PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR1911

checkmyswag
September 10, 2011, 10:43 PM
If this pistol is as reliable as most other Ruger models and not as finicky as so many 1911's are...

I may look at buying one. Never been into the 1911's, but think I could really enjoy this one.

AustinTX
September 11, 2011, 12:06 AM
All the owner reviews I've read have been positive so far. Looks like Ruger did a nice job.

Jeremiah/Az
September 11, 2011, 01:03 AM
I can't find one!:rolleyes:

phatspeed7x
September 11, 2011, 01:13 AM
From what I've seen they are a pretty nice pistol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RickB
September 11, 2011, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't even consider buying one until they've been in production for a couple of years. Why speculate on an unproven product, when there are so many 1911s on the market?

tahunua001
September 11, 2011, 02:20 AM
rit and finish are very nice. reliability is very high. shootability is very good. but it's a 1911. it's going to be just as finicky as any other 1911 out there.

excelerater
September 11, 2011, 04:13 AM
too few in production , cant lay my hands on one but Id bite
if one came under my nose...Made in USA,great price as allways from Ruger
and Im sure a greatshooter

Dobe
September 11, 2011, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't even consider buying one until they've been in production for a couple of years.Rest easy. I put over a thousand through mine, almost all rapid fire, in a very short period of time. It's a nice handgun.

Gerry
September 11, 2011, 07:44 AM
Sadly it seems Ruger has decided to make their SR1911 out of unobtainium so far here in Canada. We wait...

*NOVA*
September 11, 2011, 08:24 AM
I've been looking for months for a Ruger SR1911 (not exagerating) and found some but I refused to pay anything close to MSRP. The demand for these guns is just too darn high right now, IMO.
Finally got tired of waiting and bought this instead at a LGS - okay, it cost more, but its worth every penny - proven design been in the market for years now. By the time Ruger gets more of their first 1911 out in large numbers where anyone can get one, hopefully I'll have this bad boy paid off. So its not like I don't want the Ruger anymore, I do! My friends are telling me once the 1911 bug bites you, you are hooked for life and can't get enough of them. Who knows? The closest thing I had to a 1911 STYLE gun is my 9mm CZ75 compact, its my CCW in the Winter and its sweet, but I wanted a 45 caliber and here it is:

erob3
September 11, 2011, 09:48 AM
Really like mine. Picked it up when they first came out. Shot it yesterday as a matter of fact, spent some time fine tuning the sighting. The adjustable rear sights are great. It is a great shooter. My take on whether Ruger "did it right" or not can be proven in the fact that no one is selling theirs. If people didn't like them they would be parting with them.

bac1023
September 11, 2011, 10:01 AM
Great 1911s.

Check out my short review of it in my signature. :)

Rogervzv
September 11, 2011, 10:29 AM
Nova, nice S&W 45. S&W makes great 1911s and frankly, the external extractor is a plus with me. By all accounts S&W did a great job with this design.

When the SR1911 came out, I quickly discovered that it is unavailable here in the People's Republic of California because it lacks a magazine safety and Loaded Chamber Indicator. Of course most 1911 aficionados do not want these things and Ruger was listening. By now it is evident that the SR1911 is a fabulous pistol and I would buy one in a second if they were available here in the People's Republic of California.

Anyway, I recently had a bad case of 1911-want, so I went with the Dan Wesson PM7-45: (The S&W was the other gun I considered).
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0373.jpg

Sevens
September 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
...and the PM7 lacks the same things. You can get THAT in California because it's grandfathered in or what?

Charlie_98
September 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
I'm not a big Ruger handgun fan, I've had a number of their SA pistols and have struggled with every one of them, accuracy-wise, and I'm pretty much through with them.

That being said, I did handle the SR at the shop and it seemed like a very well built pistol, at a decent price and MADE IN AMERICA... unlike many of the other 1911's in that price range. Because of that, I would be willing to take a chance on one... were I in the market for another 1911.

Word will be around soon about the performance of the SR as more of them get into circulation, like one of the other posters mentioned... give it a year or two. And, no, I wouldn't pay MSRP either....

*NOVA*
September 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
bac1023 wrote:
"Great 1911s.

