PDA

View Full Version : Sig 1911 model suggestions?

Micahweeks
September 9, 2011, 09:38 PM
So, as many of you are aware, I decided to buy a Sig 1911 as my second 1911. I already found a good duty holster and a concealment holster, so I know I can carry whatever I buy now. The question is which model to buy. Looking at the specs on the Sig website doesn't provide much information contrasting the different models. Which would you buy, and why? I'm looking at the full-size models.

SPUSCG
September 9, 2011, 09:41 PM
Traditional reverse 2 tone. I like how it looks.

RamItOne
September 9, 2011, 10:52 PM
I bought the traditional match elite two tone, took a dump on me at 100 rounds (first day) , I'm still happy with the way it shot. I believe the ambi safety got gnarled up inside. Sig has been great so far, will get it monday and gonna go to the range tuesday. It looks great, feels great and shot great up untill it broke lol.

If your trying to conceal or just have a low profile then the C3 is the way to go. I wanted a more traditional size, otherwise I'd have gotten the C3 or Kimber CDP.

Micahweeks
September 9, 2011, 10:54 PM
I looked hard at the Traditional models, but I decided to go with the Sig look since I already have a traditional style 1911. I haven't seen the reverse two-tone, though. It was the one model that had no picture.

WC145
September 9, 2011, 11:05 PM
I'd have to go with the TacOps if you don't mind a rail, lots of good reviews out there.
I spoke to the SIG LE rep about a Traditional TacOps without the rail but no go, too bad, I'd snag one of those if they made them.

Aguila Blanca
September 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
If you are firm on wanting a SIG, I can't offer any advice. If you were to give me a SIG 1911 today, I'd have it sold by tomorrow. SIG Arms doesn't have a clue on how to build a reliable 1911. They never should have tried.

Micahweeks
September 10, 2011, 01:49 AM
If you are firm on wanting a SIG

I am.

nate45
September 10, 2011, 02:18 AM
I have the STX, as an example it compares favorably to the Springfield TRP in function and feel. It has great reliability, accuracy, fit and finish. I've had it now for four years, or so and shot thousands of rounds with out a malfunction. If you google 'Sig 1911 review' you will find the majority agree.

I put on some checkered walnut grips and jeweled the barrel hood, just to be different.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii296/nate45auto/100_0216-1.jpg

iMagUdspEllr
September 10, 2011, 03:04 AM
http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/CatalogRequest.aspx

That is a link to the sig catalog. They have a decent chart that helps compare and contrast all of their guns near the end of the catalog.

What do you want to use the gun for? That kinda determines the options you might want to get on it.

I was thinking about getting the Scorpion or the Tactical Operations.

I think the Scorpion is interesting because it is something different. The grips look really effective and it is finished in Cerakote... you don't really see that too often.

Micahweeks
September 10, 2011, 03:53 AM
Almost everything I get is meant for duty/carry or hunting. Tough finish, visible night sights, grips that refuse to let go of my hand, and reliability are key for me. I couldn't care less about match sears, new space age aluminum/scandium frames, or external/internal extractors. I need it shoot straight and reliably. I'll take the rest as it is. :)

iMagUdspEllr
September 10, 2011, 04:03 AM
If you can, handle that Scorpion in your local gun shop. It appears to have a very aggressive grip texture. It has night sights and Cerakote is a really good finish.

That is just one of the 1911s I have been looking at, though. And, a lot of traditionalists cringe at the sight of it. However, its features fit your description perfectly.

Mrgunsngear
September 10, 2011, 04:35 AM
If you like the railed versions, I have the Tac Ops with the threaded barrel and it is a great gun. That said, if you don't need a threaded barrel, night sights, or rail (of course you do!) you can get the XO for about $250 less.

The grips are extremely 'grippy', even if your hands are wet/bloody so that will satisfy that requirement as well.

