PDA

View Full Version : 1911 question

Fargazer
September 12, 2011, 05:53 PM
I have a 1911 pistol my father used for a carry gun when he worked for the DCI in Wisconsin. It's a pistol he put together himself; it eats Remington Golden Saber flawlessly, but most other ammo will occasionally FTE.

What services could a trained gunsmith perform on a 1911 to allow a wider variety of ammo to feed reliably through it? I'm trying to determine if what I'm asking is a small job, a large job, or one of those "never know till we get into the guts of it" jobs.

BigJimP
September 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
It could just be dirty ....

or it might need springs replaced ...or extractor adjusted or replaced ...
----------------
Its pretty hard to tell ....but it can be fixed ! You need to take it to a good 1911 gunsmith that you trust - let them go thru it / evaluate it - give you an estimate.
----------------------
But -are you shooting reloads - or factory ammo ... ?
Are you shooting 230gr RN ...and what is it ...or is it some other bullet type and grain ?

Aguila Blanca
September 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
If the occasional failures are failures to extract, then you don't have a feeding problem you have an extraction problem. A gunsmith would probably install a new extractor and ensure that it's correctly tuned (tension set properly).

Discern
September 13, 2011, 12:00 AM
It may need a new extractor. Another possibility is a burr or some type of dirt or buildup in the chamber. Are the Golden Sabers nickel plated? Nickel is more slick than brass and not as soft as brass.

checkmyswag
September 13, 2011, 01:33 AM
And this is why I still don't have a 1911.

Like the idea of them, but so many problems!

Maybe that SR1911 will be the one!

Hope you get it worked out and tuned up right.

kurmudgon
September 13, 2011, 08:19 AM
FTE
Fail to extract or fail to eject?

If it's a failure to eject you may just need to drop to a lighter weight recoil spring to shoot cartridges with less energy then the Golden Sabers.

Best, Kur

Hunter Customs
September 13, 2011, 08:22 AM

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the 1911 pistol design does not have problems.
The only problem the 1911 has today is all the companies jumping on the 1911 band wagon, wanting a piece of the pie and mass producing with inferior parts 1911 pattern pistols.

Now to the Fargazer's problem.
If the gun is having failure to eject problems here's some things that need to be checked.

Make sure you are using the correct weight recoil spring, make sure the spring is not having a coil bind issue and make sure the spring is on the spring guide correctly ( the open end of the recoil spring goes to the muzzle end of the gun).

Have the extractor checked for the correct tension and make sure it's not clocking.

Check the ejector to make sure it's tight in the frame.

Have the guns timing checked.

All of the above can also cause feeding problems in a 1911.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

OsOk-308
September 13, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hunter Customs +1.

The 1911 design isn't problematic, it is those who make inferior ones that do. I've never had a problem with any of the 1911's I've shot... except there is a scar on the fat part of my hand from hammer bite. If the 1911 was inherent with so many problems, why was the pistol the military's sidearm of choice for 75 years? And why do Special Forces, and SWAT, and Texas Rangers all trust it as their sidearm of choice?

All of the reasons others listed above could be why your 1911 is failing to eject. If you take it to a good gunsmith, it will be taken care of.

overkill0084
September 13, 2011, 10:10 AM

Problems? The design is solid. This issue could simply be wear or gunk. All guns are subject to wear and/or gunk. Other problematic behaviors are generally due to people being too clever for their own good. Oh, and magazine issues.

NJgunowner
September 13, 2011, 11:00 AM
I have 2 1911's and they both run perfectly. One is over 20 years old, and there are plenty running today with 40,50, and 60+ years.

But anyway, I'd check the extractor. It's probably just worn out and needs replaced.

Get the gun fixed and shoot the crap out of it. 1911's are a lot of fun to shoot.

Edward429451
September 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
Aside from what others have said, an extended ejector never hurt a 1911. The 1911 was designed to feed ball ammo for the Military. It's long been widely accepted that if you want it to shoot any bullet design, then a few basic mods are in order to get that reliability.

Tune the extractor
Polish the feed ramp.
Install an extended ejector.
Lower the Ejection Port.
Slightly relieve the chamber (used to be called throating.)

This was the reliability package that everyone used to do. Nowadays, I don't know what happened. People expect perfection in guns out of the box, but don't hesitate to tune up their new car to get better performance. It doesn't make sense to have unrealistic expectations. I spent about 100 bucks on the above to be done to my 1911 shortly after I bought it in 1984 and now, I can't ever remember having any FTE problems.

michael t
September 13, 2011, 07:26 PM

He said This about his father It's a pistol he put together himself; i

Don't blame 1911's I have trusted my life to one for many years in military and as civilian.

I have several Colts, Dan Wesson, Detonics , and American Classic All work fine.

zucchi
September 13, 2011, 11:57 PM
I had a similar issue with my ParaOrd 1445. I replaced with a Wilson Combat extractor and the problem went away.

popplecop
September 14, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have 1911s in .45, 38 Super, 9 mm and 22 rf. seven in all right now. Have been shooting the 1911s since the Army issued me one 55 or so years ago. As long as I keep them clean and lubricated they function just fin e and I'd trust and have my life on them. Spent 30 yrs. in Enforcement,in uniform carried my issue S&W revolver, plain clothes a 1911 in the colder months. Now I have been retired since Oct of 1988 so they no longer carry revolvers, but now carry Glocks.

Jason_G
September 14, 2011, 06:51 PM
Sounds like extractor tension needs adjusting, or maybe it's clocking.

Jason