PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 fs or CZ 75b

kst8fan
September 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
I have the chance at a local gun shop to buy a used Beretta 92 fs or can order a brand new CZ 75b. I know the Beretta has an excellent track record and have heard a lot of good things about the CZ 75b. Those of you who have expierence with these guns, could I get some feedback on these. 9mm is what Im wanting and I can get either for about the same price. The CZ will be about $50.00 more. I know, get both right?

pgdion
September 12, 2011, 06:25 PM
Yea, get both! New vs new I'd get the 92FS hands down. Both are nice and shoot great but the Beretta has a nicer fit and finish. The barrels on the CZ's always look a little rough to me. If the Beretta fits your hand, it's the nicer gun. Used Beretta vs a new CZ though, I think I'd lean towards the CZ then. It's the safer bet.

surveyor
September 12, 2011, 06:35 PM
depends on which fits your hand better, and what type of saftey you like, as far as decockers, on the Beretta I like the fact that there is no way that the hammer will contact the firing pin when used, as it rotates the firing pin out of the way.

both are DA/SA the safteys are reversed though, up for fire on the Beretta, down for fire on the cz (non decockers atleast) cocked and locked can be done on the cz, but not on the baretta..

both good choices though..

I almost got one, but the decocker and up for fire thing was too much for me to overcome, as others are all 1911 type safteys, so that's the route I went..

kst8fan
September 12, 2011, 06:57 PM
Had the beretta 92 in my hand today, and as always, fits great. I know I would love the beretta and I haven't shot or even held a CZ. I just can't get the CZ out of my head. Something is telling me to get it but I know the reputation of the Beretta. Maybe both is really what I need!!!

MC 1911
September 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
Get the CZ and don't look back!! You will be happy! :D

vikingextreme93
September 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
I have both and really like both but the CZ75 to me is the superior handgun. Love the feel in my hand, like the trigger and I like the sights better but that said I do not think either is a bad choice. Personally buy whichever one you can find on sale now and then keep your eye open down the road for the other one at a good price, thats what I did :D

predecessor
September 12, 2011, 08:04 PM
Yea, get both!

What he said. There is no reason not to own both. Start with one and add the other later as funds permit.

chris in va
September 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
This question gets asked at least once a week. Only you can decide what works better for your needs.

Personally I find the 92 to be absurdly chunky for the caliber it shoots.

jmr40
September 12, 2011, 08:11 PM
I've owned both. Didn't care for either. But if forced to chose I'd much rather have the Beretta. CZ makes a good range gun, but is one of the few guns I wouldn't trust my life to.

MLeake
September 12, 2011, 08:16 PM
I owned both, in the past, and no longer have either one. Both were excellent guns, though, as far as accuracy and reliability went. Both would eat any 9mm ammo I could feed them.

Subjectively, the CZ fit my hand better. I like its grip shape, especially with the coke bottle grips. DA reach on the CZ was a bit longer, DA pull on the Beretta was a bit heavier. Both were excellent in SA mode. The CZ75B allows cocked and locked carry, and has a frame-mounted safety, so those features also would bias me toward the CZ. (But you might like DA/SA with slide mounted safety/decockers, for all I know.)

Both guns are kind of heavy, as carry guns go, but neither is excessively heavy. I used to be a big fan of all-metal guns; I recently shifted toward more polymer - heresy, I know - partly because all-metal guns are significantly (30% or so) heavier. The Beretta is thicker than the CZ, but they are more similar than different as far as concealability goes. (In fact, my CZ fit rather nicely in a Beretta 92 leather holster...)

So, the only objective factors (to me) would be that the CZ has cocked and locked capability and a frame-mounted safety, while the Beretta is DA/SA only and has a slide mounted safety/decocker. The other factors are subjective, as I have no idea what grip and trigger reach feels best to you.

Good luck; either way, you'll get a good pistol.

Boats
September 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
I've owned both and only the 92 is still kicking around.

The Beretta is more refined.
Spare parts are easier to find.
Magazines are less expensive and come in a greater variety of options.
More supported aftermarket for things like holsters, sight options, grips, and threaded barrels.
More reliable in my experience.
Easier to field and detail strip.
Easier to modify the trigger pull, just buy a "D" model mainspring, use a punch and five minutes of your time and you drop about two pounds off of your trigger pull with no loss of reliability.

