PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 9mm- Kel Tec or Hi-Point?

Glockfan36
September 9, 2011, 06:49 PM
Just to be curious, which cheap 9mm (under $300) would you get? A friend asked for my advice on a cheap ccw weapon. I directed her towards the 9mm, told I personally prefer the Kel Tec P-11 for ccw, but the Hi-Point C9 works in this capacity as well. I'm taking her shopping next week to see what she likes.

blchandl2
September 9, 2011, 06:55 PM
Between the two, KelTec. The PF9 also fits your price point.

Bill DeShivs
September 9, 2011, 06:57 PM
A Hi Point is not exactly a carry gun.
Get the Keltec, they are a great value.

bjones870
September 9, 2011, 07:04 PM
I PERSONALLY, have never been impressed with anything Hi-Point. But, that's just my experience, the three or four i've shot, left a good bit to be desired. But, as like any other gun, certain people live by them. I would check out the second hand market (gun shows, pawn shops, etc.) and see what you come across. Just me two cents. Good luck with your decision.

raftman
September 9, 2011, 07:26 PM
For a carry gun? It's no contest, Kel-Tec hands down. The P-11 is thinner, smaller in every dimension, and has half the weight with a higher ammo capacity and is actually safe to carry with a loaded chamber; it is designed as a weapon to be carried whereas the Hi-Point C9 isn't really suited to any role other than range toy/beater pistol.

Mercenary
September 9, 2011, 08:02 PM
Between the two, I would say the Kel-Tec....Optimally I would say neither.

The Hi Point is like holding a 18V cordless drill.

The Kel-Tec is a fine handgun I had a PF9 up until about 2 months ago and I sold it to get my M&P. You said it was for a lady friend? My only concern is that the ultra light Kel Tec in 9mm may be too much recoil for her. My wife was afraid of my Kel Tec, but can shoot my M&P 9mm with no concern at all.

The P11 has a long and very HEAVY trigger pull.

My recommendation for your price range:

1) S&W Sigma 9mm (My mom CCW's this. Trigger is better than P11)
2) Ruger P95

Justice06RR
September 9, 2011, 09:01 PM
Get the Keltec PF9, but not the P11.

I compared both of them side-by-side at the gunstore last weekend and ended up with the PF9. The trigger is smoother on the PF9, vs the long and heavy pull on the P11. The P11 also has a very rough grip stipling - terrible on the hands. The overall quality of the PF9 is much better, and it also has a trigger block safety (in case its dropped) which is not on the P11 IIRC.

With that I ended up buying the PF9 for $279. Its perfect for conceal carry, but it does have some recoil which is very managable with practice. I can't say for the HiPoints, never owned or held one.

Joe the Redneck
September 9, 2011, 09:04 PM
Kel Tec, no question

crispy
September 9, 2011, 09:33 PM
It's for a "she"?
It's for carry?

Bersa Thunder 9mm Kurz

Okay, its really called a Bersa Thunder 380 but it is 9mm sorta.

$270ish. Easier to shoot than either of the Kel Tecs. Reliable.

getduck
September 9, 2011, 09:45 PM
I had one dealer tell me that he thought the hi-point was the bic lighter of guns. Use it and throw it away. He said they are pieces of junk

Sarge
September 9, 2011, 09:56 PM
One of my guys carries a P-11 and has qualified with it several times over the past couple of years. We qualify to 25 yards, backup or duty gun, and I've shot it at that distance. Trigger makes you pay attention to basics but if you hold your end up, it will deliver the goods.

scottycoyote
September 9, 2011, 11:50 PM
i love my p11, i did the eraser trigger stop on it and the long trigger pull isnt a problem anymore

chris in va
September 10, 2011, 12:12 AM
PF9. I had a P11 and the trigger was horribly long, but it had a pretty high capacity for such a small gun. Kicked like a mule though.

Datguy781
September 10, 2011, 12:27 AM
I prefer the kel-tec PF9 over the high point c9. I have owned both needless to say I still own the kel-tec.

