PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR9C and S&W M&P 9 Compact

Sgt.Fathead
September 10, 2011, 09:23 PM
Okay, here I go. Opening up a GIANT can of contention. I have started posts seeking valid input and I get opinions, conjecture and hearsay. I don't want opinions from anyone who does not fit the criteria specified below, thanks much!

My wife and I are going to begin carrying the same firearm in the interest of redundancy regarding parts, compatibility, caliber, accessories and the like. We have narrowed our choices to the Ruger SR9C and the S&W M&P 9 Compact.

1) I want to hear, please, from only those among us who own, operate
and carry these two Makes and Models!
2) I am looking for any and all Pros and Cons of these two platforms and
suggestions regarding carry ammo, holsters, night sights, etc.
3) I do not want to hear how your caliber of choice, make or model is
better. I don't. I'm a big fan of .45 ACP and .357 Magnum. I like other
brands of shooters. I am asking about these two models, thank you.

So, again (and again) thanks for the input of those who know and carry these guns. Not those who shot one and couldn't stand it or those whose uncle's cousin's college roomies half-sister likes hers. Thanks.

Don Glock
September 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
m&p.

chadk7
September 10, 2011, 09:54 PM
I vote m&p as well. Mine is a .45 but it is my favorite polymer pistol. I really like thw way it feels in my hand. The 3 different palmswells, backstraps, whatever you want to call them really help to make this gun fit like a glove.

I have not owned or shot the ruger but it seems like a very good gun as well. I thought about getting one but never got around to it. I did hold it and dry fire it and it seems to have pretty good ergos, and the trigger was pretty good. From what i remember it seemed a little more slim in the grip than the m&p but i don't know if it really is or it was just me.

I think with both of them you get quite a bit for the money. Both companies have great customer service.

K_Mac
September 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
I went with the SR9c. It was a bit cheaper and I shoot it better. I am happy with my choice.

checkmyswag
September 10, 2011, 10:03 PM
I like both.

stolivar
September 10, 2011, 10:26 PM
Either would be fine.

steve

tahunua001
September 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
they are both good guns. that said my next CC gun is going to be an SR9C.
while I was doing research I asked this same question on XDtalk and one guy gave me a spread sheet with back to back to back comparisons on the XDM9C, M&P9c and SR9C. I know you aren't looking at XDMs but you can just ignore the farleft column if you want.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AgRu4ETGEskvdGJUa0NwMFNFeXVtWXBiR2NiRm9kOEE&output=html

good luck with your decision. there really aren't any measureable pros and cons to either of these guns asside from the SR9 has the mag disconnect safety so it cant fire without a mag unless you remove it. other than that, they are both reliable, accurate, same type of manual safety lever, made in USA and both have excellent customer service and warranty incase anything ever does happen.

at first there weren't a whole lot of accessories for the SR9C but nowadays it's not too hard to find mags, holsters ETC so it is now a very viable contender.

Sgt.Fathead
September 11, 2011, 12:06 AM
I appreciate most of the input and that chart is great, too. We are in fact leaning towards the SR9C at this point, mag disconnect removed, and I appreciate all the opinions of those who own and shoot these platforms!

Keep it coming folks!

AZAK
September 11, 2011, 03:21 AM
Trigger on the SR9c is the best of the poly/striker world "straight out of the box" that I have shot. Overall I prefer 1911s, yet have managed to really enjoy this Ruger.

Basically an Officer's size pistol, with same basic controls, just weighing in a bit less; in actual weight and cartridge.

Can't chime in about the M&P except that I have not purchased one due to the "poor/mediocre" trigger; again, I love my 1911s (with 'smithed triggers), and my Jewel and Volquartsen triggers.

stickhauler
September 11, 2011, 03:43 AM
I'd agree that the SR 9-C trigger is great right out of the box. I've never shot the M&P, but hear good reports on it. I'd carried a XD-9 and a Glock-22, but when I grabbed my SR 9-C, I fell in love with that little pistol, it became my usual carry. Way lighter than either of my other carry firearms, and I shoot it better than anything I own other than my 1911.

excelerater
September 11, 2011, 04:10 AM
having owned both Ill take my SR9s over an M&P all day long
Better trigger makes it a more accurate shot IMO.......I also like the construction better....
Only draw back to a ruger is they dony make squat for aftermarket accys for thier guns,a fault of rugers prolly for not allowing companys to make parts which is why SR9s dont sell like hotcakes and glocks sell 100x more

skoro
September 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
I have the M&P9c and it's a fine pistol. That said, I'm sure the Ruger is a good one, too. Try them both and see which one is the better fit for your hand.