AustinTX
September 12, 2011, 08:39 PM
I prefer the Beretta all the way, but getting both is indeed the best answer. :D The Beretta is easily a smoother and more refined pistol. I haven't cared at all for the stock triggers on the CZs I've shot, and I suppose I'm turned off by the somewhat rough interior metalwork. I also had reliability issues with both of the rental CZs I shot, but I gather that this is not the norm. I don't think there's any question at all that the 92 bests the CZ in the reliability department, though.

Here's a prior thread on this that might have something useful for you: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424845.

Marquezj16
September 12, 2011, 09:19 PM
I looked at both when I was looking for my next 9mm. I ended up buying the 92FS because it had a better fit and finish. It also felt more solid. It has been flawless and just love it!

ftballgod
September 12, 2011, 11:37 PM
Go with the beretta. Still one of my fav. guns.

10mm4ever
September 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
Love both the Beretta and the CZ and have both. Both of these pistols are at the top of the 9mm combat pistol food chain. That said, I feel the Beretta edges out the CZ slightly in the reliability dept. But then again, the Beretta is the undisputed king of reliability.

American Eagle
September 13, 2011, 02:26 AM
The Beretta open top slide is as classy as it gets. Love my baby Beretta (Cheetah 85FS) and I can't wait to own a Beretta 92 or 96 some day.

Major Beef
September 13, 2011, 02:55 AM
Love both the Beretta and the CZ and have both. Both of these pistols are at the top of the 9mm combat pistol food chain. That said, I feel the Beretta edges out the CZ slightly in the reliability dept. But then again, the Beretta is the undisputed king of reliability

First time I've heard Beretta being praised for unrivaled reliability. Learn something new everyday I guess...

AustinTX
September 13, 2011, 03:00 AM
First time I've heard Beretta being praised for unrivaled reliability. Learn something new everyday I guess...

Interesting. Seems to be a pretty common experience with the 92 series pistols on the forums I read, this one included.

Nordeste
September 13, 2011, 05:42 AM
The Beretta is reliable, no doubt on that. It has proven to be so. Personally, I've shot more than 500 rounds through mine without cleaning, just to see what happened, and nothing happened. Ammo were different kinds of FMJ and JHP, mainly Magtech, Fiocchi and Santa Bárbara ammo.

It's a tough decision between those two. If you can't have both :D, try at least to shoot both. That said, I prefer how the CZ fits my hand and IMO, has the better trigger. In due honesty, I have to admit that the CZs I've shot were SP01 Shadows, a version that has been slightly tuned with IPSC competition in mind but that is still being sold as a service weapon as well. I haven't, though, had a close comparative look on the two of them side by side, or disassembled them so as to find out which one of the two has the better finish or is easier to disassemble.

I like CZs a lot. They feel solid and have excellent ergos, less muzzle flip than the 92FS. However, I carry a 92FS on duty every day and love it, and as other fellows say, I like a lot the fact that it has a firing pin safety, which not all CZ75 models do, and having both a decocker and safety lever. This is very personal since others would prefer the CZ's ability to be carried cocked and locked (and you can always decock your gun manually with your safety engaged) but I like to have a decocker to do this for me just in case I'm under stress.

Try to shoot them, get the one you feel more comfortable with. You can't go wrong with either of them.

MLeake
September 13, 2011, 06:51 AM
A lot of people came away with bad tastes in their mouths for the Beretta due to substandard magazines the government bought.

Use Beretta or Mec-Gar magazines, and the 92 is extremely reliable.

MLeake
September 13, 2011, 06:54 AM
Nordeste, I'm curious, how are you decocking a CZ75B with the safety on?

On mine, I had to put my weak-hand thumb under the hammer, then pull the trigger, letting the hammer down onto my thumb. Take finger off the trigger, then slide thumb out from under hammer, letting hammer go to the half-cock.

I didn't think there was a way to do that with the safety engaged on the B; how are you doing that?

