PDA

View Full Version : Glock magazine disassembly?

Coach Z
September 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
I picked up two police trade in glocks yesterday, a 17 and a 27. I'm tearing them down to clean them as they're really dirty and for the life of me I can't get the base plate off the mags??? What am I missing, press the pin and slide it off right?

Feeling a bit slow this morning:confused:

AK103K
September 10, 2011, 11:46 AM
If you look down the side of the mag (both sides), where the mag body meets the base plate, you'll see two little "tabs" (one on each side) at the top center of the base plate. You need to press the mag body in at those points to get the little tabs to clear.

Now, some will tell you its simple, and others will tell you maybe not so (Im one of them :) ). After trying to use all manner of things (channel locks wored the best, but still tore the mags up), I got one of the GTUL mag tools (http://www.mygtul.com/) and things have been great ever since.

Look around on youtube too, Im sure youll find a couple videos on the matter.

Uncle Malice
September 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
I found it near impossible at first too. Now that I'm used to it.. I can pop them off with no problem. You don't need channel locks or special tools. A glock tool, or any punch small enough to fit in the hole will work just fine.

It'll take a bit of force, but it will pop off just fine. Just make sure that you push straight down and not in a prying angle, or you may break the punch.

This video may help:

http://youtu.be/ToYxVPv989w?hd=1&t=2m

Seven High
September 10, 2011, 12:06 PM
I have used a small padded C clamp to push in the side tabs when I take off the base plate. It works very well. I use scrap leather for the pads.

Coach Z
September 10, 2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys, got the bastard off!

Those locking tabs seem like major overkill seeing as though the spring is holding it

03clyde
September 10, 2011, 04:39 PM
Absolute PITA!!

Don Glock
September 10, 2011, 04:47 PM
yeah glock put little tabs on the side of their magazines that can make it a pain in the ass to disassemble.

i found my own solution though: take a C-clamp, put tape around the ends to protect the mag from scratches, tighten the clamp on the sides of the mag right where the tabs are, then use a small screwdriver or glock tool inside the floorplate hole and slide the floorplate off. works every time :)

lee n. field
September 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
I picked up two police trade in glocks yesterday, a 17 and a 27. I'm tearing them down to clean them as they're really dirty and for the life of me I can't get the base plate off the mags??? What am I missing, press the pin and slide it off right?

Press the pin in, SQUEEZE the sides of the magazines in at the base, and slide the base forward.

FWIW, I've never been able to get the base off my 10 rounder (Califnordica magazine).

SDC
September 10, 2011, 05:58 PM
The way thy teach you to do it in the armourer's course is just as shown in Uncle Malice's video; just stick the Glock tool into the baseplate hole, and use it as a pry bar to pop the baseplate forward. The first time I saw someone do this, I thought they were trying to BREAK either the mag or the tool, but it works, and quickly, and doesn't require any other tools (no clamps, squeezing, or other BS).

7jinxed7
September 10, 2011, 06:12 PM
I just use a punch the size of the hole. Insert the punch say..1/4" in the base plate hole. Lay the mag on a table with the base plate hanging off the table. With the front of the base plate pointed toward the ground shove on the punch toward the ground while holding the body with the other hand. Very quick and easy and most importantly it works every time. I've never tried squeezing the base plate before.

It's pretty much like he did in the video except it's flat on the table.It's just easier using the table to take the force instead of trying to hold still with your hands.

AK103K
September 10, 2011, 06:19 PM
If you plan on taking them apart on a regular basis, and dont mind dropping $20 for the GTUL, I think youll find its a lot easier on both you and the mags. No prying, squeezing, cussing and carrying on, just slip it on, depress the button, and slip the base plate off.

bufordtjustice
September 11, 2011, 03:48 PM
I JUST went through this yesterday as well when I switch out 8 baseplates on my G17 mags for the +2 ones.

I ended up placing them in a vice, two mags at a time. I used two thin blocks of wood between the mag bodies and teeth of the vice to keep from marring the mag and tightened them down just enough so that they would move.

I was careful to not damage the mags by slowly working the vice until it would hold the mags in. If it moved at all while trying to get the base plate off, I would tighten a hair more. Also, I placed the magazines low in the vice so only a small portion was sticking up.

tomwalshco
September 11, 2011, 04:08 PM
After my first 2 episodes of taking them apart to clean, I just shaved the little tabs off. No problems after 3 years. Never come apart. A little over-engineered for non-combat applications me thinks.....

Don Glock
September 11, 2011, 05:26 PM
i don't think anyone even noticed the simple resolution i posted earlier :eek: LOL