PDA

View Full Version : Slim Carry pistol.. help me choose from these 3

Elliottsdad
September 7, 2011, 08:05 PM
I'm looking for a small, slim pistol that I can carry year-round in Nebraska (extreme heat/humidity, extreme cold). Researched these 3 for countless hours, but haven't got a chance to shoot them (but have fondled a few at the gun store).
Any reccomendations/thoughts? I'm not super picky about caliber (as long as its .380 or above), so I'm not focusing too much on that.

10-96
September 7, 2011, 09:20 PM
Unless I'm wrong, that XD really isn't all that slim. I voted for the Colt based on what you listed.

If I could add one to your list, it would be the Sig 239. It's plenty slim and easy handling.

Whether you go slim or not is really a deal buster/heartbreaker/whatever if you don't put it in a quality holster. Don't be affraid to spend a little $$ on a good holster, becasue the cheap ones tend to either be one-size fits most, cater to the tacticool crowd, or just plain designed to be produced very cheaply and inexpensively. A good one will keep about anything you want tight and snug against your body.

Shadi Khalil
September 7, 2011, 09:23 PM
If slim is what your looking for then the any of the Kahr line or the Walther PPS will suit you fine..

bossman
September 7, 2011, 10:01 PM
With what you list for sure the 45 Colt New Agent would be my choice. To me it's far and away the top gun.

C0untZer0
September 7, 2011, 10:35 PM
PM9 is winning...

Yay !

Don Glock
September 7, 2011, 10:41 PM
of those three, colt new agent.

phatspeed7x
September 7, 2011, 10:47 PM
Kel Tec PF9. Save money.

Bernie Lomax
September 7, 2011, 10:55 PM
Kel Tec PF9. Save money.

The Ruger LC9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLxP6Kywzk) would give him a lot more quality for only a little more money.

tahunua001
September 8, 2011, 12:00 AM
of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns.

the colt is a very nice gun but a metal on metal gun has more of a chance of freeze locking in extreme cold.

the XDs get a bad rap but they are good little guns, they are accurate, comfortable(subjective), and reliable at any naturally occurring weather temp. some of them have issues with rust if you sweat on them all day long, all of the guys I've seen with this problem this pack IWB in the flat of their back to that's naturally going to saturate any gun in sweat. there are a few companies sell a silicone spray that gives your gun an extra level of protection against rust. and ive never heard of the XDMs having this problem but they only come in compact(no subs).

S_Constitutionist
September 8, 2011, 12:16 AM
The Ruger LC9 would give him a lot more quality for only a little more money.

According to whom?

Higher MSRP =/= better quality, as many of us (including myself) have learned before.

I have owned both an LC9 and a PF9 and while the LC9 was prettier, the PF9 exhibited zero issues over 700 rounds while the LC9 had numerous FTE issues (note that I performed a fluff and buff on the PF9. The PF9 also has a better trigger and far fewer lawyer components (manual safety, LCI, etc). FWIW, I sold my LC9 and the PF9 has taken over EDC during the summer :)

From your list, PM9 all the way... but I'd also look at some of the new entrants in the "pocket" pistols. The Kahr CM9 is on my soon to buy list...

of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns.

:confused: Hooey.

JustThisGuy
September 8, 2011, 01:59 AM
Walther PPS. Absolutely the best pistol in the group. Just about a perfect trigger.

AustinTX
September 8, 2011, 02:04 AM
Walther PPS. Absolutely the best pistol in the group. Just about a perfect trigger.

Yep. Best of breed, hands down.

Stressfire
September 8, 2011, 08:51 AM
Went with the Colt if the 3 listed are the choices, but none are terribly slim if that's what your looking at.

RetiredMajor
September 8, 2011, 08:58 AM
"of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns."

That's a load of hooey! I've owned two Kahr's for a number of years now. Thousands of rounds down range with zero problems. They are small, thin, ultra reliable and very accurate. My PM9 is my EDC.

I also own an XD Subcompact 9 mm. Nice gun, very reliable and tough. But not thin with it's double stack magazine.

Can't speak to the Colt - I don't own one.

Best of luck,
Major

MikeGunz
September 8, 2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah my buddy has the xd9 sub compact. It is certainly not the smallest ccw weapon out there. but a good gun for sure. Ive heard nothing but good about the kahrs never held one but seen them at the gun shop and theyre tiny. Also have you looked at the ruger Lc9?

cavediver27
September 8, 2011, 09:04 AM
Walther PPS :D You can't do better than that for a thin, reliable, accurate and well made cary pistol.

threegun
September 8, 2011, 09:08 AM
My PM9 has worked its way into my Koolaid soaked self defense rotation. Easy to carry even with little clothing. Reliable so far with several hundred down range, half being hollowpoints. I'm not going to replace my Glocks but its a great companion so far.

