PDA

View Full Version : A new 9mm on the horizon

Grapevinebill
September 9, 2011, 03:17 PM
I am planning on shooting a Berette 92FS and a Glock 17 this weekend to see which one feels more comfortable and which one scores better. I am actually going in to this with an open mind and I am not leaning one way or the other. This will be a HD gun and one to fire on the range and I can't wait. My next purchase will be a .40 that I will conceal.

Any feedback on either the Glockor Beretta would be appreciated.

:D

TunnelRat
September 9, 2011, 03:32 PM
This will be a HD gun and one to fire on the range and I can't wait. My next purchase will be a .40 that I will conceal.

I'm confuzzled :confused:, so you're testing the Glock and Beretta in 9 mm even though you will be buying one or the other in 40 cal? Or were you talking about your purchase AFTER you buy one of those two? Change in caliber can very much change the feel of the gun. If I misread you please correct me.

BarryLee
September 9, 2011, 03:50 PM
I have Berretta 92FS and used it for home defense for a long time until I moved to a .45 caliber SIG P220. The 92FS is a very reliable, accurate and easy to shoot gun. It is a little large for carry, but for home use it is perfect.

WildBill45
September 9, 2011, 03:56 PM
I carried a Beretta 92 in my vest as a backup gun for a couple of years! It was one of my guns that never failed, and shot good. It points nice, and recovers quickly during rapid fire. It is a classic now with all the new hi-tech and PC correct designs that run amok, but if you are looking at putting holes where your eyes are looking it is not a bad choice. I like the trigger better than the Glock, but my Glock 17, one from the 80s, was also very reliable, but ugly like my mother-in-law! Sometimes the ugly ones work best, same goes for the gun!:D

BillCA
September 9, 2011, 04:09 PM
For home defense, the Beretta 92FS is a great gun. The sights are generous and easy to use, even for my aging eyes. The open slide design practically eliminates most jamming conditions. The barrel sits low to the hand giving it less recoil than many others. The weight, fully loaded or empty, balances against the 9mm recoil beautifully. It's very accurate -- one of the most accurate 9mm's in my collection -- and the DA trigger is smoother than most others. The slide is easier to actuate compared to the 1911, HK, GLock, etc.

The only improvement would be moving the safety to the frame instead of being mounted on the slide. But this hasn't prevented the Beretta from gaining a large following.

If you want a tool, like a hammer or screwdriver, buy the Glock.
If you're investing in the future and want something you'll be glad you own, buy the Beretta.

Grapevinebill
September 9, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hey Tunnel Rat,

Sorry bout that. I am buying both a 9mm and a .40. The 9 will be for shooting often at the range and home defense. The .40 will be a smaller compact gun (not sure which yet) that I will carry.

10mm4ever
September 9, 2011, 04:18 PM
Let's see.....

Trigger....Beretta
Balance...Beretta
Reliability..Beretta
Aesthetics...Beretta
Build quality...Beretta
Ergonomics...Beretta

Have I left anything out?;)

maxman894
September 9, 2011, 04:19 PM
The US military likes and uses the Beretta. That's good enough for me!

NJgunowner
September 9, 2011, 04:32 PM
Have you tried a cz75 yet? If not you should.

Otherwise beretta.

Willie Lowman
September 9, 2011, 04:43 PM
I think Beretta could have put a trigger with less over travel in the 92. I have fired three examples of the 92 and two of them had lousy single action triggers. For what what those guns cost they could do a little better.

10mm4ever
September 9, 2011, 04:44 PM
The Beretta 92 and CZ75 have to be the two greatest 9mm combat autos ever, IMO. Have both and love em both! I still prefer the Beretta and dont see myself owning as many CZ's as Berettas. That said, the SP01 is calling my name.....;)

Poodleshooter
September 9, 2011, 04:49 PM
Both good weapons. Two days ago I shot a friend's Gen 4 G17 and a slightly customized (decocker function removed) Beretta 92 side by side.
FWIW, I shot the Beretta with a .40 conversion slide kit also.
The Gen4 has the nice short reset, and a great magazine release. It's also a bit narrower than the chunky Beretta grip. The Beretta was a pussycat to shoot in 9mm (though both of them are,really). In fact, the first shots I fired with it were in 40, and I thought it was the stock 9mm upper half since the recoil was so mild. I could shoot it a bit more accurately than the G17 due to the fit in my hand.
IMHO,
To carry: G17
For HD and target shooting: Beretta

chris in va
September 9, 2011, 04:50 PM
Yup, do yourself a favor and have a look at the CZ 75b. Better ergos than the blocky/oversized Beretta.

Terry A
September 9, 2011, 05:02 PM
I'm a big Glock fan, but you will absolutely love the Beretta 92! My wife "adopted" mine & that's her nightstand gun. 15 +1 and it's easier for her to control then the .40 or .45.

I also want to give it a plug for absolute, flawless reliabilty. I buy new magazines for it every once in a while, but that's a personal fetish I have with all my mags. It's also a straight shooting pistol.

Whichever of the two you end up selecting, you'll have a fine pistol!

