PDA

View Full Version : RUGER SR1911 Availiability

Lurch37
September 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
I've had one of these on order since April and still nothing. I've been to Ruger's website, their facebook page, and several websites looking for clues as to why there don't seem to be any around.

Now I realize that opinions, rumors, heresay, and the like are all in the same boat as far as what the truth may be but the latest info I got was from my dealer. According to my dealers distributor, Ruger is making approximately 200 SR1911's a day, which sounds ok I guess. The troubling part is that Ruger has backorders of approximately 85,000 SR1911's alone as well.

I am next on the list here, hopefully it won't be too much longer.

KyJim
September 13, 2011, 08:41 PM
I haven't tried to buy one. From all accounts, they are a solid 1911 but they are not the only gun in town. One thing they have done very well is to listen to the public on everything from sights to materials.

I see that there are some on Gunbroker including one starting at $900. :D

Willie Lowman
September 13, 2011, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I'm still waiting on my Colt Combat Elite.

Tom Servo
September 13, 2011, 09:05 PM
Scuttlebutt from Ruger is that they're working on increasing manufacturing capacity, and that it could be a few more months before the bottleneck clears.

Why they didn't do this before barnstorming the media with new model is beyond me.

Lurch37
September 14, 2011, 06:24 AM
Scuttlebutt from Ruger is that they're working on increasing manufacturing capacity, and that it could be a few more months before the bottleneck clears.

I've read that too Tom. In fact somewhere on Ruger's facebook page they had a video clip of the SR1911, and people promptly started asking why show a video when nobody can even find one to buy. A Ruger rep then commented what you said, they are adding new machinery to increase production and it could be 9 months or so.

Shane Tuttle
September 14, 2011, 06:34 AM
My guess is seeing how competitive the market is for 1911 variants it's extremely difficult to gauge how the response would truly be until you offer the product.

Also, consider the cost of tooling up for production. You can't just up and expect a company to go through these costs just to get a product out, only to lay off employees and throw dust covers on the unused equipment when the market is saturated. Well, you can. But that's no way to run a reputable business and still put out a quality product without jacking the price up.

Bottom line: Folks need to understand they can't have their cake and eat it, too.

Opinated
September 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
Based on the numbers in the original post, the backlog will be gone in about 2 years. Some buyers will give up, some may die (some of us are not young anymore) and other orders will be added. Some buyers will come of age (21) in the next two years.

geetarman
September 14, 2011, 07:35 AM
There is plenty of quality hardware to buy and shoot. I, for one, will lose no sleep waiting for a Ruger.

Geetarman:D

Scimmia
September 14, 2011, 08:32 AM
According to my dealers distributor, Ruger is making approximately 200 SR1911's a day, which sounds ok I guess.

If that's true, they've increased production quite a bit. Back in the first week of July, a member on another forum reported that email communication from Ruger said they were shipping 300 per week with 3500 shipped.

Red Dog
September 14, 2011, 05:32 PM
Back ordered 85000
Production 200 per day
Wanting one... hopeless!!!!

More than a year wait.

popplecop
September 14, 2011, 06:00 PM
Guess I don't feel bad, mine on order from a small dealer, primarily a Gunsmith Shop since this spring. As I have a number of 1911s, it makes the wait easier.

Artie
September 14, 2011, 06:15 PM
I had mine in hand by late June with a serial number of #4xxx, so I don't know if I'd buy into the 3500 shipped by July. I would guess that they put out around 5,000 by July.

larryf1952
September 14, 2011, 06:20 PM
I found a new one, unsold and lonely, sitting in the display case at my local Cabela's a couple of weeks ago. I fondled it a bit, but passed on the $749 price tag. Thankfully, I have plenty of other 1911's to cool my lust until the Ruger becomes more readily available at a reasonable price.

Lurch37
September 14, 2011, 09:49 PM
My guess is seeing how competitive the market is for 1911 variants it's extremely difficult to gauge how the response would truly be until you offer the product.

Also, consider the cost of tooling up for production. You can't just up and expect a company to go through these costs just to get a product out, only to lay off employees and throw dust covers on the unused equipment when the market is saturated. Well, you can. But that's no way to run a reputable business and still put out a quality product without jacking the price up.