Carry_24/7
September 10, 2011, 12:45 AM
KelTec

HBoswell
September 10, 2011, 01:02 AM
What Crispy said. Bersa or Firestorm 380. I own a Firestorm 9 I bought used for $350 and it has been flawless. I think the 380 would be a bit easier for a woman to shoot and Bersa's are all metal so the recoil won't be near as heavy. They also fit the hand nicely. The only real difference between Bersa and Firestorm is the trigger guard(Squared on Bersa, Rounded on Firestorm) and the grips. The Firestorm has a nicer grips.

Dr_2_B
September 10, 2011, 08:21 AM
I have both Kel-Tecs. I'd definitely recommend them over the HiPoint for carry. The P11 trigger may not feel too good to your friend. OTOH the PF9 recoil may not feel too good.

Uncle Malice
September 10, 2011, 08:35 AM
I'd vote for the PF9 too.

Cheapshooter
September 10, 2011, 09:49 AM
Kel-Tec for CCW. The High-Point is much more bulky due to it's straight blow back design. For a little more than your $300 price point, I have seen Ruger LC9's advertised at a LGS for $339. Not a bad price on a great "pocket" 9.
Check around, you might find the same deal.

dpetreikis
September 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
Neither. I would never advise a friend to buy a HiPoint so long as they can afford better. The PF9 is a good gun, but its size and weight make the recoil harder to control, especially for newer shooters. I'd be on the lookout for a Ruger LC9. Might be able to find one on sale at that $300 price point or just a bit over that. Maybe even find a used one for around there, too. Best luck.

TailGator
September 10, 2011, 10:02 AM
Regardless of one's opinion of High Points with regards to reliability and quality, it is undeniable that they are large and heavy compared to most other 9 mm handguns; therefore, not a good recommendation for concealed carry. Several other good options have been mentioned at reasonable prices.

leathermarshmallow
September 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
I carry the PF9 daily. I am a big guy with big hands. But when I first started shooting it, it felt like a firecracker going off in my hand. I have gotten used to it and actually shoot it pretty well now. I like my Kel tec and will probably get another. Incidently, I have several hundred rounds down the pipe and have never had a single ftf with it.

ftballgod
September 10, 2011, 11:12 AM
kel tec

Mrgunsngear
September 10, 2011, 01:29 PM
Kel tec's aren't exactly Wilson Combat 1911s but they'rea much better gun than a Hi Point. My buddy has a PF9 and it's very reliable. All the hi points I've ever shot feel chincy and frequently have some sort of malfunction.

TUNNUG
September 10, 2011, 03:37 PM
For the price, weight and size another vote for the PF9, I've put about a hundred rounds downrange with mine with no hiccups, another few hundred and It'll be ready for everyday carry.

lee n. field
September 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
Just to be curious, which cheap 9mm (under $300) would you get? A friend asked for my advice on a cheap Concealed Carry weapon. I directed her towards the 9mm, told I personally prefer the Kel Tec P-11 for ccw, but the Hi-Point C9 works in this capacity as well

Lay them next to each other. Ain't no Hi Point you can drop into a pocket.

Kel Tec.

crispy
September 10, 2011, 04:00 PM
You put a Hi-Point C9 in your pocket and you'll be looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.

Ridge_Runner_5
September 10, 2011, 04:04 PM
I agree with lee. HiPoints are reliable, but the handguns are lead ingots in size, shape and weight.

Glockfan36
September 10, 2011, 04:08 PM
At no time did I mention the PF9. I think it's a good ccw weapon, just not for everyone. It strikes me as a little odd that people seem to forget the p11 even exists, considering it's been around way longer than the PF9. Yes, it does have a long, heavy trigger pull (as all Kel-Tecs do-it's the trade-off for their lack of a manual safety.) People really need to start paying attention and quit assuming so much- that's a big pet peeve of mine!:mad:

threegun
September 10, 2011, 04:27 PM
I had one dealer tell me that he thought the hi-point was the bic lighter of guns. Use it and throw it away. He said they are pieces of junk Sounds like a dealer you can trust. Puts reputation over profit.

