PDA

View Full Version : RIA 1911 (Pulled the trigger on a new one)

kemassey
September 8, 2011, 05:32 PM
I just ordered a new RIA 1911 GI commander. They are hard to find but did get one online. I'm hoping that this is a good pistol for the money. I would have preferred a Colt but finances won't allow that right now. Is there anything that I need to do before shooting this the first time? This has a bull barrel. Do I need to use the standard takedown method of pulling the slide back and removing the slide stop lever? I didn't find any bad reviews but I know you get what you pay for. I'm excited to get it next week.

gyvel
September 8, 2011, 05:37 PM
The Armscor company has been around for a while. The RIA pistols are decently made out of reasonably good materials. The cost is somewhat low because you are talking about a country where most working people make about $200.00-300.00 a month.

Mrgunsngear
September 8, 2011, 07:04 PM
I have a couple RIA 1911's and love them. For the $, they're the best 1911's out there IMO. There customer service is also great. I was detail stripping mine on Sunday and noticed the MSH spring retaining pin was bent. I shot an email to Ivan at armscor ([email protected]) and he responded bright and early on Tuesday that a new one was on the way free of charge. Can't beat that for service!

Great guns and a great company.

Before taking it out the first time you just need to clean it pretty thoroughly. I take mine apart the standard way that you described. Both of mine came pretty heavily coated in packing grease... I also polished my feed ramps (because the machine marks annoyed me to look at), not that you need to or should. I don't want to start a polish the feedramp or not debate but that's all I did. As you can see by my RIA reviews on here, both guns functioned extremely well out of the box except for when I used Chip McCormick mags. Don't know why, but that's what I've found.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/mail-6.jpg

gyvel
September 9, 2011, 02:38 AM
I forgot to mention in my previous post that I purchased a couple of Armscor frames a couple years ago from Sarco and built .45 shooters on them using Brazilian slides and GI parts. They went together perfectly with virtually NO fitting, and both shoot flawlessly and reliably.

icedog88
September 9, 2011, 05:07 AM
I have an Officer model with the bull barrel and I do take it down as you describe. IMO, you will get more than what you paid for with this purchase. I am thrilled with mine.

10mm4ever
September 9, 2011, 07:25 AM
The RI's are great buys! They tend to be extremely reliable and accurate and need nothing more than better sights.

kemassey
September 9, 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I should receive it in the next week or so. Can I install the sights myself or do I need to have a smith do it? I personally like the the sights on my 1991 Colt. The RIA sights look to be lower profile than the colt. Can't wait to shoot it.:)

Mrgunsngear
September 9, 2011, 06:21 PM
If you can change dovetail sights then you can change these. I put a Fusion fiber optic front sight on my RIA Tactical 2011 1911. It took about 30 minutes total with filing/fitting. Here's how it looks now:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/mail-1-1.jpg

(and yes--I know the safety's not on, I just safety checked it before the photo...)

icedog88
September 10, 2011, 06:27 AM
If they have GI sights,you may be able to do the rear. My front sight was staked in so I sent my slide to Tooltech Gunsight and had Trijicon night sights put on. IIRC, $189 for sights and install. Check them out. GREAT customer service as I had so many questions about it, I was in constant contact with them. No hassle shipping as you just send the slide, so no FFL shipping or stuff like that.

Sarge
September 10, 2011, 06:37 AM
Rocks are probably the best low-buck 1911 on the market.

franco45
September 10, 2011, 09:07 PM
I just got back from shooting my two tone tactical. The RIA 1911s are as many have said great value guns.