PDA

View Full Version : I traded my Glock for a.....

Mercenary
September 12, 2011, 07:27 PM
Just curious as to what former Glock owners traded their once beloved Glocks in for. Please answer in the following format.

What did you have?

What did you trade it for?

What influenced your decision?

fsmitka
September 12, 2011, 07:33 PM
Traded in my model 19 for a High Power. After a few weeks of FTF's and stovepipes, I traded the High Power for a Glock 17. I have found Glocks to be the most reliable auto I have owned without question. Even my Smith model 60 jammed up one time,needed to be taken apart to fix.

AK103K
September 12, 2011, 07:41 PM
1) About 20 years ago, I had a first gen 17 and a couple of 19's.

2) Went back to a Colt Commander.

3) The 17 had a reoccurring problem with the trigger not letting off when pulled, even after multiple trips back to Glock and having it declared fixed.

That 17 and how Glock treated me at the time with the repair, soured me on them for a long time. Took me about 20 years, but Ive since got over it. After getting tired of fiddling with the 1911's, and a short stint with SIG's, I went back with Glock, and they now have pretty much replaced all but a few of the others.

PunchinPaper
September 12, 2011, 08:01 PM
I traded this G26.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x427/Punchinpaper/45478c7d.jpg
For this 629.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x427/Punchinpaper/691adf47.jpg
For hunting!
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x427/Punchinpaper/38571a25.jpg
I loved the little Glock and I do miss it, but I couldn't pass up the 629!! I've always wanted one.

chris in va
September 12, 2011, 08:04 PM
My 21SF will probably get swapped for a CZ 97b here soon. While the thing is dead reliable, I can't get used to the weird grip angle, and really don't want to go with a grip reduction, which seems like a Frankenstein fix for something Glock should have designed in the first place.

Deaf Smith
September 12, 2011, 08:51 PM
Punchin,

I'm a might partial to the 629 to, but I favor the 4 inch version.

Still trade a Glock for it?

HECK YES.

Look guys, I am a Glock man. Pack'em every day and I swear by their reliability, but I've got plenty and would be happy to trade one for a good 629 or Ruger Redhawk!

Now I said trade ONE, not trade them all.

But I do respect Glocks.. and 629s to.

You did well Punchin!

Deaf

PunchinPaper
September 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes I traded my G26 +3 mags for the 629 and a box of ammo.
I like the 4" my self, but the 6" has treated me well.
All in all I'm a happy hunter!!

Mercenary
September 12, 2011, 10:16 PM
I forgot to mention that even if you traded a Glock for a Glock, please post as well. My neighbor traded his G30 for a G26. He said the G30 was too bulky when he would CCW. Now he says the G26 is hardly noticeable.

Discern
September 12, 2011, 10:22 PM
For a hunting revolver, I like at least a 6" barrel. Some states require the barrel be at least 6" for hunting.

irish52084
September 12, 2011, 10:22 PM
I traded my Glock 32 for a Springfield XD 4" in 357SIG.

I traded it because I ended up liking the XD pistols better. It was a lot of little things about the XD that I liked over the Glock. One of my pet peeves with the compact and sub-compact glocks is that on reloads I pinch my hand between the mag and the frame pretty regularly. I also dislike the stock slide and mag release glock uses. It shot well and functioned perfectly, but in the end the XD was maore comfortable and fit me better. Strangely enough, I have no issues with the mag pinching my hand on a full size glock, just the smaller models.

Catfishman
September 12, 2011, 10:44 PM
Another Glock
21 for a 20 SF

Carry_24/7
September 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
All out sold it in putting together a better CCW "program". No Glocks anymore.

10mm4ever
September 13, 2011, 02:12 AM
Traded both a G19 and 34 towards Beretta 92s. Was sick of plastic pistols, reliability problems and the terrible grip of the Glock. Couldnt be happier and added my 3rd Beretta a few months ago. No more cheap plastic and stamped metal for me.;)

AZAK
September 13, 2011, 02:26 AM
Having had a number of Glocks in .45 auto and 10mm auto over the years, including a G29 which was my main carry pistol for over seven years, I replaced them all with Colts in .45 acp and 10mm and haven't looked back.

BikerRN
September 13, 2011, 05:13 AM
Traded a Block 36 for a 686+.
I have since traded that one as well as it wasn't a "keeper". Those are two of the very few I have traded.

