PDA

View Full Version : Question from a newbee re: pistol sale

Michael Ruggiero
September 9, 2011, 07:14 PM
I have an opportunity to sell a pistol in a face to face deal. Can I do so without any FFL paperwork. If so, what info if any, should I be sure to get before parting ways with the buyer? I appreciate any info on this subject.

Opinated
September 9, 2011, 07:19 PM
State laws may very much control such transactions. In NC, it generally is OK.

Don Glock
September 9, 2011, 07:21 PM
call your local pd and ask. it's different everywhere.

Winchester_73
September 9, 2011, 07:25 PM
Each state is different and there is no Federal requirement, but at the same time, the states can enact their own laws regarding the issue. The chief other consideration is that these rules impact the BUYER not so much the seller. The seller could travel out of his state, and sell legally using the laws of the BUYER's state.

Michael Ruggiero
September 9, 2011, 07:50 PM
Found my answer. It is perfectly legal to sell a pistol in TN even to an 18 yr old as long as seller has no knowledge of the buyer having a criminal background. Interesting that gunshops with an FFL can only sell to buyers 21 or older.

Don H
September 9, 2011, 08:32 PM
The seller could travel out of his state, and sell legally using the laws of the BUYER's state.

A face-to-face transaction such as this would be a violation of 18 USC 922 and a federal felony it that interstate transfers of firearms, with very few exceptions, must be made through an FFL. The transfer of a handgun must be made through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

NJgunowner
September 9, 2011, 09:12 PM
A resident of one state CANNOT under any circumstances sell to a resident of another state without a FFL.

Winchester_73
September 9, 2011, 10:21 PM
A face-to-face transaction such as this would be a violation of 18 USC 922 and a federal felony it that interstate transfers of firearms, with very few exceptions, must be made through an FFL. The transfer of a handgun must be made through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

A resident of one state CANNOT under any circumstances sell to a resident of another state without a FFL.

Thanks for the tip Starsky and Hutch, but I never said without an FFL. My post implied a transfer through a FFL. So to clear up any confusion:

An intrastate transfer must be done at a FFL. Any states who require a transfer must also be done at a FFL. If in a state without a FFL pistol requirement, the seller should ask about criminal history and write down the buyer's driver license info.