PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ

abber
September 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
I read a glowing review of the Walther PPQ. Reality check, please. I would like some first-hand feedback. Supposedly, chambered in 9mm, recoil is very tame, and accuracy is reported to be exceptional. This will be primarily a carry gun, but mucho practice with it shall also be the order of the day.

Thanks in advance.....:)

zombieslayer
September 13, 2011, 01:36 PM
From what I understand its basically like a fullsize version of the PPS. If thats the cas then it should be a supreme firearm. But for any kind of real carry, why not get a PPS?

carguychris
September 13, 2011, 02:41 PM
From what I understand its basically like a fullsize version of the PPS.
It's actually a P99 with a new trigger assembly and a minor facelift. (FWIW the discontinued S&W SW99 was also based on this gun.)

The bad news is that it now has a swinging trigger-safety "dingus" a la Glock.

The good news is that, based on trying it at the gun shop, it has The. Best. Factory. Striker-fired. Trigger. I. Have. Ever. Tried. :cool: Short, crisp, very little creep, very little overtravel, and the reset is so crisp and short it will make you tremble in awe; the reset is like a SIG SAS pistol with the SRT trigger. :cool: To be fair, the trigger's not quite as light and creep-free as a high-end 1911 or a SIG SAS in SA mode, nor is it quite as light as a competition-tuned Glock or M&P, but IMHO it beats both the latter pistols in the creep, overtravel, and reset department.

I have not fired a PPQ, but I want to.

dkm455
September 14, 2011, 06:13 AM
I've tried just about all the polymer guns out there, and the PPQ is hands-down the best one I've had. Very accurate, and easily the best striker trigger I've tried. The only thing I can't speak to is long-term reliability since the gun is so new. That being said, so far I like it better than any Glock, H&K, FN or SIG plastic gun I've shot.

Try it, you'll like it. ;)

JohnO
September 14, 2011, 08:56 AM
Haven't had a chance to fire one, but have handled them. Carguychris explained it about as good as anyone can.

I'm sure long term reliability on them is fine. It's nothing more than a modified P99. They were/are fine guns.

18DAI
September 14, 2011, 09:52 AM
I despise striker fired tupperware guns. I shot the PPQ 9mm and purchased one. The only polymer striker fired pistol with a real trigger. Head and shoulders over that M&P, and better than Glocks too. Crisp, short and with a distinct reset too.

GREAT trigger! SUPERB accuracy! RELIABLE!! WELL BUILT!! Not bad looking either. If Walther's PPQ gets the exposure it deserves it will convert alot of Glock fans and kill sales of that lousy M&P pistol, IMO of course. Regards 18DAI

chris in va
September 14, 2011, 04:37 PM
Just gotta get used to the mag release.

priler
September 14, 2011, 05:09 PM
the mag release is also great. it is the exact same release as on the p99 AS. it is because of the p99 AS that i have reversed the release on all my autos except for those with ambi release and now routinely use my trigger finger for mag changes.

think about it. how many pistols do you have? inevitably,there will be some that you have to shift your grip on in order to press the release with your thumb. further,when using your trigger finger for mag changes,you can't have your finger on the trigger at the same time.

it's possible though that some of you may not have as flexible a finger as some.certainly the release on the p99/PPQ is easier than a button and walther has even extended the release to make it even easier,but it's amazing how one pistol(p99 AS) has cause a shift of technique across the board for me,including having a TDA trigger by which i measure all others.

balance
September 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
The PPQ is a P99 with a different grip and trigger.

Slide: PPQ left - P99 right

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_0785.jpg

Frame: PPQ left - P99 right

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_0786.jpg

Striker Assembly: PPQ left - P99 right

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_0784.jpg

This is as clear as I could get the pictures on the camera I have.

The pink stuff if grease as the PPQ is now my carry pistol after firing it side by side with my P99 and P30, which were my previous carry pistols. I find that I can shoot the PPQ more fast and accurately than either one.

Also, the trigger on the PPQ is nothing new. The PPQ trigger mimics the SA trigger of the P99, and is mechanically released the same way on both pistols, only it has a heavier take-up up until the break, due to a heavier guage trigger return spring as you can see in the picture showing the frames. All the people talking about how good the PPQ trigger is, have been missing out on the P99 AS trigger for the past 15 years. :D Unless of coarse they don't like DA/SA pistols.

Some other (possibly useless) information, the slides and barrels of both pistols are interchangeable, as are the newest generation P99 mags, but not the older ones that have a shallower cut on the front face for the feed ramp of the barrel.

A P99 upper can be placed on the PPQ and the pistol and trigger will function in the exact same way as with the original PPQ upper. Putting a PPQ upper on a P99 frame will give the P99 an H&K LEM style trigger, but better, with a long and light trigger pull up until the break, everytime, and with the same short reset as a P99 or PPQ. I wouldn't recommend firing or carrying either one this way, because it was not factory recommended, but it was interesting to me that this could be done.

These pistols are very similar, and the only mechanical difference I can see, is that the trigger stroke is shorter on the PPQ and there is no notch on the trigger bar or striker assembly on the PPQ for a DA mode. I have put more than 5k rounds through my P99 with the only jam being on a 147gr round of MagTech that had no gun powder. It is a very reliable design. As similar as they are, I don't believe the PPQ will suffer from any design related issues anytime soon.

Something you should consider though, is that while there is little recoil, I find that the P99 and PPQ have more muzzle flip than any other pistol their size. And while this doesn't effect my shooting, it may be something for you to consider.