Pilot
September 13, 2011, 07:04 AM
Many years ago I choce the CZ-75 line of pistols over the Beretta 92 as my "go to" DA/SA 9MM. I like the ergos of the CZ's much better. The build quality, while not quite as well finished as the Beretta is excellent, and the accuracy and reliability for me as been stellar. I also can't stand the placement of the safety on the slide of any gun, plus it works the opposite to all my other pistols, which is another deal breaker for me.

CZ offers more versions of their 9MM pistols also, so you can choose full size, compact, all steel, alloy frame, polymer frame, targer variations, etc.

Walt Sherrill
September 13, 2011, 07:38 AM
CZ offers more versions of their 9MM pistols also, so you can choose full size, compact, all steel, alloy frame, polymer frame, targer variations, etc.

I've had Berettas and prefer the CZ, myself -- but there are many variations of the basic Beretta 9mm/.40 design, including ones capable of cocked and locked, etc. They make more than just the plain vanilla 92.

The Berettas ARE more nicely finished -- but most of the "more nicely" stuff is in areas where it looks good, but adds NOTHING to function or reliability. If you want a nicely finished CZ, buy a Sphinx. (Used, it'll cost you about twice as much...)

shabodah
September 13, 2011, 07:46 AM
Can see a reason why no one has brought up the EAA/Tanfoglio Witness and Taurus PT99. Each being a clone of the two models discussed here, but with there own alterations. Personally, I like the broad amount of options on the Witness and I appreciate the frame mounted safety on the Taurus, not to mention the fact it has more metal parts today than the Beretta.

Of course this is from someone that has had a postiive Taurus experience.

Leejack
September 13, 2011, 07:51 AM
This would make an interesting poll.

MLeake
September 13, 2011, 07:52 AM
Well, based on threads in TFL and THR, and inputs from friends who have owned those platforms... the primary answer I'd think of is customer service. EAA reputedly has none; Taurus reputedly is difficult and uneven.

The Witness and the PT92 themselves have decent reputations.

Leejack
September 13, 2011, 08:04 AM
I've been an advocate of the PT92 for many years, but don't get much support here in this forum. I think it's a great gun.

Walt Sherrill
September 13, 2011, 08:04 AM
I've had a number of Witnesses, over the years, and never had a problem -- so never had to deal with EAA customer service.

There have been many horror stories about EAA, but they typically had to do with ONE PERSON at EAA, a senior management type, who involved himself in some warranty issues. Recently, I read (on one of these forums), that this guy is no longer a part of the management team. They should have kicked him out long ago, but he was part of the "owning" family. Their parts people are quick and competent, and the Witness line has some very interesting variants of the their basic design. I have heard that the new larger frame guns don't do 9mm as well as the smaller frame guns, but that's unconfirmed rumor.

My only dealings with Taurus were with revolvers, years ago, and they were OK -- just slow.

CZ has good customer service.

I think only UNUSUAL situations will cause you to need to deal with the CS folks at any of these gunmakers.

Nordeste
September 13, 2011, 08:46 AM
MLeake, mistake from my side. I did shoot a SP01 Shadow (wonderful shooter, BTW) and you're right, the CZ allows "cocked and locked" and to decock you have to do that manually as you describe. The one that allowed decocking with safety on was my old (yet wonderful shooter too) Star 30M.

Sorry for the misinformation.

NJgunowner
September 13, 2011, 09:14 AM
Both are good, I just like the CZ75 better. You'll enjoy either for years.

MaXXimus
September 13, 2011, 09:40 AM
I own a CZ 75B SP01 Tactical and it is one of the nicest shooting handguns I've ever used. These "what should I buy" posts crack me up because many are entrenched in their own biases.

Whenever I look at purchasing a handgun I do my research, narrow down the playing field to a few choices and then test them out. What works for one may not work for another. I have small hands, and that makes a Sig virtually unusable for me. Even though I like their products I won't ever own one.

Between the CZ and the Beretta, I'd rent them both at a range and see which works best for you. I'd take many of the opinions you find online with a grain of salt.

Amin Parker
September 13, 2011, 12:05 PM
I love both guns.

I think the Beretta is an exceptional pistol and so is the cz. I have a Beretta 92 and 3 cz75s and one 75 compact and as many know, i do love cz pistols.

