngear
September 16, 2011, 03:14 PM
For what you just described, it will be a good all around gun that fits all those purposes. It's absolutely a good home defense gun. Is a shotgun or carbine better? Sure. There are many police departments that use the G19 which has very similar ballistics and those officers do just fine in SD scenarios. Load it up with good JHP rounds and you'll be good to go.

gunluver
September 16, 2011, 07:31 PM
I have become a huge fan of CZ this year and now trust my defense to it. I decided that the compact line is as easy to conceal (for me) as the RAMI line.

My personal carry gun? cz 75 compat PCR
My nightstand gun? cz 75 compact P-01

Same size, same controls, same handling. Only real difference is the rail on the P-01, to which I have added a light. I can shoot both equally as well and feel no significant difference in performance compared to shooting a full size cz 75......at least at normal self-defense distances of 5-15 yards.

Try the PCR....you will like it :D

MikeNice81
September 17, 2011, 03:28 AM
I would personally go for one of the "compact" CZs. They have a longer barrel and increased weight for less felt recoil.

I own a P-07 that is trouble free. Early 9mm P-07s had teething problems. However, they have recently passed the NIJ testing for carry by US police officers. The .40S&W has been trouble free from day one.

The polymer Rami had some issues with the polymer near the muzzle bulging. It was found to be a cosmetic issue. However, to make up for it CZ was replacing them with alloy versions. Pay a little extra to get an alloy one and you should be fine.

Any CZ is a fine gun and can serve the purpose.

American Eagle
September 17, 2011, 05:52 AM
This is probably where I'll tick off a lot of people in this forum, but I am a big advocate of having a 12 gauge shotgun as the primary home defense weapon. A short barrel 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot is ideal weapon for home defense, where concealment is not an issue.

However, there is nothing wrong with having a pistol as a backup weapon to your home defense shotgun.

But if you do not yet have a shotgun, then any pistol 9MM and above will do, or even a revolver (4 inch barrel or bigger) will work if that's all you have.

My personal choice is a Remington 870 magnum chambered in 12 gauge, and my backup pistol is my Beretta 85FS...which although not ideal for primary home defense, can serve nicely as a backup weapon if I am ever in a pinch.

FairWarning
September 17, 2011, 10:16 AM
No point in using a sub-compact for home defense. I believe in full size/full capacity for this purpose.

And although the Rami is a bit smaller, I still prefer the CZ P01 for carry because it's basically a full fledged combat 9 slightly scaled down.

MikeNice81
September 19, 2011, 12:25 AM
Actually the P01 is a full fledge combat nine. It was originally designed to meet all NATO specs and pass all NATO testing. The P01 was the original the full size SP01 came second.

For an all around gun like the OP is talking about it would probably be the best bet. It really isn't much harder to carry than a Rami. I am 5'10" and about 205. I can carry a P-07 under a loose t-shirt. A P01 is about the same size.

Walt Sherrill
September 19, 2011, 06:09 AM
The P01 was the original the full size SP01 came second.

Yeah, but they're both just variants of the full-size CZ-75B; the P-01 is NOT a "first" in any real sense. The PCR preceded the P-01, and it was also derived from the standard CZ-75: alloy frame, slightly shorter barrel and slightly shorter grip -- same gun internally (except for the barrel lugs -- two instead of three).

The P-01 frame may be stronger than the PCR, being forged alloy rather than cast -- but that's really a moot point, as you don't hear anything about ANY CZ frames failing.

Later addition:

The idea of using a shotgun for home defense is probably darned good -- and many experts recommend that -- along with electronic hearing protection and a good SUREFIRE-type light handy.

A shotgun just doesn't work in our home, as I have no place to safely store it (with family kids around) while still letting it be easily accessible -- but I do have a small handgun safe (easily accessed) bolted to the floor near my bed, along with a spare set of electronic muffs and a flashlight setting on top of it.

StuntManMike
September 19, 2011, 07:45 PM
2nd post wins!!

I used to have a 2075 but sold it so I can one day get a 2075BD. With the 14rd mags you can get a solid grip and have ample capacity.

MikeNice81
September 19, 2011, 11:26 PM
Walt they also beefed up the frame in some areas, extended the full frame to the end of the pistol, and redesigned the internals to ensure they are completely interchangeable with other P01s. All steps CZ admitted took considerable redesigning and years of work.

The gun is much more than a PCR with a cast frame. It may not be a "complete" original. It is a major redesign though and the original in the P01, P06. SP-01 family.

Walt Sherrill
September 20, 2011, 06:19 AM
...and redesigned the internals to ensure they are completely interchangeable with other P01s.

Got some specifics? I've never heard of nor seen "redesigned" internals on the P-01, so would be interested in what that means.

Since then, they've also introduced the Omega trigger, which is different and, arguably, an improvement -- but that was just another evolutionary change. I would expect to eventually see that on all models. But CZ doesn't generally retrofit such changes to older models, and just incorporates them into new ones.

MikeNice81
September 20, 2011, 07:21 AM
The specifics I don't have. All I have at hand is what CZ-USA put on their website.

On the CZ-USA site it says,
The components of the P-01 are completely interchangeable with every other P-01 with no individual fitting required. This required some very careful redesign so that the reliability and accuracy were not impaired.

I did read a more complete article. Of course I didn't save it to favorites. At the time $600 for the P01 was out of my budget and the P-07 Duty was much more affordable at $483 out-the-door. So, I didn't save the article that detailed all the changes and had the quote about the P01 taking years to design.

The P02 available in Europe appears to be the P01 with an Omega trigger system. If it makes the way here I will consider trading in my P-07 Duty.

Walt Sherrill
September 20, 2011, 09:21 AM
The specifics I don't have. All I have at hand is what CZ-USA put on their website.

Beware CZ's marketing hype. (More about this, later.)

Actually, I've never encountered CZ internals that needed special fitting, across the board. That doesn't mean that it isn't a problem, but simply that I've never encountered it -- nor heard of a need. Sounds to me as though the "redesign" had more to do with their production methods than with changes to the internal "design" specifications.

To the best of my knowledge, which is certainly outdated with regard to the new Omega system, the internals of nearly all 75-based CZs (and even much of the CZ-40B), are interchangeable. And, I can't imagine WHY there'd be a need to interchange parts on any of these guns. (I know barrels are different, and the 40B and RAMI use a different barrel lock-up system, similar to SIGs and different from the other 75 guns.)

I have learned to take much of CZ marketing information with a grain of salt. It certainly isn't gospel. CZ has made claims about how widely CZs are used, and does it in a way that is very misleading. While they may be correct in their claims about the number of different places their guns are used (implicitly addressing the "most widely used" assertion), the implication is MOST GUNS USED (in sheer numbers) when, in fact, their guns are FAR from the most used around the world. Beretta probably has more M9s in use in the US military alone than CZ has in service in all of the militaries and police forces around the world.

None of this is an attempt to disparage the quality of their weapons, which I like a lot. I have had many CZs over the years: several compacts, several pre-B 75s, several 75Bs (in both 9mm and .40), a 97B, several high gloss-blued 85 Combats and, currently, an 85 Combat in satin nickel and a 75B SA. (I also have two Swiss CZ clones: a Sphinx and a custom AT-84s. That AT-84s is the best of the bunch, even better than the Sphinx, which is saying something.)

MikeNice81
September 20, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you for the information Walt.