PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CM9 Trigger

Buzzdoc
September 9, 2011, 07:48 PM
Forgive me if this has been covered-

I took my new Kahr CM9 to the range today and put a few hundred rounds through it. I was really pretty impressed. The thing is a tack driver for such a short barrel.

My only complaint is the so-so trigger. Long pull without much feel. Are there any good trigger mods or kits out there?

Thanks

KyJim
September 9, 2011, 09:15 PM
The trigger on the CM9 is actually considered to be pretty good for this type of gun. It's a bit long but not too heavy. Some shooters think the longer trigger in a pistol of this type is safer.

I'm sorry but I don't know of any upgrades on the trigger. If you don't get an answer here soon, you might try www.kahrtalk.com.

Sixer
September 9, 2011, 09:29 PM
For a "pocket" 9mm Kahr has one of the best triggers around. If you want to make the trigger pull feel better, shoot an LC9 before you shoot your Kahr ;)

C0untZer0
September 10, 2011, 12:39 AM
The PM9 has a version that has a manual safety - but I don't think the CM9 does.

I personally wouldn't screw with the trigger, you're liable to pull a Tex Grebner getting it out of the holster (or your pocket).

How accurate do you need it to be?

I'm thinking of getting one or a Rohrbaugh - and really for only one purpose - carry /SD.

I expect that if I ever had to use it - it would be for fairly close work, so if I can hit a pie plate at 15 feet with it - I could put a round in a perp's chest. Further than that and I'm going to exit the situation(probably).

Don't screw with the trigger - you'll shoot your weiner off.

Mrgunsngear
September 10, 2011, 04:42 AM
I've shot quite a few pocket 9mm guns and the CM9 and PPS have the best triggers of any of them.

If you really want to play with it, you can take the trigger assembly out and polish it up a little but I wouldn't recommend it. It would still be long, but may be a little crisper.

PSP
September 10, 2011, 07:09 AM
You can try a 5lb striker spring from Wolff.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29#188
Folks report it gives them a better trigger.

That's the only modification I know of short of a professional trigger job by C&S or other gunsmiths.

C0untZer0
September 10, 2011, 12:23 PM
I don't mind tinkering with my range guns. When the trigger is being used to create the potential energy that the hammer or striker needs to detonate the primer - the trigger can only be made so light or so "good". There is a point at which you are going to start getting light stikes.

With my range guns I don't mind if I cross that line - I'll change out a spring to cross back into reliability. But with a carry gun - I need peace of mind that the thing is going to work each and every time.

Also, under stress, I don't think I'm going to notice the tigger and I'm going to have super strength in my hands anyway.

I understand how having a bad trigger can bug you. The triger on my 17L bugs me to no end. But if I had a PM9 or CM9, I probably wouldn't take it bullseye shooting. If I don't use it for bullseye slow fire accuracy exercises, and I only practice with it at ranges and in a manner that is appropriate for the role it will fulfill - then I'm happy with it and the trigger doesn't bug me. I'd put siloutte targets at 15 feet and if I can create a 6" group doing rapid fire - its all good.

I really do like bullseye shoooting and I want to be able to create those 2" groups at 50 yards - it's frustrating as hell when I can't and fun and satisfying if I can. Maybe you feel like you're missing something because the CM9 can't also be used for that kind of shooting. My advice would be to get another pistol that is built for it, for that kind of shooting. That way you won't be so disatisfied with your little Kahr.

When I think of the CM9 / PM9 I don't think "tack driver" I think "I'm in danger" or "I'm under attack". I'm going to pull it out and counter / fight my way out. And that scenario is usually a close scenario.

Just my thoughts.

hawkeye10
September 10, 2011, 04:00 PM
:) I think if you give your Kahr trigger a chance you will like it. It's just different than other triggers. Don

threegun
September 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
The PM9 has a version that has a manual safety - but I don't think the CM9 does.

PM9 has no manual safety or they left it of mine LOL.

Dashunde
September 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
If its brand new I'd suggest cleaning it up and lubing it correctly per this...
(I dont recall where I found it, many thanks to whoever deserves it)
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73634&d=1315691369

PSP
September 10, 2011, 06:39 PM
Quote:

Kahr makes a PM9 with a safety so it complies with certain state requirements.

PM9 w/ External Safety & LCI
PM9193 (3.0" Barrel)
Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide with external safety & Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI)MSRP: $924.00
MA Approved

Microgunner
September 10, 2011, 06:50 PM

The PM9 IS available in a thumb safety version.

C0untZer0
September 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
^ Yep - here is is:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70536&d=1306115621

I tried it and decided it was too small and too close to the first joint of my thumb to operate quickly, but others may be able to operate it with ease.

If someone is really good with that safety then I don't think it would matter how light they made the trigger, but I personally wouldn't like a light trigger on a carry gun that didn't have some kind of a safety or something.

franco45
September 10, 2011, 08:39 PM
I think if you give your Kahr trigger a chance you will like it. It's just different than other triggers. Don

I'm with Hawkeye10 on this one. I own 3 Kahr's and all three are smooth and consistent with no creep. Granted they feel different from other dao pistols I own. Give it time.