They are equally reliable, equally accurate, the cz has the edge in durability imho.

I will give the cz the edge because it does everything the Beretta does but in a smaller package. It also allows cocked and locked carry.

pgdion
September 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
It's the most reliable gun I've ever come in touch with. Accurate, reliable, eats everything ... that's basically the definition of the 92FS.

My only hesitation if you buy a used one is why is it being sold. But I did buy a used smith 5906 and I have had no complaints what soever (being a police trade in though it took the why is it being sold out of the picture).

Again, if it fits your hand, the 92FS is just about the best out there. It's by far my favorite gun right from day 1.

You won't go wrong with either choice though.

Amin Parker
September 13, 2011, 12:56 PM
I love both guns.

I think the Beretta is an exceptional pistol and so is the cz. I have a Beretta 92 and 3 cz75s and one 75 compact and as many know, i do love cz pistols.

They are equally reliable, equally accurate, the cz has the edge in durability imho.

I will give the cz the edge because it does everything the Beretta does but in a smaller package. It also allows cocked and locked carry.

Robk
September 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
I have recently purchased a used Beretta 90-TWO. I knew why it was there (guy's girl friend just had a baby and they needed money) and it did fit my hand quite well. It's one range trip has been flawless, perfect operation for both me and my wife, she likes it alot and it a 40 S&W. So as far as a used Beretta, as long as you know why it's there. Otherwise go to a Beretta forum and read up on what you may need to do if there is any noticeable wear on the gun. Locking block comes to mind real quick, good for anywhere from 5000 rounds to 10000 rounds. Just never know. But as my first Beretta, I am duely impressed with it. A good choice for me. Now I have yet to buy a CZ, but not like it's not somewhere on the "to get" list though. I have always liked the feel of the grips, but the models I have been able to hold have been awfully heavy for the size. Great at taming recoil, I'm sure, but just not what I want right now. But the SP01 Shadow has brought back interest in them again. I will but one, one day, but am very happy with the Beretta for now. Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you will be happy with either the Beretta or CZ.

AustinTX
September 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
Locking block comes to mind real quick, good for anywhere from 5000 rounds to 10000 rounds.

The current (third-generation) locking blocks will last much longer than that. More like 25,000 rounds and up.

deadcoyote
September 13, 2011, 03:05 PM
I love CZ but if you want to carry it go with Beretta since practically no-one makes a decent holster for the 75. That was my experience at least, just sold mine. But it was a hell of a pistol, shot great and always ran right with the standard capacity mags. I had some early issues with the neutered mags working, once I went to the mags the weapon was actually designed to run with it was 100 %.

Coltman 77
September 13, 2011, 03:49 PM
I bought my first Beretta 92FS in 1989 and have been a fan since.

They are very accurate, ultra reliable and absolutely devour any ammo I've put through them.

Coming from a 1911 background I appreciate how easy they are to take down for cleaning.

I highly recommend them for home defense and the range.

I don't have any experience with CZ handguns other than handling them in the gunshop. Something about the grip size and angle doesn't work for me but they seem to be excellent products.

Good luck OP.

motorhead0922
September 13, 2011, 04:14 PM
I chose the Taurus PT92 over the Beretta 92FS because it has the frame mounted safety, and a year later, I am still completely happy with the choice. It's my HD gun, and I take that choice very seriously. It runs and runs...

I don't know a lot about CZ75, but it does have the frame mounted safety.

I was at the range 2 weeks ago enjoying the PT92, and for whatever reason, it struck me at that time that "this is just a superb gun. Smooth is every way, and perfect trigger pull for me".

kst8fan
September 13, 2011, 04:27 PM
I should mention that whichever gun I buy (maybe both) will not be used as a carry gun. It will mostly be a range gun, and a gun to have a lot of fun with as I just enjoy shooting. Some guys play golf, I shoot and collect guns. Everybody needs a hobby right? I don't have a semi-auto in my collection so it's time to add a 9mm. Maybe time to add two 9mm pistols. I don't believe a guy can have too many guns. There is no such thing!

wwwprof
September 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
Can't speak to the CZ but I can tell you that all my Berettas (I had six) are solid, dependable guns. Of the four I still have, my 92FS INOX is what I am most accurate with. That being said, if you have a range nearby that rents guns, shoot both and see what feels better to you.

