PDA

View Full Version : Glock 45 gap conversion?

ohen cepel
September 13, 2011, 07:25 PM
Can the 45GAP guns be converted to any other caliber?

If so, how difficult and costly is it to do? Just a barrel or do you also need a new slide for the extractor to work correctly?

voyager4520
September 13, 2011, 10:38 PM
You can convert them to 9/.40/.357SIG. You need the slide with internals, barrel, trigger housing w/ ejector, trigger bar for 9/40/357, slide stop for 9/40/357, and magazines. If you got a .40/.357 slide and other parts listed above, all you'd need to convert to 9mm is a .40-9mm conversion barrel and magazines.

You can't put a Gen4 slide on a Gen3 frame, and I don't know if a Gen3 slide on a Gen4 frame would work but I wouldn't try it.

For the cost I'd rather just buy another Glock. If you buy a .40 or .357 model, all you need to convert either to 9mm is a .40-9mm conversion barrel and magazines. But if you'd be shooting 9mm far more often, it'd probably be better to just buy a 9mm model and forget about .40/.357. Besides cost, you'd have to detail strip the frame every time you wanted to swap between .45GAP and the smaller calibers.

Here are some tech info charts from Glockmeister.
Barrel Compatibility: http://www.glockmeister.com/GlockBarrelCcompatibility.asp
Upper swap: http://www.glockmeister.com/GlockUpperSwapsbyModel.asp
(DON'T put a higher caliber upper onto a 9mm frame that doesn't have a locking block pin, and DON'T put a .357SIG barrel into a Gen2 .40)

The Glockmeister Upper Swap chart doesn't include .45GAP, but you can swap them between the same sized/Generation frames as long you change the trigger bar, trigger housing w/ejector, slide stop, and magazines.

ohen cepel
September 14, 2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the info!

As you said, doesn't makes sense to change the slide out from a cost point.

roman3
September 14, 2011, 06:07 AM
While voyager is correct about what is recommended, if you simply pop a G19 or G23 (Have not tried with a 357) upper directly on a G38 lower the gun functioned just fine in both calibers.

I did not replace trigger housing w/ ejector, trigger bar for 9/40/357, slide stop for 9/40/357, and the upper worked just fine.

It also has worked with the 22 conversion kit just fine too.

You can find complete Glock uppers often for under or just around $200. 2nd Gen uppers will work just fine.

If I were to convert the gun to a full time non-45GAP platform then yes I would get the proper frame internals. Those parts are not that much $ generally.

ohen cepel
September 14, 2011, 07:07 PM
Just trying to figure out if there is any reason to pick up a GAP if I got a deal on it. Seems like unless I wanted to make it into a dedicated .22 platform it doesn't make sense to do it. Cost of the slide and possibly other parts makes it a bad idea.

Thanks!

roman3
September 15, 2011, 04:29 AM
Just trying to figure out if there is any reason to pick up a GAP if I got a deal on it. Seems like unless I wanted to make it into a dedicated .22 platform it doesn't make sense to do it. Cost of the slide and possibly other parts makes it a bad idea.

Well, why not just shoot it as a 45GAP platform :confused:

Neither the gun nor the ammo is extinct yet :rolleyes:

And I bet it will remain viable for plenty of years to come, certainly long enough to get plenty of good use out of it if you get a "deal".

If neccessary you can always pop a new upper on it down the road.

Remember He who dares wins. ;)