Tom Servo
September 10, 2011, 05:34 AM
SIG Arms doesn't have a clue on how to build a reliable 1911. They never should have tried.
While the first run of GSR models were a disaster, the newer ones are excellent. I have the XO model, and it's been 100% for me. The only changes I've seen fit to make are cosmetic.

icedog88
September 10, 2011, 06:17 AM
My GSR(no rail) Platinum Carry has been stellar. Only about 650 rounds through it but enough to know that this pistol is b**** accurate, functions exactly as designed, and has my complete trust it will continue to do so. I bought it as a CPO some months back.Great deal on those. Mine was a SHOT Show demo.

Lurch37
September 10, 2011, 10:24 AM
Mine came as a Tac-Pac, with a kydex holster, mag pouch, etc., and I believe is a 1911 Nitron Model. I added a Smith/Alexander magwell and some wasp nest grips. I use it for my action handgun league and it has performed flawlessly thru 1500 or so rounds.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m432/captainron-68/Sig1911.jpg

Micahweeks
September 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Scorpion, Nitron, and XO, but other than finish, I don't see any major differences in them. What features justify their price differences?

Mags
September 10, 2011, 12:16 PM
I love my Tac-Ops carry. I have 3 Kimbers and one has had trouble and had to be sent back. The Sig hasn't been flawless but its been minor issues and I think they are mag related. I have about 250 rounds thriough it with maybe 6 FTF. All from factory mags and maybe some limp wristing. This is my first steel full size frame 1911. I have some Tripp mags coming. But besides the small issues I'm working on, I really love the gun, I wasnt all that excited about the slide profile and the non-traditional external extractor at first but now I really like it and think the slide looks cool. It shoots fantastic and some nice features for the money. Its deffinetly my favorite gun right now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/Intercooled/1911s005.jpg

Mags
September 10, 2011, 12:18 PM
They do make a Tac-Ops with traditional slide. I have seen it on Buds Guns web site.

Lurch37
September 10, 2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Scorpion, Nitron, and XO, but other than finish, I don't see any major differences in them. What features justify their price differences?

I haven't studied Sig's prices on different models but as with other gun companies, prices increase with more features, as in night sights, finish, checkering, rails, threaded barrels, etc.. I'm not sure if Sig gets into hand fitting on higher end models or not but perhaps a call or email to them might get you a more detailed answer.

Micahweeks
September 11, 2011, 04:11 AM
Well, I found my answer. Apparently, the difference is a Cerakote finish, magwell, and sights. I don't have much need for a magwell, and I like the SigLite sights, so it's between the XO and Scorpion. The deciding factor will be how tough Cerakote is versus Sig's Nitron finish. Anyone tried them both?

TacticalDefense1911
September 11, 2011, 08:22 AM
I've also got a Sig carry TacOps with the threaded barrel. Fit and finish is very good for a gun in this price range. The trigger is very crisp and clean with no take-up. I've also had a few FTF, usually around the 2nd or 3rd to last round in the magazine (attributing this to magazine as well). Been flawless other than that. Only complaint is the gosh awful Siglite night sights; with very little white outline they are very tough to pick up on. That said, I will not hesitate to buy another Sig 1911. My next will probably be the Scorpion carry model. Sig makes a 1911 for just about every use. Basically it comes down to whether you want a rail, the finish, the size or a magwell. That is pretty much the only difference in there guns other then the C3 and the RCS which have aluminum, officer sized frames which I'm guessing since this will be a duty weapon are not neccessary or needed.

Tom Servo
September 11, 2011, 09:05 AM
The deciding factor will be how tough Cerakote is versus Sig's Nitron finish. Anyone tried them both?
My only gripe with the XO is the Nitron finish. It was somewhat quick to show holster wear, particularly on the safety and barrel bushing. Of course, the gun's all stainless steel underneath, so it's only a minor cosmetic issue.

In my experience, Cerakote holds up beautifully.

Micahweeks
September 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
Is the CeraKote the same or similar to Nighthawk Custom's Permakote?

dkm455
September 14, 2011, 06:29 AM
My SIG Nitron has been excellent so far. Shoots great and no malfunctions, but I've only got a few hundred rounds through her.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/dkm455/sig1911b.jpg