Average Joe
September 13, 2011, 06:08 PM
I have both, either will be a good choice.

10mm4ever
September 13, 2011, 06:11 PM
Beretta locking blocks are a common PM item, just as the slidestop with the CZ75. These are parts that take a pounding and need to be replaced at recommended intervals.

Walt Sherrill
September 13, 2011, 06:13 PM
I love CZ but if you want to carry it go with Beretta since practically no-one makes a decent holster for the 75.

Not so. Many companies make CZ holsters, and the CZ-75 fits a Beretta holster just like it was made for the CZ. There should be no problem finding a holster that is compatible.

(When Fobus FIRST started selling holsters for the CZ, they used the Beretta holster as their CZ holster offering.)

The advice above to try both and see which fits you the best make a lot of sense.

zeke
September 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
Sold the 92fs, still have a steel cz75 b. The beretta had slightly better hand fit with the standard grips, and the slide travel felt smooth as glass. The cz has a substancial mechainical accuracy advantage, after you learned the trigger. The locking block on the beretta may functionally last longer now, but the accuracy on mine deteriorated pretty quickly.

The thinner aluminum grips cz offers for the 75 made a signifcant improvement in the hand fit.

AustinTX
September 13, 2011, 09:00 PM
The cz has a substancial mechainical accuracy advantage, after you learned the trigger.

Maybe in your hands, but not mechanically. They're pretty even in accuracy on average. Both are among the more accurate service pistols.

loose_holster_dan
September 13, 2011, 09:01 PM
well obviously get both. short of that, the cz beats all.

stevieboy
September 13, 2011, 10:57 PM
Its obvious from the varied responses to this thread that the choices of the posters are based on subjective factors. Truth is, they're both great guns.

A couple of years ago I made a choice between the CZ75B and the Beretta. I spent a lot of time handling and shooting both guns before I finally chose the CZ. For me, the choice came down to the fact that the gun was more comfortable in my hand. All other criteria were more or less ties.

I've never regretted buying my CZ. It handles every type of ammo that I throw at it, it is superbly accurate, and I've had no malfunctions whatsoever with it, through several thousand rounds. It's as close to 9mm perfection as I can imagine. But, I'm willing to bet that there are a bunch of Beretta owners who will make identical claims about their guns.:D

dkm455
September 14, 2011, 06:37 AM
I've had both and prefer the 92 - just a personal thing I suppose. The fit and finish on Berettas is usually excellent. My CZ was accurate and felt good in hand, and I can't say anything negative about them. Can't go wrong with either.

One of the things I like about the Berettas is how easily they can be customized and played with - there's a bunch of them out there in quite a few different finishes and styles, so mixing and matching to come up with a unique pistol is easy. This is an M9A1 I've been tweaking lately.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/dkm455/m9a1amodserial.jpg

Leejack
September 14, 2011, 08:53 AM
Nice looking gun!

Leejack
September 14, 2011, 08:54 AM
I chose the Taurus PT92 over the Beretta 92FS because it has the frame mounted safety, and a year later, I am still completely happy with the choice. It's my HD gun, and I take that choice very seriously. It runs and runs...

I don't know a lot about CZ75, but it does have the frame mounted safety.

I was at the range 2 weeks ago enjoying the PT92, and for whatever reason, it struck me at that time that "this is just a superb gun. Smooth is every way, and perfect trigger pull for me".

+1 I have many thousands through both 92s.

Martowski
September 14, 2011, 01:03 PM
I own both, along with about 5 other 9mm's. I greatly prefer the Beretta to the CZ any day. Beretta just fits me better (and I have smaller hands), has a shorter DA trigger reach, the smoothest DA trigger pull on any auto I have (not quite as nice as my s&w revolvers but not too far off), and a nice SA trigger pull. Accuracy is top notch as well. The CZ has a less desirable trigger to me, and the DA pull is fairly stiff.

The only reason I haven't gotten rid of the CZ is just because I'm waiting for it to grow on me.