People really need to start paying attention and quit assuming so much- that's a big pet peeve of mine!

Pet peeve of mine is someone who asks for assistance only to get peeved when other suggestions are given. Unless your friend is like super woman the P-11's trigger is going to be trouble. My father sold his p-11 because of it. Just hard to make it shoot good. The Hi-Point is a gun of last resort. Save some more bread or use layaway or buy used but get something with a better trigger like the new cm9 from Kahr. Sorry that wasn't a choice but your choices stink.

wnycollector
September 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
I vote neither. As the former owner of a KT PF-9, I just cant recommend it. Even after a trip to the factory, it was not 100% reliable and I could not get comfortable carrying anything that was not 100%. I have a friend who picked up a hipoint .45. It is reliable and accurate...but horrible ergo's.

Here is a link to a S&W 469 w/ a 'buy now" price of $259.95 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=250494126 once you toss in $18 for shipping and between $20-30 for transfer you will be at or around $300. The 469 will out shoot and outlast any KT or hipoint out there.

michael t
September 10, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hi Point for carry !!!:eek: PF-9 If KelTec and a Bersa compact 9mm a little more in $

robertsig
September 10, 2011, 07:16 PM
Neither. I'd say save some more money and get something better.

sheepman
September 11, 2011, 11:08 AM
Make sure that the lady can work the slide on either, my wife has trouble pulling the slide back on most of my semi autos. Of the two the Kel Tec is my recommendation.

Grant D
September 11, 2011, 11:38 AM
Kel Tec, or save a couple of dollars more for a Ruger LC9

Cheapshooter
September 11, 2011, 11:47 AM
You put a Hi-Point C9 in your pocket and you'll be looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.

Isn't that how most of them are carried? LOL. Just kidding!:D

robertsig
September 11, 2011, 11:55 AM
Adding to my post above - find a Kahr CW9. It is so worth it.

Big V
September 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
Kel Tec. or Kahr. Make sure she can handle 9mm in such a small package. You may want to go .380acp? They are smaller a little less recoil and they have some really potent ammo for them now.JMO

I just saved a ton of money on my car insuranece.:D

ET.
September 11, 2011, 03:37 PM
I own a Hi-Point C9 :o. My wife tried to shoot it once. She will never touch it again. The blow back design makes it recoil way too much for her. She likes to shoot my M&P40 with a 9mm barrel installed. You would be well served to spend a little more and get her a better gun for carry. I have a friend (lady) who carries a small 38 special from Charter Arms (it even comes in pink). I'd trust an inexpensive revolver over an inexpensive semi-auto. If she is trying to carry it on her person, the smaller 9mm guns will recoil a lot more than she might like. Good luck...

...oh yeah, the post about women having trouble racking the slides on semi-auto guns is true. My wife has trouble with her Buckmark Camper as well as my M&P. Just another reason to go with a revolver...did I mention that they come in pink?

Toney
September 11, 2011, 07:04 PM
The hi-point is to big. If you buy a kel-tec you better be handy. The p11 is a good pistol, the pf9 will limpwrist.

Glockfan36
September 11, 2011, 07:19 PM
She wants the Kel-Tec, due to my recommending it. She's picking it up this week!

TylerD45ACP
September 11, 2011, 07:48 PM
Which one the PF-9, the Kel-Tec's are much better pistols she wont regret it.

Glockfan36
September 11, 2011, 10:42 PM
Yeah, that's the one. She's excited about it! I'm hoping this will help me out in her seeing me as a potential boyfriend,too!

khegglie
September 11, 2011, 10:49 PM
Let us know how she likes it!

threegun
September 12, 2011, 06:21 AM
Let us know if you get a girlfriend out of it also LOL.