Don Glock
September 9, 2011, 05:26 PM
I am actually going in to this with an open mind and I am not leaning one way or the other.

lean towards the glock.

Darmok
September 9, 2011, 05:33 PM
I own a Beretta 92A1 (a variant of the 92FS), and have shot a Glock 17. Between the two, my pick is the Beretta. Racking the slide is incredibly smooth, and the DA/SA trigger is a plus for some (it's the main reason why I chose it). I didn't like the grip angle of the Glock. Also, the Beretta is just plain sexy. Glocks are very fine and ultra-reliable weapons though, and I wouldn't fault anybody for preferring one over a Beretta.

Despite my preference for the Beretta over the Glock, I find myself rarely shooting my Beretta. I personally find that it's just too big a pistol (especially the grips) for a 9mm, and I greatly prefer my Browning Hi-Power.

Mrgunsngear
September 9, 2011, 06:17 PM
Both guns are excellent choices. Really can't go wrong either way. That said, I would (and have) go with the G17. The main reason is the safety on the 92FS. It can be an issue if you have a malfunction and try to "tap rack and bang" your way to functioning (to do it without issue you need to be very careful how you grip the slide...). I'm in the military and I've seen quite a few guys have the issue I described.

That said, the 92FS is extremely reliable when it's not abused (read: like in the military) and you may not have any malfunctions at all through thousands of rounds.

I'm pretty accurate with my G17 and it has been 100% reliable so it's the choice for me.

Rugerismisticness
September 9, 2011, 06:34 PM
Perhapes you should add a few to the list. CZ 75 beat the hell outta both IMHO, the M&P 9pro is excellent, S&W 3rd gen are actually preferable aswell, why not add 1911s to the list, SR9s are very good, and ofcoarse the XDM is a heckuva contender. Did I just complicate things??? You'll be happy you looked at these other guns first.;)

10mm4ever
September 9, 2011, 07:46 PM
There's also something to be appreciated by a weapon that can't be destroyed with a 99cent Bic.......:D

Mercenary
September 9, 2011, 07:54 PM
The only improvement would be moving the safety to the frame instead of being mounted on the slide. But this hasn't prevented the Beretta from gaining a large following.

Isn't this the only difference between the Beretta 92 and the Taurus PT 92??

BillCA
September 9, 2011, 08:07 PM
I'm sure I'll get some ribbing from the combat tupperware brigade for this.

There's always another solid choice for a 9mm pistol.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/1911/CMDR9S_1119.jpg
Colt's 9mm Combat Commander

And it may be smaller than you want, but Colt has their 9mm New Agent DAO pistol out too.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/2010_SHOT/Colt_9mmNewAgentDA071_LT.jpg
Colt's DAO 9mm New Agent

While you're mulling the 9mm choice, you might think about the .40 S&W choice. One reason I have no need for a .40.... the .45 ACP.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/1911/MuzzleSizesM_1129.jpg
1911 Comparison - Kimber .45 ACP vs. Colt 9mm Combat Commander.

Leejack
September 10, 2011, 08:48 AM
Either way you'll get a great gun! Between the two, my preference would go to the Beretta 92FS.

If you like the style of the Beretta, but not the safety, take a look at the Taurus PT92, great gun also.

I don't own a CZ, but the guys around here just wet their pants every time the gun is mentioned. I'm going to take a look at the 75B myself.

new_scopeshooter
September 10, 2011, 09:18 AM
I have shoot both with an open mind! I liked them both. But in my opinion they are different guns! I would go with the 92..... and this only my opinion bit I would chose the xd9 over a glock. In fact I have!

TailGator
September 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
Another vote for the Beretta for range and home defense, from a guy who carries a Glock 26 every day. Just hold the 92 for a moment, then rack the slide - you will feel the quality. And IMO, one of the most handsome handguns in production.

Amin Parker
September 10, 2011, 01:15 PM
Out of the two pistols i would take the Beretta in a second. I have never ever seen a Beretta 92 malfunction.

Consider a cz pistol before you decide.

Nordeste
September 10, 2011, 08:30 PM
Ok, I'm gonna type something you've just read a few seconds ago :D, but it's so you see what the right option is ;)

Over those two, the 92FS, any day. It's subjective but you'll find an easier shooter there. Perhaps the Glock is simplier to operate since there are no safeties or decockers, but the best trigger pull of the two is for 92. Recoil is on her side too, and in terms of accuracy and reliability, my thought is that they are more or less equal. Then think that the Glock's grip is not everyone's liking, and I am one of those who dislikes it (together with the trigger and the recoil).

Now... if you happen to choose the 92, I'd suggest you try a CZ75. Even less felt recoil, even better trigger, even better balanced, likely to fit your hand better (on mine it did), equally reliable and accurate. The CZ is a joy to shoot. Try one and you're lost. Yes, we wet our pants with this pistol :p, it's just that I haven't happened to come across anything better. You'll wonder if I own one... I don't. My first idea was to get something for HD and CC, so I got my PX4F. Next one will be a range pistol, and I hope it's a CZ. My everyday workmate is a 92FS, and the only one likely to replace her (if I could) would be a CZ75SP01.

