PDA

View Full Version : S&W SIGMA Trigger Pull

chiefr
September 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
I fired a S&W Sigma 40. I could not help but notice the trigger pull is a ridiculously high; around 12 pounds or more. Does anybody know of any fixes or aftermarket parts out there to lighten the trigger pull?

phatspeed7x
September 13, 2011, 11:13 PM
Just keep shooting it. I've got over 2000 rounds through my 9mm sigma, and now the trigger pull is down around 8lbs....

Spammy_H
September 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
Yes, buy a S&W M&P.

SW40F
September 14, 2011, 07:50 AM
If the trigger seems too hard to pull, don't buy the gun.

Leejack
September 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
Just practice, it gets better as you go.

The trigger does what it was designed to do.

Now, you'll run into some rocket scientists on the internet that will try to talk you into using ball point pen springs, etc., forget all that nonsense.

Shoot it and have fun. If you don't like it, sell it.

bossman
September 14, 2011, 09:17 AM
It is a great gun for the price. Yes the trigger takes some getting used to, but mine shoots anything without a hiccup. It's an inexpensive gun that works everytime. Better trigger = more money, remember you get what you pay for. You didn't pay very much for a worhhorse of a gun,IMO.

ET.
September 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
What? A Sigma with a hard trigger pull? :eek:That's just really hard to believe!

abelacres
September 14, 2011, 10:30 AM
Better off with a High Point- it's so cheap you won't care :D

loose_holster_dan
September 14, 2011, 11:11 AM
you get what you pay for. the sigma is s&w's version of a chevy cavalier.

loose_holster_dan
September 14, 2011, 11:12 AM
hey ET,

is that your sarcasm face?

Te Anau
September 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
The Sigma is a great gun and may just have the perfect DAO trigger for a defensive handgun.If people could just stop expecting it to act like a 1911,everything would be fine.

Whirlwind06
September 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
Think of it as a 12 shot revolver.

zachkuby87
September 14, 2011, 02:53 PM
Just shoot it I have 2 sw9's one is the sw9f and the other is an sw9ve the sw9f has a few thousand rounds through it the trigger is smooth now and id say half the pull of the sw9ve that only has 500 rounds through it. The sw9ve has improved a little already.

Ridge_Runner_5
September 14, 2011, 06:09 PM
you get what you pay for. the sigma is s&w's version of a chevy cavalier.

As someone who kept an SW40VE in his Cavalier as a truck gun, I'm offended by that.

BigBrute
September 14, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'm just spitballing here, but I seem to remember reading about a way to replace the trigger spring in a Sigma with one from a Glock. You'd have to talk to a gunsmith for specifics probably, but it was supposed to really reduce the trigger pull. Again, I'm going from memory here.

stoney64
September 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Go to a S&W forum, I had a Sigma and found on the forum the removal of a certain spring helps but I don't remember which one but it was easy. You do get used to the pull though and they are nice guns so don't give up too soon.

Rugerismisticness
September 14, 2011, 06:43 PM
Sigmas are excellent. The trigger smooths out and lightens up. My 40VE holds 15+1rnds of "fight stopping forty", is only 21oz, thinner than glocks, has a very good grip, and shoots very accuratly with the right loads. I notice it is more accuracy picky than other guns, mine shoots 180gr around 4"s at 15yards, 135gr HST shoots an inch easily. In the 3000rnds I've put through, mine has had 0 jams and shows almost no signs of wear.

Vermonter
September 14, 2011, 06:55 PM
I posted a ra.nge report here about how much i actually like it. I got a used one and the trigger seemed rough to me. Now it feels no different than a revolver. I dry fired the ever loveing hell out of it ( I like to fire at the tv for a moving target feel) and i put about 500 through it. It seemed very lightly used however it is so durable i have no way of telling how many rounds were shot through it.

I love having 40 s& w with me as well.

jimbob86
September 14, 2011, 07:12 PM
Sigmas are excellent.

For? I think the "12 shot revolver" comment was accurate: if you can't manage a SA trigger, or even a good striker fired contraption (some folks are just more "bull in a china shoppe" than other folks.....), then hey, maybe this is the thing for you: unless I am mistaken, replicating the long heavy pull of a DA revolver, but with double the capacity was the "Raison d'ĂȘtre" of the Sigma ....... a hardware solution to a software problem .......

The trigger smooths out and lightens up.

and

shows almost no signs of wear.

don't jive ..... consistant or not? Does it lighten with use or does it stay the same? How much does it lighten?