Pico
September 12, 2011, 07:07 AM
I agree with the other posts, save and get a better quality firearm. Buy used from someone you know and trust.

Pico

Onward Allusion
September 12, 2011, 12:37 PM
Glockfan36
Cheap 9mm- Kel Tec or Hi-Point?
Just to be curious, which cheap 9mm (under $300) would you get? A friend asked for my advice on a cheap ccw weapon. I directed her towards the 9mm, told I personally prefer the Kel Tec P-11 for ccw, but the Hi-Point C9 works in this capacity as well. I'm taking her shopping next week to see what she likes.

There's no comparison. Kel Tec all the way.

Big V
September 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
If your intentions are to use this situation as a launching pad to a relationship, you should have just told her forget about a pistol, and wrap you around her little finger. That way she'll have all the protection she needs and boyfriend to boot.:D Good luck!:eek:;)

crispy
September 12, 2011, 08:16 PM
I don't know what some of these people are talking about.

My daughter (25 yo) shoots the C9 I gave her just fine. Because of the weight, very easy to handle the recoil.

She hated my PF-9. Heck it is snappy to me. Not a good choice for her.

That's why I got her the Bersa 380 CC. All metal. Little heavier. Smaller caliber. SAME EXACT FOOTPRINT as my Kel Tec. Heck it fit the same holsters. Shoots it easily.

Now as far as working the slide, she tried to tell me that the easiest slide to rack was that on my Sig P238. Yeah right honey, you're not getting my Sig...

skoro
September 12, 2011, 08:17 PM
No contest...

It's KelTec.

TailGator
September 13, 2011, 09:48 AM
My daughter (25 yo) shoots the C9 I gave her just fine. Because of the weight, very easy to handle the recoil.

OK, but does she carry it? The question was for a CCW, and I can't see a woman being able to conceal a C9 and dress, well, like most women dress. Haven't gone out in drag for some time, though, so maybe my memory is fading. :D

graysmoke
September 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
Kel-Tec...Because of the size, just more versitile.

But....I like the Bersa 9mm Compact. Seen them on gunbroker.com auctions ending below $300

threegun
September 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
I just took off my dress and when I tried it the C9 dang near exposed my top LOL.

Seriously speaking the C9 is heavy and fat for concealed carry

warrior poet
September 13, 2011, 10:40 AM
I have NO... literally, NONE, not a bit of experience with the Hi-Point. I do have a pretty good amount of experience with a Kel-Tec P-11. I originally got it to "experiment" with a ultracompact autopistol. I planned on it being a learning tool and then get 'something more high end' for eventually use. I didn't expect much; I was wrong.

The dang little thing isn't pretty. It won't win any beauty contests. It does work... and keeps working. I have put a significant amount of rounds through the little thing, and it just keeps going. It impressed me enough that I have no plans to replace it with 'something more high end.' Take that for what you will.

crispy
September 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
OK, but does she carry it? The question was for a CCW, and I can't see a woman being able to conceal a C9 and dress, well, like most women dress. Haven't gone out in drag for some time, though, so maybe my memory is fading.

No, and that's why I said earlier that both of these options are no good.

There is another gun that is inexpensive ($250), two ounces heavier than the PF-9, that shoots a 9mm (short), has manageable recoil, and it approximately the same "footprint" of the PF-9. Oh, and its reliable and feels good in the hand.

She does carry her Bersa 380CC.

thinktwice
September 13, 2011, 11:33 PM
Kel-Tec P-11 I know how long and heavy the trigger is, but the pistol wasn't made for target shooting. Most self defense situations are going to be at contact distance to about 10 feet, and 10 feet is pushing it. I doubt anyone in a life or death situation with all the confusion and adrenalin flowing is even going to notice the trigger on a P-11.

LH2
September 14, 2011, 02:45 AM
Kel-Tec makes good stuff for the money, and their customer service will take care of you if there is an issue with the product.