PDA

View Full Version : question about a Sig..

daliff89
September 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
i recently purchased a Sig P6, which i REALLY like

the only complaints i really have with it are the matte black sights and the heavy DA trigger

i know i can get night sights, and i'm willing to pay for them, but do i need the #6/#8 set or the #8/#8 set? and how much does it usually cost to have them installed? alternatively, i've seen those glow in the dark paints, does those work relatively well considering they're like 10% of the price of the night sights?

as far as the trigger goes, i did some searching and found a site that said P228 parts would fit, is this true? i don't necessarily want a hair trigger, and the SA trigger is just fine, so if i could replace it with a stock P228 trigger that's supposed to be about the same in SA and a little lighter in DA, that'd be awesome. if that's not true, where can i get a kit to lighten up the trigger just a little bit?

any help with this is greatly appreciated

Will Beararms
September 7, 2011, 12:23 PM
Contact Sig directly or Grey Guns. You can google either. They can set your P6 up like you want it.

If I were going to look at night sights, I would consider XS Sights. Again, you can google it. They can set the sights up for you as well.

Some of those P6's were carried a lot and shot a little. I would have someone look at smoothing up the ignition system you already have.

daliff89
September 7, 2011, 01:29 PM
to be honest, i'm a little hesitant to send the pistol to anyone for trigger work

not that i don't trust them to do what needs done or send the pistol back, it's that if i don't like it for some reason, i won't be able to change it back like i would if i just put in some springs or a different trigger

and i like those sights, just what size would i get? the #6 or #8 front? assuming i could find them locally and have them installed i'd need to know what size to get

darkroommike
September 7, 2011, 01:42 PM
If you like where your Sig hits now check the numbers on your current all black sights and replace them like for like. I bought some take off commercial Sig sights for a few bucks on eBay to replace my all black sights. The take off sights are a match for the old ones but sport white dots to aid in low light. Lower number sights front or back and the gun will shoot lower. Higher number sights make it hit higher.

Another option would be to number match your current front sight and install an adjustable rear sight.

Next step in my program is a lighter trigger spring and a couple extra magazines.

Will Beararms
September 7, 2011, 02:12 PM
Call Bo Wallace at XS Sights if you are interested in his product line. I think he installs them too or he can send your local guy instructions.

AK103K
September 7, 2011, 02:54 PM
Topgun supply should have what you need.

www.topgunsupply.com

I had two P6's and replaced the mainsprings on both with P225 mainsprings (about a $4 fix each). That should give you a DA trigger more in line with the commercial SIG's.

As far as sights, if the gun shoots well with the sights it has on it now, then Id just match those numbers when buying the night sights. Thats assuming they arent an oddball set. My one gun had been zeroed for a specific person with a weird combination of sight numbers, and didnt shoot where I was looking with them. I replaced them with the what the other gun had, and all was fine. I cant remember now if they were 6-8 or 8-8. Im thinking it was 8-8.

If you have more than one SIG, MGW has a good sight tool for the SIG's. It looks like they might make them for SIG, and you pay about half of what SIG gets for them. You can change both the front and rear sights, and also adjust the sights with it. Mine basically paid for itself between the money I saved buying and doing them myself, and the money I got for the "old" night sights I removed, and sold on EBay for around $35-40 a set.

Top Gun also has an armorers CD that worth more than the $25 or so they get for it. It will walk you through a complete teardown and reassembly of most P series SIG's, and also has a specific section on doing the mainsprings too. Sure does make things a lot easier.

daliff89
September 7, 2011, 03:27 PM
i'll check that site out for sure

where would the markings be on my current sights to tell me what they are?

Rinspeed
September 7, 2011, 03:33 PM
If you sign up for e-mails from Sig that have deals all the time on sight installation and refinishing packages.

BigJimP
September 7, 2011, 04:03 PM
If you're serious about learning how to fully strip a Sig down to a bare frame ...and do some gunsmithing on a Sig ...then you really need to invest in a good DVD that shows you how to do it.

Like this one from Brownells...which I think is one of the best...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40794/Product/FULL_SIG_SAUER_PISTOL_DISASSEMBLY___REASSEMBLY

Replacing the main hammer strut spring / main spring - may change the trigger pull enough to satisfy your needs ...or maybe just cleaning and lubing the gun properly ( deburring the hammer strut ) ...and other tips on the DVD may help as well.

Taking a Sig down to a bare frame isn't difficult / but its better done with some knowledge of what you're doing / how things fit together ...and using the proper sequence to disassembel and reassemble.
-------------
If that doesn't work for you - then I suggest you find a good local Sig Armorer that can help you ...let you fire the gun ..make adjusments until you're satisfied. Same thing on sights ....having the right tools is a big part of doing it right ...and they can figure out what sights are on the gun ...what you need to make the change. If you buy the new sight thru the armorer usually installation is part of the price / and adjustments for point of impact as well - usually.

