PDA

View Full Version : concealed carry resources

checkmyswag
September 13, 2011, 12:50 AM
Looking for info on how to carry a semi-auto for concealed carry.

Looking for the best online resource for such info.

Would like to learn about carry styles and holsters.

BarryLee
September 13, 2011, 10:17 AM
Have you tried using the search option on this forum? Almost any issue you can imagine and some you can’t have been discussed here.

checkmyswag
September 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
I have searched. Looking for one stop shopping.

There is just too much here! (which is a good problem)

Mokumbear
September 13, 2011, 09:23 PM
I hear you. I have spent literally years researching the topic and
I still consider myself in the learning phase.

There is a magazine out there now that focuses on concealed carry.

You need to consider the climate of your area.
Cold weather allows for a lot more options for concealment.
My issue is that I live in a subtropical climate and need something very concealable.

Take the time to research, look at some other forums.
Try to avoid winding up with a lot of holsters or guns that didn't meet your needs.

For me and my climate, my favorite is carrying a 9mm Walther PPS in an IWB holster.

If deep concealment is necessary in the hotter months or I need a gun that I can carry after work w/o a lot of fuss, I find that the Kahr P380 works well.
I can slip it into my pocket while stopped at a light or driving, if necessary.
Just be aware that the Kahr has a 200 round break in period so you are going to need patience and spend some money on ammo.

Research, research, research. (Enjoy and have fun).

zucchi
September 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
My years of research and practice can be summed up by quoting Socrates, "The more you know, the more you don't know."

Conceal carry of a firearm is something that needs to be tailored to the individual. Some will swear by "this" gun and "that" rig... well, that's what works for them. One comment I found that stayed with me all these years is, "you'll end up with your own 'bucket' of holsters" by the time you come up with your own gun+rig combo. One thing that guy didn't say was you'll also end up with a nice collection of handguns :)

I won't bother telling you what my combination/system is because you're not me and it may not suit you. I will tell you that you shouldn't cheap out on the holster/rig. Another comment someone made that stayed with me was, "after you spend several hundred dollars on a gun that's supposed to save your life when you need it, why would you balk at spending more than twenty-bucks for a holster?" After all, you're betting your life on a holster that will allow you to quickly access then draw your weapon without snags, drags, or hangups of any kind. In other words, no matter what gun you have, if you cannot get at it and draw it quickly and reliably when you need it then you may as well not have it with you at all.

Just a little food for thought...