MJ45
September 8, 2011, 09:10 AM
Can't help you here, I'd choose a Glock 36. thin, 45acp, rugged.:cool:

ken2925
September 8, 2011, 09:22 AM
I have the Kahr CW9 and the SA XD compact 9mm. The Kahr has never given me any problems, and the SA compact 9mm did not after I fired several boxes of ammo thru it. If size is important I would go with the Kahr. If you want more rounds then the XD is choice. That said, I carry the Kahr more than the XD. Hope this helps, KC.

tahunua001
September 8, 2011, 09:30 AM
"of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns."

That's a load of hooey! I've owned two Kahr's for a number of years now. Thousands of rounds down range with zero problems. They are small, thin, ultra reliable and very accurate. My PM9 is my EDC.

I'm not going to argue. I'm just going to give a short first hand account.
I bought a CW40 a while back for a concealed carry gun and took it out every other weekend to get it broken in. it had about a FTF or FTE about once every box for the first 200 rounds and then it smoothed out. however between 3 seasoned shooters niether myself, my brother or my brother in law could hit a torso at 15 yards. I thought it might just be issues with us but then after about 400 rounds the slide locked back after every single shot. I called kahr and the rep told me that they recommend sending it in for servicing every 250 rounds or so...I dont know about you but that's a terrible gun, I sold it and immediately got a sp101 instead, failure free and a tackdriver since the day I bought it.

if you build a gun that needs to be broken in and never fired again then you can shove it where the sun dont shine.

hulley
September 8, 2011, 09:34 AM
The line about the Kahrs being fragile cracks me up:rolleyes:. My Kahr CW9 is a great pistol, very accurate and 100% reliable plus has a great smooth trigger. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

hulley
September 8, 2011, 09:37 AM
I'm on kahrtalk.com a little bit, especially when I was looking to buy and after I had bought. I've never heard anyone say anything even remotely close to "servicing every 250rds". Honestly I never would have bought it either if that was the case. My next carry will be a M&P 9c, but I wouldnt sell the Kahr to get it.

threegun
September 8, 2011, 09:41 AM
My PM9 is as accurate as I am. At 10yards if I pull the smooth trigger properly its in the bullseye. Not bad for such a small gun.

Silent Bob
September 8, 2011, 09:45 AM
The XD SubCompact is not a slim choice and is to me at least incredibly thick blocky in the hand.

I have not shot one but I would consider the Ruger LC9 as an option. It would seem to fit what you are looking for.

graysmoke
September 8, 2011, 09:46 AM
The Bersa Thunder .380 Pistol.

Slim
Compact
Lightweight
Accurate
Dependable
Quality Made
AFFORDABLE

What else can you ask for?
But from those three names.....Springfield 9mm

C0untZer0
September 8, 2011, 09:47 AM
Since when is a Glock thin?

Does Glock make a Glock that I don't know about?

Are we saying a Glock is thin compared to a Deseart Eagle .50 AE ??? A Glock is thin compared to Roseann Barr ?

How is a Glock thin?

dreamweaver
September 8, 2011, 10:23 AM
of the 3 listed, the PM9 is best for year round carry. very easy to conceal and very reliable after it's broken in. i carried in a smart carry w/o issue.
the colt new agent is not that small of a gun. it's the same frame as the defender .45 i can't carry the defender unless it's under a coat. just too big for me to conceal well.
a better choice would be the agent/defender 9mm
better yet is the EMP9. i'm a skinny runt and the emp is easy to carry concealed. they also have it in .40.
just my 2c

GreySmoke
September 8, 2011, 10:31 AM
I recently came across this little guy you might be interested in.

http://www.sccyindustries.com/

Uncle Malice
September 8, 2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Yep. Best of breed, hand down.

This.

You forgot to add it to your poll. I voted Colt instead - put I'd steer you back to the PPS is possible.

Carry_24/7
September 8, 2011, 11:03 AM
Another vote for the PPS

RetiredMajor
September 8, 2011, 11:08 AM
The Kahr also has the new CM9 which I haven't held yet. Might be a good fit for you.

RetiredMajor
September 8, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm not going to argue. I'm just going to give a short first hand account.
I bought a CW40 a while back for a concealed carry gun and took it out every other weekend to get it broken in. it had about a FTF or FTE about once every box for the first 200 rounds and then it smoothed out. however between 3 seasoned shooters niether myself, my brother or my brother in law could hit a torso at 15 yards. I thought it might just be issues with us but then after about 400 rounds the slide locked back after every single shot. I called kahr and the rep told me that they recommend sending it in for servicing every 250 rounds or so...I dont know about you but that's a terrible gun, I sold it and immediately got a sp101 instead, failure free and a tackdriver since the day I bought it.

if you build a gun that needs to be broken in and never fired again then you can shove it where the sun dont shine.