Rogervzv
September 11, 2011, 09:54 AM
Here in California the M&Ps do not have slide safeties while the Ruger SR9cs do. That would be important to me. I think a slide safety is important to have.
(Please excuse the comment; I do not carry any firearm per your criteria as I live in the People's Republic where only the Party faithful can get carry permits so let me disclose that.)

WWWJD
September 11, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have owned a M&P for three years now, and I love the pistol; reliable, yet to malfunction in any way. However, if you do a side by side of the SR9C and the M&P, and considering that you and your wife will be carrying the same firearm, I think the SR9C wins. You get a mag/grip option for hand size, and for concealment, I think the SR9C has better lines.

I was recently looking at these for my parents, and these were my personal conclusions. I have no doubt that from a "functions that matter" perspective, neither pistol would win; they're both going to put a hole where you decide to aim and squeeze. The SR9C does have a few nice bells and whistles though. If I had to buy one today, I think I'd go with the Ruger.

Anyways....

ESI Agent
September 11, 2011, 01:09 PM
Own and carry a SR9c great firearm. Sold my Glock 26 when I got the SR9c. :D

Jack Bauer
September 11, 2011, 07:41 PM
I vote M&P, because I don't care for the SR9-series triggers. Back when the SR9 was new, they had a trigger that was great...then someone decided that it wasn't safe or something and they recalled them for "upgrades". I thought about not sending mine in, but all reports indicated the new trigger was better that the original, and you'd get a new magazine to boot! So I sent mine in, and when it came back, I hated the trigger. I traded it away and got myself an M&P. Then I got more M&Ps. I have an M&P9 compact and .40 compact. While I haven't had a chance to shoot the .40 yet, the 9c has the nicest trigger of any polymer pistol I've ever owned (including Glocks, XDs, HKs, Rugers) and it's more accurate than I am. I will be carrying mine (when our CC law takes effect in November) in a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder OWB holster.

Sgt.Fathead
September 12, 2011, 03:45 AM
Again, thanks for all the input! I appreciate all the input. I've gotten some good information. I own a full sized M&P 9mm so I know the intricacies of the platform, it was the compacts I was interested in :}

The info I needed was who carries and how they handle. We've shot both. Thanks again.

AZAK
September 12, 2011, 02:20 PM
The info I needed was who carries and how they handle.

I carry the SR9c on a fairly regular basis. The lighter weight, thinness, similar operating controls to a 1911, nice trigger, good accuracy, and the factory supplied two different mags are all contributing factors.

About the heaviest that I normally carry is a Colt Delta Elite and the lightest that I carry is the Ruger LCP. The SR9c is a nice "in-between weight" in a fair sized pistol. Officer's sized with the smaller mag without the weight of an all steel pistol. Government sized feel when using the 17 round mag. (Granted, the balance is different using different mags, and the balance is different than with the steel Colts; however, training is a good thing and not a deal breaker.) I prefer range time using mostly the larger mag, better balance; but practice with both mags, as I carry with both mags, depending on where which mag is actually inserted in the pistol with which ammo.

I prefer 147 grain flat nose/truncated for most carry; but on occasion carry 124 grain gold dots (not +p) in one mag. Remember that I also regularly carry 1911s in 10mm and .45auto and do subscribe to "bigger/heavier equals better" as a general rule regarding pistol rounds.

All of my carry pistols either have no external safety (LCP) or have a thumb safety that operates in the same direction for on/off (1911/SR9c). I like to keep confusion to a minimum in a carry pistol; don't want thumb safeties that operate in similar directions with different results! Also, want essentially SA or DAO; one consistent pull each and every time.

My favorite holster for this Ruger is off of the Ruger website:
http://shopruger.com/Mitch-Rosen-SR9c-Holster/productinfo/50166/
Carries great on my body. One can use a number of different holsters that are made for different pistols (some G26 holsters "work") but after trying several the Mitch Rosen express line off of Ruger's site has become the main one that I use. Retention is very positive for a leather holster. (Although out in the bush I take this pistol out using an Uncle Mikes just for the retention strap and the nylon construction.)

