PDA

View Full Version : Glock trade in value?

7jinxed7
September 8, 2011, 07:14 PM
What could i expect to get for a Glock 23 3rd gen on trade in at a gun store?

It's a one owner about 4500 rounds great condition no rust,bangs,nicks or scratches just a little barrel finish wear and not much of that.

I want a gen 4 but i don't have the funds to outright buy one right now. I would consider trading in the future if it's reasonable ,if not i'll just sell it to a individual. I'm assuming sell price is what? $400.00

Don Glock
September 8, 2011, 07:22 PM
in my area at the best shop, $300. $350 if it has night sites that still glow. other shops around me will only give $250 tops. it depends.

excelerater
September 8, 2011, 08:12 PM
a used Glock 23 will fetch 425-450 friend to friend all day long or about
100 more than the shop will give

hagar
September 8, 2011, 08:18 PM
Only an idiot sells or trade in guns at a gunstore..:eek:

7jinxed7
September 8, 2011, 08:19 PM
Are you calling me a idiot hagar? I wouldn't trade unless i felt it was reasonable.

I wouldn't trade it in for $250.00. I would for $350.00 maybe but i would have to really think about it. I have a Kahr in lay-a-way i have to pay off first. As soon as that is paid for then i can get the gen 4 hopefully.

Don Glock
September 8, 2011, 08:25 PM
Only an idiot sells or trade in guns at a gunstore..

in many states, the private sale process is such a hassle, you'd rather just take a hit and sell to a store for the convenience.

laytonj1
September 8, 2011, 08:38 PM
Only an idiot sells or trade in guns at a gunstore..
Good thing there's allot of idiots or there would be no used guns to look at or buy from the LGS's.

Jim

7jinxed7
September 8, 2011, 08:48 PM
"in many states, the private sale process is such a hassle, you'd rather just take a hit and sell to a store for the convenience."

Thank you Don Glock,That was exactly why I was considering trade.

I do plan on looking into the transfer fees for individual sale and such before i do. It is in my name so i don't want to sell to someone i don't know without transferring for my own protection. So yeah if it's too much in fees or too much hassle i would take a small hit.

Get R Done Guns
September 8, 2011, 10:40 PM
Layton,

Great point. Gun dealers (for the most part) are fair. Have to make money both ways. We get used stuff in all the time and try to give fair (to us) pricing. Normally in excellent condition we range from 300-325 depending on how good it is. Still have to sell your used gun to turn a buck and sit on it till someone wants it. Sometimes we get lucky and it only sits around a few hours. Other times months. Would anyone work around 5-10 hours to make 30 dollars here? Well that is what the shop is doing after they show it to 20 people and finally someone takes it home.

JMO

chack
September 8, 2011, 11:18 PM
gunshops typically give you 60% what a gun is worth for trade.

That gun wholesales for about $350, and retails for $450. That's what they'd try to sell it for in bottom line real dollars. I'd be amazed if you could get more than $300 for it as an outright buy.

They might give you $450 trade on it toward a $500 gun that they charge you $650 for.

9mm
September 9, 2011, 12:12 AM
Gun stores tend to rip you off on average $75

I wouldn't give you $350~$400 for that many rounds down your gun. (lucky to get $275 IMO)

Friend of mine just got a Glock less than 500 rounds down the pipe $420

Police trade in's are like $380 time to time on aimsurplus

dajowi
September 9, 2011, 12:22 AM
Private sale is almost without exception better than a gun shop. Our local gun shops are the worst. Selling on consignment is OK but you still have to give the gun shop their cut.

10mm4ever
September 9, 2011, 07:27 AM
With all the problems the gen4 has had, why???

new_scopeshooter
September 9, 2011, 08:28 AM
My LGS sell glock trade ins for $379.99 to $425.00 about every 6 months or so. So I don't think you will get much more the $300.00 if you trade in

AK103K
September 9, 2011, 08:35 AM
Find a local shop youre comfortable with that sells on consignment, and sell it that way. You generally make out much better going this route than you do trading. You dont have the worries of selling it yourself, and they do the work for you. The shop usually gets between 10-15% of the "sale", so they have an incentive to get as much as they can for the gun too.

Ive sold a lot of guns this way over the years, and always made out OK by doing so.

oneounceload
September 9, 2011, 09:02 AM
do plan on looking into the transfer fees for individual sale and such before i do. It is in my name so i don't want to sell to someone i don't know without transferring for my own protection. So yeah if it's too much in fees or too much hassle i would take a small hit.

Where do you live that you are looking at transfer fees for individual sales? And, in your name? As in a state with registration, or are you talking about the 4473?

chack
September 9, 2011, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't give you $350~$400 for that many rounds down your gun.

you say that like 5000 rounds is alot. Its 10% or less of the total life expectancy of the gun. Shooting 1000 rds through a gun in one range day isn't that that unusual for many people.

GoOfY-FoOt
September 9, 2011, 10:21 AM
If you have not done a Glock recommended spring overhaul at 3,000 rounds, you have been unnecessarily beating up your .40 compact. This increases wear and the possibility of premature failure.
We wouldn't offer more than $250 on a trade-in with similar circumstances.

