PDA

View Full Version : SIG P238 Comments

Dondor
September 8, 2011, 06:26 PM
Purchased a Sig P238 in Full Black Nitron with Night Sights 2 weeks ago and thought I would share my thoughts on it.

Other Def. HG is Glock 22.

First thoughts were how small and well put together it was. Also this was my first time with a SA, so this was a learning experience as well.

To date I have put 675 rounds though it, with the majority being FMJ variety.
200 WWB 300 Rem UMC 150 TUL 25 Horn Crit Def.

Magazines purchased were 1 factory SIG, 1 factory Colt Mustang.

Let me start off with the problems I have encountered.

TUL ammo. 150 full rounds 10 FTF on first strike, 4 FTF totally. Never going to purchase this brand again. NO FTF with the WWB or UMC.
Colt Mustang magazine, around 40% I experience a FTE on the last round. No FTE on either of the factory magazines.
I have read about the problems with Glock Gen4 ejecting to the face. Ejections were normal, none to the face. :D

Living in the SE it gets a bit warm here even indoor ranges. Getting a firm grip on the gun both 1h and 2h for the first 4 shots the gun felt planted, the last 2 it felt as if it had slipped up in my hand. There are vertical lines on the front and backstrap that kept it from moving laterally in my hand but nothing to keep the pistol from moving vertically. I am going to find some grip tape, or hunt a gunsmith that might do checkering on the front and back.

One of the "quirks" about the gun, and I haven't decided if it is me or the gun is that on the first round from a full 6 round magazine the gun sometimes will not go into battery, either by releasing the latch, or slingshot. Every so often you will need to give the slide a bit of help. Maybe the gunsmith will be able to polish the ramp. On a side note, I have only put 25 rounds of pure SD ammo through it, so on the next trip I will be checking this "problem" out thouroughly.

Good news is the gun is accurate. More accurate than I am capable of at the moment. Double taps at close range 15' I keep them all in the right place.
The recoil is not anything to write home about. Never have shot anything smaller than a 4" 38 SPL, and I shoot alot of 40 and .44MAG rounds so I am not recoil sensitive.

Can't think of anything else to report about the gun. I like it. Expensive, but worth it to me.

RKG
September 8, 2011, 09:44 PM
Get rid of the Mustang magazine and buy a couple of "third generation" magazines made for the P238, either from Sig Sauer itself or http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p238-380-acp-6rd-magazine.html

Aiko
September 8, 2011, 10:41 PM
Owned the gun for @ 9 months before I decided I could do w/my G26. The Sig replaced my Kahr P380 which was a nightmare. I put @ somewhere between 600-800 rounds through the Sig-not one jam or issue. My personal carry round was Buffalo Bore 100 gr hardcast. IMO in .380 it is the only option. Dondor, where are you located?

icedog88
September 9, 2011, 05:24 AM
I couldn't agree more in regards to TULA ammo in my P238. I use the PMC brand and have had no issues whatsoever. SD rounds are Hornady critical defense as well. Again, no problems with those either although I have only shot about 100. The mag I just ordered is the 7 rnd SIG which does help with retaining the weapon in the same position while shooting. Sucks that it took 7 wks on back order to get it from SIG though! Enjoy this gem. Daily carry this summer.

RamItOne
September 9, 2011, 10:18 AM
I was drooling over the P238 till I realized it was SA, would have been an awesome pocket pistol. I love my SW BG .380

HisSoldier
September 9, 2011, 12:22 PM
Of course I object to the plastic trigger and mainspring housing, I spent extra because I dislike aluminum in handguns, the HD has none.

RickB
September 9, 2011, 01:32 PM
I was drooling over the P238 when I realized it was SA. :)
No ambi safety, no P238 for me.

lcpiper
September 9, 2011, 02:13 PM
I really like my P238 a lot. There isn't a DAO made that can keep up with it in accurate rate of fire. Come to think of it, is there a DA/SA in the same class?

RamItOne
September 9, 2011, 07:06 PM
RickB I'm a lefty, but I am ambidextrous, I keep the BG in my right pocket, that safety is real stout. I figure I'm not gonna be shooting apples off of heads. So don't let not having an ambi safety keep you from buying a nice pocket pistol. I think SA for concealed carry (pref pocket carry) is just a bad idea.

Lcpiper- a .380 pocket pistol is a "get away from me" gun, just pop pop pop in the chest. It all depends on what you want the pistol for.

If they start to make a P238 in DA I'll be one of the first ones in line. I like the titanium one.....

Dondor
September 9, 2011, 08:01 PM
Memphis