PDA

View Full Version : Range Report -- Crimson Trace laser at the range

Rogervzv
September 11, 2011, 07:15 AM
I recently installed a Crimson Trace LG401 lasergrip on my Dan Wesson PM7-45 (a Dan Wesson 1911 .45). Finally got it to the range. The results were nothing short of astonishing. Never have I produced such tight and accurate groups. The laser was very easy to align such that very quickly the tight shot groups were centered on the bull's eye.

One cool thing about having a laser: once you have aligned the laser such that the fall of shot is centered on the target, you can then adjust your iron sights so that the laser is centered in the sight picture. Thus you can use the laser to align your sight. Very cool!

According to The History Channel, the modern notch sight was invented in the mid 1800s. It has endured because it is a robust, simple, and effective way to align the barrel. The late 20th century has given us laser sights and Red-Dot sights, which are superior in many respects. The nice thing about the laser is that it can act as a substitute for, or supplement to, your conventional sights; you can always choose which one to use in a given situation. The CT lasergrip does not interfere with that in the least.

The Crimson Trace grips are attractive and ergonomic. The activation switch is at the front of the grip, and is completely intuitive. Squeeze the grip, and there is your laser dot. The grip itself is attractive walnut and looks terrific on the PM7-45. Of course it will fit any ordinary 1911 pistol:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0373.jpg

Sparks1957
September 11, 2011, 07:41 AM
I love my Crimson Trace grips; I have them on both my Sig P220 .45 and my Sig P229 9mm (my primary weapon).

Not only are they great in low-light conditions, which is when the majority of self-defense situations are most likely to occur, but they are also a great training tool.

I was a mediocre shooter before I got them... the laser has taught how to correlate my sight picture with where I'm hitting. Now I can turn the laser off and get great groupings out to 25 yds without a problem.

Any shooter, new or older, could probably learn a thing or pull about their trigger control by watching the laser move as you dry-fire. Invest in some snap caps and you can learn a lot.

Rogervzv
September 11, 2011, 10:09 AM
Yes, the laser will show you if you are jerking the trigger, or just plain wavering your aim on the target. One of the things I like about shooting with the laser is that you can see when your aim has steadied-up on the target so when you shoot, so long as you don't jerk the trigger, you expect and get a hit.

For pretty much any tactical situation at pistol ranges I think that the laser is the way to go. Even in bright sunlight at 50 feet the laser dot is quite visible, and of course for civilians any real-life shooting distance would have to be much less than that. And most ugly scenarios are likely to occur in dim light or worse.

I put a Crimson Trace on my Ruger Mark II 5.5" bull barrel 22 pistol, and it was a complete kick. It is great fun to drill holes at the center of the target at 35 feet. With such little recoil from the 22 rapid fire is quite practicable.

The ergonomics of the CT laser are terrific. I let my young son try it out, and he used the laser very effectively. After he fired a magazine he asked me how the laser knew to come on when he wanted it to. Of course as he took aim he exerted force on the grip and the laser came on. That is how ergonomic the CT lasers are! (Yes, I know that I should have explained this to him ahead of time and I thought I had. It is very important that the shooter knows his weapon thoroughly before shooting. He was shooting under my close supervision.)

ClayInTx
September 11, 2011, 10:22 AM
I used a laser to cure my shaky aim. I can now quick draw and point shoot a sheet of typing paper at 20 feet without the laser, which is what I wanted for self defense, but the laser is still there if I need it.

Rogervzv
September 11, 2011, 10:30 AM
I am going to train my son to shoot with the laser. He too has a shaky aim and the laser provides instant feedback about this which should help.

The more I shoot with lasers and red-dot sights the more convinced I become that iron sights are obsolescent. They will always be there as a backup, but for me, when shooting a handgun, the laser will be the primary sighting system. I particularly love being able to shoot well with both eyes open which I cannot do with iron sights.