PDA

View Full Version : taurus , taurus or springfield ?

x3m
September 10, 2011, 04:53 AM
I currently have a first gen Taurus PT111 9mm para
great little gun that hasn't given me a day's crap in over 5 years.
I use it for one purpose only concealed carry , I shoot with it on a regular basis , but not serious shooting , just clapping cans from the hip and that kind of stuff.
Now for some strange reason I feel like it's time for a new gun and I have three in mind.
PT 24/7 G2 or 740-taurus slim or do I shell out big bucks and buy
springfield xdm because that is the three that rings my bell.

I would like to get input from guys who actually own one of the three , shoot them regularly and can tel me the pro's AND the cons of it. :cool:

Mrgunsngear
September 10, 2011, 05:14 AM
I have a 709 and have never had any issues with it. Great little gun that doesn't print, easy to clean, and is reliable. No complaints here.

iMagUdspEllr
September 10, 2011, 05:18 AM
Stick with either of the Taurus's if that is what you are used to.

BuzWeaver
September 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
I have a Taurus Millennium Pro PT111 and an XDM 9mm 3.8". My personal preference is the XDM, its just designed a lot better and far more ergonomic. The Taurus really has a lot of concussion, which contributes to my novice flinching.

The Taurus size is excellent for conceal carry, however I just like my XDM a whole lot better. My personal choice and I would have gotten one, however I needed another CC, is the XDM 5.25.

I'll certainly get a 5.25 at some point because its just an amazing shooting gun.

x3m
September 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
is the xdm, double action only ?

TheNocturnus
September 13, 2011, 04:47 PM
I had a PT111 for a while but it would fail to eject even after I got the ejector replaced. As much as I didn't trust the gun it would shoot straighter than a laser, deadly accurate in other words. It's too bad it didn't function right, it did feel nice in my hands, but it had to go.

dalegribble
September 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
i have a pt-145 larger version of the pt-111 that i love. when i feel i need to carry a more concealable gun i have a taurus 709 slim, it is a joy to carry and doesn't print. both guns are accurate and reliable.

BuzWeaver
September 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
is the xdm, double action only ?

Single action.

stoney64
September 13, 2011, 09:23 PM
I have the 24/7 (.45) and until about a month ago I had the XD (.45)
I gave the XD to my Son it was still NIB (1 year in my safe), I like the 24/7 better, it felt better in hand, it has safe/de-cock and second strike which I thought was a gimmick until our trip to the range and the XD had a light strike on re-loads which may have fired with second strike.
The XD is a great pistol, shoots real nice I just liked the Taurus better.
don't know about the 740 never touched one

stoney64
September 13, 2011, 09:27 PM
let me clearify, I gave the XD to my Son only because he was daily carrying a 60 year old Colt 1911 in .38 super, AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH! not because I wanted to get rid of the XD just because I wanted to save an heirloom.

x3m
September 14, 2011, 08:49 AM
stoney is the 24/7 DAO , DA or SA ? I have first gen pt111 DAO , I don't think I will ever carry a pistol that is not DA or DAO , In my valley there is no time for cocking , you carry one up or you might as well not carry at all :D

ET.
September 14, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have owned a pt-111 mil pro for 3-4 years now with no problems. My Taurus Judge Ultra-Lite has been flawless but my TCP needs to go back to Taurus for work. Even though I've had good success with Taurus I went to Glock (21sf & 27) & S&W (M&P 40 Pro) for my new CC & HD guns. I knew that the reliability of Glocks & M&Ps are more reliable than Taurus over all. LEO's don't carry Taurus guns in this country for a reason. The torture tests that the different LEO departments have subjected Glock & the M&Ps to proved that to me. Spend the extra money up front on a more reliable handgun. You will appreciate it later on.

Sensai
September 14, 2011, 10:55 AM
The 24/7 is what Taurus calls DS. It's double action on the first round (if you've decocked it) and single action after that. The "double strike" just means that you can try again in double action if the round doesn't go off the first time.

loose_holster_dan
September 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
i don't know about the g2, but the g1 24/7 pro is a piece of trash. i love my xdm tho.

stoney64
September 14, 2011, 01:11 PM
^^^^^^^
a perfect example of an ignorant response
what does your XDM do that my 24/7 doesn't?

Bamashooter
September 14, 2011, 01:15 PM
I have the 3rd. gen PT-145 and so far its been a great gun. Its easy to conceal, it holds 10rds. of .45acp, its reliable and accurate. On the other hand upgrades are always good.

jayhan
September 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
just purchased a springfield xd tactical 5 inch barrel great gun picked the xd over the px4 primarily because the xd had a steel trigger and guide rod and was actually 20 bucks cheaper . was actually a little dissapointed in beretta when a saw the plastic guide rod trigger and decocker

BRE346
September 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
I carry a pt-111. I'm working up a 24/7 compact as an alternate. I had a Springfield XD-9 that I thought was just a little big for carry. All these guns are reliable. Sometimes I wish I still had the XD.

tahunua001
September 18, 2011, 02:09 PM
I would go with the XDM just because of personal preferences and personal experiences. howeve if a taurus is what you're used to then a taurus would probably serve you best. as per trigger questions
the taurus website states that the 24/7 is a DA/SA trigger. there actually was a little argument on a thread relating to the XDMs trigger and since there is no substantiating information on the XDM trigger I emailed springfield and they sent me this back:

The XD trigger is neither double or single action. It is classified as a striker fired action, which resembles a single action trigger, more closely than it does a double action trigger mechanism. The slide must be actuated to reset the sear and the striker. Simply pulling the trigger will not allow striker to fall, if the slide has not been reset. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

so even though it doesn't fit either double or single action criteria it's operation is closest to single action.