Check out my short review of it in my signature. "

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts

Great website! :)

bac1023
September 11, 2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks Nova.

I think its the best 1911 site around.

Rogervzv
September 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
...and the PM7 lacks the same things. You can get THAT in California because it's grandfathered in or what?

Yes, precisely. In fact, I understand that the fact that California allows sales of the PM7 is the only reason that Dan Wesson keeps the PM7 in limited production. That being said, the PM7 is a superb example of the 1911 platform. No magazine safety, no LCI -- it is essentially a type-Series 70 pistol, which works for me. :D

Don't bother telling me how screwed up California is. I already know that. Great weather here though. :cool:

Major Beef
September 11, 2011, 07:26 PM
I can't wait until it becomes more widely available. I've been reading a lot about the SR1911 and I want to make it my first 1911, too bad Ruger is taking so long.

I might lose my patience and pay a little bit more for a S&W E-series or save some money and get a Remington R1. Neither of these options seem to offer the same bang for the buck though.

Any other alternatives I should be considering?

*NOVA*
September 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
Well, for starters it would be really convenient to check out the link on post #17! Most comprehensive site dedicated to 1911s I've ever seen!

bac1023
September 11, 2011, 08:24 PM
Check out my guide.

There are a few great 1911s in the Ruger's price range.

bac1023
September 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
Well, for starters it would be really convenient to check out the link on post #17! Most comprehensive site dedicated to 1911s I've ever seen!

Did you sign up over there yet, Nova?

*NOVA*
September 11, 2011, 10:30 PM
I just did! That makes FIVE gun-related forums I've joined, reckon that makes me a junkie:D Don't care - man I'm learning a lot and don't plan on stopping.

HKFan9
September 11, 2011, 10:43 PM
I have held them, shot them, and sold them to customers. To me there is nothing really special about it. Just one more 1911 manufacturer making a run of the mill 1911. It is not magical, it is not crap either, but really I fail to see where all the hype comes from.

There have been solid built 1911's in the same price range for years... and its a buyers market right now... there are tons of deals on used guns (that might not even be used) right now.

If Ruger makes a blued version in 9mm I would consider picking one up with my Pro Staff discount;)

Major Beef
September 11, 2011, 11:37 PM
Check out my guide.

There are a few great 1911s in the Ruger's price range.

Good read with nice pictures.

I'm seriously considering the Remington 1911r1 now. But being partial to the stainless steel look, if I got the Remington, I'd still want to get the Ruger when it becomes available. However, if I held out for the Ruger or paid a little more for a S&W, maybe I could go longer before feeling the itch to get another 1911.

I've been looking at American made entry level guns exclusively, but I'm starting to be interested in the RIA GI as well. They really need to have you take pictures of their products because the stock images make the gun look pretty unattractive.

Major Beef
September 12, 2011, 01:59 AM
bac1023,

Do you think the Remington 1911R1 is worth the extra $150 over a RIA GI?

And do you think the Ruger SR1911 is worth the extra $100-150 over the 1911R1?

bac1023
September 12, 2011, 07:19 PM
Technically, the Ruger and R1 should be about the same price.

I do like the Ruger slightly more, but they're two different things. The Ruger is enhanced, while the Remington is much closer to GI spec.

I really can't say the R1 is worth the extra money over the RIA.

Jason_G
September 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
Do you think the Remington 1911R1 is worth the extra $150 over a RIA GI?

And do you think the Ruger SR1911 is worth the extra $100-150 over the 1911R1?

This is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth:

The one R1 I handled at a Bass Pro looked sloppy to me. Of course I didn't expect Ed Brown fit and finish on a Remington, but I thought it would be better than it was. That said, it was only one pistol, and it was right after they hit the counters, so maybe it was a bad baseline to compare with. The photos from folks that have actually been able to get the Ruger seem to show a better fit and finish (at least on the few areas you can gauge from a photo), but I haven't seen one in person yet. I think the big determining factor would be whether you want carbon steel or stainless.

Again, that part about the R1 is anecdotal, so try to handle one and judge for yourself if you can.

