PDA

View Full Version : glock 19 round ejection problems

loose_holster_dan
September 7, 2011, 02:30 PM
i just picked up a glock 19 last week, and specifically picked out a gen 3 because i heard the gen 4 had problems with failure to completely eject a spent round. this weekend i took my gen 3 out to shoot. it seemed to do just fine at the range, but when i got it outside and tried some rapid fire, i would get a stove-pipe every few mags. has anyone else had this problem?

ps - ignore the signature this time. i am actually asking about your glock :D

Mudinyeri
September 7, 2011, 02:33 PM
What ammo?

loose_holster_dan
September 7, 2011, 02:34 PM
American eagle brass. Can't remember what grain.

9mm
September 7, 2011, 02:42 PM
Stove pipe, isnt that when the round is under charged and the slide closes fast and theres not enough time to eject?

I had a few of these with my old spring, no more problems after I got my gen 4 Glock spring changed.

Amin Parker
September 7, 2011, 03:09 PM
My Glock 19 stove pipes when i shoot from the weapon retention position. I can set my watch to it happening with all 9mm ammo iv tried.

My 19s and 21 are very nice range toys though. I flat out dont trust the Glock brand for any form of defence duty. My 21 was easily the worst gun iv ever ever bought.

precision_shooter
September 7, 2011, 03:43 PM
Almost sounds like a limp wristing issue during the mag dump. Letting the pistol rock too much in your hand and not allowing the RSA to do it's job and cycle fully.

geetarman
September 7, 2011, 04:05 PM
My 21 was easily the worst gun iv ever ever bought.

I have shot my 21 a LOT and I have had no issue with the gun at all.

OTOH I had a Ruger MKIII that was just no good for me.

I hate to hear your experience with the G21. It really is, for the people I talk to, a really reliable and accurate handgun.

Geetarman:D

Amin Parker
September 7, 2011, 04:19 PM
Geetarman,

I accept that gun is a lemon.

Mrgunsngear
September 7, 2011, 07:51 PM
The same extractor problems people are reporting on the Gen4's are also happening on the new Gen3s because Glock is now using the same extractors on both.

I'd call Glock and I'm sure they'll help you out. I have both the Gen3 and Gen4 and had problems with the Gen4. After calling Glock, they sent me the 0-4-3 spring and the gun's been 100% since. Point being, they took great care of me and I'm sure they'll help you fix this issue.

Their number is 770-432-1202.

Don Glock
September 7, 2011, 08:00 PM
change your extractor. my gen3 19 did the same thing. gaston's idiots kids are running the company into the ground.

8shot357
September 7, 2011, 08:02 PM
I heard they had problems too when you installed a light, or what ever to the frame rail. I think it was fixed when you change out the recoil spring.

8shot357
September 7, 2011, 08:05 PM
I'd call Glock and I'm sure they'll help you out. I have both the Gen3 and Gen4 and had problems with the Gen4. After calling Glock, they sent me the 0-4-3 spring and the gun's been 100% since. Point being, they took great care of me and I'm sure they'll help you fix this issue.

Was that a heavier spring or lighter? I'm guessing the 0-4-3 is a progressive numbers. 0lbs at rest 4lbs half way and 3lbs at full recoil. Just a guess.

Don Glock
September 7, 2011, 08:32 PM
I heard they had problems too when you installed a light, or what ever to the frame rail. I think it was fixed when you change out the recoil spring.

that was only with some (albeit a fair amount of) gen3 22/23's.

madmag
September 7, 2011, 09:55 PM
Just for info. American Eagle runs hotter than most normal FMJ stuff. Close to NATO standards, so weak charge should not be the problem.

Fiocchi and S&B also run hotter than normal.

tahunua001
September 7, 2011, 11:50 PM
My Glock 19 stove pipes when i shoot from the weapon retention position. I can set my watch to it happening with all 9mm ammo iv tried.

My 19s and 21 are very nice range toys though. I flat out dont trust the Glock brand for any form of defence duty. My 21 was easily the worst gun iv ever ever bought.

YES!!!! I finally have ammo for when "glock knockers" are talking crap about my XDMS :D haha sorry guy, sounds like you might have gotten one of 0.001% of glocks that turn out to be lemons.

OP,
now that glock is starting to outsource to MiM parts the GEN4s and even new GEN3s are starting to go down hill fast. it's predominately either the springs or the extractors(the springs being GEN4 specific) so I would say call them up and get a new extractor, they have excellent customer service and they'll usually throw in a few extra mags just for your trouble if you have to send it in.

OvationMartin
February 9, 2012, 06:18 AM
It's like this loose_holster_dan....
The cushoining your providing as each round is fired is detrimantal to the ejection of the casing on the Gen 3. Absorbtion though your arms and soft hold are having a effect dis-allowing the firearm to do it's job. If you hold it tight, it will eject every time. Loose,... you stove pipe. Hotter ammo is an alternative although a softer spring could have the same effect as long as you are willing not to change your style or share the firearm with a shooter that has a tighter control...
P.S.
This is for a 19 9mm...

In ref to the Gen 4, (.40 S&W) I have never had that issue.
Cheers!

loose_holster_dan
February 9, 2012, 07:53 AM
forgot to update this post. I loaded up the mags with hollow points and stuck them in the safe for a few months. When i took it back out it fired fine. Only thing i can think of is that the mag spring was too strong and was overpowering the ejector.

Will Beararms
February 9, 2012, 09:10 AM
Were you one who thought GM would never go under? I was. This may sound extreme but either Glock gets this situation under control or they will be on the scrap heap. The combination of these issues focused with the chaos of the Glock family for reasons I will not mention could do it.

The whole purpose behind buying a Glock is because, prior to the Gen. 4 models, it was the one handgun you could take out of a box without so much as a wipe down and depend upon it to save your life.

If we want to tinker, we buy 1911's. When we buy Glock, we expect them to work. Glock would do well to stop production until they get this situation handled and get enough Gen. 4 Recoil Spring Assemblies in house to meet demand to replace those that are out there not working.

RANT OFF

Look at your extractor. If it has "336" stamped on it, this may be the problem. You want an extractor with "30274" stamped on it.

Crow Hunter
February 9, 2012, 11:20 AM
Look at your extractor. If it has "336" stamped on it, this may be the problem. You want an extractor with "30274" stamped on it.

I think you meant ejector. :D

Will Beararms
February 9, 2012, 11:24 AM
Exactly Crow and allow me to take this time to express I am not a Glock hater but I am disappointed. I think they will right the ship so to speak but as one who has spent my life selling for a manufacturer, we STOP the ship when it gets off course, re-group and then get back on course. I think Glock will----is too.

Crow Hunter
February 9, 2012, 02:00 PM
I think it is a stack up problem with several different parts. I don't think it is any one magic bullet fix, unfortunately.

I actually had a G19 from 2007-8 timeframe (I think) it had a M prefix and it had exactly the same problem that everyone complains about now. Threw brass at my forhead, to the left :eek:, straight up. It also shot 4 inches to the left at 15 yards and would stove pipe at least once every 2 or 3 mags.

I finally sold it for $350 to someone who wanted a "fixer upper". I have 4 other G19s currently including 2 of the "bad ones". None of them have this issue. It defintely wouldn't keep me from buying one and if anyone is having problems with one, definitely contact Glock. They will most likely want the gun back (I think they are in data collection mode right now) and will fix you right up.

Incidently, anyone that is in the West TN area and you need help with yours, drop me a PM. I am a Certified Glock Armorer and I will be happy to help you out free of charge. (You have to buy your own parts though :D)