Biker

Micahweeks
September 13, 2011, 08:04 AM
I have a G35 and G23 and carry them daily. I used to have the G22 and G27. I didn't need a second full-sized duty weapon, so the G22 went toward getting my wife's first revolver, a S&W 66. I hated the G27. I don't like sub-compacts. My hands are just go big for them. It got me a Jericho 941, a gun I really wish had more aftermarket support.

moose_nukelz
September 13, 2011, 08:55 AM
I picked up a full size M&P in 9mm to replace my Glock 23. I really like my Glock but the M&P feels and shoots so much better and I was going broke shooting .40 caliber

TheNocturnus
September 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
I traded my Gen 2 Glock 23 for a Gen 3 Glock 22. Great trade up IMO.

Dave T
September 13, 2011, 10:05 AM
I traded a 2nd Gen G22 plus magazines and some ammo for a Dan Wesson PointMan 7 in 45 ACP.

Got rid of the 40 S&W Glock because I prefer the 10mm and 45 ACP Glocks I still have.

Dave

kokopelli
September 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
I went in reverse- sold a Colt Defender and bought a Glock 36. Durable, fool-proof, feels great in the hand, and I can throw it in the dishwasher to clean it!

OcSpeed
September 13, 2011, 01:34 PM
I went the other way, traded a Kimber tleII for a glock 21 & 17, then bought 3 more glocks among other types of guns.

amd6547
September 13, 2011, 01:42 PM
I went the opposite way too...after getting a used Glock 30 and loving its accuracy and reliablity, I decided I needed a 9mm Glock for cheaper practice...traded a Beretta 92FS I was tired of for a Glock 17OD...liked that so much, I subsequently picked up a Glock 26...

graysmoke
September 13, 2011, 01:44 PM
^^^ He traded up - His Kimber or a Glock....Awesome!

Those Kimbers are too overpriced.

threegun
September 13, 2011, 02:24 PM
Traded a Glock 17 once for an Automag III. Immediately sold the AMT and bought another Glock only a 19 profiting over 200 dollars.

Traded all my 40S&W Glocks for other Glocks in 9mm and 45acp.

Traded a pair of G-20's gen 2 for a pair of 21's gen 3.

Traded all of my remaining generation 2's for gen 3's

I'm sure there are others in between but I've only traded a Glock for another gun if there is a profit to be made or if it helps me get upgraded to a newer Glock.

Roland Thunder
September 13, 2011, 02:42 PM
I picked up a full size M&P in 9mm to replace my Glock 23. I really like my Glock but the M&P feels and shoots so much better and I was going broke shooting .40 caliber

I did almost the same thing except I traded my Glock 23 in on an M&P 45c. I liked my Glock too but I couldn't shoot the .40 S&W very well. My accuracy is much better with the .45 ACP. In fact, I am more accurate with the .45 than I am with my 9mm (Sig 226), not sure why.

If I get another 9mm, it will probably be a Glock 19 or an M&P 9c

mrray13
September 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Bought a G19, just to have, traded it in on a G30sf, as a back up for my 21sf.

Traded the G30 for a G23, as a back up to my then issued G22.

Sold the G23, took that money and bought my SAR K2-45.

Bought a G21sf, to use as a duty weapon.

Sold the G21 outright, when I started at a department that issued weapons, the G22 mentioned above.

Glocks are great duty pistols, but don't, IME, create an emotional attachment. They are what they are, even customized, and as such, are easily replaceable.

YMMV.

deadcoyote
September 13, 2011, 02:58 PM
I traded a Glock 21 for a Glock 31 (Large frame 45 full size to full size regular frame 357 sig). 21 was just too big. Then I traded the Glock 31 for a glock 27 for carry. Glock 27 was too small for my giant self so I swapped it for a Glock 23. Now I'm like goldy locks, its juuuuusssst right.

threegun
September 13, 2011, 03:00 PM
I did almost the same thing except I traded my Glock 23 in on an M&P 45c. I liked my Glock too but I couldn't shoot the .40 S&W very well. My accuracy is much better with the .45 ACP. In fact, I am more accurate with the .45 than I am with my 9mm (Sig 226), not sure why.

