PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 'Range Officer'...Opinions?

Evan-0-Matic
September 8, 2011, 07:25 PM
Looking into maybe getting a 1911 (would be my first) and the "range officer" caught my eye, seems like a good model from a better than average company, and a good price (i think?).

What do you all have to say?

Any owners out there?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Don Glock
September 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
nice. good fit. too bad it has adj sites. if i bought it, i'd install harrison's fixed.

bigghoss
September 8, 2011, 08:45 PM
I bought a springfield and it has a bad extractor. second time it's going back to the factory for it. then I found out this has been happening with them for at least 10 years. but they are very good about fixing it. the first time they paid shipping both ways and it only took a week. if I really wanted another 1911 I would consider springfield again but they wouldn't be my first choice.

npederse
September 8, 2011, 08:55 PM
I've got one - only have about 400 rounds through it, but it shoots like a champ. No FTF or FTE.

I'd highly recommend it.

mossy424
September 9, 2011, 04:31 AM
I would look at getting a colt. I think you can find I gold cup for about 1100. It's made in the usa and they are the original.

Shadi Khalil
September 9, 2011, 05:47 AM
My brother and I rented one last week. It was dirty as any range gun could and dry as a bone. It shot great with zero malfunctions and excellent accuracy.

9x19
September 9, 2011, 08:29 AM
I like the RO, and think it's a really good value. Mine had no issues at all, but I prefer stainless, so it got traded.

Springfield Range Officer .45
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/SARO.jpg

Sarge
September 9, 2011, 08:44 AM
I bought a springfield and it has a bad extractor. second time it's going back to the factory for it. then I found out this has been happening with them for at least 10 years. but they are very good about fixing it. the first time they paid shipping both ways and it only took a week. if I really wanted another 1911 I would consider springfield again but they wouldn't be my first choice.

Springfield makes an excellent slide and frame but as you noted, their small parts can be iffy. I swap out an Ed Brown extractor as soon as I get one.

For those who like adjustable sights on a service pistol, the Range Officer is a nice rendition of that concept, tastefully done.

iblong
September 9, 2011, 09:24 AM
Have not a a failure of any kind with any ammo as of yet,But I've only got a couple thousand rounds through it. fmj,lrn,lswc,and several jhp.

Evan-0-Matic
September 9, 2011, 06:38 PM
Great... Thanks for the help fellas! I'll keep in in the running.

bigghoss
September 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
Springfield makes an excellent slide and frame but as you noted, their small parts can be iffy. I swap out an Ed Brown extractor as soon as I get one.

For those who like adjustable sights on a service pistol, the Range Officer is a nice rendition of that concept, tastefully done.

from what I've read it mainly their extractors. I've been told but some knowledgeable guys that most of the guts, even their MIM stuff, isn't bad. I would replace the extractor with something else but the gun is less than a year old so I'm going to make them fix their mistake. if it goes bad again then I'll give in and get and ed brown or something.

Don Glock
September 10, 2011, 12:19 AM
SA extractors are fine. The only issue a select few might have is they're too tight, which is a .5 second fix.

iMagUdspEllr
September 10, 2011, 03:25 AM
I would get the Springfield Operator before the range officer. If you really want adjustable sights then get the Loaded Black Stainless (adjustable night sights).

The Range Officer doesn't give you as many options as just about every other 1911 on the market. And, if you are going to drop down money for a 1911 it should probably have night sights on it from the factory unless you have a good reason not to (dedicated range/target gun).

What do you want to use the gun for and do you know what options you might want on it?

It is better to buy a 1911 just how you want it than it is to buy one and then pay more money to make it into a different gun.

Sometimes you can't buy it just how you want it but... with how large the 1911 market is that isn't likely.

bigghoss
September 10, 2011, 09:28 AM
SA extractors are fine. The only issue a select few might have is they're too tight, which is a .5 second fix.

well mine didn't get that memo because it won't hold tension

Sarge
September 10, 2011, 09:34 AM
Nor a half-dozen others with which I am acquainted.

Duckkkkk
September 10, 2011, 10:19 AM
If you really want adjustable sights then get the Loaded Black Stainless (adjustable night sights).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2TYhVoxBiLo/TlRJjnoD1-I/AAAAAAAAAoM/onm3XqGk9Fk/s720/IMG_2220%25255B1%25255D.JPG

iMagUdspEllr
September 10, 2011, 10:21 AM
@Duckkkkk: Aw man that sucks bro.

Duckkkkk
September 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
@Duckkkkk: Aw man that sucks bro.

If I wanted them I could change it out in 3 minutes. That sight moves freely when the set screw is loosened. I have a HiViz to put on the front that I haven't got to yet.

Great gun though. I love it.

Don Glock
September 10, 2011, 02:03 PM
well mine didn't get that memo because it won't hold tension

very clever. however, there are probs and acceptations with every manufacturer.

luckily, they have great cust serv, or did you not get that memo either?

bac1023
September 11, 2011, 10:20 AM
Check out the guide in my signature for many suggestions. :)