Although, working night sights, extra Glock mags and the original box tend to add value to the deal.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

------------------------------------------------

Selling on consignment is OK but you still have to give the gun shop their cut.

Yeah, how dare those folks trying to earn a living, doing something for someone and expecting a meager wage for it...Pitiful....

chack
September 9, 2011, 10:28 AM
not the spring monster again.

BigJimP
September 9, 2011, 01:13 PM
The local shop isn't ripping anyone off ...??? ....they have to make a profit and pay their overhead too.../ and most of us want them to stay in business so they are there to meet our needs.

Most well run shops can't offer over 60 - 70% of what the gun will sell for used.../even on consignment ....the store still has to have some value ...and get something out of the deal or there is no point in them buying or taking the gun on trade-in or consignment.

If the seller expects to get more than 70% of the used sale price for a gun ...then they need to sell it as a private sale ...and put up with all the aggravation, time, etc to do that.

Kreyzhorse
September 9, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'd guess you might get $250 - $300 and it would be close to the $250 mark than the $300 mark.

Selling it outright is your best option.

7jinxed7
September 9, 2011, 06:16 PM
What do you guys do selling to a individual? State of TN if it matters. I did purchase it new and did the background check. Do you need to do a bill of sell or transfer it to someone else's name or what? This is all new to me,i just want to make sure the sell is legal.
Is their a website to get factual info on this subject?

I did mention selling it to someone at $400.00 and their already very interested and want to see it. i don't think i will have a problem selling it for that.

bigStag
September 9, 2011, 07:15 PM
For $400 I'd sell and be very happy. Considering you can get a new one for $500. If you're patient you can find Glock 22 for around $300.

Winchester_73
September 9, 2011, 07:16 PM
I would sell it to a private person if it were me. In my state, PA, any non antique handgun is supposed to be transferred. Compared to what the shop offers you vs the difficulty of selling to a private party, it can be $100s in difference, which is worth my little bit of elbow grease. I've bought and sold enough to have a feel for shady people, people that say they want the gun, but then say they won't do a transfer IE a felon most times or perhaps a stubborn old man. Others know little about it but then say they want it, which often times means they could change their mind. Still others you can tell are wheeler dealers who will either low ball you on the phone or in person. There are warning signs for each type of person, generally speaking.

I know that if I really want the gun, I will do a transfer every time because eventually you forget the transfer experience and fee but the ownership of the gun and the memories associated last a lifetime.

Btw, when selling to a private person, its expected that the BUYER ponies up the transfer fees unless there is of course some other pre-arranged deal regarding the fees.

IMO, there is almost no way an FFL would offer $300 for such a glock. Its a common gun and 40s seem to be less desireable than 9s. I would guess the dealer to offer $200 to $250, on a good day. Glocks last a long time, and the used market is flooded with the common models such as yours. If you had like a model 29 glock or a 36 or some other more obscure model, that could change things a bit but not drastically. Keep in mind for the FFL with used glocks, many people HATE glocks and still others have ones from the 80s that still work great. They cannot afford to pay a lot for them considering everything. Its not like a series 70 colt or some hard to find S&W, etc, where there is rarity/demand. Its kind of like the nature of the beast here devalues it between the production numbers, quality, and design, its almost as if they're so good that they're not worth much used (to a gunshop esp) and occasionally hard to sell, if that makes any sense.

HKFan9
September 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
We pay $200 for used Glocks in good shape.

TailGator
September 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
Only an idiot sells or trade in guns at a gunstore.

This idiot has earned a doctorate from a major university and is a respected medical professional as well as a pianist and choral conductor of some repute.

I sold a revolver at a LGS because I was willing to accept a lower price to gain the insurance that the buyer would undergo a background check and the gun would therefore stand a significantly lower chance of winding up in criminal hands.

Not everyone who disagrees with you, or even those who have different values than you, is an idiot.

ftballgod
September 10, 2011, 11:11 AM
1. why would you get rid of a gen 3 for a gen 4. glock took a step back with the gen 4s if i were you. i would keep the glock you have.

2. also if i were you, i would do my best to sell to someone privately. if you cant find someone or your state laws suck on gun sales, then post it for sale on this forum. lots of people looking for guns here. you should have no problem selling it on here. you can do it face to face, or you can ship it to someone out of state.

HKFan9
September 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
I sold a revolver at a LGS because I was willing to accept a lower price to gain the insurance that the buyer would undergo a background check and the gun would therefore stand a significantly lower chance of winding up in criminal hands.

When you transfer a gun at the gun store anyways, which is required in PA for a handgun, we DO perform a background check on the person buying the gun from you, and charge about 20-30$ to do the transfer paperwork.

AKsRul.e
September 10, 2011, 12:15 PM
I once traded a Taurus in on a S&W M49 at a Gander Mountain store.

I think I got the Better Deal.

;)

JWT
September 10, 2011, 01:40 PM
You can figure about 60% of retail value here. If you're trading in for another gun you pay sales tax on the difference between the purchased gun and the trade in so you're doing a bit better than the 60%.

Twoglocks
September 10, 2011, 04:17 PM
I would try to sell it on consignment. I've sold my XD45 for $525 minus 20%.
Still much more than Cabela's offered

8shot357
September 10, 2011, 04:20 PM
7jinxed7

No where?

it's not worth....