Same here between my G-21's and G-19's. I believe its the fatter frame aligning my finger with the trigger better. Everything is the same except more recoil and fatter grip. I doubt MORE recoil is to blame for BETTER shooting so that leaves grip size.

postmaster
September 13, 2011, 04:00 PM
I traded a Glock 26 for a ruger sp101. After 3 months I sold it and bought.................you guessed it .........a Glock 26.

Timbow
September 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
I traded my Glock for a High Point and I'm sure glad I did! All that Glock did was jam every 3-5 shots and half the parts in it broke. My Hi Point has been flawless through 50,000 rounds and I carry it every day! :D

JWT
September 13, 2011, 04:41 PM
Swapped my G22 Gen 3 (+ some cash) for a Sig 226 Equinox.

Never liked the way the Glock fit my hand. Did not like the recoil because of the gun fit. The Sig is heavier, fits my hand well, and I don't notice any recoil.

threegun
September 13, 2011, 04:50 PM
I traded my Glock for a High Point and I'm sure glad I did! All that Glock did was jam every 3-5 shots and half the parts in it broke. My Hi Point has been flawless through 50,000 rounds and I carry it every day!

Got any more Glocks left LOL?

Timbow
September 13, 2011, 05:03 PM
Depends if you got any more Hi Points ;)

threegun
September 13, 2011, 05:17 PM
Brother if I can turn Hi-Points into Glocks I would be God like. I will get brand new ones for you LOL.

Heck I might even through in a year prepaid life insurance premium in case them Hi-Points fail on you.

Timbow
September 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
Haha, I must say that would be close to the equivalent of water to wine.

sils79
September 13, 2011, 05:30 PM
I traded my Glock 27 straight up for a sig 239, I kinda feel bad for the guy. Yeah well, it was his idea and my win.

jmstr
September 13, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'd like to trade my glock 22 for an M&P .40, but can't find anyone to trade locally.

zebco
September 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
I sold a Glock 26 and bought with the proceeds a M&P 9 compact.

Wish I hadn't.

I will be probably buy another 26 or Ruger SR9c in the future.

(I don't have the M&P any more either.)

moose_nukelz
September 13, 2011, 11:14 PM

If/when I start reloading I will probably pick up an M&P 45c

jmstr
September 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
zebco, Wish I hadn't.

I am NOT trying to start any bashing or trolling, but I am genuinely curious about why you say that about the m&p 9c?

If you don't want to go off topic but want to reply, you can pm me. If you don't want to elaborate, that's ok to. I'm just curious.

zebco
September 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
I am NOT trying to start any bashing or trolling, but I am genuinely curious about why you say that about the m&p 9c?

If you don't want to go off topic but want to reply, you can pm me. If you don't want to elaborate, that's ok to. I'm just curious.

Not a problem at all, and I don't think it's necessarily going off-topic. It was simply a matter of the trigger on the M&P. I have become more comfortable with the Glock trigger and couldn't really get used to the trigger on the M&P. I know people talk about some Apex thing for the trigger, but why should I pay extra for that when it turns out I'm just fine with the Glock trigger after all without any aftermarket tuning or adjusting. I thought I would like the M&P better because of the ergonomics. It does shine in that area, and the overall size is fine for CC.

Keep in mind I'm not a Glock "fanboy." I have just come to appreciate them for what they are over the last couple of years. When I first started buying guns I vowed to never own a Glock. Had such contempt for them. The great thing about this is there really is a lot to choose from. If someone likes the M&P better, then great. If someone likes the Glock better, then great also. There should be something out there for everyone.

jmstr
September 14, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have become more comfortable with the Glock trigger and couldn't really get used to the trigger on the M&P. I know people talk about some Apex thing for the trigger, but why should I pay extra for that when it turns out I'm just fine with the Glock trigger after all without any aftermarket tuning or adjusting..

Fair enough, and an excellent point. I completely understand not wanting to spend $100+ more than the Glock for an M&P with a good trigger [counting the Apex setup].

I am like you: no fan-boy of Glock. I don't think I'm a fan-boy of any specific firearm, I like them ALL! Like you I was not interested in Glocks. I just got my first one a few months ago.