Jason

Red Dog
September 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
It seems that Ruger invested a lot of money into a product and now are unable to produce that product. This is a poor way run a business... they have been in business for a long time so they know better..... what happened??? Did they run into defects? Misjudge the market?? I read here that people are begging them to take their money.... CONFUSED!!!!

Jason_G
September 12, 2011, 09:03 PM
It seems that Ruger invested a lot of money into a product and now are unable to produce that product. This is a poor way run a business... they have been in business for a long time so they know better..... what happened??? Did they run into defects? Miss judge the market?? I read here that people are begging them to take their money.... CONFUSED!!!!

Well, I think they just misjudged how much demand there would be for a stainless 1911 in that price range. Since DW moved up in the price brackets, the sub-kilobuck 1911 world has heard its share of crickets chirping. Colt has still been around, and so have some other persistent brands, but there hasn't been a really great value in that niche in a while. I think Ruger knew it was a niche that could be filled, I just don't think they knew how badly it needed to be filled. JMHO. They'll probably get caught up soon.

Jason

Dobe
September 12, 2011, 09:12 PM
Give Ruger some time, they'll fill all of the orders. You'll be happy with the Ruger. I have been happy with mine.

Major Beef
September 12, 2011, 10:51 PM
This is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth:

The one R1 I handled at a Bass Pro looked sloppy to me. Of course I didn't expect Ed Brown fit and finish on a Remington, but I thought it would be better than it was. That said, it was only one pistol, and it was right after they hit the counters, so maybe it was a bad baseline to compare with. The photos from folks that have actually been able to get the Ruger seem to show a better fit and finish (at least on the few areas you can gauge from a photo), but I haven't seen one in person yet. I think the big determining factor would be whether you want carbon steel or stainless.

Again, that part about the R1 is anecdotal, so try to handle one and judge for yourself if you can.

Jason

I've seen and heard the same anecdotal evidence as well. I'll have to check one out in person.

But the resident 1911 guru isn't exactly giving it a ringing endorsement. I may have to get me a RIA GI until Ruger comes to their senses and pays the electric bill at their factory.

Update: I hate this thread. I just ordered a RIA GI from Buds. And pre-ordered the Ruger SR1911 with Impact Guns.

*NOVA*
September 13, 2011, 05:41 AM
"Update: I hate this thread. I just ordered a RIA GI from Buds. And pre-ordered the Ruger SR1911 with Impact Guns. "

I'm on probably a dozen waiting lists, including two LGS and the rest online. Got on Impact Guns about a month ago - have not heard anything.

Why do you hate this thread?

Artie
September 13, 2011, 05:43 AM
I've had a SR1911 since june, and IMO it is well worth every penny. I have no experience with the R1 outside of handling it, but I think the fit and finish of the Ruger is much better. I really don't think anyone will be disappointed in the SR1911, if you can find one. I don't know what Ruger's deal is on production, but it's pretty obvious from reading around on different forums that they are losing sales to other manufacturers, because people go out to buy the SR1911, and they can't find one, so they pick up something else instead. I know places that placed an order for a couple of SR's in April when they first were released, and they still have not received them, and have no clue when they will. That's poor business by Ruger IMO. They should have came out and told people the truth, which is that as of right now, this is actually a limited production gun.

*NOVA*
September 13, 2011, 07:20 AM
/\ /\ This +1.

tahunua001
September 13, 2011, 07:53 AM
It seems that Ruger invested a lot of money into a product and now are unable to produce that product. This is a poor way run a business... they have been in business for a long time so they know better..... what happened??? Did they run into defects? Misjudge the market?? I read here that people are begging them to take their money.... CONFUSED!!!!

they never publicized it. I have never seen a single piece of advertising material for it. the way I found out about it was by stalking the ruger sight reading up on the SR9. you cant really blaim them. they released a gun that was probably meant to be sold off referals than major ad campaigns but it spread faster than they expected. it's a stainless only, 45 only, band new(to the company) untried design. the market just wasn't supposed to be there. I've never given any 1911 a second glance until I saw it and I must say...I want one however I learned my lesson with my first pistol. It was one of the first XDM45s to roll into the US and spent about $150 more than I would have if I would have waited a year. so I plan on waiting until april(1 year) and hopefully they will have other options available by that time and I will actually have to decide what kind of readily available SR1911 I will have to get. no company has ever been fully prepared for a new release but many gun stores compensate low supply by gouging prices...nobody did that with the SR1911(hence $600 price tags vs MSRP of $800)

*NOVA*
September 13, 2011, 10:49 AM
Quote: " they never publicized it. I have never seen a single piece of advertising material for it..."