I think you were all limpwristing it. ha ha ha Seriously, you expect us to believe that Kahr Customer Service told you to send the gun in every 250 rounds. THAT is funny!

Big V
September 8, 2011, 03:36 PM
I'm gonna throw another in the picture. Sig 232. Very nice pistol. Very reliable. Very concealable. Forget about Khar, forget about Ruger, forget about Glock, go with tried and true a real concealable pistol Sig Sauer P232.:D
JMHO

Glad to be here!

jimbob86
September 8, 2011, 03:48 PM
Which trigger type do you shoot best?

DAO? (I think the Kahr is, not sure.)

DA/SA? (Like a Berretta 92 or 96)

Striker fired? (XD, I think ....)

SA? (The New Agent is the 1911 with the funky sight channel instead of traditional sights, right?)

S_Constitutionist
September 8, 2011, 04:33 PM
I am a single action guy all the way IF I have a choice... my winter carry gun is an STI 1911 (also used in USPSA) and a Hi Power shares both duties along with IDPA.

If I knew I was going to be in a pistol fight, I'd bring one of those two. That being said, many of these small pistols are designed for up close and personal work where a long double action pull may be more desirable due to not having a manual safety. I also think its important to be versatile... My little PF9 took some time to get used to, but now i'm happy with controlled pairs at 7 yards and thats what I bought it for.

The only trigger system that I'll never own is a DA/SA - It seems silly to me, but a lot of folks like them.

jimbob86
September 8, 2011, 04:48 PM
I think it a bad idea to mix trigger/safety system/manual of arms/holsters ...... at crunchtime, you may do like that guy from Texas...... he had been shooting with two different holsters and guns..... got confused and shot himself in the leg ..... on youtube.....

Shoot one system. It would be a bad thing to practice a lot with a PF9 and then be Carrying a 1911 or Hi-Power and be yanking on the trigger to no avail...... having your thumb's muscle memory forgotten it needed to swipe the safety off on the draw........ meanwhile, Karl Krackhead is beatin' on your coconut with whatever is handy......

I Carry a 1911 ...... and do not shoot DA's ........ I even shoot my DA revolvers SA, most of the time, and I don't Carry them.

vyse.04
September 8, 2011, 05:21 PM
I called kahr and the rep told me that they recommend sending it in for servicing every 250 rounds or so...I dont know about you but that's a terrible gun, I sold it and immediately got a sp101 instead, failure free and a tackdriver since the day I bought it.

To me that is silly. I have read about your issues that you had with Kahr, but to say every Kahr is fragile because of your experience with ONE handgun is a bit extreme. I really like my K9 (I am normally not one to bash brands or worship them for that matter) and there are plenty of others who feel the same. That mention of servicing every 250 rounds is a little off to say the least, and I'm not sure that there is a single person working in the customer support area who would say that. To be honest, if I heard that I would immediately ask to speak with someone who knows what they are talking about.

As far as the poll, I would say to look at the PM9/MK9 or P9/K9. I originally wanted to buy a PM9, but they were a little too small for my liking so I went with a K9. To me the extra weight is a blessing, and I prefer the full grip while still retaining the slim profile. Also, I wouldn't say that the XD is slim given all the choices you have with a single stack design.

Doug11606
September 8, 2011, 05:29 PM
I have a Glock model 36 (45 cal.). It is small in size which makes it a good choice for a carry weapon. It is only a single row mag which reduces the width of the grip. This results in the gun having a good feel in your hand. The accuracy is good. The down side is if you shoot rounds larger than 185 grain it tends to be a pinky pincher. All and all I am happy with the model 36 and would recommend to others.

Hope this helps.

RC20
September 8, 2011, 05:51 PM
Hijack Notice: They are for us old farts who grew up mostly with revolvers and 1911s and just can't stand something that looks like it will go boom by looking at it!

The only trigger system that I'll never own is a DA/SA - It seems silly to me, but a lot of folks like them.

Mrgunsngear
September 8, 2011, 07:00 PM
My Kahr CM9 has been 100% and is plenty accurate for SD purposes. Second choice would be the 45. I had 2 XDs (including a 9mm compact) and both weren't as reliable as my Glocks, FNs, S&Ws, or my Kahr. I know others love them, but I wasn't impressed.

