PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer question

30-30remchester
September 13, 2011, 08:11 PM
I am not a self loaded fan but am considering such. I DO NOT do plastic, period! What models of Sigs are built in the USA? Of these which are all metal? No use trying to sway my opinions on plastic. I know they work well, they just aint for me nor is foreign built guns. I support the home team.

sigcurious
September 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
I think they're all made in New Hampshire these days. the p22x series are all metal. The p250 and sp2022 are polys. Pretty sure most of their other firearms are all metal. Minus the grips, but even those you can get some aluminum ones if you don't like poly or wood, depending on model.

TunnelRat
September 13, 2011, 08:21 PM
Home team eh? Tell that to the Mexican engine in most Fords and Chevys. :D

Anywho, I am fairly confident that any of the new SIGs are made 100% in the good old USA in Exeter, NH, right down the road from me :). The vast majority are all metal (P22X), only the performance line are polymer framed (SP2022 and the like) and some of the smaller carry-designed guns. Though, they do use a polymer grip for the new models :p.

I just bought a brand new P229 this month actually, Lovely gun, much better than I am ;). That's enough smilies for now.

RC20
September 14, 2011, 10:55 PM
Phew, good thing the Sig SP2022 is made out of Polymer!

Well most of it is. A lot of steel, as heavy as my Star PD.

Great gun, saved from being too heavy by the Polymer frame

note: some people do mistake it for plastic, have to wonder if my aluminum frame Start PD is out of bounds as well.

ClydeFrog
September 15, 2011, 12:24 AM
To my limited knowledge, both Kel-Tec, based in sunny Florida(on the "Space Coast") & New England's Charter Arms are 100% made in the US of A! :)
The QC(quality) may be eh on some of these handguns but they do keep hard working Americans employed.

USA USA USA!
Clyde
ps; I own neither brand but may buy a .44spl Bulldog(used DA only) or the CA Southpaw DA revolver in .38spl(mirror left handed). Kel-Tec's are still a bit eh to me.

Sparks1957
September 15, 2011, 03:59 AM
Sig manufactures in both NH and in Germany. The vast majority of guns for sale in the US are made in Exeter NH.

The P series are all metal, aluminum alloy frames and either carbon or stainless steel slides.

In recent years, pistols like the SP2022 with polymer frames and steel slides have been introduced, and are top-quality from all I've heard. They're certainly much more affordable for most people.

I love my all-metal P220 and P229, best pistols made in my opinion.

Micropterus
September 15, 2011, 04:44 AM
The frames are made in Germany, the slides in USA. Assembly in USA.

Sparks1957
September 15, 2011, 04:46 AM
I stand corrected. Thanks, you are right.

TunnelRat
September 15, 2011, 06:49 AM
@Micropterus
That used to be true, it no longer is. Brand new SIGs from the P22X series are 100% made in the US, for better or worse. The slides are no longer made in Germany, though they were in the past.

postmaster
September 15, 2011, 08:22 AM
Bought a new 226 couple of months ago. It LOOKS, FEELS, AND SHOOTS LIKE A REAL GUN!!

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j363/_playthebest/walther/gadsen014.jpg

That said I carry plastic.

WVsig
September 15, 2011, 08:29 AM
99% of the Sigs sold in the US are made here in the US. This includes the frame, barrels & slides. The days of the frames being made in Germany has ended. This was done in gradual process.

At one time the guns were 100% German and were only imported by Sig Arms. Then they started shipping the frame for the P229 to the US where it was assembled along with a US milled stainless steel slide and barrel. They then expanded this to all P series guns. This is when all the P series guns changed from stamped carbon steel slides to milled stainless. Many of these guns where still manufactured on German frames. Then the final step was move the frame production here.

The orgin of the small parts are unknown but the number of MIM parts is growing. In the last 3 years Sig has moved almost every part that they could move to MIM much like Kimber did back in the day. :rolleyes:

There are some high end Sigs like the X-line and a few secondary market imports from people like PW Arms which have German frames but these guns make up a very small percentage of the Sigs being sold here.