Skadoosh
September 7, 2011, 04:03 PM
I love my P6, especially since it eats everything now that it has a P225 barrel in it. I carry it often.

AK103K
September 7, 2011, 04:23 PM
where would the markings be on my current sights to tell me what they are?
There should be a single number somewhere on both the front and rear sight.

A lighted magnifier with a bright light usually makes things a lot easier when looking for them.

daliff89
September 7, 2011, 08:17 PM
mine has a #7 on the rear and #8 on the front

so if i put a #7 on the front, it'd bring the POA down?

wgsigs
September 7, 2011, 08:21 PM
Just FYI my P225 has 8/8 sights while my P6 has 8/7 ones. The numbers are on the left side of the front sight and the right front of the back sight.

AK103K
September 7, 2011, 08:28 PM
This is a link to a P225 manual. On page 16, they have an explanation about the sights and the differences in the numbers.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/P225%20Manual%20cropped.pdf

Since you dont usually see any #7's in the night sight sets (Trijicon or Meprolight), Id go with the #8/#8 set.

pilpens
September 7, 2011, 08:50 PM
I replaced my P6's recoil and hammer spring with that of a P225. DA trigger lightened while the changed in the SA pull is not significant. Cheap fix before going to a Smith for a more expensive trigger job.

Before you have the sights replaced, determine the POA/POI with you favorite ammo, then buy sights to make POA=POI at the distance you shoot.

Mine has a 7 front and 8 rear -- it is hits dead center with Remington 115 FMJ (walmart stuff) using a 2" target at 15 yards with a 6 O'clock hold. My reloads are berry's 125 HP and hits approx the same at 15 yards.

Misssissippi Dave
September 7, 2011, 09:06 PM
I would shoot the pistol first to see how it shoots with the sights it has on it now before getting new ones. For each number higher with the rear sight it pistol will shoot about 2" higher at 25 yards. That is approx. 1" higher at 12 yards. When changing the front sight you move 1" higher with each number higher at 25 yard. Most P series Sig pistols (9 mm) use 8 front and rear. Not all of them.

The glow in the dark paint works if you charge the paint with light before you try to shoot with them. For a low light self defense application you normally don't have the time to do this. Either learn to shoot natural point of aim or get night sights.

The P6 comes with a 28 pound hammer spring. The P225 comes with a 24 pound hammer spring. I suggest you not to go below a 22 pound hammer spring if it is going to be a carry pistol. Reducing the weight of the hammer spring will lower the trigger pull in double action and to a lesser degree in single action.

Top Gun Supply does have spring kits for the P225 that are also the same parts needed for the P6. It is always a good idea to have a kit handy. Even if you don't plan to do the work yourself, you might need them some day for your local gunsmith to put them in.

10-96
September 7, 2011, 09:12 PM
Back to the sight illumination issue. Unless I'm way wrong, all of the paints require being subjected to direct light for various periods of time before they will glow- and then they will quickly dim to nothing. The various sights mentioned above to include Trijicon have some sort of radioactive goo in them (in minute amounts) that keep them glowing for 12, 15, or more years. Kinda like batteries that don't go dead. So, it's also worth considering that while the paint costs 10% of the price of the night sights- the NS's are always on and outlast the paint by 1000%.

No, those aren't exact figures- but they do hopefully make my point. Go with the night sights.

daliff89
September 7, 2011, 09:18 PM
i've shot it, it shoots high for me

how much do armorers around you guys usually charge to install sights?

and i looked up a YouTube video on how to remove the main spring, thought 'man, that's easy!'

i just spent probably 25 minutes trying to get the assembly back into position haha

Misssissippi Dave
September 8, 2011, 07:55 PM
I replace the old style main springs the easy way. I bought a tool made to do the job. Now it takes only a few minutes at the most to get the job done.

http://www.totalautomation.us/guncorner.htm

I have a few of the older P series pistols. They do get shot quite a bit too. I like having tools to make my life easier.

The tool comes with instructions about how to use it as well.

daliff89
September 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
for anyone that cares, i just ordered some #7 factory replacement sights off of eBay and a 24 pound Wolff hammer spring from Top Gun Supply

found a guy that said he'd install everything for me for a good price

thanks to everyone for the help

AK103K
September 14, 2011, 07:40 AM
Cool. Let us know how you make out. :)

loose_holster_dan
September 14, 2011, 07:55 AM
topgunsupply is a nice store. they used to be in that little hole in the wall, but they just moved locations. i've picked up a few things from them. good prices.