Sharpsdressed Man
September 8, 2011, 07:09 PM
Don't know where this "fits" between all the others, but the S&W 3913/3914 series (especially the ones with the single sided safety, like the Ladysmith style) are especially flat, and have an almost perfect reputation for reliability, quality, and accuracy. They have very flat, Delrin grips, that add little to the girth of the gun. Very easy to conceal, and even easier to shoot. I've even concealed one on the ankle.

Don Glock
September 8, 2011, 07:21 PM

Are we saying a Glock is thin compared to a Deseart Eagle .50 AE ??? A Glock is thin compared to Roseann Barr ?

How is a Glock thin?
C0untZer0 is offline Report Post

g36.

AustinTX
September 8, 2011, 08:17 PM
at crunchtime, you may do like that guy from Texas

That idiot is not from Texas.

Justice06RR
September 8, 2011, 09:00 PM
My vote is for the XD. tough as nails and I've never heard anyone having any type of issues with this gun at all. I'm sure there are a rare few, but its very remote. I've owned one, and if reliability is your main concern vs slimness then XD is the way to go.

orionengnr
September 8, 2011, 09:16 PM
and we all know what those are like... :)
I'd like to see some supporting documentation for this assertion. My experience is 180 degrees out. Kahr had some problem PM9s within a certain s/n range (mine included) and fixed them quickly and effectively. After it's one trip back, mine has worked perfectly for the last five years...including daily carry and weekly range sessions for 3 1/2 years.
I have owned a lot of handguns of varying calibers. The only sub-.45acp pistols I currently own are the PM9 and and LCP. These days, I carry a .45 every day, so the PM9 and LCP spend most of their time in the safe...but I'm not selling either one.
I called kahr and the rep told me that they recommend sending it in for servicing every 250 rounds or so...
This is BS, pure and simple.

There is no double-stack anything that qualifies as "slim".
Period. End of story. If you want a slim, concealable pistol of any caliber, a single stack is the only option.

michael t
September 9, 2011, 12:39 AM
I would choose Colt of the 3 listed But would be Defender I have Agent and Defender I like shooting the Defender better. Both are 100% reliable with any ammo I have tried . I carry with the Corbon DPX .

dajowi
September 9, 2011, 01:08 AM
If I was considering a Kahr, I'd skip the poly version and get the stainless. I had a K-9 and it was almost the perfect CCW. Never a problem with the gun. Made use of their customer service and found it better than most.

Had a Glock 36 at one point. I wouldn't call it slim by any means and like the Kahr, it fired everything with out issue.

AZAK
September 9, 2011, 02:49 AM
There is no double-stack anything that qualifies as "slim".
Period. End of story. If you want a slim, concealable pistol of any caliber, a single stack is the only option.

If the OP is considering a Colt 1911/New Agent as an option, then I personally have two double stacked pistols that are just as slim or slimmer.

Wilson Combat KZ-45. Double stacked .45auto 10 round mag in a 1911. I measured mine and it's slightly thinner than all of my other 1911s (single stack mags in Government, Commander, and Officer's) across the grips.

Ruger SR9c. Double stacked 9mm 10 round and 17 round mags, also thin across the grips; widest point on the grips is just over an inch.

So, if really depends on what we define "slim" as. Colt 1911 slim? or Ruger LCP slim?

(And yes, I do CC both of these pistols; the WC being Government sized and the SR9c being roughly equivalent to a Colt Officer's in size.)

tahunua001
September 9, 2011, 04:46 AM
again, I'm not looking to argue. I'm just stating a first hand account. I'll be happy to provide documentation for a 2 year old phone converstaion.

all text involved in said phone call will be located between the brackets.

[]

that about sums up the documentation I have on that phone call. I dont like being called a liar but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions

TheJ
September 9, 2011, 05:03 AM
PM9

spodwo
September 9, 2011, 05:16 AM
Nothing slim about an XD and nothing small about the .45. PM9. Mine is addictive. I seem to shoot it twice as much as any other handgun. I just like the way it feels, shoots. I read the negatives and was concerned at first. Plus I think 200 round "break in" periods are BS. But mine? No issues at ALL shooting Wally World cheap ammo: WWB, Tula and Federal.

Probably close to 700 rounds now and not one issue.

hawk727
September 9, 2011, 05:20 AM
I carry a mk9 stainless during summer months. It is small & thin and I have never had a problem with it. Probably has 800-900 rounds through it.

Sparks1957
September 9, 2011, 05:29 AM
I'm a big fan of my Kahr CW9. I've had mine a couple months now, and it has about 500 rounds without a hitch. Every machine has some degree of break-in, whether anyone wants to admit or not. Clean/lube your Kahr when you get it, rack the slide a few hundred times, and run it wet at the range... they settle in nicely if one does that.