As for the .40, may I suggest a .40 PX4?.

sheepman
September 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
I have and shoot both, would not like to have to give up either. Off a rest they both shoot about equal for accuracy. The Glock is a little simpler and lighter, both are very reliable. For a home defense gun the Beretta may be the best with the longer and heaver first shot trigger pull. The Glock wins out if I am going to carry it all day. Either gun will probably out last you so it is just a matter of preference, I like both about the same. :D

Grapevinebill
September 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
Well, I not only shot the Beretta and the Glock, I added the Springfield XD-M to the test. Bottom line is the 92FS was slightly better on all comparisons I could think to make except one minor item. And when I say slightly in really mean they were all very close and the decision was a tough one. I would really be happy with either of the 3.

They were all comfortable in my hand and felt good. I think the weight of the 92FS gave it the nod for recoil. Shooting 50 rounds from each gun at standard B27 silhouette targets I shot very close scores but the Beretta had the most shots in the X ring. The Springfield was second and the Glock just behind that.

I did find the spring on the Beretta's magazine real tight. The more rounds I loaded the tighter it got. Call me a wimp but I think it is going to require a loader...

Thanks to everyone on the board for the feedback and advice. Being new to the handgun world I appreciate all the shared knowledge.

AustinTX
September 11, 2011, 12:38 PM
The Beretta is an outstanding gun. You won't be disappointed.

I did find the spring on the Beretta's magazine real tight. The more rounds I loaded the tighter it got. Call me a wimp but I think it is going to require a loader...

The mag spring will break in with some use.

graysmoke
September 11, 2011, 12:45 PM
I own both the Beretta 92 and the Glock 17

For weight of gun reasons - Carry the Glock in the warmer/ hot spring and summer months. I carry the Beretta in the cooler/ cold fall and winter months.
Both loaded with Federal Hydra Shock.

If I had to keep just one of the two....I'd keep the Beretta 92

chadio
September 11, 2011, 01:05 PM
Haven't had the opportunity to fire the Glock or the Beretta, but I've held them both. Preferred the feel of the Beretta by a wide margin. I own and operate a SIG Sauer p226 9mm, love the gun, love the caliber, but I can't shoot a group as tight as I can with a 1911. Someday I hope to shoot the 92FS and a Glock just to see how it works for me (or doesn't work for me :D)

Best of luck choosing your new pistol.

Grapevinebill
September 11, 2011, 05:27 PM
Here it is. I picked it up today at the gun show. Brand spanking new Beretta 92FS 9mm with 2 15 round magazines for $520. I think I got a good deal seeing Bass Pro retails it at $600. It's been field striped, cleaned and reassembled, now I just need to get it to the range.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/Grapevinebill/IMG_1309.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/Grapevinebill/IMG_1307.jpg

TailGator
September 11, 2011, 06:41 PM
Attaboy. Methinks there will be lots of smiles on range day.

Mrgunsngear
September 11, 2011, 07:12 PM
I'm sure you'll have many hundreds/thousands of trouble free rounds through that gun in no time. Like I said earlier; you really can't go wrong with either gun.

Pilot
September 12, 2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I'm a bit confused as you would need two different calibers for home defense and carry. :confused:

The .40 doesn't get you much more than a 9MM, and I like to practice with the caliber I carry. Your logic is counterintuitve to me. Yes, I understand it is cheaper to shoot 9MM, but if I was going to get a "stronger" caliber it would be for home defense in a heavier pistol and it would be in .45 ACP, not .40. I'd carry a smaller 9MM, and get a larger 9MM for home defense.

The CZ-75 variants, Browning Hi Power, G17, Sig P226/P229, HK P7 are all excellent, as well as the Beretta 92 series.

I can use my CZ-75D PCR (lightweight alloy, compact 9MM) as both a carry and home defense gun. In fact I often do due to its capacity, accuracy and reliability.

AustinTX
September 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
Here it is. I picked it up today at the gun show. Brand spanking new Beretta 92FS 9mm with 2 15 round magazines for $520. I think I got a good deal seeing Bass Pro retails it at $600. It's been field striped, cleaned and reassembled, now I just need to get it to the range.

Congrats! :D Excellent choice. And, yes, you got a nice deal.

Nordeste
September 12, 2011, 07:18 PM
Congrats!. You chose a living legend that won't dissapoint you.

In the case of my unit, the more I shoot her, the more she improves. Trigger gets better after a few hundred rounds, and given you own that pistol, perhaps a spring replacement (D model, IIRC) is a good idea to soften that long and heavy DA pull. I can't do that on mine since it's an issue weapon but a lot of folks here say it's a very good mod.

Artie
September 13, 2011, 06:07 AM
I would take the Glock over the Beretta in a split second. The Beretta is a nice gun, but I can't stand the size and the way they feel. I rarely see them anymore, certainly not like you did in the early and mid-90's, and I think that's probably for the same reasons. I understand that not all guns feel right to everyone, but aside from feel, there is no real justification to degrade a Glock. For the most part, just about every major manufacturer has produced their own knock off of the Glock in the past few years, that says a lot about the Glock IMO.