I have some nice 1911s that I carry and shoot regularly; however, if I am out boating/snowgoing and thrashing through the brush I either have my stainless Delta Elite or my SR9c with me. And because of where I live in Alaska I also am carrying a hunting rifle or shotgun and bear spray. We always have something in hunting season year round and bears are not true hibernators; they can/do manage to get up and walk around a bit during the Winter.

YMMV

jmstr
September 13, 2011, 12:38 PM
MY opinions, based only on MY experiences. May not match anyone else's experiences.

In-Hand Fit/Feel: Both feel good in my hand, but I give the nod to the M&P9C due to two factors: the frame to slide fit seems a bit tighter and the adjustable rear backstraps fill my hand better. The SR9C felt nice, but the rear backstrap was too narrow and the thick rubber on it felt too weird for my tastes. M&p9C with small grip feels better.

Availability of accessories or after-market parts: I think the M&P9C has more, but am not 100% positive.

Out of box trigger: Nod to SR9C. No question. HOWEVER, if you are willing to spend the $, the APEX DCEAK setup makes the M&P9C feel better than the SR9C: it just adds $85 to the cost [if you install it yourself]. Of course GHOST makes a trigger connector for the SR9C also-just never tried one.

Price: Nod to SR9C.

Accuracy: both are more accurate than I am.

Reliabilty: a tie again. I LOVE Ruger pistols overall. I have 3 and want to swap my 629 for a SRH to make it 4. They have always been EXTREMELY reliable. I've had no problems with my M&P9C either.

Looks: Subjective. YOU DECIDE!

Balance in hands: Subjective. You decide.

Fun factor: tie.

Save my Butt factor: tie.

I personally kept the M&P9C as it was the right one for ME. Your mileage may vary.

jr24
September 13, 2011, 01:04 PM
I had to choose between these two not too long ago. I went with the SR9c for the following reasons:
- I liked the trigger better (But I have never yet tried a M&P w/ APEX kit)
- Fit MY hand a bit better, can't explain why.
- I like the external saftey on the Ruger, functions as easy as a 1911 and I prefer a manual saftey for striker guns (mental thing I know)

Because I went with the Ruger, I cannot speak for M&P's ease of carry, but they were close to the same size (SR9 felt thinner) so I'd think they would carry the same.

The SR9c carries very easily for me, generally under a t-shirt or buttondown, IWB with either a crossbreed or MTAC, with very little bulging and pretty much no printing unless the shirt is pretty tight (I'm 5'8", 200 lbs with a few too many beers for my own good down in my gut). Its very light and comfortable to carry. Easy and comfortable to carry all day, usually my spare mag is the one that bothers/pokes/prints for me.

For its size its a really soft shooter and has quickly become my favorite range gun, but you said you've already shot em. So my 2 complaings (slight) are:

- with the little "pinky extension" on the 10 round mag, somehow that point is the part that bulges the most on me, but I much prefer the pointing/shooting of having it on there so I deal with it. I'd rathered they went with the triangle "ramp" type extension of the M&Pc. I'd figure they could have shoved a few extra rounds in there too while they were at it.
-- I'm hoping some day an aftermarket floorplate extension will fix this minor quibble

- Lack of available spare mags is annoying me right now too; out here in the bush I cannot go to a LGS often, and online sources have been backordered for spare mags forever. If someone knows of a place that has them IN STOCK I'd love to know.

That all said, when I decide to get a compact .45 I'll look at the M&P again, unless Ruger decides to release a SR45c (which I really, really, really hope they do).

Sgt.Fathead
September 13, 2011, 06:45 PM
Those last three posts are EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks! A wealth of information.

Eghad
September 13, 2011, 06:50 PM
Trigger on the SR9c is the best of the poly/striker world "straight out of the box" that I have shot.

I agree 100%

ShaulWolf
September 14, 2011, 04:56 PM
I had been looking for a new pistol for CCW purposes and was leaning towards the M&P. I hadn't even thought of the SR9 until I saw this thread. Lots of useful information, and now I'm going to have to find one to test out.

This may be off topic, but is the SR40c much different than the SR9c? I'm thinking along the lines of thickness, felt recoil, etc.

humanoid
September 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
I have the 4.25" M&P and the trigger was not very good at all until I put a Apex action kit in it. Now it is awesome. I hear the Ruger trigger is sweet out of the box. Someone correct me if I am wrong.