I'm also a fan of the S&W 3900 (3914, 3914, 3906, 3954, 908) series. I carried a 3913 for years... extremely small and concealable back before subcompact 9s came into fashion.

Elliottsdad
September 9, 2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all your advice so far! Lots of votes for the Kahr. I'm almost a little bummed the Springfield (although thicker) got the least votes- because it would be easiest on my wallet! What if I were to add value to the question?

I read a little about the PPS many reccomended, and am now considering that as well. Are there any other models out there that should be added to this list?

TheJ
September 9, 2011, 10:00 AM
If money is that much of a concern then I would just go for the Cm9 instead of the pm. Almost the same for considerably less.

spodwo
September 9, 2011, 11:28 AM
I read a little about the PPS many reccomended, and am now considering that as well. Are there any other models out there that should be added to this list

Well - I always liked that PPS except for this....some said it was a weakness in the design. The thread below kind of turned me off to them.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461736&highlight=pps

Now - I read some bad things about the Kahrs also but still bought one.

TCL
September 9, 2011, 12:27 PM
Have you been to The Bullet Hole? They have a bunch of rental pistols - not sure if they have these three, but worth checking if you haven't been over there.

How much is weather really a factor? I didn't consider it at all when choosing my CCW, but then again I don't think of Omaha summers as being particularly hot or humid. At any rate, I carry a full-size 1911 and it hasn't bothered me this summer; I haven't carried it in winter yet but I don't think the cold should pose any particular difficulty.

Big V
September 9, 2011, 01:01 PM
I also like the older Walther PPK/s. I don't know if it was mentioned but they are very slim and very reliable. Also again it may have already been mentioned but Colt is about to reintroduce the Mustang. That is worth looking into only its single action only. The good thing about the Walther is its double action, the bad thing about the Walther is its aversion to some hollow points. I live in the south and man it gets hot.... on summer days I carry a Kel Tec p32 its small thin and very light. But believe me when that little pistol starts to bark it will get em off you quick, fast and in a hurry. JMHO:D

Glad to be here.

Big V
September 9, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm looking at the pistol models you posted and see that you have 9mm,40cal., and 45 acp. A really nice 45 out right now is made by Para- Ordnance I don't remember the model number but it a compact 45 acp with double action and I think it has a double stack mag. I don't own one but I was very close to getting one. I have a Springfield EMP 9mm that I use as a CCW very nice pistol. If I didn't already own the EMP I would be taking a serious look at the Para- Ordnance. JMO:D

Did I say how glad I am to be here!

dalegribble
September 9, 2011, 01:30 PM
not one of the three guns listed but i have a taurus model 709 slim that i like very much. it is a single stack 9mm about as thick as a deck of cards. it works well and has good combat accuracy.

MJ45
September 9, 2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:

How is a Glock thin?
C0untZer0 is offline Report Post

check out the dimensions for width, appears to me the g36 is thinner. besides i said it would be MY choice. it's a good knock around gun, easy to hold when your hands are wet or cold, tough finish, not much to break on it.;)

Big V
September 9, 2011, 02:08 PM
The one thing you want most of all is reliability in a C/C pistol. It has to work every time. Cost should not matter. I have very expensive and very inexpensive pistols and the one criteria is that they have to hit point of aim and utterly reliable. IMO:D

I just saved a ton of money on my insurance!

tomwalshco
September 11, 2011, 04:53 PM
PM9, hands down. A mm here and a few ozs there makes a big difference lugging that thing around all day. I have a Colt Defender and love it, but for carry, who has time for fussing with safeties, triggers, et al. XD subcompact? maybe compared to a Desert Eagle. G36 is smaller. I got one of them, too and will carry it when I'm all bundled up in the winter....

jimbob86
September 11, 2011, 09:18 PM
I also like the older Walther PPK/s. I don't know if it was mentioned but they are very slim and very reliable.

I've only seen one in the wild (not in a glass display case) and it was choking like a goose trying to swallow a grapefruit.

Big V
September 12, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have a Walther PPK/s that is very reliable. Honestly I enjoy carrying it the most. I find it very reliable. I have it loaded with some powerball ammo and it is very reliable.:) This is one that was made in Germany and imported by Interarms.:)

vyse.04
September 12, 2011, 03:36 PM
If money is that much of a concern then I would just go for the Cm9 instead of the pm. Almost the same for considerably less.

This... You can find CM9s for less than XDs as well. Google the differences between a PM9 and CM9. Not a whole lot aside from traditional barrel and less machining on the CM.