PDA

View Full Version : First Guns

jhudock
September 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
My wife and I have recently decided to get into shooting. We've been talking about it for 10+ years, but have been deterred by NY states permit laws, but have finally decided to take the plunge.

One of the strangest parts of the very byzantine NY (Westchester specifically) is that you are required to buy a gun before your permit application, which then sits with the dealer until your permit is approved. Since it will be paid for up-front and sit with the dealer for 6+ months I wanted something relatively inexpensive, so I've decided to go with a Ruger MkIII .22 after reading these and other forums for a couple of months, both for cost and ease of use/fun aspects.

Once we get our permit I intend to immediately add a 9mm and a revolver, probably .357 so I can shoot .38 at the range.

I've read lots of forum posts, online reviews, watched numerous Youtube reviews and have come to the following conclusions.

Currently the 9mm I've narrowed down to (in approximate order):

Glock 17, Sig P226, HK P30, Walther P99.

For the revolver, I'm down to:

S&W 627, S&W Model 60 and though not .357, I really like the S&W 629, especially in the Pro line, although its pretty pricey.

Opinions? Suggestions?

We are not experienced shooters, gun use will be primarily target/sport, but HD as well.

Price is not a major consideration, but it still is one. That's why I'm thinking the HK and the S&W 629 might be good 2nd 9mm/revolvers after we're more experienced, before spending up. I'm also aware that a gun that I like (I'm 6'3, big guy) may not be right for my wife. Unfortunately there are very few places in NY to go try pistols in your hand (in fact its illegal without a permit). We might take a trip to PA and try to hold some there.

daliff89
September 13, 2011, 12:43 PM
i imagine you'll get some people that will tell you that you don't want to learn on a Glock because of it's 'bad trigger'

i say if you're going to get a pistol to be your first large caliber pistol, you might as well get the lowest priced, quality piece you can, and out of that list it's the Glock

you're going to get lots of people recommending that you get the G19 instead of the G17 too, but i find that i don't get as much hand on the compact Glocks as i do the full-size Glocks

either way, you need to go hold them to see if they fit your hands

Brian Pfleuger
September 13, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'd say your choices are sound and well researched. Good first choice, likely can't go very wrong with any of the listed additions.
Welcome to the addiction. :)

lcpiper
September 13, 2011, 12:59 PM
Compact and subcompacts are almost universally a mixed bag of compromises. If you are not going to carry it, get a full sized.

RamItOne
September 13, 2011, 01:10 PM
Vote for P99, I have the QA .40 , have shot 4,000 rounds at least, and put 500 through it the first day I had it on the range. No failure of any kind other than a few groupings I wasn't proud of. I'm no expert but consistent 1" at 7 yards and 4" (10 shot) groups at 25 yards. I got the one made in Ulm Germany, not the US made one. Had to since half of my family is from Ulm.

Ultimately it's up to you. Feel them, find a range that rents them. Prolly won't find a walther or sig for rent but def the glock and maybe the hk will be for rent at the few ranges that still rent (gotta love lawyers)

C0untZer0
September 13, 2011, 01:15 PM
The only thing I would say, is that if you are looking at the Glock 17 primarily for target / sport, I would look at the Glock 34 and the 17L instead.

The 17L is a perfectly good night stand gun, but IMO it's a lot more fun at the range than a 17.

The 17L has a longer sight radius and it hardly recoils at all. And for a HD pistol I think it's great, I can deliver a lot of rounds on target with that thing.

I mainly use it for bullseye shooting at 25 and 50 feet, trying to get the smallest shot groups I can. But I was goofing around with it at the range and decided to do rapid fire at 10 feet one handed, and I was really impressed with how small the shot group was.

So anyway - that's just a suggestion for the Glock part of your arsenal...

C0untZer0
September 13, 2011, 01:16 PM
Oh ya - I forgot:

Don't try to learn on a Glock - the trigger sucks!

C0untZer0
September 13, 2011, 01:19 PM
I would bet that your average person could pick up a Walther and dry fire it and have the sight picture remain unchanged.

I doubt the average person can pull the trigger on a stock Glock without the front sight taking a dive or jumping to the right...

jr24
September 13, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'd throw my opinion on the P99; great gun for new shooters. The whole list is pretty good I'd just suggest trying the Glock first. I personally can't stand shooting them, and am glad I determined that before I bought one! Might work for you, and that's great too.

Hard to go wrong with a S&W revolver if you can pony up the dough.

zombieslayer
September 13, 2011, 01:33 PM
I vote P99as.

Robk
September 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
Very partial to Sig myself. The P226 is regarded as one of their best products. Would never hesitate to get one, or one more in my case :D. Never owned a Glock, just don't like the grip angle, but again, also reagrded as a very fine pistol. Have fired my friends G19, very nice, and accurate, just not my cup of tea. Never had a chance to hold or shoot the other 2, but also fine choices from what I have read. Guess you just have to see which feels best for you and fits the role you have in mind for it best. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with a difficult choice ;)

C0untZer0
September 13, 2011, 01:36 PM
Or - you can spend the extra money to have someone like Vanek put a trigger kit in the Glock 17L

It does increase the price of the pistol... but it gets rid of that really horrible trigger on what otherwise is a nice longslide.

DBLAction454
September 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
My vote is for the HK P30. Or even the P30L (longer barrel and more exposed hammer)

I own a HK USP .45 and its the BEST .45 polymer I have ever fired. I carry it everyday. There's just something about HK that makes them feel more refined and they have insane reliability and great accuracy but it isn't heard of as much because they are more expensive but you get what you pay for.

HK has great customer service and they are quality made weapons.

Goodluck with your decision