I was just telling someone yesterday that if there were 4 handguns on the table that I had never fired or seen fired [and all were supposed to work fine], one of them being a sub-$1000 1911, one being a Browning Hi Power, one being a Beretta 92 and one being a Glock, all chambered in .40S&W, and I had to pick ONE in a split second to use to save a life, I would grab the Glock. I think the odds of a failure to fire are lower on the average with it.

That said, they just don't stir my soul. They are reliable, accurate, functional, and leave me yawning. I'd rather have to tweak my Hi Power as it fills me with more pleasure. Heck, it isn't the plastic aspect either-my M&Ps make me happier. I can't put my finger on it. HOWEVER, they are EXTREMELY good pistols at saving your life and I will NEVER put down their abilities. I just wish I could like them more. Something is holding me back. Can't figure it out.... although the overly enthusiastic fanboys don't help,that's for sure. but that's also true for any other pistol make/model.

zebco
September 14, 2011, 11:03 AM
People do tend to have some sort of emotional attachment to their guns. Some people have the same sort of thing when it comes to Mac vs. Windows. I think sometimes it's a way to try and justify their purchases in their own minds, and in some way to get approval from others.

I don't care about such things. I consider a handgun to be a tool. Not much more. Sure, they are fun to practice with, but at the end of the day I have them for self-defense. A Glock is just that, a tool. It does it's job well. What more could I want? They do lack "soul" if you will, but that's ok. I don't have that emotional attachment to any gun. I understand completely what you said about not being able to get overly excited about the Glock. As another poster said earlier, they are what they are.

There are so many guns to choose from these days and I would actually like to own one of everything.

loose_holster_dan
September 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
a slightly burnt t-u-r-d.

jk jk

actually just traded my cz p-07 duty for a g19

Walt Sherrill
September 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
I traded my Glock 34 for a well-gunsmithed M&P Pro 9mm (Work done by Speed Specialties.) I still had/have a Glock 35. I like this particular M&P Pro about as well as any gun I own -- it is simply superb. The 34 was pretty good, and the 35 is probably the best .40 I've owned. (I once had a CZ-40B that shot about as well, however.)

Toney
September 14, 2011, 11:45 AM
Had my first glock for around 2 months before i sawpped it for a S&W 15-22.
It was a trade in g21, the gun was alright, very simple. A monkey with a nail could take it apart for you. I thought the 21 was too big, think maybe a smaller one would'nt be to bad.
I had planned on replacing the disco untill some one at the range let me shoot their race gun with the 3.5 disco. I was'nt inpressed. The trigger was lighter but it had a lot more creep than the factory set up. YEP 1911s rule!!!!

Datguy781
September 14, 2011, 04:25 PM
Traded a G26 for a Para G.I. expert. Traded the Para for a XD45 compact. Then bought a Glock 17 and lusting after a 34,26.

Chris_B
September 14, 2011, 05:21 PM
I went in reverse- sold a Colt Defender and bought a Glock 36. Durable, fool-proof, feels great in the hand, and I can throw it in the dishwasher to clean it!

Remind me to not eat at your house ;)

BrittB
September 14, 2011, 07:35 PM
Got rid of a Gen 3 Glock 17 for a Ruger LC9. Never had an issue with the Glock but needed to sell it to get the Ruger. Miss it very much but I can conceal the LC9 easier. Damn, that G17 was a great gun!

leathermarshmallow
September 14, 2011, 09:30 PM
I traded my Model 23 for a Saiga 12 shotgun. I traded my Model 30 for a XD40. I am going to trade the XD40 for another model 23, or 27 or 19 or 26.

Jack Bauer
September 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
I've had several Glocks, none "beloved." My first was a Glock 22, sold so I could get a Sig P220. Since then I had a Glock 23, Glock 21, Glock 30, Glock 19, and a Glock 27, not in that particular order. I got rid of all of them in favor of other, better guns, mostly M&Ps. I much prefer the M&P over the Glock. For me they have better ergonomics and better triggers and I just plain shoot them better.

Mercenary
September 19, 2011, 08:05 PM
Anyone else?

HKFan9
September 19, 2011, 08:57 PM
Traded a Glock 17 for a SA Loaded 1911 and never looked back.:D

Sulaco
September 20, 2011, 03:04 PM
What did you have? 3rd Generation GLOCK 19

What did you trade it for? 3rd Generation GLOCK 20SF

What influenced your decision? There's no replacement for displacement. ;)