PDA

View Full Version : Glock 36 vs Sig 220 compact (or 245)

kokopelli
September 7, 2011, 01:41 PM
Does anyone have both, or experience with both?

Comparison between the two for every day carry is what I'm looking for; not a glock/sig battle over which is better. ;)

TunnelRat
September 7, 2011, 01:53 PM
Comparison between the two for every day carry is what I'm looking for; not a glock/sig battle over which is better.

You don't want a battle over which is better but you ask people to choose one? :confused: You're going to get a battle, no doubt about it. It is the nature of forums.

However, my actual question is how compact do you need it to be? SIGs are generally larger and heavier than many guns, certainly Glocks. If you want a truly small gun the Glock 36 will be better. Also what firing method do you prefer? Strikfer-fire or SA/DA? They are really quite different guns.:)

new_scopeshooter
September 7, 2011, 02:02 PM
In my opinion they are completly diff guns...I own a g36 its a nice gun. I have a buddy who has the sig also very nice! You should rent them both and see what works better for what you will be useing it for. Good luck! Ps I have a 220 full size.

kokopelli
September 7, 2011, 02:24 PM
I've had, carried and shot both lines- Glock 23, 22, Sig 220 (full size) P6, 228...so I'm familiar with both platforms, da/sa, dao...
What I'm wondering is how they both feel carrying...I know the Sig is going to be heavier, but is it an issue? So I was hoping someone with both guns could give me their opinion/experience.

Jeff OTMG
September 7, 2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, I have both. In fact I have two of the SIG, one a P245 and now a SAO P220C that I have not even shot yet. The SIG is much more pleasant to shoot, but are also larger than the G36. I am considering adopting the Glock as my new ankle gun to replace a Kahr MK9.

Ultimately it is what you want the gun for. If you like the a DA/SA trigger get the P220C or P245. If you want SAO and don't want to pay for a Colt 1911 Officers Model get a SIG P220C SA. If you have a bunch of Glocks and like the trigger system with the short reset get a G36. If you are recoil sensitive, get one of the SIGs. If you are going to shoot it a BUNCH, get a SIG. If you want to carry IWB and don't want to move up on the size of your pants and belt, get the Glock. If you want to carry it in your pocket, get the Glock. The Glock does offer more carry options, while the SIG tends to be only for waist or shoulder carry. In fact, if on a road trip and you wanted to shoulder carry, I normally use a Glock 23, but given your choices I would pick the SIG.

Noreaster
September 8, 2011, 05:34 AM
About eight years ago I went out with the intention of buying a G36 for off duty. Picking up both and handling them I preferred the G30. I know it's thicker and all but I just liked it better. For concealed carry I'd go with the Glock.

kokopelli
September 8, 2011, 05:46 AM
Jeff- that helped me decide. I'm mainly concerned with 'ease' of carry in the waistband...I think I'll go for the Glock 36!

kokopelli
September 8, 2011, 02:56 PM
my go to guy had two 36's...put a hold on one for me until next week. Glock night sights, 3 mags. Schweet!

Jeff OTMG
September 9, 2011, 12:46 PM
Good choice, just remember not fun to shoot, but if you do shoot it a lot don't plan on it lasting 20,000 rounds. Not made for that, but for carry IWB it will disappear with that short, skinny grip.