It was reviewed in The Ameriacn Rifleman, published by the NRA.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/ruger-sr-1911-review/

OJ
September 13, 2011, 11:05 AM
Ruger did some good things - but had some spectacular failures too. Does anyone remember the P85???

It was so bad, the entire line had to be recalled and reproduced as the P89.

Does anyone remember who first voiced the advice to limit the capacity of magazines to ten rounds as some kind of safety measure?

I have some Rugers that were good from the start but, also, a fair number that didn't function as advertised until returned for fixes.

Major Beef
September 13, 2011, 07:10 PM
"Update: I hate this thread. I just ordered a RIA GI from Buds. And pre-ordered the Ruger SR1911 with Impact Guns. "

I'm on probably a dozen waiting lists, including two LGS and the rest online. Got on Impact Guns about a month ago - have not heard anything.

Why do you hate this thread?

This thread touched me in a naughty spot and made me feel more excited about the 1911 than I ever was. Actually, bac1023's review thread takes most of the blame.

I hadn't planned on getting a 1911 any time soon. When I first read the thread, I was doing research. When I finished reading it, I had one on the way to my FFL and one on pre-order.

bac1023
September 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
This thread touched me in a naughty spot and made me feel more excited about the 1911 than I ever was. Actually, bac1023's review thread takes most of the blame.

Glad you liked it :)

dahermit
September 13, 2011, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't even consider buying one until they've been in production for a couple of years. Why speculate on an unproven product, when there are so many 1911's on the market? There are two reasons why I disagree with you. First, Ruger has been making the parts for other companies 1911's for years. So they have worked all the bugs out of the manufacturing processes for the 1911 long ago.
Secondly, when Ruger has screwed the pooch in the past is with products that they have engineered themselves. The products that they have copied from other's inventions have proved to be outstanding. The original 3-screw single actions were Colt copies. The M-77 Rifle was a copy of a commercial Mauser. The 1911 is of course, a very successful John Browning design. It is not likely they could screw it up.
Nevertheless, the biggest problem with the SC 1911 is where to find one.

tahunua001
September 14, 2011, 01:14 AM
There are two reasons why I disagree with you. First, Ruger has been making the parts for other companies 1911's for years. So they have worked all the bugs out of the manufacturing processes for the 1911 long ago.
Secondly, when Ruger has screwed the pooch in the past is with products that they have engineered themselves. The products that they have copied from other's inventions have proved to be outstanding. The original 3-screw single actions were Colt copies. The M-77 Rifle was a copy of a commercial Mauser. The 1911 is of course, a very successful John Browning design. It is not likely they could screw it up.
Nevertheless, the biggest problem with the SC 1911 is where to find one.
I dont know about the m77 being a mauser clone but I will agree, copycatting other people leaves a lot less room for error than building from scratch and ruger has always done very well with their copycat guns

It was reviewed in The Ameriacn Rifleman, published by the NRA.

I've never read the rifleman so that's an honest mistake on my part. however that review was written in late July, more than 3 months after they were released and well after the meager supply had already dried up.

tension
September 14, 2011, 02:59 PM
Just put another 100, trouble free, rounds through mine today. They are worth the wait. Mine has about 600 rounds through it.

federali
September 14, 2011, 05:07 PM
I bought the S&W 1911 after reading many reports of total reliability. I'm very happy with mine and from a few feet away, I don't think you could differentiate between it and a Ruger 1911. Ruger makes tough guns,for the most part. I have no doubt that the Ruger 1911 will be a fine gun. I might have strongly considered it had it been available. I'll just stick with my S&W.

If you're using a 1911 as a night stand gun, consider a McCormack 10 round mag. It sticks out the bottom but who cares. The magazine is totally reliable in my S&W.

*NOVA*
September 14, 2011, 08:55 PM
Good for you! Bought my SW1911 last Friday and I agree with you they look very similar to the SR1911