Bottom line: Folks need to understand they can't have their cake and eat it, too.

Shane, while I truly understand what your saying, I must also be honest and say that I find it hard to think that Ruger of all companies, underestimated the demand by this much.

Of course I don't want people to lose their jobs or companies to mothball factories. And yes, it's great to be able to buy quality products at a decent price. I guess I'm spoiled in the fact that when I see something advertised in several different magazines, written about and tested by several writers, videos of said item on a manufacturers website, I do expect to be able to find one and buy one, (at a non inflated price), if I so choose, without waiting too long. Kind of like cars, motorcycles, TV's, matresses, etc.

In short, I do want my cake and I do want to eat it.

Viper99
September 15, 2011, 03:35 PM
Try my gun broker. Is on their website but you would have to call to make sure.

http://hoffgun.com/newarrivals.htm

Good luck

laytonj1
September 15, 2011, 05:58 PM
I had mine in hand by late June with a serial number of #4xxx, so I don't know if I'd buy into the 3500 shipped by July. I would guess that they put out around 5,000 by July.
According to the folks over on the Ruger forum, the serial numbers started at 2000.

Jim

JWT
September 24, 2011, 08:56 AM
Picked mine up yesterday. I ordered it four months ago from Impact Guns and my name finally came up on their back order list. I didn't mind waiting because they had the best price I could find and I have a Colt and a Dan Wesson I could shoot.

Haven't fired it yet, but the finish work looks pretty good to me. The guys in the shop I had it sent to all said it was the first one they'd seen.

csmsss
September 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
It is not uncommon for companies to announce the initiation of production and distribution of a product yet to have very few samples available for sale at the retail price. Not saying Ruger is doing this, necessarily, but it's a marketing technique many companies use for many reasons - not least of which is to get better research data on the actual price they will charge when full production starts. Ruger is, assuredly, monitoring the secondary market quite carefully to see what prices these pistols are obtaining.

It also gives them untold free advertising. Probably every gun forum on the net has one or more threads full of spellbound, lovelorn Ruger 1911 orderers wondering when their ship will come in. Lots of folks read these threads and get interested in a product they might not otherwise have given a second thought to.

So...if this is the approach Ruger has taken, it's not unprecedented and it's not illogical.

Lurch37
September 24, 2011, 09:39 AM
Your not dancing around singing nah nah nah nah nah nah, at me are you? :D

Seriously though, congrats on getting yours. I'm still waiting naturally, and to be honest, I've quit asking my dealer if he's heard anything. I'm pretty sure they would tell me if anything showed up. Although I'm very much wanting to get it, I've lost most of my excitement and/or anticipation that I had.

orionengnr
September 24, 2011, 10:15 PM
When Ruger came out with the LCP, I put one on order with my LGS. About eight months later, my number came up--$256 later, I was on my way.

I put my name on the list for an SR1911 a while ago. If I have to wait a while, so be it--I have other 1911s, and my LGS quoted me a price of just under $600 for the SR1911, so if it takes a bit of time, I'm okay with that.

If I wanted to spend $700 or so, I could probably have one next week.

SPUSCG
September 24, 2011, 10:20 PM
Is it true rugers also going to be adding some new grips to the sr1911s?

TacticalDefense1911
September 24, 2011, 11:23 PM
Just saw one in a gun shop today. Nice looking gun. Sorry to those who can't find them :D

Coach Z
September 24, 2011, 11:30 PM
Are there shops that have them online available for shipment to your LGS?

catnphx
September 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
I would like to handle one and compare it to the S&W 1911 E-Series that I'm most likely going to by at tax refund time. I hear great things about the SR1911 but may have to pass if they don't have sufficient availability by March 2012 (when I'm ready to buy).

Dwight55
September 25, 2011, 03:27 PM
Lurch, . . . Google the Sportsman's Den, N. Gamble Street, Shelby, Ohio.

I was there Friday, they had 2 in the showcase.

Give em a call, . . . they can ship it to your local gun dealer if you really want it, . . . seems like the price was in the $600 range, . . . but I may be mistaken, . . . don't remember that for sure.

May God bless,
Dwight