I'm thinking that if you wanted a light, smooth, consistant pull, you would not start with a Sigma ........

chiefr
September 14, 2011, 07:55 PM
As the OP for this one, I asked the question of lightening the trigger pull on a S&W Sigma. I did not say I owned one or was about to purchase one.

For those who offered solutions instead of cynicism: Like; spring maintenance, firing it more, the SW Forum, and having some work done on the gun -- thanks.

warrconn
September 14, 2011, 10:57 PM
I have a Sigma .40, and don't really understand the trigger criticisms. No big deal to me, or my wife who loves our S&W 442.

Vermonter
September 14, 2011, 11:14 PM
I feel the trigger on my sigma has smoothed over time. I feel like the rest of the firearm shows fewer signs of wear than your average handgun. I would suggest dry firing at the very least. The truth may be that i have adapted to the trigger not the other way around.

Sarge
September 14, 2011, 11:46 PM
The best 'mod' for these guns is to pull the sear block and polish the machine marks out of it. There's an instructional article, complete w/useful pics, but I lost the bookmark when a 'puter croaked.

This takes all the grit out of the mechanism and the gun essentially does become a funny-looking 14 shot DA revolver. I've been using an Allied Forces 40VE (http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-sigma-sd-pistols/153969-new-allied-forces-40ve-range-report.html)for a little over a year now and in addition to taking me back to marksmanship basics, it has become my favorite carry gun.

kraigwy
September 15, 2011, 09:03 AM
I don't find the trigger on the Sigma objectionable. Of course when I got mine I spent several hours dry firing it.

It's not a Colt Series 70, its a DAO pistol.

I don't find it any worse then any of the Glocks or other DAO pistols.

Then again I'm a revolver shooting.

For a non-safety semi, you don't want a light trigger pull.

But then I'm a revolver shooter.

qqq1
September 15, 2011, 10:04 AM
I had come across a thread while searching google some time back that had a phone number to call for s&w to get the trigger fixed up. I don't know if it was a specific number or just their support. Whatever it was, I sent my gun in and it came back with a much lighter trigger. It's still a little grainy feeling but still a lot better. I've seen other suggestions where people take the gun apart, soak the spring in something or other, replace springs, etc. I wouldn't mess with any of those things myself. Just call support, tell them the trigger is very heavy and rough, they should take care of you.

doc540
September 15, 2011, 02:34 PM
here ya go:

Call S&W customer service

tell them the trigger is "rough and gritty"

DO NOT tell them it's "stiff".

they'll email prepaid postage

ship the frame to them

about 2 weeks later it will arrive back

trigger will be smooth as buttah...like night and day

it will NOT be "lighter", but much "smoother"

lifetime guarantee on any Sigma

They've done several for me, all the same process

Hardcase
September 15, 2011, 02:56 PM
It's a DAO, striker fired pistol. The trigger has to cock the striker, so it's going to be heavy - there's just no way around it. As far as "gritty" goes, well, I did notice that the SW9VE that I used to have did get smoother with time.

It's not a target gun - it's a self defense pistol and that heavy trigger, for a great many people, is a good thing to have in that sort of gun. The heavy trigger is by design - and that's exactly what they'll tell you if you call S&W to complain. If you don't want a DAO gun with a heavy trigger, don't buy a Sigma.

Onward Allusion
September 15, 2011, 03:25 PM
chiefr
S&W SIGMA Trigger Pull

Buy a S&W SD. Basically the same gun with a lighter trigger. Note that I did not say better trigger. The trigger's attractiveness is in the eye of the holder. I love the trigger, but I pretty much shoot DAO and revolvers.

BTW, I personally would not do a Bubba trigger job on it. I know there are many who have but I would not, especially if this is a defensive weapon and not a range toy.

BRE346
September 18, 2011, 11:47 AM
The pull is pretty heavy but gets easier as your strength increases. I researched among the Sigma posts and figured that removing a tiny coiled spring would be enough. Smoothing all friction surfaces helps. There is a tiny slot that is difficult (for me) to smooth and you can feel its roughness as you pull the trigger. With practice the gun just gets better and better. I've had no problems with ammo. It shoots like a Glock. We keep it for a house gun.

doc540
September 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
Just say it's "rough".

If you tell them it's "heavy" or "stiff" they very well may say it was designed that way and refuse to service it.

IJS